• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Overdoziz

Banned
ignRPaGrmOr5J.gif

I have the feeling Spartan Ops will play as shit on my box, I was so pumped for Reach's Firefight and then it became a laggy as fuck and slow-mo like experience for me.

If this mode is 343's Invasion and Firefight replacement (it seems like that from some Frankie comments) and it continues to run like shit... *sigh* no thanks

I've got to agree with this. Hell, nigh undeniable.

Or he knows that Wu is a very different player to him and is able to account for that somewhat and make a deduction/perspective decision.

So when Wu says recoil is very easy to control, we should assume that he means for casual players like himself and that, in reality, we should wait until a better player plays it? I can't see that logic. Help.

So when Wu says recoil is very easy to control, we should assume that he means for casual players like himself and that, in reality, we should wait until a better player plays it? I can't see that logic. Help.
I would have said I liked Bloom and Reach as a whole for weeks.
First impressions don't mean much ultimately. (I mean this as a general thing, in this case I'd be more likely to agree with Wu/you.)

I would have said I liked Bloom and Reach as a whole for weeks.
First impressions don't mean much ultimately. (I mean this as a general thing, in this case I'd be more likely to agree with Wu/you.)
Yup. This time I'm not going to post any impressions of campaign without the caveat of them being first impressions. The turn around I've felt about Reach's campaign since release is remarkable when I think about it.

CyReN

Killa KC did test the game and it was at the MLG offices so that's something. A lot of the guys there too are former players that have a lot of experience in competitive Halo. I'm sure they addressed what they liked and thought.

The biggest problem with Halo Reach bloom is it's random when spammed, yes it does work at distance when paced but if it can be spammed and work at short distance it hold no real merit to try and pace. From what's been said it seems they've "fixed" it. I can't say much until I play or see gameplay of it so I can't hate/like it.

Yup. This time I'm not going to post any impressions of campaign without the caveat of them being first impressions. The turn around I've felt about Reach's campaign since release is remarkable when I think about it.

Every time I play reach campaign now, I approach it in a state of apathy.

Show is very good, but I guess that's just your bad taste ;)

Elzar in nutshell ;)

I would use the word 'refined', yes, I have refined taste. :p

No bloom DMR in MLG seems to work just fine.
It does, even better if it had a locked rate of fire BUT MLG's set of weapons is very reduced compared to Reach's "normal" sandbox. DMR works as the versatile and deadly all-uses weapon but you will be facing people with ARs, Plasma Pistols, Neddlers... you have to give these folks a chance.

*Replaying the Halo series, starts with Halo 1, gets to "Truth and Reconciliation," realizes he forgot about Reach, then switches discs.*
You did it right the first time, unless you're the type of completionist that actually watches Star Wars: Episode 1 to start things off.

Just play Lone Wolf, watch the ending cut scene and be done with it. Best part of the game right there.

Maybe because he was also playing against casual players, the recoil didn't matter that much? I mean, bloom is also a lot less annoying when you play against bad players because you get the kills anyway. So maybe that's why Wu didn't notice the recoil that much in the games he played.

Just to clarify, I'm really not bothered by recoil (as long as it's true to its description given here). Just playing Devil's advocate here.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The best point I saw against bloom I saw Ram bring up. It's the fact that it destroys multiple engagements. If you get in a fight with another guy and either kill him and he runs and another guy shows up you're effectively fucked/handicapped (weapon wise) against this new guy and that should never be the case. Even if you perfectly 5 shot the first guy and take no damage you're handicapped because your bloom is wide. Hopefully 343 listened and any element that could do that in Halo 4 is removed or not even considered to be added.

Trey

Well you also think it's a good idea to have a white flash across your screen if you get shot in the head so there's that.

Didn't say white flash. Some element to disorient the player, not necessarily a flash although it's the word I used. My fault for not really getting that across, I suppose. It was a means to an end; if there is an alternative to incentivizing headshots in firefights then I'm open to it.

And even then, has nothing to do with my supreme taste in American animated television shows. That episode got shit done.

The best point I saw against bloom I saw Ram bring up. It's the fact that it destroys multiple engagements. If you get in a fight with another guy and either kill him and he runs and another guy shows up you're effectively fucked/handicapped against this new guy and that should never be the case. Hopefully 343 listened and any element that could do that in Halo 4 is removed or not even considered to be added.

Bloom's not universal in Halo 4. It's implemented on weapons like the DMR which are not designed to be donging on multiple people at once.

Hey, I used donging in a sentence. Am I HaloGAF certified yet?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Not sensitive, just tired of trying to start a discussion about the next Halo or current Halo in a Halo thread, and every reponse is "you are wrong, you hate halo, you are mean, it is fine, tee hee, [animated gif]" and then people move on and start posting more gifs or use the thread as their LiveJournal for the next 8 pages.

It's mind-numbing.

No offense dude, I can see your discussion points, but you do tend to say something negative in nearly every single post you make. It just makes it seem like you want the game to fail, not that you wish to discuss the potential issues. Just my observation.

I can see some talking points in your posts, but when a majority of the posts you make are negative, or making fun of people for some reason or another the actual points you make begin to be glossed over.

I agree with the fact that it does get off-topic in here but hey, it's a community and there hasn't been Halo 4 news forever.

You do bring an interesting dynamic to HaloGaf though, for sure.

TheOddOne

You did it right the first time, unless you're the type of completionist that actually watches Star Wars: Episode 1 to start things off.

Just play Lone Wolf, watch the ending cut scene and be done with it. Best part of the game right there.
The best thing for me about Reach is that the playspaces are fantastic, the level design is just great and one of the unsung plusses of Reach.

The story however, just misses every mark and feels like jumbled mess.

It might be a "replacement" for Firefight, sure, but Invasion is getting dropped not replaced. =)
So 343 will just pretend Reach never happened and completely kill a gametype which has proven to be pretty popular?

Elites vs Spartans Invasion might be gone but that doesn't mind they can cook a similar gametype with Megalo and release it (after launch?).

Invasion is a pretty crazy experience, as I said before it's the only popular gametype from Reach's ones if you don't take Headhunter and Stockpile into account :lol

inb4 "but resources hurr durr"

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Bloom's not universal in Halo 4. It's implemented on weapons like the DMR which are not designed to be donging on multiple people at once.

Hey, I used donging in a sentence. Am I HaloGAF certified yet?

I understand that, I'm saying any mechanic that has that effect.

Trey

I can agree with that to a point. It can certainly place a hard limit on a weapon's capability against a static quality of opponent, but also can prove to be frustrating when a player feels cheated out of a kill because of the game. Where do you stand on recoil (the trending upwards of the muzzle during fire)?

So 343 will just pretend Reach never happened and completely kill a gametype which has proven to be pretty popular?

Elites vs Spartans Invasion might be gone but that doesn't mind they can cook a similar gametype with Megalo and release it (after launch?).

Invasion is a pretty crazy experience, as I said before it's the only popular gametype from Reach's ones if you don't take Headhunter and Stockpile into account :lol

inb4 "but resources hurr durr"

On that front, if they pretend Reach doesn't exist and look toward ODST for Firefight inspiration then I'm all about that shit. They're incorporating it, or something similar, into Spops, so it's not completely gone.

...I typed that entire paragraph not knowing you were talking about Invasion. I like Invasion, but it could be heftily improved. It didn't feel as epic and intuitive as I had hoped.

No bloom DMR in MLG seems to work just fine.

No way, it is super easy to DMR.
Also the kill times have a lot to do with it.
Looks like H4 BR shoots faster than Reach DMR.
Try playing DMR with 4 shot kills and see how fun it is.
You'll never be able to out DMR anyone with decent aim.

And honestly, people aren't standing still when you shoot them, they are always moving, you are always realigning your aim.
You won't notice if there is a few millimeters of recoil in medium to short range battles.
But it will nerf the BR at long range where the targets are smaller, I think that is the intent of recoil on BR.

Sai-kun

Banned
I am the male Dany.
Props/Pity to anyone who got this Nicki Minaj reference.

heh

why did i get the reference ugh

Kyle is seriously like those WoWplaying kids that love the game so much, but also seem to want it to fail more than anyone else. He obviously isn't completely uninformed like all those WoW kids, so that's a plus, but asking for no recoil? C'mon son.

Dear diary,

Not sensitive, just tired of trying to start a discussion about the next Halo or current Halo in a Halo thread, and every reponse is "you are wrong, you hate halo, you are mean, it is fine, tee hee, [animated gif]" and then people move on and start posting more gifs or use the thread as their LiveJournal for the next 8 pages.

It's mind-numbing.

~kylej
jk kj

Thermite

heh

why did i get the reference ugh

Kyle is seriously like those WoWplaying kids that love the game so much, but also seem to want it to fail more than anyone else. He obviously isn't completely uninformed like all those WoW kids, so that's a plus, but asking for no recoil? C'mon son.

Yeah, what a crazy thing to ask for. No recoil in a Halo game; it's as if he actually thinks the previous games had none!

heckfu

Banned
Jesus, this was a toxic environment to walk in to. Granted, this post isn't helping anything and pointing out the obvious is obvious.

So, uh....everyone be excellent to one another.

Overdoziz

Banned
No way, it is super easy to DMR.
Also the kill times have a lot to do with it.
Looks like H4 BR shoots faster than Reach DMR.
Try playing DMR with 4 shot kills and see how fun it is.
You'll never be able to out DMR anyone with decent aim.

And honestly, people aren't standing still when you shoot them, they are always moving, you are always realigning your aim.
You won't notice if there is a few millimeters of recoil in medium to short range battles.
But it will nerf the BR at long range where the targets are smaller, I think that is the intent of recoil on BR.
I've played 4-shot DMR and it's great. Only really works for 2v2 in Reach but with a slightly lower rate of fire it could work easily for 4v4s.

It's always the same people who stir up shit and whip their dick out, and the same people taking offense or trying to calm everybody down, let's all hold hands and post funny pictures.

This thread should just be bombed from orbit. We'll pick up the pieces in June when there's something to talk about and the obvious divide in personalities isn't so prominent to be dwelled on.

Trey

It's always the same people who stir up shit and whip their dick out, and the same people taking offense or trying to calm everybody down, let's all hold hands and post funny pictures.

This thread should just be bombed from orbit. We'll pick up the pieces in June when there's something to talk about and the obvious divide in personalities isn't so prominent to be dwelled on.

This is a fantastic time to ask if there are any communities that run through OTs as fast as us. We're almost on the fifth OT in as many months, I believe.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Recoil seems like an unsavory addition to the BR to me, but it does seem pretty tame, and I'm not too torn up about it.

Also: 11 sleeps
till I get my purple 3DS! So excited.

Edit : Actually, I want to address the "HaloGAF talks about too much off topic shit" thing. I think it's a valid complaint, but it's not one I share. I personally really enjoy the current culture of HaloGAF, and while certain OT topics annoy me (Game of Thrones, football), I'm willing to put up with it. HaloGAF is centered around Halo, but it's not just about Halo anymore. My question is: what do you all propose we do? Complaining and shitting on other people's fun isn't a good option. Should there be a separate thread for people who want to shoot the shit or something? Or...?

I can agree with that to a point. It can certainly place a hard limit on a weapon's capability against a static quality of opponent, but also can prove to be frustrating when a player feels cheated out of a kill because of the game. Where do you stand on recoil (the trending upwards of the muzzle during fire)?

On that front, if they pretend Reach doesn't exist and look toward ODST for Firefight inspiration then I'm all about that shit. They're incorporating it, or something similar, into Spops, so it's not completely gone.

...I typed that entire paragraph not knowing you were talking about Invasion. I like Invasion, but it could be heftily improved. It didn't feel as epic and intuitive as I had hoped.
There's ALWAYS room for improvement, absolutely.

I have had pretty awesome moments with the gametype but that's because it's what I mostly play nowadays. The more you play the more in control you're of the whole situation... I already said it but I keep discovering new routes, ledges and jumps the more I play, that's pretty awesome since the game is a year old :lol

Jetpacking from the Spire to the cap point, hiding over the Pelican just to drop on a spartan and stoping the core :)lol hate messages), using Phantoms' plasma turrer to defend the refinery (that shit eat shields!)... and while most people will yell about how overpowered shotgun loadout is I'll just pick my concussion rifle and proceed to shit on them.

TheOddOne

Shit won't change.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Recoil seems like an unsavory addition to the BR to me, but it does seem pretty tame, and I'm not too torn up about it.

Also: 11 sleeps
till I get my purple 3DS! So excited.

I imagine that's the case simply to keep it from being a long range weapon since even a little recoil at long range will make a huge difference in keeping on target. So it's good for short/medium range, but shit at long range where the DMR has no recoil but a little bloom to make it medium/long range.

Sounds like a family.

It's kinda like a big family reunion where it's clear that not everybody likes each other, but everybody is here for one reason so they push on through anyway and try to stick to the people they like

KyleJ/Letters/Juices/Overdozz - "Yeah, this is gonna suck"

OtherOne/HeckFu/Elzar/Stalker/etc - "Hey no it won't"

Gabo - Does anybody like Invasion like me :D"

Everyone else - "NO!"

Gabo - D:

Ramirez

Recoil is fucking terrible. Can't wait to have my gun flail around as I'm trying to BR someone. The "but but but it increases the skill needed to use the gun" is about the worst excuse possible too. Stop making it COD-lite.

I'm kind of indifferent on recoil, but I don't see how adding recoil plays into COD, none of those guns have significant recoil, that's more of BF's thing.

(Game of Thrones, football)

Why do you hate the good things in life?

Trey

It's kinda like a big family reunion where it's clear that not everybody likes each other, but everybody is here for one reason so they push on through anyway and try to stick to the people they like

KyleJ/Letters/Juices/Overdozz - "Yeah, this is gonna suck"

OtherOne/HeckFu/Elzar/Stalker/etc - "Hey no it won't"

Gabo - Does anybody like Invasion like me :D"

Everyone else except Trey - "NO!"

Gabo - D:

I'm on your side, Gab.

But everything else is rock solid correct. And even what went down last page (100ppp master race) wasn't hostile.

Top Bottom