• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

What? You didnt like Pocahontas in space?

chortle chortle

As much as I love District 9 and Neil Blomkamp, I do think he's too gritty and narrow when it comes to Halo. Even the amazing ODST & Reach commercials are too in-your-face-gritty for what's needed in a full scale movie.

I want a clean cinematic aesthetic, with great wide angle shots, and epic scale. Halo's aesthetic could be done justice by Darren Aronofsky, Danny Boyle, or even the Watchowskis.

Glasslands is only divisive because some members of Halogaf have as big of a crush on Halsey as her progeny.
This is one hell of a simplification. Halsey has done terrible things, nobody's denying that, but the book beat us over the head with her actions so fucking much that I was sick and annoyed with it by the end.

The book compared Halsey to Stalin.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
This is one hell of a simplification. Halsey has done terrible things, nobody's denying that, but the book beat us over the head with her actions so fucking much that I was sick and annoyed with it by the end.

Contact Harvest considered butt touching a tactical error.

As much as I love District 9 and Neil Blomkamp, I do think he's too gritty and narrow when it comes to Halo. Even the amazing ODST & Reach commercials are too in-your-face-gritty for what's needed in a full scale movie.

I want a clean cinematic aesthetic, with great wide angle shots, and epic scale. Halo's aesthetic could be done justice by Darren Aronofsky, Danny Boyle, or even the Watchowskis.

Eh, I think he would have been a great fit, I assume the movie would have told a more gritty and personal side of the story, rather than something like MC mowing through enemies. The Halo universe lends itself to this brutal realism very well, and I also do not think it destroys the tone of the games as both can feel seamless although different.

That said, Prometheus looks like a beautifully shot film, and a Halo movie as such would be stunning.

Trey

It was just so bad. I would have loved a book exploring the moral ramifications of the S2 Project. It was the perfect opportunity to give more insight into the operation, while filling out Halo lore and pulling the ugly mask back on Halsey, her history, and her character. It could have actually given depth to an underutilized mainline game character: Miranda. It could have been an examination of humanity, in its desperation, being forced to sacrifice its essence for survival in the face of extinction.

But nope. Halsey is somehow a dictator. Just a bad, bad, bad person. Even though all her enemies, and those passing judgment upon her, have done far worse atrocities with half the degree of efficiency, and a fourth of the relevancy toward humanity's survival. Petty revenge is the summary of ONI's role in Glasslands. Irrelevant is the title of all the new characters introduced in Glasslands.

And even more annoying is that everything interesting in Glasslands in mentioned in passing at the end of the book.

WJD

I'm about to watch Alien for the first time. (I know, ridiculously lttp)

It better be as good as people hype it to be.

Trey

I've never seen it either but want to because Prometheus just looks splendid and I'm beyond hyped for it.

It was just so bad. I would have loved a book exploring the moral ramifications of the S2 Project. It was the perfect opportunity to give more insight into the operation, while filling out Halo lore and pulling the ugly mask back on Halsey, her history, and her character. It could have actually given depth to an underutilized mainline game character: Miranda. It could have been an examination of humanity, in its desperation, being forced to sacrifice its essence for survival in the face of extinction.

But nope. Halsey is somehow a dictator. Just a bad, bad, bad person. Even though all her enemies, and those passing judgment upon her, have done far worse atrocities with half the degree of efficiency, and a fourth of the relevancy toward humanity's survival. Petty revenge is the summary of ONI's role in Glasslands. Irrelevant is the title of all the new characters introduced in Glasslands.

And even more annoying is that everything interesting in Glasslands in mentioned in passing at the end of the book.

Call me over-optimistic, but we do still have two more books to go through. I think I'll hold off judgement on the series until the end. I have a feeling we aren't seeing the whole painted picture just yet...

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm definitely thinking that new gun is the assault carbine. If it does shoot lasers, wonder if more UNSC weaponry will use lasers.

I've never seen it either but want to because Prometheus just looks splendid and I'm beyond hyped for it.
In the next moment, you guys are going to say that you never watched Blade Runner. And say that Star Wars Episode 2 is your favorite Sci-Fi movie.

WJD

In the next moment, you guys are going to say that you never watched Blade Runner. And say that Star Wars Episode 2 is your favorite Sci-Fi movie.

Whoa now, I absolutely love Blade Runner.

Episode 2 is still my fave though <3

Also, do I want the theatrical version or the directors cut??

Trey

Call me over-optimistic, but we do still have two more books to go through. I think I'll hold off judgement on the series until the end. I have a feeling we aren't seeing the whole painted picture just yet...

Certainly. I'll be getting TTW on release, and probably the trilogy-ender. I just think Glasslands, in and of itself, is a bad book with few redeeming qualities. Had a lot of potential.

I watched BR up 'til about halfway. I was too bored to finish; I'm pretty sure I fell asleep. Same thing happened with 2001: ASO. And I don't hate the second SW trilogy as much as everyone else.

Although I do correctly hate the Matrix sequels. Is my scifi-fan cred redeemed?

Is Blade Runner that thing with the spinning glave?

nLRWt.png
It is about that guy who tries to find that guy because that guy who is not that guy did bad things to that guy and at the end that guy hunts that guy who tries to find him at first but that guy saves that guy.

I think the reason why I love FEZ's soundtrack is that it sounds like the Blade Runner OST. so freaking amazing.

Fuchsdh

Agree. You can have the brutality of the Covenant come through without resorting to pure gore, grit and desaturated shaky footage.

Which reminds me. I liked District 9, don't get me wrong, but why the hell did every alien weapon turn people into gibs? Did they exist on a planet where Quake matches were everyday occurrences? You'd think a more advanced civilization would also have figured out a cleaner and more effective way to kill people...

Oh, we're discussing dream directors for a Halo movie? Two words.

John Waters.

Cortana is morbidly obese and has an encounter with transgendered Master Chief and a few chickens.

Ewwwwwwwwww.

Top Bottom