• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
You remind me of a young man who once had to make that argument about Highlander, reminding people that there was only one Highlander movie. And no TV spinoff.

A brave but ultimately naive young man.

Perhaps he died.

I once knew a Spaniard with a Scottish accent that claimed to be from Egypt.

I said, "Cool story bro."

Fracas

#fuckonami
Finished Vanquish a couple hours ago.

Thought it was decent, but IMO it's overrated. 6.5/10
don't kill me

Which no one plays..so I play against DarkSims :(

Also PDZ is $5 this week on XBL, not sure if its worth that though.
Bought it from Gamestop for like $2.99 a few weeks ago.

Haha, not worth it at all.

No one plays it though :(
You don't need some big playerbase of random games you can hop in at all times. The joys of Perfect Dark come from grouping together some pals and playing in all sorts of stupid modes. With this, the XBLA version is perfection. The only thing I can fault about the XBLA version is what they did to Joanna's face.

wwm0nkey

Not even the Rare fansites like Perfect Dark Zero.

And these are the same people that actually enjoyed the Tribal hunt in JFG.

Thankfully we have Perfect Dark available via XBLA now. When you put in Zero, it should prompt you to buy PDXBLA instead.

edit: ohgodisoundliketheHaloCEfanboys
PDZ with adjusted aim + Zombie mode for $5 is worth it though lol

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Done with that level, just had to make sure to EMP everything on the turret.

Plasma rifles do wonders to Elite shields.

Stopping at Long Night of Solace for today. That space battle gives me chills just thinking about it on Legendary. Not to metnion the area where you defend Jorge.

Stopping at Long Night of Solace for today. That space battle gives me chills just thinking about it on Legendary. Not to metnion the area where you defend Jorge.

Kind of late now, but Focus Rifle + DMR is a crazy useful combination for the Spire part of Tip of the Spear, especially for long-range stationary targets like that Shade at the base of the tower.

Gui_PT

Kind of late now, but Focus Rifle + DMR is a crazy useful combination for the Spire part of Tip of the Spear, especially for long-range stationary targets like that Shade at the base of the tower.

Follow the right side of the mountain after your falcon crashes. Kill grunt with pp near the top of the hill and take it. Hop on the rocks right behind him to avoid the turrets. Get on car, drive onto spire lifts, plasma pistol sword elite after taking out the grunts. SKILL

Follow the right side of the mountain after your falcon crashes. Kill grunt with pp near the top of the hill and take it. Hop on the rocks right behind him to avoid the turrets. Get on car, drive onto spire lifts, plasma pistol sword elite after taking out the grunts. SKILL

It depends on what I'm in the mood for. Usually I'll just nab the Banshee, but I've tried stupid co-op stuff like all Plasma Pistol kills or even Punchmaster Extreme where you have to go and punch the shit out of everything and not shoot. It's difficult but possible with multiple people.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I grabbed the plasma turret from the Elite and demolished everything. Went up the Spire, lured the sword Elite outside and Plasma Rifled his shield then AR'd him.

Fuchsdh

Just hop in the Pelican turret and wreck. Can be a bit difficult if you don't have surround sound to aim until they blow up the gun, though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Took some screenshots before turning it off.

Dat skybox. My new iPad 3 wallpaper.

Screenshot.ashx

I think Long Night of Solace, the beach area, is one of the best looking parts in the game,

Man, the grain filters just ruins those shots, they would look so much better otherwise. =/

One of my favorite areas in the game for visuals would be the tundra on ONI: Swordbase, they really nailed that look IMO. Visually stunning.

Level_-_Oni.jpg

Tip of the Spear, The Package and POA are my best looker runner ups.

A cool choice for 343 to employ if they incorporate a "343 Pro" feature in Halo 4 is to let you take lossless screenshots from the game for a rendering minute or something. Loads of excellent shots, but the compression really botches them from something like wallpaper use.

couldn't find a better picture

but man, this covenant ship was beautiful. it sucks that you don't even spend very long on it. i would kill for a covenant ship mission as long as truth and reconciliation with this style.

this pic also reminded me, we've never seen the inside of a covenant Super carrier, other than the shadow of intents bridge, and hangar bay briefly in halo 3. halo one had a cruiser, halo 2 had high charity, and halo reach had a corvette.

Computron

So, I was looking through that Bungie Halo 3 Publication:

PPzAr.png

Bungie did something very similar to how Valve made thousands of zombie variants fit into memory in L4D2 on consoles. Gradient Ramp Mapping:

So, almost every muzzle flash in Halo 3 used one single, shared, low res greyscale texture. The small black and white one in the middle of the slides shown below:

Notice its the same one for all these guns. That save a ton of memory.

The muzzle flash is then remapped using a custom made 256x1 texture (the bar down at the bottom of each picture) which tells the material how to color the greyscale smoke texture and where to make it transparent. Each flash has its own gradient, which is how the get all the variation for their various guns.

I decided I would take a swing at making my own Plasma Material.
(All done in Photoshop, so it's not animating like it would in a particle system and theres no transparency/fade animation like there normally would be)

iUniDP7hfD5eF.gif

i514yH9CJtAKK.gif

Looks trippy!

I always liked the way Plasmas Would have those cool electric arcs. Especially in Halo 3.

couldn't find a better picture

but man, this covenant ship was beautiful. it sucks that you don't even spend very long on it. i would kill for a covenant ship mission as long as truth and reconciliation with this style.

this pic also reminded me, we've never seen the inside of a covenant Super carrier, other than the shadow of intents bridge, and hangar bay briefly in halo 3. halo one had a cruiser, halo 2 had high charity, and halo reach had a corvette.

Truth and Reconciliation in CEA took a lot of elements from the Corvette aesthetic if I'm remembering right. A Supercarrier interior probably has enough going on that you could spend a whole campaign in it though, honestly.

Computron

That's cool and all, but you've RUINED HOW I LOOK AT SHOOTING GUNS IN HALO 3 FOREVER!

But the thing is, you cant actually tell that its the same texture because the gradient changes it almost entirely, and the emitter can change other material properties and animations that I can't do in photoshop alone.

What's impressive is that they had around 2000 (IIRC) effects in the game and they would have to fit a ton of those in memory at the same time. So they would have to plan ahead and make sure that the multiuse textures like that greyscale one could be used in so many different ways. That's skill.

PNut

Banned
halo.xbox.com having file shares now is great news. Figured it was coming. Any mention on when we can render clips and if Halo 3/ODST will get some love? Right now the site doesn't even track game history for those games. I'm no computer engineer but how hard can it be to do? I mean sites like halocharts and halotracker used to do it. What gives?

Also, Halo 3 and ODST will still be playable online for at least until Halo 5 releases.

OKC first team in NBA history to come back from 3-1 deficient in finals. Bet it.

Computron

That's cool and all, but you've RUINED HOW I LOOK AT SHOOTING GUNS IN HALO 3 FOREVER!

Seriously though, if you get a chance, try going into theatre mode and try holding very lightly on the trigger while looking at and particles. (Shader/Material Animations are not limited to the 30fps limit on everything else in theatre)

It's truly impressive.

Can someone post a .gif of plasma explosions in Halo 4?

why you say that? This new franchise allows them to do the things they wanted to do with Halo, but couldn't because they had to stay within the series in their minds. Plus they will most likely have the features that have been cut in Halo 4. So I can see people liking Bungie's new game more.

wwm0nkey

why you say that? This new franchise allows them to do the things they wanted to do with Halo, but couldn't because they had to stay within the series in their minds. Plus they will most likely have the features that have been cut in Halo 4. So I can see people liking Bungie's new game more.

Why would Destiny have features cut from Halo 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom