• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Simple: To get them to play. More players in the game mode means more players in the hoppers means more potential matches that fit your criteria (connection/skill/social) means more donging. Of course it also means more players who want to keep their Xbox Live Gold and buy DLC map packs, but I'm sure that's purely coincidental.

It doesn't hurt skilled players but it does help guide lower skilled players. Where's the harm?

I think it's funny how people are saying they are dumbing it down. The skilled players are going to win regardless so it doesn't really make much of a difference. And at this point I see nothing that I would say is truly dumbing it down.

There's also one fundamental difference between this and COD that perks and anything else won't affect, and that's the kill times. COD is one burst and you are dead which means you don't have to be able to hold your aim like you do in Halo, where with perfect aim it takes 4 bursts(or 5 shots) to take someone out. That's a major difference right there.

Simple: To get them to play. More players in the game mode means more players in the hoppers means more potential matches that fit your criteria (connection/skill/social) means more donging. Of course it also means more players who want to keep their Xbox Live Gold and buy DLC map packs, but I'm sure that's purely coincidental.

It doesn't hurt skilled players but it does help guide lower skilled players. Where's the harm?
Honestly, if you're only playing "versus" a couple of times or once in a while, then there's something more fundamental about the game that's not sitting with you than having to learn the weapon spawns.

The harm comes from that it may or may not work as well as having fixed weapon spawns. Honestly, these weapon drops sound somewhat similar to the weapon drops of Invasion which made the combat very sparse.

Ramirez

I really feel like the DMR reticule needs to be about the size of the sniper reticule when it's unscoped. I see no other way you can keep it from not dominating in all ways again, unless it's really slow...

I really feel like the DMR reticule needs to be about the size of the sniper reticule when it's unscoped. I see no other way you can keep it from not dominating in all ways again, unless it's really slow...

With a locked ROF that is pretty slow I think it could be ok.

It doesn't hurt skilled players but it does help to inform and guide players who don't have as much time invested in the game. Where's the harm?

But aren't they playing other people around their skill level that also didn't know the times? The traditional weapon spawns didn't affect them. Only time it affected them is when they played higher skilled players. True skill is at fault here, not the traditional weapon spawn system.

Havok

As a question, what other big competitive games are built to try to do this removal?
I honestly don't know. Arena shooters are kind of gone now. I imagine Quake communities would throw a fit.

I think a lot of my hesitance with this stuff isn't that I dislike what they're saying, it's just that it's not specific enough. I want to get into the nitty gritty of how all of these systems work, and obviously that's too much to get into on a podcast. I'd love a video. Please.

Honestly, if you're only playing "versus" a couple of times or once in a while, then there's something more fundamental about the game that's not sitting with you than having to learn the weapon spawns.
You're right about that ;P

But every new Halo game has me pouring over the changes to see whether it'll click with me and my group this time around. Showing where and when the weapons spawn is just a small touch that makes the game more inviting for me since I won't be as much of a liability to my team when I do set aside the time to play versus.

The crux: Its just more situational awareness that I can take immediate advantage of rather than having to play the same map and mode a ton of times.

But aren't they playing other people around their skill level that also didn't know the times? The traditional weapon spawns didn't affect them. Only time it affected them is when they played higher skilled players. True skill is at fault here, not the traditional weapon spawn system.
Its not just the respawn timers. Its the locations and the weapons themselves. I'd think it would lead to more competitive games from the get-go with all players having access to this information.

Remember, for a casual like me how am I supposed to find out where the rockets spawn on a given map? Unless I study the map out of band or stumble upon it before it gets taken I'm pretty SOL. Now repeat this for every weapon spawn on every map in every mode. Over time you pick this info up, but putting it in the UI saves time.

The skilled players are going to win regardless so it doesn't really make much of a difference.
And this.

Ramirez

With a locked ROF that is pretty slow I think it could be ok.

All I can think about is how bloom was supposed to keep it in check, and that didn't happen. Like I said, no matter how much they try, one of the weapons will be the best, and the extra range on the DMR has me thinking it will remain the same as Reach. Shoulda disclosed the scope X & how much more range it actually has over the BR...

It's so hard to describe this feeling I have for Halo 4. I'm so excited that it could be sooo awesome, yet, im terrified that it could be like Reach and disappoint the hell out of me.

I'm also super disappointed at a Nov. release, that's so far away...

:(

3 days after my 22nd birthday, i'm quite pleased :)

Also, just realized, is insta-spawn going to affect multikills in a negative way? Like blaining a person on their rock spawn in Asylum.

If I'm understanding this correctly, they can halt multikills just by sitting in the loadout menu since the timer will be generous.

I wonder how much attention to previously established "lore" regarding armour customization 343i will pay.

For instance id love to see Older Mjolnir helmets and noble team helmets selectable to customize my spartan, Ideally id want to be able to recreate noble team and older generation master chief models as accurately as possible.

Im also curious about Customization DLC, it looked like they wanted to do something like this with Halo Reach (GRD) but for what ever reason where unable and we know from bungie that it was possible but very hard to do with halo 3, i really hope the necesary changes have been made to allow something of this nature.

Spartan Ops fills me with hope, while i understand the concept as basically "Spartan IV away missions" if the content is a fresh download each month and not on the disc (which i wouldnt have an issue with if it was) then id love to see it expanded beyond "S4 away missions" into something that could tell various short stories from the universe.

Playing as multiple characters such as The rookie or Thom or Buck, hell we could even have missions like Johnson escapes Halo, I understand these would require more work on the player character side of things but Halo 4 could allow for entire story based expansions on while all the multiplayer guys likely wouldnt really care i know myself and alot of other fans would get a kick out of that.

For example "RAAM's Shadow" DLC for Gears 3 was some of the best DLC iv played to date.

Another Random thought, I really really really hope 343i nail the brute design and keep it fairly consistent between Halo 4 - 6, Armour changes are fine but between 2 and Reach the brutes had a hell of a change from, Hairy wookie monkey to well groomed apes with beards to bald space rhinos with beards

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You'll know that this entire forum will be up for playing the game straight from release to BR unlock.

I'm here for you bro!
Top things to buy:

DMR/BR(depends on how they make DMR)
Rockets
Pro-pipe 2.0
Energy Sword
Spartan Ops, all day after campaign day.
Pretty much plan to burn through Campaign on Legendary, then tackle Spartan Ops before even touching MP.

Top things to buy:

DMR/BR(depends on how they make DMR)
Rockets
Pro-pipe 2.0
Energy Sword
I do have to disappoint you but you can not buy the normal Rockets. At least you can buy the Dual-wielding rockets who kill everyone with one shot equal to the grenade launcher of MW2.

Is that funny? It is right?

I hope 343 troll the shit out of everyone by making the BR unlock at, like, Inheritor.

Also meant to say I like the idea of increased cooperation in Spartan Ops. One of the reasons Reach's Firefight did less for me than ODST's was that it was more individual, score-based than cooperative, survival based. When I am taking time out from trad. multiplayer to play cooperatively with other people, I want to be playing with them, you know? Not competing for points.

eeblogue

Neo Member
I assume non power weapons such as the BR will still be placed on maps and available for players to pick up even if they haven’t unlocked them as a starting weapon?

Will players be able to remove sprint in custom games?

Sprint
-Slow down mechanic if getting shot

iSv6eDZlfAq6L.gif

Yes, an important question is whether Spartan Ops uses the same synchronous networking model the other 'campaign multiplayer' modes have used since Halo 3.

daedalius

Yes, an important question is whether Spartan Ops uses the same synchronous networking model the other 'campaign multiplayer' modes have used since Halo 3.

Well considering they are billing it as such an integral part of the game going forward, I hope they've improved some of the issues with previous iterations.

I asked Frankie, and he avoided. Obviously, that means expect the same ol' shit for co-op modes

prove me wrong, 343. Hate to have such a great-sounding feature spoiled by more insane button lag

Top Bottom