• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be my first PAX, pretty excited for it seeing the way some people talk about it.

I've been to one Pax, it's very much a "you get what you put in" kind of show. Just doing booths and a couple of panels will get boring pretty quick, it seems like you really need to be outgoing and willing to emerge yourself in the culture to get more out of it.

Same. I really can't wait for it!

If you do it right PAX will be one of your more memorable experiences ever.

I know that sounds over the top, but honestly it is just so much fun. You're surrounded by good people and video games. At the end of the three days you will be exhausted, probably sick, and wondering why you didn't get more sleep during the weekend. But it's all worthwhile, trust me.

Just make sure you get hooked up with a good group of people so that you're not doing the Expo/Panels alone. Seems like it would be no fun to run around PAX solo.

Also make plans after the exhibit closes.. Generally there is always something going on at night, perhaps it's just a dinner get together or a closed party at the arcade across the street...

edit: pirate and I have the same thoughts about PAX it seems!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
As long as we get to meet Frankie/David (at the very least) at PAX for a beer (or Zima for Ellis) I'll be happy. Also meeting those of you that I did not meet in 2010 from HaloGaf will be cool.

I still vaguely remember standing in line for the Halo panel with Devin, Wu, and whats-his-name-banned-dude (Eazy?) in 2010. Awesome stuff, slow ass line.

GhaleonEB

This morning my daughter asked if there were any more Halo 4 videos she hadn't seen yet; we had watched the Campaign demo from E3, but that was it. We watched the three officially released ones (War Games, Spartan Ops, Infinity Multiplayer). And I spotted something that made me very sad.

The Phantoms in Halo 4 appear to be the ones from Reach. Specifically, the ones with the difficult to remove, concussion round firing turret on the nose.

Phantom_1.PNG

Phantom_2.PNG

At the 37 second mark of the Spartan Ops vid, we get a good look at them, and the firing sound and cadence is the same, with the loud *thoom* *thoom* sound of the round hitting the ground in the background noise.

Of all the things Reach did wrong, if I had to single out the one I object to the most, it would be these cannons on the Phantoms. They really damage Firefight. I refuse to play on 8 of 11 maps in Firefight, across modes, because of these guns.

I need to know now - did 343 keep the same concussion cannon on the Phantoms in Halo 4? If so, why?

More than better net code, more than a more challenging mode, more than anything for the co-op experience, I wanted these cannons fixed. It is my #1 issue with Firefight in Reach. I'd be crushed to learn they are back.

With no HaloFest this year, I can easily imagine a bunch of HaloGAFers at PAX being disappointed.
I do not remember where I heard it, but I was pretty sure HaloFest WAS going to be at PAX again this year.

Has Halo 4 even been confirmed playable at Pax?
It was at E3 and playable at MLG (for the Pro's). I would be SHOCKED if it wasn't playable in some form at PAX (given that by that time the game will likely have gone gold, or be very close to it).

Edit: ELLIS my main man. Your avatar scares me, but I still love you.

I know that sounds over the top, but honestly it is just so much fun. You're surrounded by good people and video games. At the end of the three days you will be exhausted, probably sick, and wondering why you didn't get more sleep during the weekend. But it's all worthwhile, trust me.

Just make sure you get hooked up with a good group of people so that you're not doing the Expo/Panels alone. Seems like it would be no fun to run around PAX solo.

Also make plans after the exhibit closes.. Generally there is always something going on at night, perhaps it's just a dinner get together or a closed party at the arcade across the street...

Yup, just the big difference being it sounds like you put that effort in, whereas I did not :(. I went with a group of friends who were less interested in the "Scene." So we ended up mostly hanging out in the expo halls, and finished with a few board games/ games in the free play area.

Concert was fuckawesome though, as was the impromptu singalong that preceded it.

It sounds totlally weird but I'd almost prefer to go to pax either alone, or just with my wife if she'd be willing to mostly just tag along rather than go with a group that's not fully invested in it.

4 secondary weapons in the E3 build:
syhC.png

(There were 15 Primary)

What were the 4 secondary weapons? I know of the Pistol and Plasma Pistol.. Do we know of anything else? If not, those numbers may be final or close to final.

Also, 15 primary.. I know of BR, DMR, AR, Carbine, Storm Rifle... Any ideas what the others are?

It's not. Josh Holmes stopped by HBO this morning to clarify.

Cool, I figured as much but its good to hear to it officially.

This morning my daughter asked if there were any more Halo 4 videos she hadn't seen yet; we had watched the Campaign demo from E3, but that was it. We watched the three officially released ones (War Games, Spartan Ops, Infinity Multiplayer). And I spotted something that made me very sad.

The Phantoms in Halo 4 appear to be the ones from Reach. Specifically, the ones with the difficult to remove, concussion round firing turret on the nose.

Phantom_1.PNG

Phantom_2.PNG

At the 37 second mark of the Spartan Ops vid, we get a good look at them, and the firing sound and cadence is the same, with the loud *thoom* *thoom* sound of the round hitting the ground in the background noise.

Of all the things Reach did wrong, if I had to single out the one I object to the most, it would be these cannons on the Phantoms. They really damage Firefight. I refuse to play on 8 of 11 maps in Firefight, across modes, because of these guns.

I need to know now - did 343 keep the same concussion cannon on the Phantoms in Halo 4? If so, why?

More than better net code, more than a more challenging mode, more than anything for the co-op experience, I wanted these cannons fixed. It is my #1 issue with Firefight in Reach. I'd be crushed to learn they are back.

It actually may just stem from the same reason the Reach Banshee is back aesthetically; Same artist so it made sense. I agree that those plasma cannons were overkill though, they are a pain.. Heres hoping that part see some changes. Also, I hope Spirits are back..I always liked those more.

Maybe we'll see the needle rifle return from Reach. I don't think it has been confirmed that it's not in 4. It could fill the role of the DMR for the Covenant.

What were the 4 secondary weapons? I know of the Pistol and Plasma Pistol.. Do we know of anything else? If not, those numbers may be final or close to final.

Also, 15 primary.. I know of BR, DMR, AR, Carbine, Storm Rifle... Any ideas what the others are?
As far as I can tell (obviously I didn't play it), the weapons that were locked were invisible, i.e. you don't know what they are until you unlock them. There were 2 unlocked Secondaries and 5 unlocked Primaries.

Maybe we'll see the needle rifle return from Reach. I don't think it has been confirmed that it's not in 4. It could fill the role of the DMR for the Covenant.
Needle Rifle = Carbine. I doubt they would have both, not that I would particularly mind.

As for the starting weapons we now:

-BR
-DMR
-AR
-Carbine
-Stormrifle
-Shotgun? (it was a spawn weapon in the leaks)

That still leaves 9 weapons to fill.

Needle Rifle = Carbine. I doubt they would have both, not that I would particularly mind.

Doesn't have to be that way. Needle Rifle could have a 3x scope and the supercombine effect while the Carbine could have a 2x scope. Slightly different roles in the sandbox.

As for the starting weapons we now:

-BR
-DMR
-AR
-Carbine
-Stormrifle
-Shotgun? (it was a spawn weapon in the leaks)

That still leaves 9 weapons to fill the role.
Wont be shotgun, seeming as the scattergun is a drop weapon, and they are similar in power.

I could take a guess at a few:
  • Plasma Repeater
  • Light Rifle
Nope, I've got pretty much nothing...

Wont be shotgun, seeming as the scattergun is a drop weapon, and they are similar in power.

• Plasma Repeater
  • Light Rifle

I don't the shotgun has to be as powerful as the scattershot. 343 could have made the human shotgun less powerful to accommodate for it being a spawnable weapon.

• Plasma Repeater
  • Light Rifle

Yeah, Light Rifle seems like a good candidate.. as for Plasma Repeater..Eh, seems to basically be the Storm Rifle.

Maybe the ODST SMG and possibly something like a Burst-Fire AR?

Kevin said they were similar in power.

What about an LMG?, and is the 'assault carbine' the Storm Rifle?

As for a LMG, eh sounds like a power weapon if anything. And yeah the Assault Carbine is the SR.

So far, the only thing I know for sure is that I'm rooming with wwm0nkey. I would like to meet up with some of you guys and maybe tackle PAX together. It would probably be best for someone to teach us PAX newbies the ropes. ;)

I bring the candies to PAX Prime. A lot of candies. And that's reason why you should go to PAX Prime.

I'm confused, if no shit was given why did you RT it?
Because he wants to be a bad boy. Bad boys bad boys whatcha gonna do if they come for you, bad boys bad boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom