• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Tawpgun

Fucking multiplayer achievements.

p.s. Turns out Bungie or 343 had plenty of time to remake or add in infection variants of maps.

Now fix countdown and add a fixed version of Sanctuary please.

I really hope that longest remake makes it into team classic. That playlist needs new maps bad.

I know it probably won't work 4 player split though, so it won't get in.

Overdoziz

Banned
I really hope that longest remake makes it into team classic. That playlist needs new maps bad.

I know it probably won't work 4 player split though, so it won't get it.
You mean that map that you linked to some time ago?
Because that map even has framedrops in singlescreen. :/

Not like that'll stop it from getting it though *cough*Temple*cough*

I hope the fact the Defiant and Anniversary maps being crowed with power weapons is because of Certain Affinity and not 343i. I really don't wanna see Halo 4 maps stuffed full of shotguns in every small room and snipers on every high point of the map.

Trey

I hope the fact the Defiant and Anniversary maps being crowed with power weapons is because of Certain Affinity and not 343i. I really don't wanna see Halo 4 maps stuffed full of shotguns in every small room and snipers on every high point of the map.

No worries, they'll be raining down upon your head as you cower in fear of meteoric death.

kylej

Banned

my biggest problem with the CA/343 maps is how heavy they lean on aesthetics over gameplay. Yeah cool Condemned has a neat skybox and the pelican inside is cool and the low grav section is cool to look at but it sucks balls to play on. Highlands is 5 times too big for its own good.

please 343, maps need to be fun to play 3 years after release. gameplay over aesthetics.

Overdoziz

Banned
my biggest problem with the CA/343 maps is how heavy they lean on aesthetics over gameplay. Yeah cool Condemned has a neat skybox and the pelican inside is cool and the low grav section is cool to look at but it sucks balls to play on. Highlands is 5 times too big for its own good.

please 343, maps need to be fun to play 3 years after release. gameplay over aesthetics.
Framedrops looking from cave to cave on Beaver Creek.
HOW DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN

m23

I actually really like Highlands, fun to play on. Condemned I do agree with you though, its pretty crap as is a few others.

Highlands would be a good map if you could ever get 8 v 8 on it. I've never played it on BTB though, I only ever got it in the Defiant playlist and Premium Battle.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I actually really like Highlands, fun to play on. Condemned I do agree with you though, its pretty crap as is a few others.

highlands would be terrific with less power weapons so vehicles could play a bigger role. also, 1 sniper not placed at a base, so infantry has somewhat of a chance. and i really like condemned, i just avoid the low grav section entirely.

This is my biggest worry. I find that the maps have dropped off in quality in Reach, compared to Halo 2, and to a lesser extent, Halo 3. The maps that are remakes are nice and all, but I don't think they work as well as they used to with the changes to the sandbox - look at Prisoner, Reflection, or Beaver Creek, for example.

Part of me thinks this is because Reach was almost "doomed" from the get-go with how Bungie designed the gameplay/physics etc. in the sandbox, and that 343 did as much as they could, considering the circumstances. Since they've taken control and are making Halo 4 from the top to the bottom, the maps might be a lot better - since they'll consider their changes better, at least that what I see when I look at those .gifs. I do want them to be pretty, but I also want them to play even better than they look. Wraparound looks promising, but I'm not convinced with Warhouse.

m23

One thing I really hope for is to separate forge maps from matchmaking. Its cool to let the community be involved, but I'd rather have a different playlist for community creations. I rarely get a match on the original maps now. Maybe its just the grey from forge that turns me away from those maps.

Arnie

I do love the aesthetics on Beaver Creek though. It's gorgeous from an art perspective, yet it doesn't get in the way of gameplay. It's pleasant on the eyes, which is a good way of going about building a pretty map, rather than dropping in a giant mech.

I say this from picture reference; I've yet to actually pull Beaver Creek in MLG matchmaking, and the one time I did it got vetoed for Slayer Sanctuary.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I do love the aesthetics on Beaver Creek though. It's gorgeous from an art perspective, yet it doesn't get in the way of gameplay. It's pleasant on the eyes, which is a good way of going about building a pretty map, rather than dropping in a giant mech.

I say this from picture reference; I've yet to actually pull Beaver Creek in MLG matchmaking, and the one time I did it got vetoed for Slayer Sanctuary.

It does play great too aside from what overdoz pointed out. That's disappointing. I will say though that it's fucking hard sniping through trees and vines and shit lol

Kuroyume

Banned
So where is Bobs? Does he not post anymore here because people are really angry at him?

It just happened yesterday dude. I'm sure he's just busy doing something. And, I don't think anyone is genuinely angry at him. Most (if not all) of us were just ribbing him.

Rockets, shotguns, and snipers spawn 5-10 feet away from the flag capture!

Great map design! #HIGHLANDS

neoism

Halo |OT4| Bioshock was delayed so I bought this instead

I'm a little happy it got delayed.... borderlands 2, D3, and halo 4 is too much to play at that. Nice to have something to look forward to next year. I haven't even been looking at this game, and was wondering why they were showing anything earlier this year. PC day 1

I'm currently threatning him on twitter

And in turn...

jblcd14CDUu0HV.jpg

I have asked for further clarification in regards to other enemies.

Probably Karl.

And in turn...

jblcd14CDUu0HV.jpg

I have asked for further clarification in regards to other enemies.

Probably Karl.

Karl and the homeless contingent of Oxford who pull such gems as asking me what the time is and then telling me exactly what it is after i pretend not to have a phone or watch. Mofos wanted money for that shit!

I thought GUI was a hobo but these guys make him seem clean and honest

Karl and the homeless contingent of Oxford who pull such gems as asking me what the time is and then telling me exactly what it is after i pretend not to have a phone or watch. Mofos wanted money for that shit!

I thought GUI was a hobo but these guys make him seem clean and honest

LMAO Amazing.

Anybody here play BF3 on consoles? If so, what is your take on this? I recently got this game, and I am really annoyed by no standard MM anymore, its basically all 'custom games' with random ass rules.

http://halo.xbox.com/blogs/Headlines/post/2012/05/09/The-Halo-Bulletin-5912.aspx

Has this been posted?

Addresses fan concerns re: grunts suddenly being vertebrates.

I for one am non-plussed by this change - it never made sense that they were arthropods anyway (arthropods could never get that big because of their circulatory systems)

I still think the old grunt limbs looked better, with their 'arthropod' influences. Its a minor gripe, but art and design is one of my huge interests, so I'm a bit passionate about it.

lol thanks microsoft, apparently blops 2 is 2012's hottest shooter. halo 4 gets a little circle at least.

oxm0712pcoverus-fullsize.jpg

OXM's officia site already has this upl'

Ouch, Halo isn't even loved by OXM? =P
Also, will it really have new info on Halo 4? Somehow I bet its a speculation article with some filler interviews and old pictures.

Thats pretty cool. I would really like to see a Halo Wars 2 eventually.. I had a blast with that game.

Bungie updated their entrance with Destiny stuff.

Source: http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=72094319
Now this is awesome. I really, really hope we get to see what Bungie is up to soon..

That must be a bit painful for IW.. The whole CoD situation is just blah, I used to love being blown away and taken by surprise by CoD, but for the past few years it has basically been CoD4 in a new era. =/

senador

Banned
Anybody here play BF3 on consoles? If so, what is your take on this? I recently got this game, and I am really annoyed by no standard MM anymore, its basically all 'custom games' with random ass rules.

This is why I now hate BF3 and it was my current favorite multiplayer game. I suspected this since I couldn't find any DICE severs. Thought it was a bug or mistake though. Fuck that, so messed up.

Tawpgun

This is my biggest worry. I find that the maps have dropped off in quality in Reach, compared to Halo 2, and to a lesser extent, Halo 3. The maps that are remakes are nice and all, but I don't think they work as well as they used to with the changes to the sandbox - look at Prisoner, Reflection, or Beaver Creek, for example.

Part of me thinks this is because Reach was almost "doomed" from the get-go with how Bungie designed the gameplay/physics etc. in the sandbox, and that 343 did as much as they could, considering the circumstances. Since they've taken control and are making Halo 4 from the top to the bottom, the maps might be a lot better - since they'll consider their changes better, at least that what I see when I look at those .gifs. I do want them to be pretty, but I also want them to play even better than they look. Wraparound looks promising, but I'm not convinced with Warhouse.
Best part of the Halo 4 maps so far is they said they're building them for certain gametypes in mind. In Halo 3 and Reach especially, they tried to make them accomodate any gametype.

Now they're taking Halo 2's method. Maps for one sided objective gametypes will play amazingly (hopefully) on those.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I feel like the maps have become more and more cluttered with bull shit. Intricate designs on the walls, little furniture, pipes and computers and screens and all types of bullshit where my grenades love to get stuck. Maps should totally ship before the final graphics polish phase of development lol.

Also, the pipes in Countdown that lead from flag to big door have the worst collision boxes EVER. Holy shit they're awful. The box goes out like 5 inches from the pipe in all directions and is broken.

That is all.

Top Bottom