• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker

It's such a shame that the Firefight achievements in Reach were glitchable. Getting that one achievement in ODST was one of the most challenging yet rewarding experiences I've had. I also appreciated the sandbox changes; removing the BR but buffing the pistol, forcing players to utilise plasma much more.
There were lots of reasons: no unlimited weapon caches, skulls which permitted specific gameplay (the one to melee to acquire back your shields, awful), tiny jump height, slow base speed, and the stamina system, which made health packs and their importance that much greater.

You were a more powerful player in Reach, thus pushing some of those settings out the window.

I don't feel as much nostalgia for H:CE maps mostly because of the teleporters. Gravlifts and man-cannons offer ways to get across the map that are less camping-prone, and (I think) more fun.
They made changes in remakes (Hemorrhage base design notwithstanding), and they were far better for gameplay. Beaver Creek's dirt ramps, Warlock's air lifts and bottom center to spawn bomb, Coagulation's base design and general terrain/TP area), and the subtle changes in Desolation and Tombstone were pretty sufficient. The ledge by the Needler and the underneath hallway by red team OS in Tombstone, swapping team bases so the larger base is defended, rather than the attacker, for example.

FyreWulff

Why can't all weapons be a viable primary option?

Because then there's no point to having other weapons. You're just wasting RAM at that point. The H1 Pistol was more intended for campaign than multi. As Trey pointed out, it's role became the BR and then the DMR.

See also: ODST Pistol. Overpowered, "broken" (compared to other weapon abilities in Halo), didn't matter though because it was designed around campaign and not multiplayer. Would have been terrible to have in versus multi.

But then again, you're going to have the DMR, BR, and Carbine all fulfilling the same fucking role in Halo 4, so you're not really dealing with Bungie here.

Being a 5-6sk and just 8 rounds is really silly. I have a bigger issue with its tiny clip size than its bloom behavior, really
If I had it my way:
  • 5 shot kill (4 body : 1 head)
  • 10 rounds per mag
  • High RoF (Similar to that of Reach)
  • Recoil. Minimal bloom/spread
I think.

That's like saying Roseanne and Gisele Bundchen are just as attractive because they both have boobs.
Leave countdown alone!
crocker.jpg

That's some logic. It looks that way, because everything else looks that way, and because it's dingy and crappy to play in, it makes the other styles better in comparison. If humans in Halo can fight intergalactically against alien races and build massive ships that contain hologram simulation devices, I'm pretty sure they can cover their PVC pipes and move their crates out of the hallway.
Kylej non-ironically talking about Halo canon. It's going to be a weird fucking day.

FyreWulff

Bungie tested their game using gentlemen's rules.
It is known.

They have AFK detection - it just doesn't block you until after the game ends.

All they really have to do at this point is change it to work in real-time. Wild guess though: in the DIDO playlists, it's just going to kick you out when the game rotates.

Because then there's no point to having other weapons. You're just wasting RAM at that point. The H1 Pistol was more intended for campaign than multi. As Trey pointed out, it's role became the BR and then the DMR.

See also: ODST Pistol. Overpowered, "broken" (compared to other weapon abilities in Halo), didn't matter though because it was designed around campaign and not multiplayer. Would have been terrible to have in versus multi.

But then again, you're going to have the DMR, BR, and Carbine all fulfilling the same fucking role in Halo 4, so you're not really dealing with Bungie here.

Don't forget the Light rifle.

Honest point though, while Bungie always tried to avoid too much repition in the sadnbox, I think it's required if you want to have a weapon unlock scheme so you can have people spending money to make a bunch of choices that have fairly small tweaks to the overall outcome. In the end, I don't really mind it too much, and I don't think negative technical tradeoffs for it are that big a deal.

In my mind, it's kind of like underutilized space in maps, I don't really mind that it exists (see big chunks of powerhouse, or standoff in Halo 3), but some people seem to really hate that the fact that those areas exist.

wwm0nkey

They need to check for idlers and people doing repetitive movement because some people will just put rubber bands on their controllers.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
With join in progress on Halo 4 they might be able to handle idlers better. They could somehow measure movement (as above) and kick based on it. I don't think "campers" should be kicked though, so they would have to find a difference between someone camping and someone idling.

Possibly movement when the match begins. Even campers have to move to get to their spots. idlers wouldn't move at all. Make the initial "spawn box" have a kick timer, and if the player does not move from that box in 60 seconds (or whatever) they get kicked.

GhaleonEB

Heading south to Cali?
Yup.

Daaaamn, two months! I remember you mentioning that before, but still: daaaamn. Hope you enjoy it! Sometimes I feel like long breaks can leave me feeling anxious or bored, especially when I'm used to an intense work schedule. But they can also feel amazingly relaxing and rejuvenating. I have to remember to embrace having nothing in particular to do, and enjoy the slower pace.

Do you have any cool plans?
Disneyland (3 days)
Seaworld
Universal Studios
San Diego Safari

And tons of parks on the way down and back up. Leaving on Saturday, the trip will take 3 1/2 weeks. Then back home to work on home projects the second half.

Oh Vaycay?

We should meet =0.
Definitely. Where you at these days?

Overdoziz

Banned
I wonder how long it will take until people figure out that one precision weapon is better than all the others and nobody bothers to use the shitty ones anymore.

FyreWulff

Don't forget the Light rifle.

Honest point though, while Bungie always tried to avoid too much repition in the sadnbox, I think it's required if you want to have a weapon unlock scheme so you can have people spending money to make a bunch of choices that have fairly small tweaks to the overall outcome. In the end, I don't really mind it too much, and I don't think negative technical tradeoffs for it are that big a deal.

In my mind, it's kind of like underutilized space in maps, I don't really mind that it exists (see big chunks of powerhouse, or standoff in Halo 3), but some people seem to really hate that the fact that those areas exist.

I'll agree with you there. The redundant DMR/BR/Carbine do play into the unlocking scheme and loadout palette customization. Just don't expect any of them to really distinguish themselves from each other, because people will just find the best one and use that if they do (and it'd be unfair if lower ranked players had a worse BR-role weapon than higher level players)

Halo 3 jump shooters say hi.

Fuck those people so hard.

The Halo 3 TU2 actually added detection for that. The whambulance for that was hilarious.

Trey

I'll agree with you there. The redundant DMR/BR/Carbine do play into the unlocking scheme and loadout palette customization. Just don't expect any of them to really distinguish themselves from each other, because people will just find the best one and use that if they do (and it'd be unfair if lower ranked players had a worse BR-role weapon than higher level players)

The Cortana Web will save us.

So far it doesn't seem that there's one Uber one, as the BR and DMR seem to actually have somewhat distinct roles in the sandbox. The light rifle may end up doing that with it's 3 shot/1 shot functionality though, we'll see. What I imagine we'll see more of is one "Best rifle" per map, so haven's sight lines may reward DMR but Adrift may reward the BR.

Everyone will just ignore the carbine though since everyone hate's covenant weapons ;).

The Halo 3 TU2 actually added detection for that. The whambulance for that was hilarious.

Really? I remember it being quite common even into 2009. I do not have fond memories of the quality of late cycle Halo 3 matchmaking.

So far it doesn't seem that there's one Uber one, as the BR and DMR seem to actually have somewhat distinct roles in the sandbox. The light rifle may end up doing that with it's 3 shot/1 shot functionality though, we'll see. What I imagine we'll see more of is one "Best rifle" per map, so haven's sight lines may reward DMR but Adrift may reward the BR.

Everyone will just ignore the carbine though since everyone hate's covenant weapons ;).
There were 15 primary weapons in the E3 build though, not just BR/DMR/Carbine/SR. Be afraid.

FyreWulff

Really? I remember it being quite common even into 2009. I do not have fond memories of the quality of late cycle Halo 3 matchmaking.

It did. The downside is if the person just started doing it, of course you'd see them.. but of course, you wouldn't see the ones that got caught. A few of them I checked mysteriously stopped playing games a week or so after. It did have to build up a confidence that they were idling, and they also banned in waves so that it'd be harder to figure out how far you could take it.

edit: they also did a similar thing to Reach's backend where they added detection stats-side to catch the people that would kill five grunts then go idle in Firefight.

neoism

Yup.

Disneyland (3 days)
Seaworld
Universal Studios
San Diego Safari

And tons of parks on the way down and back up. Leaving on Saturday, the trip will take 3 1/2 weeks. Then back home to work on home projects the second half.

lol DAMN you guys will need a vaction from your vaction... lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I wonder how long it will take until people figure out that one precision weapon is better than all the others and nobody bothers to use the shitty ones anymore.

I'm thinking they are all basically the same. BR shoots 3 round burst, but is hitscan, so I'm figuring at long as 1 bullet from the burst "hits you" it counts as a hit for all 3 (if you can even miss). If you can miss weapons like the DMR/carbine will be better since it's still a 5sk but no extra bullets.

I honestly see the single shot weapons reigning supreme again.

lol DAMN you guys will need a vaction from your vaction... lol

Yeah, 3 days of Disneyland/Disney world is way too much Disney, the other places are WAY better.

Yup.

Disneyland (3 days)
Seaworld
Universal Studios
San Diego Safari

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park and you want to bail out. Well I'll tell you something. This is no longer a vacation. It's a quest. It's a quest for fun. I'm gonna have fun and you're gonna have fun. We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgeory to remove our godamn smiles. You'll be whistling 'Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah' out of you're assholes! I gotta be crazy! I'm on a pilgrimage to see a moose. Praise Marty Moose! Holy Shit!"

Have a blast, man. :-D

Fuchsdh

I figured they did something like this to show off cool things that could happen.

I'd swing by HBO more often if the layout didn't make my eyes bleed.

When I stopped lurking over there and started posting I would have agreed with you, but I now realize the archaic layout is one of the reasons HBO isn't infested with the worst kinds of people from Waypoint.

Also, I love being able to use real HTML tags instead of all the BBcode.

So according to the Pax attendee list Sean P. is a MAYBE?! What is this travesty, Sean get your shit together.

Also Tashi good to see you're coming, it'll be nice to finally meet you.

Yup.

Disneyland (3 days)
Seaworld
Universal Studios
San Diego Safari

Sounds like an amazing plan! I am Jellis.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So according to the Pax attendee list Sean P. is a MAYBE?! What is this travesty, Sean get your shit together.

Also Tashi good to see you're coming, it'll be nice to finally meet you.

What? Get on that Sean! You and Devin were the two I remember most about 2010.

Devin, we need to do breakfast at the restaurant at Pike Place market again.

Funny thing is, when I went to PAX in 2010 Reach was at the top of my list, this year Halo 4. I love pre-launch Halo PAX.

EDIT: Where is this attendee list? Am I on it?

Fuchsdh

http://www.gamespot.com/features/fr.../?tag=Topslot;FromSamusToLara;FromSamusToLara

Interesting article, but I think the video game industry represents both genders poorly. Most male characters are cliche too. I don't think the game industry will ever rid itself of such cliches entirely, but I would definitely like to see females and males treated more appropriately. I saw a nice trend of a more refined approach to characters at e3. Last of Us, Tomb Raider, etc.

One of the things I really appreciate about Halo is how Chief and Cortana are handled. They don't particularly fit neatly into a certain category and they are very odd characters, but they aren't so far removed from pop culture that they fall into the obscure.

Though, there is still a lot to improve on.

Saw this highlighted on HBO.

I've watched a few of her videos and came away unimpressed (I certainly wouldn't chuck money her way.) She did one on female representation in the movie industry and it was filled with a lot of faulty logic amid her many good points. I'm just afraid her lack of understanding the games industry might be a detriment as well as a positive--sure, she's not ingrained in a lot of the culture that accepts things because "that's how it's done", but she's also likely to not understand a lot of the context.

There's also a reductionist argument in this kind of media study that I think is as corrosive as anything she describes--the idea that every game fits neatly into buckets that clearly reflect a culture or an attitude. Taking even dozens of games together does not equate a clear picture of anything--these are not random or independent trials in a lab.

Also, highlighting the backlash to your campaign is I think poor form, no matter if your opponents are sexist jerks or trolls or whatever. It's making it about *you*, not your project.

Yup.

Disneyland (3 days)
Seaworld
Universal Studios
San Diego Safari

I really liked Universal Studios when I visited 2 years ago. Didn't even expect it was going to be that much fun. Seaworld was great too but be prepared to wait a long time if you want to see the orca show.

What? Get on that Sean! You and Devin were the two I remember most about 2010.

Devin, we need to do breakfast at the restaurant at Pike Place market again.

Funny thing is, when I went to PAX in 2010 Reach was at the top of my list, this year Halo 4. I love pre-launch Halo PAX.

EDIT: Where is this attendee list? Am I on it?

Hahah yeah, I am down for a breakfast meetup again. We will just need to wait to see the schedule this year so that we do not plan breakfast on a day where there is anything special going on first thing in the morning.

Just talking about PAX gets me all giddy and excited!

goatrope (Andrew) and Baily are coming again this year, they were at the Breakfast the last couple of years. Baily is the one with all of the tattoo's..

I miss everything about PAX.

rOLHn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom