• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

So tomorrow Arena going to be Sprint only? Sprint/Hologram? Any map changes?

If anyone knows please tell. I don't even know where to start looking for this info on Waypoint.

Wait Arena is being changed mid-season!? This is going to ruin the integrity of my Onyx! WTF 343!?

NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!

iUt2AZT2jdSgM.gif

ibsIfOa2dMjiO7.gif

Pretty damn good!

mmh. Yep that It's gaming side gaf:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36615065&postcount=658
The Halo series has been butt ugly since the second one. Halo 2 is inexplicably blurry and the texture quality is lower than its predecessor. Halo 3 has this nasty motion blur effect that looks like you are drunk when you move. Halo 3 doesn't even run in HD. Even Halo 3's much hyped lighting system is all over the place. Gears 3 (while much newer I'll admit, but still on the same console) has considerably better and more consistently high quality lighting.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Halo way as well be a text-based FPS. Invent a new genre, whatever, just spare us from the butt ugly visuals.

neoism

Just quit out.

I have to say I've done this a lot in this game. shame there isn't a stat. I would like to know how many times I've quit. I reeeallly hope halo 4 has a better system for this, that and betrayals. I would like a penalty for quitting. It helped me quit way less in 3.

Also OP but holy shit at Firefox 11.0 :lol I've had 3.6 for like a year or more and its soo much faster. :p

Trey

Add drop in/drop out, custom hoppers to social, keep competitive the same.

Heads will be piked if bots are added.

FyreWulff

Heads will be piked if drop in/ drop out is added outside of BTB.

Eyes will be rolled if they reintroduce the stupid ranked/social split. Why yes, let's duplicate playlists so someone can see their rank in one and still have the rank but just invisible in the other, pointlessly splitting the playerbase for that gametype. Like they did with redundant Anniversary playlists that only offer DLC maps and one other gametype that could be in the other playlist but won't be because they want to gate the 3 shot pistol behind a paywall.

Trey

Eyes will be rolled if they reintroduce the stupid ranked/social split. Why yes, let's duplicate playlists so someone can see their rank in one and still have the rank but just invisible in the other, pointlessly splitting the playerbase for that gametype. Like they did with Anniversary.

It's not for the purpose of stats, it's so people can have their layback games that they have no pressure to finish. That way the experience of competitive can be kept relatively seamless because it isn't the only option. You have social to jump into if you want to sate your Halo thirst and you have no teammates, etc.

Or just put in custom hoppers and cut out matchmaking all together, but of course that encourages boosting, and DI/DO will have to be universal across all playlists.

Karl2177

Eyes will be rolled if they reintroduce the stupid ranked/social split. Why yes, let's duplicate playlists so someone can see their rank in one and still have the rank but just invisible in the other, pointlessly splitting the playerbase for that gametype. Like they did with redundant Anniversary playlists that only offer DLC maps and one other gametype that could be in the other playlist but won't be because they want to gate the 3 shot pistol behind a paywall.

Anniversary's multiplayer is the Anniversary playlists... I'm failing to see what your point with that is.

Ranked social split was brilliant because if I went into Ranked Team Slayer I could count on a competitive match but if I went into Social Slayer I could dick around. I played Ranked with friends who played competitive and played social with people who didnt.

With Reach every game is a casual mess. I cant count on a competitive game. I suppose if the Arena was any good things would be different, but that would just be a tick in favour of playlist duplication.

daedalius

So I wonder if the internal tools they use to make Halo maps are more like Unity or more like UDK....

Sure would be nice if someone knew.

FyreWulff

So what was the point of patching the game to allow the 3SK pistol on every map, and then never using it outside of the Anniversary maps in matchmaking? Why not just include the pistol on the Anniversary maps only and not throw LAN under the bus? As it stands, there's no place in matchmaking where I can experience Blood Gulch with the 3SK pistol. Or Reflection (since we play Headlong with 3SK in matchmaking, so clearly Halo 2 maps are considered classic enough). Or any of the Forge World remakes of classic maps that weren't remade for Anniversary. The only difference between Reach's pointlessly redundant BTB playlists is one has Anniversary Slayer, which requires you to pay for Anniversary to play. The other is missing this gametype but you can still get Anniversary maps in it optionally.

There's nothing stopping you from including Anniversary Slayer on Hemorrhage in matchmaking in the mainline BTB but it hasn't been done.

Ranked social split was brilliant because if I went into Ranked Team Slayer I could count on a competitive match but if I went into Social Slayer I could dick around. I played Ranked with friends who played competitive and played social with people who didnt.

With Reach every game is a casual mess. I cant count on a competitive game. I suppose if the Arena was any good things would be different, but that would just be a tick in favour of playlist duplication.

Ranked social split is a leftover from Halo 2's limited playlist setup. It pointlessly splits and duplicates playlists. You just messed around in Social because there was no rank loss anxiety. You were still getting skill matched. I stayed in Social because I didn't have to play against hostbooting douchebags who cared more about their number rank than actually playing the game. Visible ranks have no place in Halo anymore. They just cause too much problems that we don't need to have, especially when the underlying system is in effect in every playlist anyway.

Being 'ranked' will always drop a playlist's potential population as well, so the only gametype that can really support is Slayer anyway. Ranked Objective will always be a wasteland.

Besides all of the modders, standbyers, and general cheating in Halo 2, the system worked fine of having competitive (1-50) and casual (no ranks). Not sure why people today need to be rewarded for every little thing they do.

Always thought games were supposed to be about fun...

Ranked social split is a leftover from Halo 2's limited playlist setup. It pointlessly splits and duplicates playlists. You just messed around in Social because there was no rank loss anxiety. You were still getting skill matched. I stayed in Social because I didn't have to play against hostbooting douchebags who cared more about their number rank than actually playing the game. Visible ranks have no place in Halo anymore. They just cause too much problems that we don't need to have, especially when the underlying system is in effect in every playlist anyway.

Then why is it sometimes you get paired up with a recruit and three guests, then win the game 50 to -2? I don't care if someone shows me code that proves theres an invisible ranking system, I won't believe it.

Fuchsdh

I think the Halo 3 approach was less than ideal. Offering one or two social lists--bring as many guests as you want, full parties--and then clamping down on guests for other playlists seems like a better option to me. We don't need Ranked X for every Y playlist.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I think the Halo 3 approach was less than ideal. Offering one or two social lists--bring as many guests as you want, full parties--and then clamping down on guests for other playlists seems like a better option to me. We don't need Ranked X for every Y playlist.

Even with it's problems, Halo 3's matchmaking, especially after ODST hit, was pretty sweet. The multiplayer disc did great things for Halo 3 in it's final moments in the spotlight.

FyreWulff

Then why is it sometimes you get paired up with a recruit and three guests, then win the game 50 to -2? I don't care if someone shows me code that proves theres an invisible ranking system, I won't believe it.

Skill matching is a bit looser (to speed up search times) and guests fudge the numbers as well in social playlists. However, since Reach they don't have to allow guests in unranked playlists. I think this might have been in 3 as well, but I don't remember.

It's also dependent on how many games you've played in that playlist, and it's population. Looking at their military rank is useless since it's not used for matching at all.

An example from Halo 3 is where if I webt into Multi Team I could still win fairly easily since I barely played it. But when I was invited to Social Big Team (which I had a playlist General in, so at least 500 games played) I'd start pulling 45-50s into the games.

If you went into Halo 3 ranked playlist with a >10 rank split between players in your party, it was very similar to playing Social since it'd make the game go into Mixed Skill matching.

Visible number ranks are a good way to see how good a player actually is. Experience only ranks don't tell you anything.

And as for truskill supposedly working*, well, it doesn't. It is literally impossible that I have the same truskill rank as a lieutenant, yet I get matched up with them all the time.

*edit: in Reach

So what was the point of patching the game to allow the 3SK pistol on every map, and then never using it outside of the Anniversary maps in matchmaking? Why not just include the pistol on the Anniversary maps only and not throw LAN under the bus? As it stands, there's no place in matchmaking where I can experience Blood Gulch with the 3SK pistol. Or Reflection (since we play Headlong with 3SK in matchmaking, so clearly Halo 2 maps are considered classic enough). Or any of the Forge World remakes of classic maps that weren't remade for Anniversary. The only difference between Reach's pointlessly redundant BTB playlists is one has Anniversary Slayer, which requires you to pay for Anniversary to play. The other is missing this gametype but you can still get Anniversary maps in it optionally.

There's nothing stopping you from including Anniversary Slayer on Hemorrhage in matchmaking in the mainline BTB but it hasn't been done.

Being 'ranked' will always drop a playlist's potential population as well, so the only gametype that can really support is Slayer anyway. Ranked Objective will always be a wasteland.

I would argue thats the most important reason for a ranked/ social split. It creates a clear divide between, this is the playlist to play properly and where people want to compete and this is the one you can just go into and muck about.

If you think people just played ranked for the numbers your crazy. That doesn't explain all the people who carried on playing on theyre 50's. I have friends who refused to play Social because it was the most dull tedius gameplay to them. They wanted hard competitive matches. I also know people who refused to touch ranked because it wasnt 'fun' enough.

Technically the trueskill system might be in effect across matchmaking, but thats not good enough, there are human reasons for the social/ ranked divide.

Skill matching is a bit looser (to speed up search times) and guests fudge the numbers as well in social playlists. However, since Reach they don't have to allow guests in unranked playlists. I think this might have been in 3 as well, but I don't remember.

It's also dependent on how many games you've played in that playlist, and it's population. Looking at their military rank is useless since it's not used for matching at all.

An example from Halo 3 is where if I webt into Multi Team I could still win fairly easily since I barely played it. But when I was invited to Social Big Team (which I had a playlist General in, so at least 500 games played) I'd start pulling 45-50s into the games.

If you went into Halo 3 ranked playlist with a >10 rank split between players in your party, it was very similar to playing Social since it'd make the game go into Mixed Skill matching.

I remember a game I had played with my friends all of us at least playing 100 games in team slayer, being matched up with a group composed of a player who literally just started playing (it was 2 or 3 matchmaking games) and three guests. We won 50-0. This was in Reach.

I'm thinking it was in H3, but I don't think it's in Reach.

Top Bottom