• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

daedalius

Been mulling over Halo 4 MP.

Sprint kills my boner. I'd take the text and remove Sprint if I could.
But since I can't, it'd be really really nice if that text in the middle was optional.
I'd love to hear why that can't happen.

Sprint isn't quite as fast as it was in Reach.

If the maps are built with sprint in mind, and you can't escape easily with it (stopping power), then it shouldn't be a problem.

Sprint isn't quite as fast as it was in Reach.

If the maps are built with sprint in mind, and you can't escape easily with it (stopping power), then it shouldn't be a problem.
It's just not what I want. I'm thinking about the other shooters I've enjoyed e.g. Counter Strike, Halo 1 - 3, where the base speed is a good pace, you might occassionally slow it down but you don't increase it irregularly.
It's a slower pace of play that I enjoy.

daedalius

It's just not what I want. I'm thinking about the other shooters I've enjoyed e.g. Counter Strike, Halo 1 - 3, where the base speed is a good pace, you might occassionally slow it down but you don't increase it irregularly.
It's a slower pace of play that I enjoy.

I wouldn't say the pace of speed in Halo 3 was very good; sprint wouldn't have been bad in some cases in it. Or a higher base speed (MLG speed was pretty great, although they didn't play on maps like avalanche either). I think its all about finding a medium where its useful on big and small maps, because you're primarily using it to get around, but you don't want it to be too powerful.

Counterstrike is an anomaly considering every other modern day shooter out there now has ADS and sprint; but I enjoyed it nonetheless back when I played it frequently. I don't think a temporary slight boost of speed would have hurt the game overall though.

I wouldn't say the pace of speed in Halo 3 was very good; sprint wouldn't have been bad in some cases in it. Or a higher base speed (MLG speed was pretty great, although they didn't play on maps like avalanche either)

Counterstrike is an anomaly considering every other modern day shooter out there now has ADS and sprint; but I enjoyed it nonetheless back when I played it frequently. I don't think a temporary slight boost of speed would have hurt the game overall though.
And I wouldn't agree, that's all.

Spitz

Game will be localized in the normal suite of languages. Come at me Brazil Portuguese vs Portugal Portuguese!

Nice but what about multiple languages on one disc? My Problem is that i want the Original Voices cause all previous German localizations of Halo sadly sucked. I preordered the German Limited Edition of Halo 4 but will switch to the UK Version if Halo 4 is not multilingual on the disc like Halo 3, ODST and Reach. The Halo Anniversary last year was multilingual which was a first for an Xbox 360 Halo Game.

Edit:
I hope you will also offer the Spartan Ops Missions in Multilingual Versions on all Market Places. The Lionhead guys offered Original Voices Packages for Fable 2 and 3 as a Download cause it won't fit on the Disc same with Mass Effect 3 this year.

Well, we both agree on the text in the middle of the screen being bothersome.
+ 20 Disagreement Points
+ 10 Agreement Points
+ 50 J10 Actual Halo Discussion Points
- 10 J10 Not Frankie or Ellis Post Points

Now that I have received these points I feel validated as a GAF poster and without them I would not have a comfort blanket to dry my tears over sprint. Thank you Evilore.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
But, uh, just saw the aming side thread about Sp Ops and also noticed that expertzone mentioned a total of 10 new weapons and 2 new vehicles? That seems a bit low tbh, especially with all the talk of the UNSC reverse engineering covenant and forerunner tech.. mix that with the Prometheans and I really felt we would see more new. On top of that, I swear there was an interview around or after Halo fest that said there would be more new weapons in Halo 4 than returning.. I guess that changed?

As for 2 new vehicles, I suppose the "Mammoth" is one, or does that count as a returning (elephant)... Another candidate would be that smaller white Mech thing... Still, 2 new vehicles feels just a tad low.
Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed by that, too. Especially considering we already know several of the new weapons: Light Rifle, Scattershot, Storm Rifle, Railgun, and Sticky Detonator. There's only five new weapons left unrevealed? That really sucks. :-(

And part of me is wondering whether we'll see Promethean vehicles at all. They don't necessarily seem to need them, fiction wise.

Blissful

Neo Member
I'm just dying to know if Halo 4 will have a competitive ranking system. So far everything that has been published/posted talks only about a progression system as being the method of ranking up (win/lose you still rank up). I pray that Halo 4 does not follow Halo Reach's system that caters 95% towards uncompetitive social multiplayer. If Halo 4 does not have a 1-50 like ranking system or any form of competitive ranking system like StarCraft, then the game should just be recognized as a Halo Reach multiplayer expansion pack.

ps. I'm just talking about multiplayer here, Campaign and Spartan Ops look great, but I'm more of a multiplayer guy and would highly appreciate if 343 brings back the competitive ranking system that Bungie destroyed with Halo Reach.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I just saw the Expertzone stuff, and it seems like those 10 weapons and 2 vehicles are DLC that comes with Spartan Ops, not part of the base game.

edit: So many juniors....Welcome!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
From what I've heard from those who have played Halo 4, the text isn't bad. You probably don't even notice it after a while. I remember before Reach was coming out I was worried that the credits given would pop up in the middle of the screen too. When I found out they were hidden in a corner I was relieved. This time around, I feel like it's not a big deal to me.

The more Reach I play, the more excited I am for H4. Not because I don't love Reach, because I do. It's because from what I've seen and heard H4 has less emphasis on melees and grenades. At this point nothing is more frustrating than close range battles in MLG Reach. I'm the guy who wants to shoot and get the kill and the other guy always wants to get the double melee. It's becoming frustrating and is a part of the game that my opinion has changed on over the years. Something like shortening melee lunge would have made me laugh just a couple years ago but now it seems like a good thing.

Can't wait to play and play with my old team again. Gonna be so much fun.

heckfu

Banned
I just saw the Expertzone stuff, and it seems like those 10 weapons and 2 vehicles are DLC that comes with Spartan Ops, not part of the base game.

edit: So many juniors....Welcome!

The thing about the juniors is that only a small percentage of juniors will stay active active.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
In the fifth pic in this set, it says "For the first time, the Master Chief will have a true nemesis". I wonder what that means. Halo 4: Now It's Personal?

Risen

From what I've heard from those who have played Halo 4, the text isn't bad. You probably don't even notice it after a while. I remember before Reach was coming out I was worried that the credits given would pop up in the middle of the screen too. When I found out they were hidden in a corner I was relieved. This time around, I feel like it's not a big deal to me.

The more Reach I play, the more excited I am for H4. Not because I don't love Reach, because I do. It's because from what I've seen and heard H4 has less emphasis on melees and grenades. At this point nothing is more frustrating than close range battles in MLG Reach. I'm the guy who wants to shoot and get the kill and the other guy always wants to get the double melee. It's becoming frustrating and is a part of the game that my opinion has changed on over the years. Something like shortening melee lunge would have made me laugh just a couple years ago but now it seems like a good thing.

Can't wait to play and play with my old team again. Gonna be so much fun.

Played a game on Zealot last night where for more than half the game I literally only died by melee or grenade.

In the fifth pic in this set, it says "For the first time, the Master Chief will have a true nemesis". I wonder what that means. Halo 4: Now It's Personal?
220px-Jaws_the_revenge.jpg

And part of me is wondering whether we'll see Promethean vehicles at all. They don't necessarily seem to need them, fiction wise.

There's still hope for a Forerunner chopper. All of the Forerunner vehicles we've seen so far have just been elaborate Sentinels; maybe the vehicles are completely new, and rather than Forerunner vehicles, we occasionally just use "sentinel mounts" where we can, say, pilot an Enforcer to fly and fire needles/missiles or use a Guardian Sentinel to fly around and burn holes in facilities.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Halo Legends is Non Canon right?
AFAIK the whole thing is canon except for the joke episode with the 1337 Spartan. dealwithit.gif
CyReN and Plywood: sorry for quitting out last night, im heading to disney world this morning and its a couple hours drive, so i needed to get my sleep.
Don't worry about it.
Sorry - I was talking about angry feedback, generally - not you in particular, or even Cursed Lemon.
Is it cool if I rage about my randoms to highlight the inability of trueskill at this moment in time as a method of venting my frustration over the inner mechanics of the matchmaking experience?

AFAIK the whole thing is canon except for the joke episode with the 1337 Spartan. dealwithit.gif

Don't worry about it.

I think Frankie confirmed The Duel was non-canon since the Grunts didn't fit in with the time period or something. I like to think since it's Halo Legends, they're not meant to be taken at face value; you don't consider regular legends completely accurate works of fact, do you?

Tawpgun

When someone on the winning team has a Tool of Destruction as their melee, something is wrong.

This and grenades. I always laugh when someones first line of attack is

Sprint -> Melee -> Grenade -> Jump Back

Then I cry because of how stupidly effective it is.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I think Frankie confirmed The Duel was non-canon since the Grunts didn't fit in with the time period or something. I like to think since it's Halo Legends, they're not meant to be taken at face value; you don't consider regular legends completely accurate works of fact, do you?
But things like Origins and The Package have to be canon though, right?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That Promethean Lego vehicle is fake.

This is going to have to be posted on every page for the rest of OT5 now, haha.

But things like Origins and The Package have to be canon though, right?

I would consider them "satellite canon:" some of the aspects are definitely true like Kurt holding off the covenant in the cargo bay using just knives and surviving, but I'm sure a lot of things like Halsey's Package appearance and that shipmaster just so happening to be the Arbiter should be an artistic license thing, especially since they don't really hold any validity in any other media. Even in CE: Anniversary, Halsey's "young" appearance
when shown in the Terminal where Keyes is fighting not to be taken over by the Proto-Gravemind
is shown as a modified version of Reach's, the only difference being she's younger and uses a hairstyle that's more similar to the Package version. Given all the effort 343 goes through to try and seamlessly integrate all the canon, I'd say a lot of the concepts that were more out there in Legends are just due to not all being handled by the same company so there's bound to be some discrepancies.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Just ordered Halo 2. It's been five years since I last played it. :-O

Akai__

I still can't deal with the number of referees at EuroCup. It feels really strange to me and in my opinion it's a waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom