• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Homeboyd

Anyone think there will be a "spec ops" type of feature in Halo 4 in addition to Firefight? Sort of a "mini-mission" type mode with special objectives and leaderboards, stats, and progression systems and co-op?

I'd prefer to use another term than spec ops since I know that'll get blasted, but it's the best way to represent what I'm talking about. Firefight could be expanded to take care of some of this, but the "slayer only" type of FF currently offered (excluding gen defense) just isn't the same.

And Frankie, yeah I saw your earlier mentions of the vast amount of Halo 4 maps being new which is nice, but that confirms some (at least one) old favorite returning. Just speculating which it would be. It also makes it sound like there are a lot of maps which is giving me a raging clue right now.

Im predicting a map made out of shield doors.

Has anyone else's xbox ever treated a game as if its a DVD? I think my Xbox is on the way out! At first I thought the disk was faulty but I had the issue after installation. So that seems unlikely? I suppose it could have been faulty enough to fail authentication. I am tempted to try and get Amazon to replace my copy of SSX but the effort required is too much if its not even a problem with the game. Thought I would check here first.

My very first 360 did this back in 06 with Dead or Alive 4.

I'm on my 5th or 6th 360 now (I've seriously lost count) and only seen it a couple times since.

Overdoziz

Banned
Anyone think there will be a "spec ops" type of feature in Halo 4 in addition to Firefight? Sort of a "mini-mission" type mode with special objectives and leaderboards, stats, and progression systems and co-op?

I'd prefer to use another term than spec ops since I know that'll get blasted, but it's the best way to represent what I'm talking about. Firefight could be expanded to take care of some of this, but the "slayer only" type of FF currently offered (excluding gen defense) just isn't the same.
I hope this replaces Firefight. Seriously, survival modes get boring so quickly. Fighting AI in the same small area over and over again? No thanks. With Spec-Ops missions you can actually have more variety of gameplay in each mission and they don't drag on for hours. You could also add leaderboards for who can complete a missions the fastest or who can get the most points and people will start competing against each other similar to when the SSX demo was released. I would prefer it if they could both be played in co-op and solo, though. Leaderboards for co-op is usually pretty lame because it means you can't just quickly do a mission on your own and try to beat someone else's score.

Im predicting a map made out of shield doors.

Has anyone else's xbox ever treated a game as if its a DVD? I think my Xbox is on the way out! At first I thought the disk was faulty but I had the issue after installation. So that seems unlikely? I suppose it could have been faulty enough to fail authentication. I am tempted to try and get Amazon to replace my copy of SSX but the effort required is too much if its not even a problem with the game. Thought I would check here first.
Mine does it occasionally but it's been fine for 2 years besides that rare annoyance.

Yup. While the game was filled with poor story telling, it was masterstroke. It was the bravest Bungie has dared in the story department since Halo 2.

Yep, there's a feeling that (I'm putting this in spoilers because of Krow : ))

Reach fails for 90% of the game and then elevates itself with a brilliant final ten minutes. Contrast this with Mass Effect 3 which succeeds, by and large, for 99% of the game and then throws away three games of buildup and investment in the last ten minutes.

Ripped straight from General Battuta's post via the HBO forum.

Although, I think Halo 3's ending was the best, very subdued, and not 'badass' as certain people were perhaps expecting.

'wake me, when you need me'

Awesome.

Hey You

Oh man, that would be awesome. I loved Spec Ops in MW3.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The only Halo game that didn't end fine was Halo 2.

while i agree that the chiefs cliffhanger was really bad, the scene with cortana and gravemind was AMAZING, as in my FAVORITE HALO SCENE EVER.
shame how that story arc was handled in 3 though *sadface

Trey

I prefer Horde mode, Firefight (ODST) type modes to spec ops. They can throw in little objectives like ME3 does to make things interesting.

while i agree that the chiefs cliffhanger was really bad, the scene with cortana and gravemind was AMAZING

It was pretty good.

op_ivy

I prefer Horde mode, Firefight (ODST) type modes to spec ops. They can throw in little objectives like ME3 does to make things interesting.

me too. i'd love to see odst style firefights; better mixed enemy types, enemies coming in via dropship or entrances (no spawn ins!), and limited ammo. reach's firefight was so dull in comparison.

blamite

I liked Halo 2's enfing when I first finished the game in late 2006, with Halo 3 right around the corner, but I'm sure it would have been a massive disappointment to see it back when the game first came out.

That said, I looove a good cliffhanger, and I hope either Halo 4 or 5 has a crazy one.

I liked Halo 2's enfing when I first finished the game in late 2006, with Halo 3 right around the corner, but I'm sure it would have been a massive disappointment to see it back when the game first came out.

That said, I looove a good cliffhanger, and I hope either Halo 4 or 5 has a crazy one.

I was alright with Halo 2's ending too. Also because I played it about 2 months before 3 came out, so I knew the wait wouldn't be long

ElRenoRaven

Halo 2's ending wasn't bad per say. Just one thing done differently though would have improved it a ton.

First they should have cut the chief tease. End it with Johnson, Arbiter, etc all asking about the ark then cut to either the keyship traveling through space or fade to a shot of earth. That would have been fine. The only thing that ruined the end was the line from chief. It really lead you to believe that there was one final level with him when there wasn't.

Trey

This.

What do people think about Halo 2's ending now? Is it still shit?

In a vacuum, it'll always be shit. I wasn't too mad at it but I really dislike cliffhangers. Especially now that I know the cause behind it and how much was cut. But now that I know what happens further in the story, the event in itself doesn't bother me when you take it alongside the lore that comes after it. You can always play Halo 3 right after, if you want.

GhaleonEB

Halo 2's ending wasn't bad per say. Just one thing done differently though would have improved it a ton.

First they should have cut the chief tease. End it with Johnson, Arbiter, etc all asking about the ark then cut to either the keyship traveling through space or fade to a shot of earth. That would have been fine. The only thing that ruined the end was the line from chief. It really lead you to believe that there was one final level with him when there wasn't.

Yeah, agree. The way it's constructed it really feels like the next level is about to start. An ending should telegraph the fact that the game is ending. I've always said that because of this, Halo 2 doesn't so much end as it stops.

Agreed that would have been better.

I never really had an issue with H2's ending, other than having to wait three years to continue the story.

FyreWulff

It might have worked back then, but if Halo 2 is ever remade the game can't stop there again. A straight conversion like Halo 1 won't work for that game.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I remember beating Halo 2 and thinking, "ok that was fun! I do wish there were more levels on Earth though....TIME TO PLAY MULTIPLAYER FOR THE NEXT 3 YEARS NON STOP!!"

op_ivy

I remember beating Halo 2 and thinking, "ok that was fun! I do wish there were more levels on Earth though....TIME TO PLAY MULTIPLAYER FOR THE NEXT 3 YEARS NON STOP!!"

"that was cool. cant wait for the english language version!"

:p

Yup. While the game was filled with poor story telling, it was masterstroke. It was the bravest Bungie has dared in the story department since Halo 2.
Definitely. It makes the weaker storylines of Reach much more baffling when you see how great it can be.

As for Halo 2, I'll never forget what my wife told me when we finished the campaign: "Is that it?! What a bunch of bullshit!!" :lol

Louis Wu

Citadel was better than Guardian and it is really unfortunate the last map pack did not get the love it deserved.
16212711.jpg

CyReN

Finished Mass Effect 3 finally, ending wasn't bad/horrible. Liked it but not loved it.

Finally can go back to Halo now.

CyReN

What's wrong with you? It's like the Fable 3 ending.

I don't even remember Fable III ending, now that game was shit.

As for ME3
I can understand the issue with the little boy like "why the fuck is he there", I think it was w/e the person memory wanted it to be (ie Shepards), I chose to sacrifice myself which I thought was pretty cool and noble, I can see why people would hate having him die. I did like the tidbit of Joker and friends escaping and ready to start a new "fear free world". It wasn't a perfect ending or the best, but I don't think it was the worse.

edit - Watched this finally, yea I like this the most.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I absolutely adored Citadel. My favorite 4v4 map after The Pit and whatever the Midship remake was called.

Guardian was alright. Parts of it felt incongruous. The hallways around shotgun spawn, mostly. I feel like it would need some serious tweaks to fit in with the seemingly much faster movement/gameplay of Halo 4.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I don't even remember Fable III ending, now that game was shit.

As for ME3
I can understand the issue with the little boy like "why the fuck is he there", I think it was w/e the person memory wanted it to be (ie Shepards), I chose to sacrifice myself which I thought was pretty cool and noble, I can see why people would hate having him die. I did like the tidbit of Joker and friends escaping and ready to start a new "fear free world". It wasn't a perfect ending or the best, but I don't think it was the worse.

edit - Watched this finally, yea I like this the most.

Actually, ME3 spoilers(no durr):

Alot of people aren't upset about Shepard dying as much as they're upset how the different endings aren't all that different and how each ending is fucked and you're basically choosing different colored explosions.

FyreWulff

Every map in that last pack was solid for 3. Too bad Mattrick thought holding them back for an entire year was a good idea. Instead of coming out while 3 was iron hot, they came out after people were being stripped away by CoD.

Actually, ME3 spoilers(no durr):

Alot of people aren't upset about Shepard dying as much as they're upset how the different endings aren't all that different and how each ending is fucked and you're basically choosing different colored explosions.
Mass Effect 3 spoiler:
Yep. And then the plot holes, the deus ex machinia and that no ending really mattered. tbh. I liked that Shepard died.

Oh i see Krow gets angry. Let's stop talking about ME3's ending.

Halo content:
WHERE'S MA HALO 4 NEWS.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Citadel was decent. Guardian is overrated. MLG version is overrated so what does that say about the stock version?

Truth

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It's only been eight days since the Making Halo 4 trailer hit. Feels like weeks.

FyreWulff

Citadel was decent. Guardian is overrated. MLG version is overrated so what does that say about the stock version?

Truth

I just wanted a single month where 7 on the 7th was 24/7 Longshore. Just ONE.

Fire...uh...well, Fyre.

Wat. Citadel and Heretic would get a turn too. I was just hoping they'd do the "one map and that map only" rotation for all the DLC maps at least once. I mean come on, Assembly got two.

CyReN

They should just tell us what this entire 'perk' business is about. All the confusion can't be a good thing.

I just wan't to know that I don't have to worry. :(

It came off worse than good also.

My friends who don't follow gaming crap as close as I do think it's going to be like Halo Reach with more CoD stuff in it now (which they hate) since the word "perks" got tossed around. Even though they like to play CoD they are getting tired of it and want something fresh and new and it came off confusing.

It came off worse than good also.

My friends who don't follow gaming crap as close as I do think it's going to be like Halo Reach with more CoD stuff in it now (which they hate) since the word "perks" got tossed around. Even though they like to play CoD they are getting tired of it and want something fresh and new and it came off confusing.

Yeah sadly I think the average person has heard 'perks' and its just been a turn off. Clarification can only be a good thing at this point. Unless the clarification is that perks actually exist, in which case Frankie should frantically run from machine to machine commenting out all perk code and then release the clarification after perks have been deleted.

Top Bottom