• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Best part of the Halo 4 maps so far is they said they're building them for certain gametypes in mind. In Halo 3 and Reach especially, they tried to make them accomodate any gametype.

Now they're taking Halo 2's method. Maps for one sided objective gametypes will play amazingly (hopefully) on those.

That's great to hear. It's OK to have ~10 maps on release, with only 3 or 4 working REALLY well for Slayer, or Objective, or what have you. They don't all have to work well for everything. Isn't there that old quote, "Jack of all trades, master of none"? Same thing applies here, I'd say. It's better to have fewer maps that work perfectly for certain game type, than to have more that don't work as well.

Also, that whole pulling maps from the campaign was kinda silly, in my opinion. Interesting idea, sure, but I'm not really a fan. Give me purpose-built any day of the week.

I feel like the maps have become more and more cluttered with bull shit. Intricate designs on the walls, little furniture, pipes and computers and screens and all types of bullshit where my grenades love to get stuck. Maps should totally ship before the final graphics polish phase of development lol.

They should look nice, but be functional first. Not convinced on the Cyclops... If you compare Lockout's brilliant simplicity to Blackout, I think we can identify what's wrong with it fairly quickly. I dunno... I guess I really am biased, I only like "two opposing bases in a canyon"-style maps, and very few others.

Maps can look detailed and pretty while still playing fine, its just learning how to use art assets to your advantage that enhance gameplay.. Personally I loved Lockout due to its atmosphere, the cool blue with the snow..it felt alien, mysterious and, well, cold. You can make it look complex, like blackout which had an awesome setting, but the true key is capturing the feel of the ambiance and atmosphere.

This is why I now hate BF3 and it was my current favorite multiplayer game. I suspected this since I couldn't find any DICE severs. Thought it was a bug or mistake though. Fuck that, so messed up.

Yeah, it really is a joke, it basically breaks down like this:

BF3 has MM, then introduces payed custom servers which are basically custom games that replace MM, thus removing any standard gameplay you will find by using quickmatch.. Forcing you to play only these custom gametypes with no alternative.

They could have had a filter that kept standard MM servers in.. but no, they remove that option entirely. So now BF3 is controlled by the community, which means I have to deal with random rules on custom servers, and if interest dies on BF3 it will be even harder to find enjoyable servers.. what if people stop paying entirely? Jesus.

Ill keep playing the game, but forget the DLC.. Its just a fucking despicable mess, I bought the game based on a feature set that is entirely gone. And people are defending it.

I am very glad Halo, despite having some questionable playlist choices, has never gone this far astray.

Yeah, it really is a joke, it basically breaks down like this:

BF3 has MM, then introduces payed custom servers which are basically custom games that replace MM, thus removing any standard gameplay you will find by using quickmatch.. Forcing you to play only these custom gametypes with no alternative.

They could have had a filter that kept standard MM servers in.. but no, they remove that option entirely. So now BF3 is controlled by the community, which means I have to deal with random rules on custom servers, and if interest dies on BF3 it will be even harder to find enjoyable servers.. what if people stop paying entirely? Jesus.

Ill keep playing the game, but forget the DLC.. Its just a fucking despicable mess, I bought the game based on a feature set that is entirely gone. And people are defending it.

I am very glad Halo, despite having some questionable playlist choices, has never gone this far astray.

That's why I'm so hesitant to jump on the "add custom game browser to Halo" bandwagon. Yay Living Dead!

heckfu

Banned
I haven't checked in like 3 hours and was worried how much I needed to catch up on but y'all have been reasonable!

Elzar, twitter for iPhone is good but I just switched to Tweetbot and it's really incredible. Give it a shot.

And Tashi, EVERYTHING about countdown is the worst. Don't stop at the pipes, let the hate flow through you!

daedalius

That's why I'm so hesitant to jump on the "add custom game browser to Halo" bandwagon. Yay Living Dead!

Your feelings of how awful settings can be with custom games will be confirmed as soon as you join any servers on Halo 2 vista.

Sword/sniper starts all the time, SURE!

No shields/snipers, WHY NOT?!

Arnie

I feel like the maps have become more and more cluttered with bull shit. Intricate designs on the walls, little furniture, pipes and computers and screens and all types of bullshit where my grenades love to get stuck. Maps should totally ship before the final graphics polish phase of development lol.

Also, the pipes in Countdown that lead from flag to big door have the worst collision boxes EVER. Holy shit they're awful. The box goes out like 5 inches from the pipe in all directions and is broken.

That is all.

I was thinking about a Pit remake earlier and I imagined all the ramps to be replaced with stairs.

urgh

Your feelings of how awful settings can be with custom games will be confirmed as soon as you join any servers on Halo 2 vista.

Sword/sniper starts all the time, SURE!

No shields/snipers, WHY NOT?!

It'll be a mix of those types of games and MLG pros. Guaranteed.

On another note, sadly I didn't get it in the mail yet, despite ordering it weeks ago... I suppose I will miss that GAF Halo 2 Vista meetup.

Tawpgun

ibrw9vgbJWhlbr.gif

Someone needs to gif in flashing text that says Halo Reach or Reach.

And Tashi, EVERYTHING about countdown is the worst. Don't stop at the pipes, let the hate flow through you!
The amount of bad maps in Reach is staggering. It's really sad to think that one of the best on-disk map in Reach is an extremely shitty remake of a Halo 2 map (Sanctuary).

oh yeah, congrats on being an almost Doctor. I'll buy you a beer if you come to ACL.

I'm a little happy it got delayed.... borderlands 2, D3, and halo 4 is too much to play at that. Nice to have something to look forward to next year. I haven't even been looking at this game, and was wondering why they were showing anything earlier this year. PC day 1

Yeah, same here. At first I was upset, and then I realized that even more than it was before, it will be game of forever. I can wait for that.

Anybody here play BF3 on consoles? If so, what is your take on this? I recently got this game, and I am really annoyed by no standard MM anymore, its basically all 'custom games' with random ass rules.

I do, and it's really the main reason I don't play it much anymore. The server situation is so frustrating.

feel

Well look who it is. Welcome!

-------
Just FYI to all juniors, I threw together a Tips page with a few things that might not be obvious from the normal GAF FAQ.

Submissions from existing GAF members are appreciated.
"- Do not photoshop a developer’s head onto Baghdad Bob’s body."

I lawled. And that was not even my worst post in recent times.

Tips page is a nice idea.

I like countdown, one of Reach's better maps IMO..

Eh, I doubt it would be that damaging, as long as it didn't replace MM. Stil..if everyone started playing custom games and it hurt MM population then maybe it shouldn't exist.. hm.

I do, and it's really the main reason I don't play it much anymore. The server situation is so frustrating.

I just really don't get how Dice thought it was a good idea, or how people can defend it so strongly in the gaming side thread. It is just such a dick move.

Top Bottom