• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still gotta play the Primes. Just last year I paid $60 (and that's cheap compared to what it normally goes for) for a copy of Trilogy and haven't touched it.

As a huge Metroid Prime fan, being forced to use the Wiimote killed Corruption for me. I'm still hoping for Prime 4 on the Wii U eventually.

I still gotta play the Primes. Just last year I paid $60 (and that's cheap compared to what it normally goes for) for a copy of Trilogy and haven't touched it.

I would've paid more than $50 or however much it was at launch. You're getting over 50 hours of some of the best video gaming the industry has to offer.

Ramirez

Looks awesome to me, I still need to play it. Why is it a mess?

Focuses way too much on shooting, which was never MP's strong point. Didn't really care for the level design either, doesn't help that the first two are probably some of the best level design ever seen in games. :p

daedalius

Unfortunately Metroid Prime 3 is a mess. #metroidprime3istheworstoftheseries

I can see where you would say that from a narrative perspective, as 3 veers significantly away from Samus being isolated on a world; however I'd be interested for you to tell me what else you don't like about the game. I feel the controls, while still not as good as dual analog, are a step up from the odd controls found in 1 and 2, and the visuals are obviously significantly better (of course, I'd love to see 1 and 2 be remade with as good/better graphics of 3, I think their overall style might be superior).

It does seem to still have quite a bit of exploration, although I haven't played it in quite some time, so I may be remembering incorrectly.

The music seems really weak so far, would have really preferred an orchestral soundtrack like Halo's for Prime; can't remember 1 and 2 well enough.

Backtracking, lame boss fights compared to MP1 and MP2, I hate the controls. Still the best shooter on Wii.

^^Yeah level design. At the end it is a mess compared to MP1 and MP2.

To be fair, they all have a significant amount of backtracking. Controls are obviously a sticking point, I don't mind them terribly once they are set to advanced at least; I like it better than the gamecube controls. There is a lot of shooting in Corruption, but they were trying something different I guess since you actually had somewhat decent fidelity to shoot things. Enemies take way too many shots though, and there isn't anything like headshots to kill things faster.

Completely opposite for me. After playing Trilogy I refuse to play 1 and 2 without Wiimote controls. They're so perfect.

I'd probably want to play 1 and 2 again moreso if I had the Trilogy version, as I too prefer the Wii controls; although I still don't think they are up to par with like, Halo controls or anything.

Completely opposite for me. After playing Trilogy I refuse to play 1 and 2 without Wiimote controls. They're so perfect.

I tried and wanted to get into it so badly, but just couldn't. The Wiimote has ruined a couple of games for me, Skyward Sword, Corruption, DKCR, and I even haven't been able to play much Xenoblade(although I'm about to get a CCP for this, and yeah I know it doesn't have motion controls, it just feels awkward to me holding two separate parts). I'm just not a fan of that controller .

daedalius

I tried and wanted to get into it so badly, but just couldn't. The Wiimote has ruined a couple of games for me, Skyward Sword, Corruption, DKCR, and I even haven't been able to play much Xenoblade(although I'm about to get a CCP for this, and yeah I know it doesn't have motion controls, it just feels awkward to me holding two separate parts). I'm just not a fan of that controller .

I hated skyward sword controls, but I don't mind MP3's controls at all. Just need to make sure to set it to advanced in the options and its... sort of like dual analog.

I loved the controls in Skyward Sword. I'll give you DKCR, though. The waggling was really annoying. Also I still need to play Xenoblade, my copy is still sealed, haha.

But overall the Wii Remote+Nunchuck is one of my favorite controllers ever.

I tried and wanted to get into it so badly, but just couldn't. The Wiimote has ruined a couple of games for me, Skyward Sword, Corruption, DKCR, and I even haven't been able to play much Xenoblade(although I'm about to get a CCP for this). I'm just not a fan of that controller .
Did you try changing the control setting to Advanced? The default controls are too slow, setting it to Advanced is a must.

Does halo.xbox.com show what an individual's most played playlist is?

Nope. You'll have to go through each playlist individually to see what was played most.

Bonus content not related to what I said above: Need for Speed: The Run is $15 at Best Buy tomorrow if anyone's interested. Not the best deal ever, but probably about as cheap as a new copy'll get

Fracas

#fuckonami
Nope. You'll have to go through each playlist individually to see what was played most.

Screw that, lol.

I'll just use bungie.net's playlist stats.

edit: For all the bitching HaloGAF does about how Team Slayer shouldn't be the most played playlist, it's pretty much everyone's top playlist so far.

monsterfracas said:
edit: For all the bitching HaloGAF does about how Team Slayer shouldn't be the most played playlist, it's pretty much everyone's top playlist so far.
All the bitching??

Sure you're not thinking of infection? TS is the traditional mainstay playlist for every Halo game.

Fracas

#fuckonami
All the bitching??

Sure you're not thinking of infection? TS is the traditional mainstay playlist for every Halo game.

Haha, I see a lot of people saying people only play it because it's at the top of the list, it doesn't require much thinking, etc. Not really a big deal though.

I'm to the F's now, I've seen mainly Team Slayer, with a little bit of Big Team. One guy's most played playlist is Double Team, and another is MLG. They're the only 4 playlists that have popped up so far.

Haha, I see a lot of people saying people only play it because it's at the top of the list, it doesn't require much thinking, etc. Not really a big deal though.

I'm to the F's now, I've seen mainly Team Slayer, with a little bit of Big Team. One guy's most played playlist is Double Team, and another is MLG. They're the only 4 playlists that have popped up so far.

I don't think I have seen anyone say that it's a bad thing people play it, it's just a fact that being top of the list and having the branding 'team slayer' helps. I prefer super slayer, but traditionally team slayer has always been a halo mainstay.

Fracas

#fuckonami
An idea I'm considering for team selection:

kittens and I select team captains that encompass all skill ranges. Each team captain picks one player of their choosing, and the other 2 players are selected by kittens and I based on skill. That way, everyone gets to play with someone they know, and teams are evenly balanced.

heckfu

Banned
Hey, so I'm playing online and a gamertag I don't know and it's not on my friendslist pops up and says the gamer is online.

Has this happened to anyone else before?

Hey, so I'm playing online and a gamertag I don't know and it's not on my friendslist pops up and says the gamer is online.

Change your password! Did you have any trouble signing into your account? Could have been hacked?

Or maybe someone just changed theyre gamer tag?

Weird. You sure it's not someone that changed their gamertag and you just don't recognize it?

heckfu

Banned
Weird. You sure it's not someone that changed their gamertag and you just don't recognize it?

That ended up being the case. The notification popped up with his new GT and when I searched my friends list and recent players nothing that matched it showed up.

Restarted my box and it had changed over. Was playing FIFA when it happened so it scared the shit out of me.

Kajiba

That ended up being the case. The notification popped up with his new GT and when I searched my friends list and recent players nothing that matched it showed up.

Restarted my box and it had changed over. Was playing FIFA when it happened so it scared the shit out of me.

I'm so scared to play EA sport games anymore. To the point I dont even download the demos anymore.

I usually only play Arena with a full team in Reach. Tonight I tried searching alone, FOR 15 MINUTES. couldn't find a match. I haven't even been rated yet this season and I couldn't find a match. So I gave up. Pop in Halo 3. Search RANKED TS 47 and find a match in within seconds. Got destroyed though. :/

My point is, does anyone here expect ranked Halo to be good again? I go to twitchTV to see people streaming Reach and everyone is playing Halo 3 again. Neighbor was killing kids in 1v1, some random guys were streaming MLG and TD's ranked. They are still playing.

I'm curious if and what 343 does for "ranked" for Halo 4 because I kind of see "ranked" as a dead system at this point for console MP games. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see 343 deliver a pretty good ranking system to Halo 4 and the player base still leaves it to die.

I know it's shocking for the hardcore Halo fanbase to hear, but I think the majority of people playing popular console shooters have no interest in a ranking system. The system of progression through an investment system and get points, challenges, unlocks for their direct actions in-game has replaced a ranking system only associated with if your team wins or not.

With that in mind, it will be interesting to see what and if 343 have a ranking system and how it is implemented into the game if so.

That actually happens to me a lot. I have a friends list that loves to change their gamertags.

Lol'd so hard at "Maggie Gyllenhaal has a strange face"

Haha I was dying at that.

Frank was spitting the sauce in this podcast, on fire.

Arnie

I'm curious if and what 343 does for "ranked" for Halo 4 because I kind of see "ranked" as a dead system at this point for console MP games. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see 343 deliver a pretty good ranking system to Halo 4 and the player base still leaves it to die.

I know it's shocking for the hardcore Halo fanbase to hear, but I think the majority of people playing popular console shooters have no interest in a ranking system. The system of progression through an investment system and get points, challenges, unlocks for their direct actions in-game has replaced a ranking system only associated with if your team wins or not.

With that in mind, it will be interesting to see what and if 343 have a ranking system and how it is implemented into the game if so.

Couldn't disagree with a post more. Neither could most of the fairly casual friends I have who quit Halo because it eschewed a ranking system, a system that actually brought them to the franchise in the first place.

But I'm sure this wont be an option in playlists that have ranks...this is assuming there is real ranks this time.

Even if there is, I'd assume that most playlists in the game will have JIP.

Couldn't disagree with a post more. Neither could most of the fairly casual friends I have who quit Halo because it eschewed a ranking system, a system that actually brought them to the franchise in the first place.

Just basing it off the trends of games over the past few years, which is obviously a much larger sample base than experiences from people we know.

But I'm sure this wont be an option in playlists that have ranks...this is assuming there is real ranks this time.
And boom goes the dynamite.

You really think those millions of CoD players give a shit about skill based ranks? It's all about grinding points and filling bars now. Sorry to say, but I think you and your friends are in the minority. Not that I don't like skill based ranking or anything, but I think Steely's right in that its relevancy is waning. It's just the way that the industry is heading and it's been that way for a few years now.

Arnie

Just basing it off the trends of games over the past few years, which is obviously a much larger sample base than experiences from people we know.
And that's a problem, basing future decisions on current trends. That's not how the world works; before Call of Duty introduced it's experience system it would've been easy to poo poo the idea, but despite it not being an already popularised system, gamers loved it.

Were Infinity Ward crazy for assuming players would love the system? No, not at all. It's a base human emotional response to feel happy about the sort of system that rewards you so generously. As it's a base human emotional response to feel a twinge of happiness at moving from the number 45-46; not that I'm saying a ranking system has to be identical, just that it has to stoke this very predictable sense of achievement associated with progress.

Not only that but if you keep giving someone carrots, eventually they'll get tired of eating them. With each reincarnation of the system, the pleasure diminishes.
You really think those millions of CoD players give a shit about skill based ranks? It's all about grinding points and filling bars now. Sorry to say, but I think you and your friends are in the minority. Not that I don't like skill based ranking or anything, but I think Steely's right in that its relevancy is waning. It's just the way that the industry is heading and it's been that way for a few years now.

Can you tell me a time when, besides Halo, skill based ranking systems were ever the rage, as far as console shooters go? No, didn't think so. Does that make the previous Halo's ranking systems unsuccessful, or unloved? No, didn't think so.

It's such a watered down argument to firstly suggest people who play Call of Duty aren't capable of enjoying anything other than what that game affords them. That's a naive fallacy for a kickoff. It's equally bog awful to suggest that a system's not appreciated or required because one game doesn't do it, no matter how popular.

If you two are going to take any lessons from Call of Duty, be it the message that audience's true wants and addictions aren't always evident in what's currently popular at that current moment. It's a huge contradiction to use Call of Duty as the measuring stick for how a system may be appreciated, when Call of Duty is a franchise that built it's success and audience on how unique it was at the time it released.

I never even stated Call of Duty, so it's certainly not my only example. I am basing this on the trend all nearly all MP console games over the past few years and how their systems are structured.

So, out of curiosity, as you say the current popular model of investment system is designed to reward a player more and for far longer than Halo's old ranking system, so what do you think will attract gamers to a ranking system in Halo 4?

I'm looking for a way to get 'm on my windows phone. Zune says I need an URL to the podcast to subscribe to it. I tried to do it with the link to the latest podcast but I don't think that works...

I'm pretty bad with this stuff :lol

Just open up marketplace from your phone and search "343 sparkast". You'll get a full list and be able to download and subscribe right from there.

Chief and Cortana are the only characters worth a damn in the Halo universe.
If you're only talking about the games: The Arbiter? Truth (Halo 2)? 343 GS? The Librarian and the Didact from Halo 3's terminals. Gravemind.
I think this is actually a risk. Most of the players don't give a crap about, and don't know about the extended universe beyond the games.
If they don't give a crap then there's nothing to worry about.

Arnie

I never even stated Call of Duty, so it's certainly not my only example. I am basing this on the trend all nearly all MP console games over the past few years and how their systems are structured.

So, out of curiosity, as you say the current popular model of investment system is designed to reward a player more and for far longer than Halo's old ranking system, so what do you think will attract gamers to a ranking system in Halo 4?

The same thing that attracted gamers to the system during Halo 2 and Halo 3. I don't know why you assume that has changed; it's not as if the enjoyment of one system precludes the other, and in fact if a skill based system is evident in Halo 4 it's in addition to the player investment model that's so prevalent in the industry today.

And I assumed Call of Duty because, despite your insistence that such a system is a MP wide trend these days, which I wouldn't necessarily disagree with, i'd wager that none of the games that attempt to emulate Call of Duty do it quite as successfully.

It's like anything; if Call of Duty is analogous to an iPad, an investment system in Ghost Recon, or Reach is equally comparable to an Android tablet, or a Blackberry playbook. It's technically the same function, but not as alluring. Microsoft's new tablet combats that by adding additional features (keyboard, full desktop OS, back stand), and if we take this analogy further, a skill based system on top of the homogenised experience system could work in a similar way to those additional features on a Microsoft tablet. It at least makes the two experiences competitive; I don't think Halo could stand alongside Call of Duty by just emulating the same system.

Just open up marketplace from your phone and search "343 sparkast". You'll get a full list and be able to download and subscribe right from there.

I don't think you can do that. When I go to marketplace, I can only download apps. No music or podcasts. I think it's a problem with WP itself. It seems like there is no other way than through Zune on your PC to download podcasts.

So after watching the Spartan Ops video here are a few things I came up with.

Promethean Grenades

After being killed the Knight drops to nades and the Spartan seems to pick them up. They'll possibly disintegrate you like other forerunner weapons.
iLaQY9UD6TFja.jpg
i3U4o8wY1dgZv.jpg
ibth8OQ1TlS3OT.jpg

Promethean Repeater

It appears to be similar to a plasma rifle in functionality, it shoots what seems to be some kind of solidified blades.

Promethean Precision Rifle

I thought it was a light rifle at first but this one is much larger, lacks the orange light thing and shoots single rounds.

Others

Teammates have a waypoint over their head, it's the same one as Invasion but appears to be neutral instead of friendly.

When stabbed the Knight emits a beam from it's forehead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom