• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Striker

Initial spawns on asymmetrical maps are almost always a problem.
Guardian was probably the worst of them. You didn't see that type of one-sided setup in Ascension, Ivory Tower (rockets/os for red, sword/sniper for blue), Turf, or Lockout.

And yeah, Longshore was poop.

Magni

But AR was the perfect starting weapon tho.

Sarcasm, right?

I don't understand, why Guardian over Midship?

Hell why Guardian over a whole bunch of other maps. Citadel was better than Guardian and it is really unfortunate the last map pack did not get the love it deserved.

Yes, I'm still upset the last map pack was held back so long. And I'll never understand the point of Assembly with Heretic coming just after it. Assembly (and Zealot for that matter) just came off as wannabe Midships.

I remember beating Halo 2 and thinking, "ok that was fun! I do wish there were more levels on Earth though....TIME TO PLAY MULTIPLAYER FOR THE NEXT 3 YEARS NON STOP!!"

Yup! Shame I didn't have XBL until March '07 though..

16212711.jpg

Citadel love, mmmmmmmmmmm

I absolutely adored Citadel. My favorite 4v4 map after The Pit and whatever the Midship remake was called.

Guardian was alright. Parts of it felt incongruous. The hallways around shotgun spawn, mostly. I feel like it would need some serious tweaks to fit in with the seemingly much faster movement/gameplay of Halo 4.

100% with this post. I still don't know which environment I prefer between Lockout and Guardian, but in terms of geometry I much prefer Lockout. If one of the two makes it back, I'm hoping its Halo's best asymmetrical map ever and not its "spiritual descendant".

The biggest problem with Halo 2's ending was that the last level was an Arbiter one. Really should have ended with players controlling Chief. Such a shame the Keyship level had to be cut.

Probably been done before, but changing only the level order and cutscene dialog:

Old order:
Quarantine Zone (Arbiter)
Gravemind (Chief)
Uprising (Arbiter)
High Charity (Chief)
The Great Journey (Arbiter)

New Order:

Quarantine Zone (Arbiter)
Ending cutscene:
- Tartarus steals the index, knocks Arbiter off the ledge. (No change.)

Uprising (Arbiter)
Opening cutscene:
- Gravemind talks to Chief and the Arbiter. Teleports them both. (Beginning of the old Gravemind cutscene). Ends with the Arbiter being teleported outside of the Control Room. (Beginning of Uprising cutscene.)
Ending cutscene:
- Arbiter encounters Half-Jaw. Cut off the end where Tartarus flies over in a Phantom and enters the Control Room.

Gravemind (Chief)
Opening cutscene:
- Chief is teleported to High Charity. (Second half of the old Gravemind opening cutscene.)
Ending cutscene:
- Prophet Mercy dies, Tartarus leaves High Charity. (No change.)

The Great Journey (Arbiter)
Opening cutscene:
- Add the end of the Uprising closing scene, where Tartarus flies overhead to the Control Room. Rest of the opening is unchanged.
Ending cutscene:
- Dialog changes:
"Why... the Ark, of course."
"And where, Oracle, is that?" "And how, Oracle, do we get there?"
- Cut off the end of the cutscene where The Ark comes out of slipspace at Earth.

High Charity (Chief)
Opening cutscene:
- Starts with a shot of the Keyship, answering the Arbiter's question from the end of the previous cutscene.
- Instead of Cortana staying behind just because Tartarus might fire Delta Halo (players now know he's stopped before he can), she now stays behind in case anyone tries to fire it (even remotely).
Ending cutscene:
- Chief rides the energy beam to the Keyship, which leaves High Charity and enters slipspace. (No change.)
- Play the Cortana/Gravemind cutscene before the credits start.

Credits
Post credits:
- Keyship pops out of slipspace above Earth. "Sir, finishing this fight." (No change.)

Just a thought. I like brainstorming edits like this. (Don't get me started on how I'd rewrite Episode I...)

Risen

Reach tonight! (finally)

That's what you said last night... tease. I'm out tonight, slept about 3 hours and working late tonight. I may be on tomorrow night though.

Guardian was probably the worst of them. You didn't see that type of one-sided setup in Ascension, Ivory Tower (rockets/os for red, sword/sniper for blue), Turf, or Lockout.

And yeah, Longshore was poop.

Nah... all bad... well mostly.

Ascencion - one team always gets rockets, then once big tower is taken the game is essentially over in a stand off. Assuming no banshee of course...

Ivory Tower - red team has it much easier off spawn to grab rockets, on a closed in map, with walls, stairs, short halls, etc. Rockets are by far the better power weapon here.

Lockout - spawning big tower was dominant due to access to sword and nading snipe to your side with the fusion cores... to say nothing of more cover to the power weapon.

Turf was probably the most balanced of those in that the race to the middle was fairly close. Still the team spawning by the hog had it a bit harder.

Risen

It came off worse than good also.

My friends who don't follow gaming crap as close as I do think it's going to be like Halo Reach with more CoD stuff in it now (which they hate) since the word "perks" got tossed around. Even though they like to play CoD they are getting tired of it and want something fresh and new and it came off confusing.

My exact same situation.
I'm hoping for further clarification on that matter really soon, simply so I can calm down my friends.
I have full faith in 343i's ability.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
You mean besides the fun sucking middle of the map right?
It's better when you're not playing with randoms. Randoms seem to really get off on the low grav combat, and incessantly flock to it. When I play with friends and HaloGAF, it's treated as it should be: a direct, but somewhat vulnerable/risky route from one side of the map to the other.

I'm not saying it couldn't be better, of course.

Lol, I decided to meander to the waypoint forums and I happened to stumble upon this gem of a thread:

HALO 4 SHOULDN'T BE DESIGNED TO BE "FUN"

Halo 4 should be mentally challenging and interesting, not mindless "fun".

I think he is forgetting he is talking about a AAA FPS designed for mass consumption.
The most we can hope for is that there will be a fleshed out skill gap.
But mentally challenging, I lol'd.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any way to bookmark a thread so that you'll always be brought to the most recent page? Right now I have the Community section bookmarked in Chrome, but I'd rather just be brought straight to the Halo OT, hah.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Gamespot: Sorry guys, satelite signals lost due to some weather issues so this isn't going to happen here. Sorry guys

wut

space is pretty bad in general. ditch it!

Lol, I decided to meander to the waypoint forums and I happened to stumble upon this gem of a thread:

HALO 4 SHOULDN'T BE DESIGNED TO BE "FUN"

I think he is forgetting he is talking about a AAA FPS designed for mass consumption.
The most we can hope for is that there will be a fleshed out skill gap.
But mentally challenging, I lol'd.
I kinda agree. And CS 1.6 and Source have been on the highest played list on Steam for years so is sales really such a strong argument?

space is pretty bad in general. ditch it!

I kinda agree. And CS 1.6 and Source have been on the highest played list on Steam for years so is sales really such a strong argument?

Well Halo is by far Xbox's largest exclusive franchise, so they are going to always keep the main series of games open to as many audiences as possible.

Also, you can't really compare the PC gamer consumer base to the console consumers...
There is a much larger percentage of hardcore gamers on the PC than on the consoles.
For example, MW3 is by far the best selling game on consoles, but not at all on the PC platform.

fVWw3.png

Trueskill.

I don't think Halo 3 social matchmaking uses TrueSkill, does it?

zap

Im predicting a map made out of shield doors.

Has anyone else's xbox ever treated a game as if its a DVD? I think my Xbox is on the way out! At first I thought the disk was faulty but I had the issue after installation. So that seems unlikely? I suppose it could have been faulty enough to fail authentication. I am tempted to try and get Amazon to replace my copy of SSX but the effort required is too much if its not even a problem with the game. Thought I would check here first.

Late here, but I have that problem a lot now (I'm pretty sure it means my 360 disc drive is dying), but it has been doing it for over 2 years. I just need to either eject the disc a few times or reboot the console.

I feel like Wu has an alert on GAF any time anyone mentions Citadel...

One of the best Halo 3 maps easily, one of my favourites in all Halo games too. So good.

Top Bottom