• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

iibak1lkqLDYh.gif
lol dammit bro, next few hours sure are gonna be a blast!

Ryaaan14

Banned
So on the drive home from work tonight I was shuffling through random tracks on my iPhone and I came across this, and for some reason it really had a Requiem vibe to it. Mostly the first minute or so before the vocals. Really has that technological isolation feel.

Shadders

No more sleeps!

Now I just have 8 hours to prep my E3 viewing area.

I take it there's no option for watching it on TV in the UK?

No more sleeps!

Now I just have 8 hours to prep my E3 viewing area.

I take it there's no option for watching it on TV in the UK?

There's an APP on the dashboard to stream the conference. Best have back ups ready to go on your PC though, this is Microsoft we're talking about. :)

Also DEM SCREENS. Can't WAIT. :D

Still awake, need to be at work 0930 EDT, fuck. Shouldn't have drank those Red Bulls halfway through my 5 hour drive from PA, nor jumped onto GAF once I got home. Went on a following spree on Twitter, adding every HaloGAFfer I could find.

I'm going to be at work for the duration of the Microsoft conference.

Halo-4-006.jpg

Now this looks like shit.

Hype deflated.

Melee
Melee
Melee

(You people defend 2 melee's to kill, so don't blame me)

Also, curious at some of the posts earlier, that blatantly appears to be the Railgun on the left to me, yet some posters were saying they it was clearly not the Railgun. Someone is wrong.

Ryaaan14

Banned
The weapon is the key. That holds new info right there. Yeah that one skybox was good, but I'll take new bits over the typically amazing skyboxes in Halo.

Are you fucking kidding me. That was by far the best shot of the few.

I've been against the Gundam Spartans since the first time I saw 'em, though. I dunno what crowd 343's trying to attract with that new style, but I'm not a part of it.

At this point we know enough about multiplayer and how it has changed up.

Edit: I'm acting like a dick, he is right to voice his opinion. My bad Ninja.

Yeah, and I've been pretty vocal in saying "WTF is thsi shit?"

It's okay, I can be overly negative. Seeing everyone get hyped on something that really doesn't look all that good to me is frustrating. Especially when people start deluding themselves with the "Bu bu bu it's still a beta, it'll change!"-comments.

At this point we know enough about Multiplayer and how it has changed up.
So what?!?
So I'm not a loud to express my dissatisfaction with "known" components of games?
I say "known" because we know most of this stuff on a theoretical level rather than a gameplay footage one.

It's a screenshot! A new ome even! He is damn well allowed to say if he likes it or not!

Edit: Well now. <3 TheOddOne

Ryaaan14

Banned
I've been against the Gundam Spartans since the first time I saw 'em, though. I dunno what crowd 343's trying to attract with that new style, but I'm not a part of it.

I was absolutely leery at first, but it could make a whole lot of sense in the actual fiction they're adding into MP. Especially if you play as your MP Spartan in Spartan Ops. I don't think it's about attracting new crowds as it is supporting the storyline evolution.

monome

70's/80's japanese cartoons were so much superior to anything from that time in terms of design and nowaday's japanese design is so convoluted that 've create lolly mechs, I'm very pleased an american studio has dug up the "awesome" archives and run with its vision.

30 years old :

Don't see a problem with being inspired by visionnaries. And it looks like there will be a TON of armor permutations.

I was absolutely leery at first, but it could make a whole lot of sense in the actual fiction they're adding into MP. Especially if you play as your MP Spartan in Spartan Ops. I don't think it's about attracting new crowds as it is supporting the storyline evolution.

I'm talking strictly about the way they look, though. They can canonically explain it by saying they got japanese manufacturers working on it after the war, but that doesn't change the fact that I think they look like shit.

70's/80's japanese cartoons were so much superior to anything from that time in terms of design and nowaday's japanese design is so convoluted that 've create lolly mechs, I'm very pleased an american studio has dug up the "awesome" archives and run with its vision.

And I'm not. Simple as that, really. I hope the campaign can convince me, but I think multiplayer is gonna have to play really good for me to even want to keep playing it.

zap

Is the problem with the screenshot the Spartan IV's design or the fact that they are melee rushing?

It's obviously posed, so I don't know that melee rushing is a valid conclusion to draw from it (those videos from a few months back however...).

I don't mind the design, they look kinda badass, but different enough from the Chief.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I'm talking strictly about the way they look, though. They can canonically explain it by saying they got japanese manufacturers working on it after the war, but that doesn't change the fact that I think they look like shit.

It's amazing how great context can change one's mind about something "looking like shit". ;_)

But seriously, I feel you. I just hope you eventually come around. There really is a whole lot of potential here as far as customization, I'd be shocked if they didn't have an unlockable Mark VI set.

Is the problem with the screenshot the Spartan IV's design or the fact that they are melee rushing?

It's obviously posed, so I don't know that melee rushing is a valid conclusion to draw from it (those videos from a few months back however...).

I don't mind the design, they look kinda badass, but different enough from the Chief.

Let's just say that to me, they look like they're from a spinoff of Vanquish rather than the next major installment in the Halo series, sans the codpiece.

tOaLJ.jpg

I get 343 wants to put their own unique 'mark' on things. It just so happens that I think their mark, while fine technically, just doesn't look very good from an artistic standpoint. At least the environments look great.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I kind of see it as unfair to judge the design style, as it was built before it's time.

"Oh shit guys, a lot of other games are using stuff that could be considered Forerunner-esque. Perhaps we should just add horses and buggies in Halo 4".

We knew it was coming, and regardless of the other games that show similar style, this is a clear continuation of a storyline, not a deus ex machina style revamp.

People that like big booties. Seriously, look at those things.

Edit: Didn't even see Plywood's post there. Great minds think alike.

And big packages. Maybe it's ONI's new psychological warfare technique: distract ancient evil by exposing your crotch.

I kind of see it as unfair to judge the design style, as it was built before it's time.

... What? A change in design style is a change in design style. I wouldn't mind that it looked like Vanquish if it actually looked good to me. It doesn't.

What follows next is a highly subjective statement: the Spartan IV's, to me, look like they jumped straight from the shittiest part of Halo Legends into a 3D renderer and were made canon, appearance-wise. Ever since Halo 4 got announced I've been having the feeling that 343's drawing heavy inspiration from eastern developers, especially when it comes to the armor. I wouldn't be surprised if they had some pictures of the aforementioned Gundams and Sam Gideon hanging on their design wall. And while that's fine for certain people, I'm not a fan of the style, and I'm letting people know I'm not a fan of the style.

Ryaaan14

Banned
[04:39] == MTW [~MTW@pool-98-114-203-18.phlapa.fios.verizon.net] has joined #halogaf
[04:39] <MTW> HELLO
[04:39] <MTW> THIS IS MTW SPEAKING
[04:42] <Ryaaan14> Screenshots or it didn't happen
[04:42] <MTW> oh? screenshots of what?
[04:43] <Ryaaan14> Beta menu.
[04:43] <MTW> sure.
[04:43] <MTW> let me wake up my xbox.
[04:43] <Ryaaan14> Waiting.
[04:43] <MTW> you're going to be waiting at least 5 minutes.
[04:43] <Ryaaan14> Well fucking hell. brb setting alarm clock
[04:44] <Ryaaan14> That dilapidated dev console?
[04:44] <MTW> what?
[04:44] <Ryaaan14> I have an OG brick and that shit boots up in a good 20 secs.
[04:44] <MTW> i had to plug a console actually in
[04:45] <MTW> and pull the photo out of Photo Stream
[04:45] <MTW> which is what i am currently waiting on
[04:45] <Ryaaan14> So while we wait for your shit to boot
[04:45] <MTW> there we go
[04:45] <Ryaaan14> What do you think of HaloGAF
[04:45] <MTW> I approve.
[04:45] <MTW> http://i.imgur.com/EgHKG.jpg
[04:46] <Ryaaan14> I have one final request.
[04:46] <Ryaaan14> Before I totally believe you
[04:46] <MTW> ask and we shall recieve
[04:46] <MTW> so long as it isn't me fucking myself
[04:46] <Ryaaan14> Write on a little note "Hello HaloGAF" on the shotgun loadout
[04:46] <Ryaaan14> So you can see both
[04:46] <MTW> hah.
[04:47] <MTW> let me see
[04:47] <Ryaaan14> That'll make the internet explode
[04:47] <MTW> instead of writing, I will print a note.
[04:47] <Ryaaan14> Kotaku will probably net around $5k from it
[04:47] <MTW> fuck Kotaku, seriously
[04:47] <Ryaaan14> No, write it.
[04:47] <MTW> my hand writing is attrocious
[04:47] <Ryaaan14> Print can be photoshopped.
[04:47] <Ryaaan14> idc
[04:47] <Ryaaan14> So is mine bro
[04:47] <MTW> well, let's find a pen...
[04:48] <Ryaaan14> Actually
[04:49] <MTW> this is going to take some doing. written.
[04:49] <Ryaaan14> While you do that, why don't you make a tweet @Ryaaan14
[04:49] <Ryaaan14> Should have probably said that first
[04:49] <MTW> done
[04:49] <Ryaaan14> Lurker proof.
[04:50] <MTW>
[04:50] <Ryaaan14> Oh shit lmao
[04:50] <MTW> enjoy my hand writing
[04:51] <Ryaaan14> Hahahaha
[04:51] <Ryaaan14> Can I ask you a few questions?
[04:51] <MTW> go!
[04:51] <Ryaaan14> Armor
[04:51] <MTW> what about armor?
[04:51] <Ryaaan14> Is it custimizable by piece or by set
[04:52] <MTW> it is just like it is in reach
[04:52] <MTW> exactly
[04:52] <Ryaaan14> So by piece.
[04:52] <MTW> paintable only as a whole
[04:52] <MTW> yes
[04:52] <MTW> helmet/chest/etc
[04:52] <Ryaaan14> Ok so skins are whole
[04:52] <MTW> yep, i said that on twitter actually
[04:52] <Ryaaan14> How scaled are loadout/perk unlocks?
[04:53] <Ryaaan14> I know beta is beta, but ya know.
[04:53] <MTW> not well
[04:53] <MTW> you just get credit to buy whatever you want
[04:53] <MTW> some better stuff is tied to having a higher level
[04:53] <MTW> you get perks that make you deadly pretty early on
[04:53] <Ryaaan14> How do you feel about the aim assist?
[04:53] <MTW> that has never bothered me in any game, so no real opinion
[04:54] <Ryaaan14> Did you play Halo 3 and Reach?
[04:54] <MTW> yes
[04:54] <Ryaaan14> Which does the movement/aiming feel closer to?
[04:54] <MTW> good question.
[04:54] <MTW> if halo 3 had jet packs.
[04:54] <Ryaaan14> Ok
[04:54] <Ryaaan14> About that
[04:55] <Ryaaan14> How does the "jet booster" play?
[04:55] <MTW> it just shoots you horizonal. very weird.
[04:55] <MTW> regular jet pack is still in though
[04:55] <MTW> the armor ability menu scrolls futher than you guys have seen
[04:55] <MTW> one last item is on that screen
[04:55] <MTW> jet pack.
[04:55] <Ryaaan14> So boost and jetback are separate things?
[04:55] <Ryaaan14> *jetpack
[04:55] <MTW> yes.
[04:56] <MTW> jet pack is an armor ability
[04:56] <MTW> but you unlock it late
[04:56] <Ryaaan14> What is boost then?
[04:56] <MTW> thruster unlocks earlyish
[04:56] <Ryaaan14> A perk?
[04:56] <MTW> for a second i thought that wasn't an armor ability, had to check. it is one as well.
[04:56] <Ryaaan14> Ok so you can get a nerfec jetpack earlier
[04:56] <Ryaaan14> *nerfed
[04:56] <MTW> not so nerfed, but yes.
[04:57] <Ryaaan14> Ok, bloom
[04:57] <Ryaaan14> Does it exist
[04:57] <MTW> not really, no.
[04:57] <MTW> nothing like reach
[04:57] <MTW> shots go where you point.
[04:57] <Ryaaan14> So bloom is ONLY visual?
[04:57] <Ryaaan14> Just to time shots
[04:58] <MTW> that appears to be it, yes. keep in mind I am not a halo expert. i just know i hated how rifles worked in reach, and this is much better.
[04:58] <Ryaaan14> Good to know
[04:58] <Ryaaan14> Do you know anything about player tags?
[04:59] <Ryaaan14> Like the 4 character title we had
[04:59] <MTW> same as before
[04:59] <MTW> 4 character tag
[04:59] <Ryaaan14> Ok
[04:59] <Ryaaan14> How does the Sniper feel?
[04:59] <FyreWulff> all i want to know is
[04:59] <MTW> fucking great.
[04:59] <MTW> like halo 1
[04:59] <FyreWulff> does the game have Legacy sticks
[04:59] <Ryaaan14> lmao here we go
[04:59] <MTW> checking
[05:00] <MTW> yep!
[05:00] <FyreWulff> hooray
[05:00] <MTW> legacy/legacy southpaw is in
[05:00] <FyreWulff> we're good then
[05:00] <FyreWulff> don't give two shits about multi
[05:00] <FyreWulff> so i at least know i can still play campaign
[05:00] <FyreWulff> :3
[05:00] <Ryaaan14> On that note, recon control sceme?
[05:00] <Ryaaan14> *scheme?
[05:01] <MTW> it's in.
[05:01] <Ryaaan14> Good.
[05:01] <Ryaaan14> Can you list the perks?
[05:01] <MTW> that's a looong fucking list
[05:01] <Ryaaan14> I've got time.
[05:01] <MTW> i'd rather not transcribe that much shit, not now anyway
[05:01] <MTW> ask again later
[05:01] <MTW> you have them all anyway it hink
[05:02] <MTW> didn't that italian site leak those?

Top Bottom