• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

heckfu

Banned
Breaking news: Actual look at a Promethean vehicle

zmPPw.jpg

I love pod racing!

Havok

Is there any way to play the Halo 2 maps on the Xbox, or does it basically require Vista?
If you don't already have them on your hard drive, you can buy the map pack disc and install them. It doesn't include Tombstone and Desolation, though. There are usually 8 or 9 games going on XBConnect, with more at peak hours.

The emulation on the 360 is so bad that at this point, I can't say that I'd recommend the Xbox version of H2 to anyone. H2V isn't perfect by a long shot, but it isn't quite as screwy as the original.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Well if playing on the 360 just remember that there will be times you have to save and quit and restart your 360 due to ghosting issues with the emulation.
Yeah, thanks. I remember it being pretty bad on my last play through, but I can deal with it.

ElRenoRaven

THAT'S What that is? I thought it was just my copy!

Yeah, thanks. I remember it being pretty bad on my last play through, but I can deal with it.

I though that was only me. Haha.

LMAO. Nah it's an emulation issue. You'll notice it usually happens after a cutscene plays. It is the worst at the end of the game. Usually have to after every cutscene then. That's one big reason I play the Vista version anymore. Well that and lack of texture pop in. lol

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
And I'm not even going to bother playing through Halo 2 on Legendary.

Nightmares.

I usually only got it during gameplay, when suddenly the outline of a previous skyline was ghosted on the screen.
Same.

Akai__

LMAO. Nah it's an emulation issue. You'll notice it usually happens after a cutscene plays. It is the worst at the end of the game. Usually have to after every cutscene then. That's one big reason I play the Vista version anymore. Well that and lack of texture pop in. lol

I hope the next gen Xbox is doing this better. I would like to play my Xbox 360 on the new Xbox without issues.

ElRenoRaven

I hope the next gen Xbox is doing this better. I would like to play my Xbox 360 on the new Xbox without issues.

It should. The only reason they had such a problem this gen was the gpu change. Going from Nvidia to ATI was a massive change. Also didn't help that they didn't own the chipset. Microsoft learned from that this gen. So I'd expect almost 100 percent BC next gen.

Overdoziz

Banned
5 weeks delivery time?

I might get it for that price but im very meh on the multi. A beta would have done wonders 343. Alas.

Whats in the LE?
I think it just says >5 weeks because it hasn't been released yet.
Not sure though, never bought anything at Wehkamp.

ElRenoRaven

Yup. Cairo Station + any level with Jackal snipers = tears.

Ironically those didn't bother me on Legendary. What has stopped me for the longest time was the Hanger bay of course but then the buggers in the Halo level that come out after you jump down that one waterfall and cross a point at the midpoint of that area. After that it was the Prophets chambers. I just can't take the brutes out with the crappy weapons you have to start that level. I eventually gave up. It's the only Halo I haven't beaten on Legendary.

Havok

Ironically those didn't bother me on Legendary. What has stopped me for the longest time was the Hanger bay of course but then the buggers in the Halo level that come out after you jump down that one waterfall and cross a point at the midpoint of that area. After that it was the Prophets chambers. I just can't take the brutes out with the crappy weapons you have to start that level. I eventually gave up. It's the only Halo I haven't beaten on Legendary.
This is the hardest part of the game by far, no matter what horrible memories people have of the other bits. It wins out in that contest because there's no way to cheese it like there is for the entirety of Outskirts, all of Delta Halo, and Cairo's Hangar Bay 2.

ElRenoRaven

after going through the entire series again I'll say it has some of my favorite cutscenes, but otherwise i found the levels to be somewhat mediocre compared to other Halo titles.

I'd agree there. I've actually come to love the game more over the years but a lot of the levels are very linear compared to the other games in the series. There are a couple of stand out levels though. Those namely being the library levels. Those levels were some of my favorite levels in all of the Halo games.

Akai__

It should. The only reason they had such a problem this gen was the gpu change. Going from Nvidia to ATI was a massive change. Also didn't help that they didn't own the chipset. Microsoft learned from that this gen. So I'd expect almost 100 percent BC next gen.

According to the leaked documents it should be no problem. I hope they will make some changes to the games, too. For example pushing the player limit from BF3 from 24 player to 64 if possible.

Basic idea for a Forerunner chopper:
cJnkx.png

It could start out "compacted" into a basic little seat/pod that was almost engineer-shaped, but entering it would make all of the parts sprawl out. The idea here is that the seat is a separate entity to the "booster saw;" the Spartan sticks his hands into the side-gauntlet things, which allow you to move, shoot, etc. A "solo" Chopper would be faster and the driver would have full control. However:

kdndO.png

A teammate (or enemy) could have a prompt to enter the back seat of a Chopper, which would make the tailfins reconfigure into a separate seat in the back. Likewise, this is unattached to front of base of the vehicle. The gunner controls the cannons (which are now mounted on the back, BUT the user mostly "trails" along with whatever directions the driver moves, and has limited control of their view), and the driver can now only drive and boost (driving is way slower with a passenger), and either Right Trigger or Boost could control the actual "ramming" vehicle kill ability the Chopper had.

The co-op Chopper driver could theoretically have Boost (similar to a Ghost) on front, but be non-lethal; or have a short boost where the sawblades expand on the right trigger. Using this "nonlethal" mode would allow for a passenger in the back to carry a flag, bomb, etc. at the cost of neither Spartan being able to use the cannons.

I mean, I know you know this, but you realize what button mapping would do to the test parameters of a sandbox game with lots of animation dependencies, right? It would take 100 years to strip out glitches, button combos, errors, etc, etc.
Most PC games allow full keyboard mapping and that's a heck of a lot more to account for than a controller. How does that process differ when developing a console game and why would it take that much longer (based on your hyperbolic statement)?

A group of gaffers and I won 4/5 games with melees only a few months back. lol
Those games were glorious. I was losing my shit, so funny.

So uh who's on my team again?
You+Me+wwm0nkey+Shadders

Get with the program!

Outlandish statement time: Halo 2 Campaign is underrated.
Best narrative and Universe portrayal in the series (ending aside), but I'd say the poorest combat. Something "stiff" about the entire thing.

Has a few neat moments gameplay wise (3 way battles had me shitting bricks) but other than that... I'd find it hardest to replay with enthusiasm.

ElRenoRaven

According to the leaked documents it should be no problem. I hope they will make some changes to the games, too. For example pushing the player limit from BF3 from 24 player to 64 if possible.

Sadly I don't see that happening. In fact you're starting to see more PC games with 16 players becoming more common. It's a trend I'm not liking. I've always felt that 24 should be the absolute minimum. I'd love to see some big team battle that was actually big team battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom