• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

ElRenoRaven

So a bit OT but interesting news. Phil Harrison joins Microsoft and Takes Peter Molyneuxs place running Microsoft's European studios.

Yeah, I should have put more emphasis on the 4v4 part. For some reason people like to mention Big Team when talking about Longshore, but 4v4 1 Flag and 1 Bomb were a blast! There were so many ways to attack the base. I remember Ghost-rushing Grav Lift and OS, charging the nearest ramp into the base, throwing the bridge switch and jumping off the window sill to the top level, grabbing the flag and escaping up to the bridge with the Grav Lift. And that's Halo.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I was playing earlier, got anniversary slayer on Hang Em High, host kept changing, and we all ended up with completely loaded shotguns lolololol. I'm guessing weapons respawn when host changes?

zap

Yeah, I should have put more emphasis on the 4v4 part. For some reason people like to mention Big Team when talking about Longshore, but 4v4 1 Flag and 1 Bomb were a blast! There were so many ways to attack the base. I remember Ghost-rushing Grav Lift and OS, charging the nearest ramp into the base, throwing the bridge switch and jumping off the window sill to the top level, grabbing the flag and escaping up to the bridge with the Grav Lift. And that's Halo.

I didn't get to play enough Longshore (or most of the Mythic 2 maps) due to releasing them late. Most of my memories of Longshore are getting a point then the other team quitting. So many times. :/

TheOddOne

So a bit OT but interesting news. Phil Harrison joins Microsoft and Takes Peter Molyneuxs place running Microsoft's European studios.
He hasn't taken over Moly's role.

Sauce: Former Sony exec Phil Harrison takes over Microsoft's European Game Studios
Update 2: An Edelman spokesperson wrote to us, stating Harrison's new role is "completely unrelated to Peter's departure." Microsoft will "determine if and when the Microsoft Studios Europe Creative Director vacancy should be filled." Furthermore, the spokesperson explained that Molyneux's position as Lionhead manager is currently filled by chief operating officer Mark Webley.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I was playing earlier, got anniversary slayer on Hang Em High, host kept changing, and we all ended up with completely loaded shotguns lolololol. I'm guessing weapons respawn when host changes?

that would explain a week or two back when i was playing on countdown and it seemed 7 of 8 people had the sword, lol

zap

As in you kept picking them up then a new host change? Cos weapons do spawn on host change. It's really frustrating at times.

Fracas

#fuckonami
As in you kept picking them up then a new host change? Cos weapons do spawn on host change. It's really frustrating at times.

Yeah, every time the host changed, I just walked over and grabbed a shotgun. Pretty sure everyone in the match had one at a certain point. It was awesome, in a really dumb way.

FyreWulff

Yes, I'm still upset the last map pack was held back so long. And I'll never understand the point of Assembly with Heretic coming just after it. Assembly (and Zealot for that matter) just came off as wannabe Midships.

Zealot is more of a Desolation/Derelict than Midship. Assembly is in the same vein, although it's more like Backwash with Desolation's eyes.

Wonder what 343 thinks about the current voting system...

Hopefully positively, I can think of a couple things I'd like to see but it's vastly superior to Gears and H3's. I'd maybe like to see them experiment with turning vote locking on in all playlists.

zap

Speaking of dumb gametypes, did anyone play Swords and Shotguns in Halo 2 LAN days?

I was a Halo scrub back then, but damn if it wasn't fun. Each Halo game after has had a better shotgun, so it has not worked since :(

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw this comment on Youtube:

Armor Lock is only made for Pros with Recon ,
Armor Lock is great for Recon , When ever i am attacked randomly from somewhere , I use Armor Lock to analyze the situation , And see where the enemies are and if i will be able to kill them with a certain weapon ,
I laughed, and then I cried.

fVWw3.png

Trueskill.

I carried on after you and Elzar finished. I wish I didn't. Matchmaking on Halo 3 is awful, its a real shame customs are never going to pick up steam again. :(

EDIT: I think im going to have nightmares over that first game we played, I seriously couldn't get a kill for a good 5 minutes. I picked it up in the middle but wow I must have been -10 at the 5 minute mark lol.

Kuroyume

Banned
I want to see more choices for maps (not game types) on the voting screen. Sad to say though that I don't trust Halo gamers to vote for the good choices so I hate matchmaking/voting anyway.

Elite slayer over and over and over and over

MrBig

I want to see more choices for maps (not game types) on the voting screen. Sad to say though that I don't trust Halo gamers to vote for the good choices so I hate matchmaking/voting anyway.

Elite slayer over and over and over and over

Why not just have a server browser in addition to matchmaking then? It'll get you into what you want to play quicker while retaining the full games of matchmaking.

Oh, so now you like the perks system.

Perk: Your vote is the only one that counts. Game of forever.

5 matches of Halo 3, boundless came up 4 times, Ewww.

5 matches of Reach, Uncaged voted for 4 times.

I was very excited for the voting system, but I've begun to feel that it actually reduces the variety you experience in matchmaking. It's largest flaw is that it also basically eliminates objective gametypes from playlists with slayer and objective [ BTB ;( ] in them due to the player base being nothing short of peons that slam the vote on the top slayer option.

I was very excited for the voting system, but I've begun to feel that it actually reduces the variety you experience in matchmaking. It's largest flaw is that it also basically eliminates objective gametypes from playlists with slayer and objective [ BTB ;( ] in them due to the player base being nothing short of peons that slam the vote on the top slayer option.

I feel your pain bro.

FyreWulff

Perk: Your vote is the only one that counts. Game of forever.

Fun fact: on average, a player that doesn't want to play objective will leave a list after getting objectives twice, and never comes back to that playlist.

Hence why if it's a mixed list, Slayer is usually always in the top slot, and why lists tend to start Slayer-only and only get objectives afterwards. The Halo base just massively prefers Slayer.

Fun fact: on average, a player that doesn't want to play objective will leave a list after getting objectives twice, and never comes back to that playlist.

Hence why if it's a mixed list, Slayer is usually always in the top slot, and why lists tend to start Slayer-only and only get objectives afterwards. The Halo base just massively prefers Slayer.

Sad.

Jeremiah found a way around it in BTB by making objective gametypes mostly what came up, and almost always having those at the top. Unfortunately, 343 decided to move away from that.

Indeed

I like Reach's voting system but would prefer the 2 round system in which round 1 is for a game type and round 2 is for a map. The more maps available in round 2 the better.

FyreWulff

Sad.

Jeremiah found a way around it in BTB by making objective gametypes mostly what came up, and almost always having those at the top. Unfortunately, 343 decided to move away from that.

Indeed

BTB seems kind of weird that Objectives come up a decent amount of time. I wonder if it's because since there's more people, the Slayer junkies can just get 'lost in the crowd' and the game still mostly works out for them.

Krispy

Does anyone else here feel shafted by the latest MM update? I don't have a decent playlist I can fall back to anymore. Squad Slayer was it for me; TU settings and only a few AA's. It was glorious. Now we've got its inbred cousin, Super Slayer. I'm finding myself playing either Infection or Anniversary FFA now for lack of desire to play any of the other game types. I would play MLG if I didn't constantly get matched against full teams. :(

Feels like Shishka levels of playlist bungling in here (almost), so what would HaloGaf do if they were in charge?

Here's what I would do:

-I would completely nuke non TU (it's the only way to be sure).
-Remove all AA's apart from Sprint and Hologram.
-Increase speed+jump height.

And for actual playlists:

I would set it up kinda like COD. So instead of Competitive, Community, Cooperative, etc, you'll have Slayer, Objective, Hardcore and a place for party gametypes.

-Slayers pretty self explanatory just have different team sizes (FFA, 2v2, 4v4, 5v5, 6v6 and 8v8).
-Objective will be 2v2, 4v4 or 8v8 (with appropriately sized maps) and sub playlists of Bomb, Flag, Ball or Mixed.
-Hardcore would be MLG, SWAT and Snipers.
-Party (for lack of a better name) would have Race, Infection and a mixed playlist of stuff like Juggernaut, Headhunter, Stockpile and all the other trash I've forgotten.

And that's all I've got for now. Come at me, GAF!

Failing that. GIVE ME SQUAD SLAYER BACK!

Fracas

#fuckonami
Just got something cool to submit for the HaloGAF montage if you need any more clips, Duncan. A buddy of mine and myself were in a gauss hog, and we got flipped, and I shot a banshee with 2 guys next to it and scored a triple kill, all while being upside down in the air. I'm not really sure how cool it actually is, but we thought it was neat.

BTB seems kind of weird that Objectives come up a decent amount of time. I wonder if it's because since there's more people, the Slayer junkies can just get 'lost in the crowd' and the game still mostly works out for them.

I think I've played an objective gametype once since 343 moved the first slot to always being slayer.

The cogency of your argument has forced me to not only reevaluate my opinion of Halo voting systems but also of my entire life. Thank you. Thank you.

Also: no bleed-through kills this game for me (again). Not having fun in Super Slayer. Double beat down may only happen once or twice a game but it still sucks. Would rather have no health packs on TU maps and have bleed through. The game would be more fun that way.

The cogency of your argument has forced me to not only reevaluate my opinion of Halo voting systems but also of my entire life. Thank you. Thank you.

Also: no bleed-through kills this game for me (again). Not having fun in Super Slayer. Double beat down may only happen once or twice a game but it still sucks. Would rather have no health packs on TU maps and have bleed through. The game would be more fun that way.

Yes.

Kuroyume

Banned
Why not just have a server browser in addition to matchmaking then? It'll get you into what you want to play quicker while retaining the full games of matchmaking.

Hey, I'm all for anything better than the crap we've been getting. Been asking for a server browser for years now.

Overdoziz

Banned
Voting options should be maps in combination with a gametype that works great on it. Voting for them separately will lead to bad combinations.

Voting options should be maps in combination with a gametype that works great on it. Voting for them separately will lead to bad combinations.

Not if the system was smart enough. Imagine if the first round was for maps, then the second map was for gametypes, but the system knew to filter flag out of the list if for example Guardian popped up. It could work well.

That said I wouldn't want it, it has its fair share of other issues.

zap

Does anyone else here feel shafted by the latest MM update? I don't have a decent playlist I can fall back to anymore. Squad Slayer was it for me; TU settings and only a few AA's. It was glorious. Now we've got its inbred cousin, Super Slayer. I'm finding myself playing either Infection or Anniversary FFA now for lack of desire to play any of the other game types. I would play MLG if I didn't constantly get matched against full teams. :(

Feels like Shishka levels of playlist bungling in here (almost), so what would HaloGaf do if they were in charge?

Here's what I would do:

-I would completely nuke non TU (it's the only way to be sure).
-Remove all AA's apart from Sprint and Hologram.
-Increase speed+jump height.

And for actual playlists:

I would set it up kinda like COD. So instead of Competitive, Community, Cooperative, etc, you'll have Slayer, Objective, Hardcore and a place for party gametypes.

-Slayers pretty self explanatory just have different team sizes (FFA, 2v2, 4v4, 5v5, 6v6 and 8v8).
-Objective will be 2v2, 4v4 or 8v8 (with appropriately sized maps) and sub playlists of Bomb, Flag, Ball or Mixed.
-Hardcore would be MLG, SWAT and Snipers.
-Party (for lack of a better name) would have Race, Infection and a mixed playlist of stuff like Juggernaut, Headhunter, Stockpile and all the other trash I've forgotten.

And that's all I've got for now. Come at me, GAF!

Failing that. GIVE ME SQUAD SLAYER BACK!

3 playlist for objective? Let's split the 500 people who play Objective between 3 playlists. What could possibly go wrong? :p

I used to think that too, but as sad as it is to say, I trust my party+the Halo community to come up with good matches as much as I trust whoever is handling the playlists. Until Juices takes over that is.
Then I'm out forever.

Top Bottom