• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Fracas

#fuckonami
header.jpg

Dealwithit.gif

Lol am I the only one that kind of likes that boxart? I'm completely fine with it. Although Chief's stance is a little odd.

CyReN

Just makes it easier on me. Pick up both games at once...I imagine pretty much everyone will. Even those who say they won't.

Microsoft learned from Gears of War 3 imo, that was a good game but it got Duty'd and is in 8th place on the XBL ability charts with like 5 different parts of DLC in 6 months. Yes the game did sell but how the hell did that happen? Granted yea I should play it more but I'm a Halo guy. Call of Duty eventually going to follow Guitar Hero route in sales, and if MS believes in 343i this much that's enough for me. I'm glad MS has the balls to do this even though they make bank from CoD. Going to be a very interesting Fall 12'.

Homeboyd

Just makes it easier on me. Pick up both games at once...I imagine pretty much everyone will. Even those who say they won't.
I probably won't. I have 2 copies of MW3 right now (didn't pay for either) and haven't opened either one. I actually like CoD to some degree... I just have had no desire to crack them open.

Halo has me. Always has. Always will.

One thing in those RvB vids that was disappointing was that the sniper and shotty looked kind of plain. The BR looks so detailed and sweet but those two guns were just solid black. :|

Woorloog

Banned
One thing is those RvB vids that was disappointing was that the sniper and shotty looked kind of plain. The BR looks so detailed and sweet but those two guns were just solid black. :|
You're absolutely right.
Not sure about the sniper but the shotgun was straight from Reach. Not sure if Halo 4 has M45 TS or if the model was placeholder....

Fracas

#fuckonami

I'm most definitely not buying Blops 2. I'll reap the benefits of my friends' CoD cycle:

1)They buy it day one for full price, I laugh at them
2)A couple weeks later, I borrow it from them, play through the campaign. Then I play multiplayer for a couple hours, laugh a lot more, than say to myself "Hahaha, they paid $60 for this? Wow" while getting the disc out of my Xbox and giving it back to them.
3)My friend who is terrible at decision making then goes to Gamestop and trades it in for $20.
4)See you next year.

I also think Call of Duty will be dead within 5 years. Way too much market saturation +increasingly better competition is not something a game franchise needs.

Trey

I'm most definitely not Blops 2. I'll reap the benefits of my friends' CoD cycle:

1)They buy it day one for full price, I laugh at them
2)A couple weeks later, I borrow it from them, play through the campaign. Then I play multiplayer for a couple hours, laugh a lot more, than say to myself "Hahaha, they paid $60 for this? Wow" while getting the disc out of my Xbox and giving it back to them.
3)My friend who is terrible at decision making then goes to Gamestop and trades it in for $20.
4)See you next year.

I also think Call of Duty will be dead within 5 years. Way too much market saturation +increasingly better competition is not something a game franchise needs.

Like what? I may dislike CoD but technically it's solid and does shooting better than all games not named Halo. BF3 is great for all the reasons CoD is lacking, but it's a lateral move at best and not a huge step up from BC2 as a shooter.

And that's the biggest competitor I can see besides Halo.

Like what? I may dislike CoD but technically it's solid and does shooting better than all games not named Halo. BF3 is great for all the reasons CoD is lacking, but it's a lateral move at best and not a huge step up from BC2 as a shooter.

It doesn't matter if it's a lateral move at best when it sells 10 million units. It's definitely cut into Call of Duty sales.

But yeah, Battlefield and Halo are the only real competitors.

El_Chino

-Evade was a Elite trait that went Spartan. I assume since they are axing Elites in mp that evade as we know it will not be present.

-I really don't see a problem with using H3 movement as a template for Halo 4.

-I welcome a fixed RoF. I don't want the DMR being to only weapon that gets used because it makes other weapons useless. Different weapons for different situations. DMR long range, BR mid range, AR close range. Chose the weapon that you think suits your play style. I'm definitely a mid-long range player so I'll chose my weapon accordingly.

-AR is pretty useless in Reach imo. They even mentioned that it might not have to do with actual strength, rather just perception of how powerful the weapon is.

-Why isn't that worth mentioning? I just means that we will have more thought out map design instead of having maps made and then slapping game types onto them whether or not they work.

-Weapon drops can kill you if you don't pay attention to the weapon drop heads up. Apparently you get a pretty big warning about it. Even then you have to be directly under it.

Win.

Fracas

#fuckonami

I would count less popular shooters like Medal of Honor/Homefront/Killzone. Even if they don't really threaten CoD's sales, I consider them to be much better than CoD. If you just count straight up military shooters, isn't Battlefield enough? I mean, it has the the same setting with the same weapons, and it's just so much better than CoD could ever dream of being. I'd even argue that BF3 even beats Call of Duty at its own game. I'd much rather play BF3 TDM then a Call of Duty gametype any day. At the very least, it looks prettier, has much better gunplay, and I don't have to worry about spawning right next to people.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Ah, here's the boxart:

Trolol

edit: Ok I would actually be just fine with Spartans in BF3. Sure, you have your M16A3 with an underslung shotgun and ACOG sight, but I have a Spartan Laser.

Homeboyd

I'm glad the Halo 4-whatever is going to be on Conan and not Jimmy Fallon or some shit. I would definitely be skipping out if it was. It could be a video of MC and Cortana getting it on in the backseat of a warthog and I wouldn't suffer through Fallon for it.

The AR in Reach isn't that good MP wise, actually. At least not as good as Halo 3's. I find myself using the AR more in Halo 3 than I did in Reach.

Trey

I would count less popular shooters like Medal of Honor/Homefront/Killzone. Even if they don't really threaten CoD's sales, I consider them to be much better than CoD. If you just count straight up military shooters, isn't Battlefield enough? I mean, it has the the same setting with the same weapons, and it's just so much better than CoD could ever dream of being. I'd even argue that BF3 even beats Call of Duty at its own game. I'd much rather play BF3 TDM then a Call of Duty gametype any day. At the very least, it looks prettier, has much better gunplay, and I don't have to worry about spawning right next to people.

Can't quite agree with you here and there. But that's quite beyond the scope of this thread.

Bringing it back to solely Halo, I'm excited to see it go head up against CoD. I think the "scatter from the big blockbuster" tactic was played out back in 2007.

Really... people here are pessimistic. Halo 3 is fast (well, a bit) compared to Halo Reach so i'd say it is a good improvement, especially if we also have higher jump. And with luck, better strafing.
With sprint, i don't think we need to be faster than Halo 3... though i wouldn't mind dropping sprint and having even higher base speed. But i'll take what we get.

I want faster base speed without sprint, if sprint is added on after that, then that's great.

Halo 3 is very slow. It's base movement is barely faster than Reach, and doesn't have sprint.

Obviously I'll have to play the game to judge, but I have to admit I cringed at that statement in the podcast.

Microsoft learned from Gears of War 3 imo, that was a good game but it got Duty'd and is in 8th place on the XBL ability charts with like 5 different parts of DLC in 6 months. Yes the game did sell but how the hell did that happen? Granted yea I should play it more but I'm a Halo guy. Call of Duty eventually going to follow Guitar Hero route in sales, and if MS believes in 343i this much that's enough for me. I'm glad MS has the balls to do this even though they make bank from CoD. Going to be a very interesting Fall 12'.

Good points.

After watching RvB I really hope we dont have to play with that stupid armor. Hoping they just dont want to reveal other options. Hard to imagine now variant helmets etc.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Can't quite agree with you here and there. But that's quite beyond the scope of this thread.

Bringing it back to Halo, I'm excited to see it go head up against CoD. I think the "scatter from the big blockbuster" tactic was played out back in 2007.

I am curious to see what Halo 4 does to CoD's sales. I also definitely think Call of Duty is on the decline in general. All but a couple of guys I know gave up on the franchise after MW3 launched, now they play Halo or Battlefield. I don't think Halo 4 will sell more this year, but in a year or two, I could maybe see it happening.

With the release schedule clearly going up against Call of Duty, I wonder what Halo's marketing is going to be like this year. Please not a blatant attack, like Battlefield's "above and beyond the call" trash.

daedalius

I want faster base speed without sprint, if sprint is added on after that, then that's great.

Halo 3 is very slow. It's base movement is barely faster than Reach, and doesn't have sprint.

Obviously I'll have to play the game to judge, but I have to admit I cringed at that statement in the podcast.

The base speed certainly LOOKS faster than Halo 3 in the gif we always post, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

The base speed certainly LOOKS faster than Halo 3 in the gif we always post, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Yeah I agree, and was excited about that, that's why I was disappointed to hear they draw their inspiration for movement from Halo 3 in the podcast.

Hopefully it was be quite speedy though.

Ramirez

Halo 3 had the best jump, and personally, anyone thinking that you would be super fast just walking with the addition of sprint was off their rocker.

Trey

Dudes aim is terrible. What does he hit like 2/6 bullets, spray and pray BR.

Yeah, it's rather disgusting. Either bullets can hit even when the reticule isn't red because of spread, or one shot out of a burst does enough bleed-through damage to kill through shields.

Fracas

#fuckonami
How I'm feeling about spec ops/campaign right now:
eEjSc.gif

totally not an excuse to use this gif. i can't stop from bursting out laughing when I see this, i don't even know why lol

Top Bottom