• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah, I never got the "I'm going to do _______ thing for __ hours straight!" endurance tests. It's extremely unhealthy and doesn't prove much. Plus, you might die.

Vire

Shame the Sparkcast was super light on information, although I did enjoy the Promethean discussion even if it was a bit scant on the details.

Nonetheless, a fun listen.

TheOddOne

-- This isn't very controversial, but the real issue is whether these types of gimmicks help or hurt the core Halo gameplay. It's a bit interesting that the magazine seems to take this stuff as a "given" in a modern FPS and not as a relatively recent introduction/aberration.
The only part I didn't find to controversial too, but I disagree on Spartan Ops – the idea behind it is quite refreshing and unique compared to other shooters.

I feel the inclusion of story and gameplay both complement each other, neither should be prioritized above the other. Personally it’s jarring to see new stuff introduced that makes no sense to the overall game – which brakes the game for me to some extent.

Fuchsdh

Not a big deal at all, but the thing does look really weird on the actual devices. When I pull it up on the charm bar, it looks fine though.

Now the new Office 15 logo is awful lol.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by MS complicating things?

Look at Windows 8, a fusion of a tablet OS and a desktop OS. A smart idea (can't beat Apple at their own game, so lets try another way) that's (in my opinion) been fumbled by trying to have it both ways.

Look at Mac OS X. It was entirely new and broke every single application wrote for the "classic" OS. People moaned and complained...but OS X was better in every way.

Instead of forging ahead with a bold new direction, Microsoft is hedging themselves (trying to have everyone use a Metro interface but no, not really, here you can have your old desktop too.)

This isn't entirely Microsoft's fault: Apple can get away with a lot more (and could) because of its clientele of creative professionals who are frankly a lot more adaptable. Microsoft has enterprise users who would never stand for Apple's secrecy and lack of product updates. Unfortunately, that long commitment to this conservative population also ties Microsoft's hands. They can't pull an OS X.

It's funny in my mind that Microsoft has slowly been iterating away from its old, late 90s/early 2000s monolithic self towards something that's like Apple, but very different at the same time. Personally I really love Metro on the XB360 dash, although its implementation is damaged (mostly by how it treats apps and the ads, to me.) And I thought the Zune's clean UI was pretty great. But I'm not sure Microsoft has the same kind of drive it needs to propel these good ideas to something else.

*Shrug*

All I know is people need to get over the Mac/PC wars. Soon enough all us desktop dinosaurs might be wishing for those days in this tablet and smartphone-infested wasteland pundits say is the future. If the future gets close to me I'll beat it to submission with my 60lb cheesegrater PowerMac G5.

Played up to the hunters in Winter Contingency on Reach Legendary and got stuck for long enough to get bored. Not sure if i'll be able to beat the game on Legendary.

If you need help friend me and if I'm on I'm up for helping. I find Reach Legendary frustrating, but not particularly hard once you know how to run it. I can do most missions zero deaths pretty regularly now.

Everyone get temporary tattoos for PAX. http://www.straytats.com/order/tattoo/edit/489704

Make sure you get the sleaziest style possible.

Protip: Anything written in the Bleeding Cowboys typeface is sleazy as hell. Ugliest specialty face I've seen since Heroin.

kylej

Banned
I've read it and these are their main arguments:

- Title of the article is: “Is fanboy design killing Halo 4? (Less Fiction, More Game Design)”
- Injecting new ideas new ideas into the franchise isn’t easy and is one of the main reasons Ryan Payton left the project last year.
- Questions whether 343 has changed enough of the core Halo formula to stand out from the current FPS market, especially the high level of competition it will face.
- Halo 4’s progression system, armor abilities and Spartan Ops mode are playing catch-up with the current shooters.
- Questions whether it is right to make Chief a bigger focus and delving into the “convoluted ” Halo mythos.
- 343 focus on narrative and fiction is in expense of gameplay innovations.
- There is a section in the article talking about the fiction and the lead to it is: “And as Halo 4 readies its launch, it risks spilling far too much of its niche, and frankly tiresome, expanded universe into the game… ”

The whole article is juvenile to be honest, with barely any decent or sound arguments.

Those all seem like legitimate points.

Enjoyed the podcast. Ellis reppin' NC barbecue, Josh with a great Fallon story, Frank being frank, Kiki crushin' on Fillion. Good stuff.

kylej

Banned
Even the one where they say that 343 isn't changing enough?

I don't know if it's "343 changed too much of the Halo formula so now it seems similar to other games" or "343 hasn't changed enough of the Halo formula to get people to care" based on that summary.

Either way, I don't think the general public recognizes any of the changes that us Halo nerds think are huge titanic shifts for the franchise. If a COD player looks at a trailer this Fall and sees the purple needle gun, and regenerating shields, and a bunch of Master Chiefs running around alien places, do they give a shit in a world of COD and Battlefield and whatever else? Who knows.

I don't know if it's "343 changed too much of the Halo formula so now it seems similar to other games" or "343 hasn't changed enough of the Halo formula to get people to care" based on that summary.

Either way, I don't think the general public recognizes any of the changes that us Halo nerds think are huge titanic shifts for the franchise. If a COD player looks at a trailer this Fall and sees the purple needle gun, and regenerating shields, and a bunch of Master Chiefs running around alien places, do they give a shit in a world of COD and Battlefield and whatever else? Who knows.

I don't know exactly how RnD works but if they are putting in some features from other games to try and take away those people they are mistaken. The type of people that like cod don't like aliens or "unrealistic" games. So yea like you said if they see an elite or needler they will be put off.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Her name is Wolfkill. That makes her pack leader of WolfGAF right off the bat. I'm sure she'll be fine.
Because the GAF dicks will question whether she's a girl gamer.
You mean those people that seemed to get banned often and in groves due to those topics?

Trey

Her name is Wolfkill. That makes her pack leader of WolfGAF right off the bat. I'm sure she'll be fine.

You mean those people that seemed to get banned often and in groves due to those topics?

Sounds a bit too antagonistic to wolves for her to lead them.

I wasn't quite serious. Thought I would try some topical GAF references, but you are unamused. :(

What happened to the hot GoT chick? I never watched the show but the avatar was welcome.

Look at Windows 8, a fusion of a tablet OS and a desktop OS. A smart idea (can't beat Apple at their own game, so lets try another way) that's (in my opinion) been fumbled by trying to have it both ways.

Look at Mac OS X. It was entirely new and broke every single application wrote for the "classic" OS. People moaned and complained...but OS X was better in every way.

Instead of forging ahead with a bold new direction, Microsoft is hedging themselves (trying to have everyone use a Metro interface but no, not really, here you can have your old desktop too.)

This isn't entirely Microsoft's fault: Apple can get away with a lot more (and could) because of its clientele of creative professionals who are frankly a lot more adaptable. Microsoft has enterprise users who would never stand for Apple's secrecy and lack of product updates. Unfortunately, that long commitment to this conservative population also ties Microsoft's hands. They can't pull an OS X.

It's funny in my mind that Microsoft has slowly been iterating away from its old, late 90s/early 2000s monolithic self towards something that's like Apple, but very different at the same time. Personally I really love Metro on the XB360 dash, although its implementation is damaged (mostly by how it treats apps and the ads, to me.) And I thought the Zune's clean UI was pretty great. But I'm not sure Microsoft has the same kind of drive it needs to propel these good ideas to something else.

*Shrug*

All I know is people need to get over the Mac/PC wars. Soon enough all us desktop dinosaurs might be wishing for those days in this tablet and smartphone-infested wasteland pundits say is the future. If the future gets close to me I'll beat it to submission with my 60lb cheesegrater PowerMac G5.

Aye, I thought you were referring to the hardware announced tonight.

As for Windows itself, you bring up some good points, and as you mention, there isn't really a perfect solution. Apple choose to have iOS and OSX be significantly different, and as they work with yearly releases, they have slowly brought them closer together. MS waited, and wanted to go in a bold new direction with interface, while still being able to support everything they have built in Windows for after 20 years.

Neither of those is the right direction to take, and neither is wrong.

As someone that installed the CP and used it a bit, and installed the RP and have been using it as my primary OS since it dropped, it takes some getting used to, and the UI switch between the Desktop and all other apps isn't exactly uniform, but it works, and it works pretty damn well for me. I may use the desktop more on my desktop and laptop than I would on a touch device, but it is nice that it's still the same OS instead of MS creating a totally different OS for tablets. One of the chief reasons they decided to do this is that is the direction the market is heading.

As for the OS X situation, MS controls 90% of the computer OS market and they can't just throw that to the dogs (especially for enterprise, as you said), so they created a compromise. I understand both sides of the argument, but I certainly understand why MS did what they did, and I'm happy with the experience. Even if you use the desktop in Win8 primary, the start screen is still a much easier to use and more powerful starter than the start screen was.

MS is obviously aiming for a transition to their Metro framework (Windows RT) over time, but I don't think the desktop will go away anytime soon.

I think it was 9 or 10 years ago, during the summer, I got very sick and was out of work for 3 days. I had just bought a PS2 and GTA III and I played it the whole time I was in bed. When I finally decided to try and go into work, I was running late that morning and seriously considered (deliriously, in the shower) borrowing a neighbor's car instead of riding the bus to get to work on time that morning. Yeah.

g8cuT.jpg
lol

I still find it kinda crazy that the leaked 56 page doc about the future of xbox was legit, however outdated.

I've read it and these are their main arguments:

- Title of the article is: “Is fanboy design killing Halo 4? (Less Fiction, More Game Design)”
- Injecting new ideas new ideas into the franchise isn’t easy and is one of the main reasons Ryan Payton left the project last year.
- Questions whether 343 has changed enough of the core Halo formula to stand out from the current FPS market, especially the high level of competition it will face.
- Halo 4’s progression system, armor abilities and Spartan Ops mode are playing catch-up with the current shooters.
- Questions whether it is right to make Chief a bigger focus and delving into the “convoluted ” Halo mythos.
- 343 focus on narrative and fiction is in expense of gameplay innovations.
- There is a section in the article talking about the fiction and the lead to it is: “And as Halo 4 readies its launch, it risks spilling far too much of its niche, and frankly tiresome, expanded universe into the game… ”

The whole article is juvenile to be honest, with barely any decent or sound arguments.

Yeah, that seems all over the place to be honest, but I guess its gonna rack up the hits for controversy. So, according to them Halo 4 should not have story and just like...shoot stuff? Also, I really doubt gameplay innovations were cut due to story, but ah well.

daedalius

So Metroid Prime 3 is pretty fun, looks alright on my tv too; wish the Wii wasn't a sub-hd mess though, this game would look amazing.

I did watch the Halo 4 gameplay again before I started playing tho ('dat HUD, so good!).

PNut

Banned
I usually only play Arena with a full team in Reach. Tonight I tried searching alone, FOR 15 MINUTES. couldn't find a match. I haven't even been rated yet this season and I couldn't find a match. So I gave up. Pop in Halo 3. Search RANKED TS 47 and find a match in within seconds. Got destroyed though. :/

My point is, does anyone here expect ranked Halo to be good again? I go to twitchTV to see people streaming Reach and everyone is playing Halo 3 again. Neighbor was killing kids in 1v1, some random guys were streaming MLG and TD's ranked. They are still playing.

So Metroid Prime 3 is pretty fun, looks alright on my tv too; wish the Wii wasn't a sub-hd mess though, this game would look amazing.

I did watch the Halo 4 gameplay again before I started playing tho ('dat HUD, so good!).
Unfortunately Metroid Prime 3 is a mess. #metroidprime3istheworstoftheseries

Havok

Fired up Reach to make sure that the map I'm submitting for the contest is properly tagged, realized somebody also tagged it as "bad." Sad face. Until I noticed that the maps surrounding it in the contestobj tag search have been tagged with "godawful" or "baaaaaad." Happier face.

Ramirez

Kind of like Reach, it's a good game, but a terrible entry into it's respective franchise. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom