• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

daedalius

Sweet new H4 pro video
YS3Ud.gif

GOD sale, everyone should buy kameo, if you haven't already. It's so good.

Isn't that that one game that launched with the xbox 360? You can change in all sorts of creatures right? I entered a drawing contest back in 2005 or 2006 to win that game and a 360. Never heard anything about it :(

My drawing was so beautiful.

Heh, alright.

Basically, in the 1930s to the 1950s (with the business practices lingering on into the 60s and even the 70s), Hollywood was a completely different beast than it is today.

Films were produced by large studios that kept everyone under long-term contract; actors, writers directors, animators, the crew setting up the cameras and lighting: everybody. People held on to their contracts and settled for peanuts (compared to today) because the perceived glamor and success of Hollywood in the "Golden Age" meant there was a high supply of people trying to break in and replace them (not to mention the studios blacklisting anyone who broke away).

The studios also held all creative rights to anything produced, so writers were reluctant to give up their best work. Not that they would have had a chance; the studios were controlled by businessmen who had tons of money but very little interest or understanding of film. Like the Koticks of today, studio heads back then only saw entertainment as a means to an end and put a laser-like focus on only what sold. Ernest Lehmen (wrote Hitchcock's North by Northwest) has a great quote on this;

As another example, once MGM figured out Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney paired well together, they churned out eight movies over six years. The 30s was pretty much dominated by remakes, sequels and rehashes to silent films. In the 50s and early 60s it was historical epics (Ben Hur, The 10 Commandments, Lawrence of Arabia, etc.). Following formula almost destroyed Fox (1963's Cleopatra was a huge loss, the studio limped along on fare like The Sound of Music until Star Wars saved it). Once they had something that worked, they churned it out until something new came along.

The studio-driven method really didn't break up until the 1950s, due to two things; Television became a serious challenger and the government came after the five major studios (MGM, Fox, Universal, RKO and Warner Brothers) for anti-trust. Not only did they completely control film production, but they also controlled and manipulated film distribution, either by owning all of the theaters outright or controlling them with practices like blockbooking (forcing theaters to buy and run 4 or 5 shit movies that came contractually bundled with one good one) . That was in the late 40s, if I remember right.

. . .

Compare that to games now; publishers buy up and manipulate developers. Developers retain all creative rights and churn through staff because there's a ton of kids who have a dream of making video games. Piss the wrong people off and you get sacked like West and Zampella and that sleazy "Project Icebreaker" bullshit.

There are no 'freelance' game designers, the guys who green light games don't even possess a working vocabulary of the concepts they're choosing between. Large companies dictate the distribution method so people working outside can't get in.

Budgets are so huge that only proven successes can be made. The industry avoids risk because one AAA-budget flop can completely destroy a company, so only sequels and clones of proven successes are made. Meanwhile, the publishers are engaging in shoddy business practices like Day One DLC, Pay-to-win and all the anti-used game/DRM garbage.

A lot of it has to do with the way games emerged from the software industry and is still using their model. Very good at making studios, very bad at making games.

Just curious, what do you think the solution is to this problem?

Falagard

GOD sale, everyone should buy kameo, if you haven't already. It's so good.

Kameo was underated. There's a meta game that most people don't know about, where you get your multiplier up by killing a number of trolls without taking damage, then when you enter slow motion these special trolls show up called Doom Trolls which are not affected by slow mo. Kill lots of them without getting hit and get lots of points.

I sent it to the company that was doing the contest. The bastards didn't even have the decency to send it back to me.

Draw another one! It will be even better now I'm sure!

Retro as someone who has flitted between software development and the film industry your post was extremely interesting. Any chance you can point me towards some further reading, pretty interesting stuff.

This!

Kameo was underated. There's a meta game that most people don't know about, where you get your multiplier up by killing a number of trolls without taking damage, then when you enter slow motion these special trolls show up called Doom Trolls which are not affected by slow mo. Kill lots of them without getting hit and get lots of points.

Definitely, like a lot of Rare games post MS acquisition, grabbed by the ghoulies was awesome.

MP3 has the least amount of backtracking, and the least terrible endgame fetch quest in the series. Also, it's motion control aiming >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GC aiming

daedalius

MP3 has the least amount of backtracking, and the least terrible endgame fetch quest in the series. Also, it's motion control aiming >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GC aiming

I think 2 had the worst endgame fetch quest, I haven't played it in a while, but I'm pretty sure it took absolutely forever.

also, lolbanshee (you should put that image in quotes)

Retro

Just curious, what do you think the solution is to this problem?

In my response to Fuchsdh, I mentioned two, but I'll expand on them a bit.

1. A Game Developers Guild or Union, which can help to put an end to stuff like developers signing away their creative rights, being forced out, subjected to crunch time, etc. Having a group responsible for a wide spectrum of developers would also help to establish some measure of the roles involved. For example, right now, 'Game designer' is a pretty vague term that changes depending on which company your at.

2. Reduce overhead by changing the way games are developed. Instead of housing a studio of employees and all of the overhead associated with maintaining a state of the art facility, there could instead be a small team that does a lot of the design legwork initially and then over a short period of time brings in / outsources the code, art, etc., in the way a film is produced. Lots of pre-production and planning, short shooting schedules, small team to edit and reshoot as needed.

On top of that, there's already changes being made just by virtue of things like Steam, Live Arcade, etc. where smaller games can reach a wider audience, lower barrier to entry as tech improves and open-source stuff proliferates... but overall, the games industry, such as it is, has a ton of problems that are only going to get worse.

Retro as someone who has flitted between software development and the film industry your post was extremely interesting. Any chance you can point me towards some further reading, pretty interesting stuff.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22045 (briefly touches on film/game industry parallels but doesn't go into specifics, this was the article that inspired me to dig a little deeper for examples)
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6262/is_it_time_for_the_bivouac_game_.php (linked to this early, it concerns the concept of 'bivouac game design' mentioned above)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I hate the banshee in Reach so much.

That being said, how bad was the other team? It doesn't take too long to DMR a Banshee if you work together.

This is key here. Also on Reddit the dude that posted it noted the guy would get a new Banshee every time his was damaged. A good pilot can roll his way out of most attacks, or just hide.

I think the Banshee is powerful enough with the main guns, it doesn't really need the plasma cannon. If it has to have it, make it only work on vehicles or something.

Play Halo 4 at RTX!
Huge, awesome news everyone: Halo 4 will make its world hands-on gameplay premiere for fans at RTX, this July 7 and 8 at the Austin, TX convention center! Halo 4 marks the return of Master Chief and the beginning of a new saga in the best and biggest game series ever. We're proud to announce that fans will have their first opportunity to play Halo 4 at RTX, and more than likely, destroy several members of the Rooster Teeth cast and crew in a few games. Thanks to everyone at 343 for making this happen!

RTX tickets are still available online until this Friday, June 22, so buy now for the discounted price. Remaining tickets will be available on site.

And even more awesome news, RTX is pleased to announce that YouTube superstar Freddie Wong, aka freddiew, will be our Keynote Speaker! Freddiew blends visual effects, humor and gaming culture to create videos that are unlike any other, making him the perfect fit for keynote speaker at RTX, where gaming meets the Internet.

We look forward to seeing you all at RTX very soon!
http://rtxevent.com/viewEntry.php?id=9385

This is key here. Also on Reddit the dude that posted it noted the guy would get a new Banshee every time his was damaged. A good pilot can roll his way out of most attacks, or just hide.

I think the Banshee is powerful enough with the main guns, it doesn't really need the plasma cannon. If it has to have it, make it only work on vehicles or something.

I think an ammo limit could do the trick, maybe. Or a much slower rate of fire and smaller blast radius.

Gui_PT

It can only fire once locked on. And it obviously can only lock on to vehicles. Problem solved

What if you can only use the banshee bomb after locking on to another vehicle? That way you would use the main plasma canon for infantry. Significant nerf, but I think it could work.

edit: I'm just being beaten to the punch today :/

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It can only fire once locked on. And it obviously can only lock on to vehicles. Problem solved

You can fire the Banshee Bomb at everything, people included, with no lock on. It does lock on to vehicles now too though, that's not the issue.

EDIT: Unless you were meaning that as a solution, in that case I agree. That would solve the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom