• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai__

Sadly I don't see that happening. In fact you're starting to see more PC games with 16 players becoming more common. It's a trend I'm not liking. I've always felt that 24 should be the absolute minimum. I'd love to see some big team battle that was actually big team battle.

I agree with you 100% here.

Instawin.

Who the fuck is Shadders? Who are these newbies? Where's my cane? Get the fuck off my lawn.
Shadders is a guy. From Europe I believe. wwm0nkey has been on GAF for a long time. I was a "captain" and was able to draft 1 player, which was you cause you're beast, and the rest were assigned. We'll make the wolfpack proud.

BigShow36

Best narrative and Universe portrayal in the series (ending aside), but I'd say the poorest combat. Something "stiff" about the entire thing.

Has a few neat moments gameplay wise (3 way battles had me shitting bricks) but other than that... I'd find it hardest to replay with enthusiasm.

Meh, I thought H2's campaign tried way too hard to be "cool." I think I face-palmed about half of the dialogue.

rock-beats-paper.gif

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Most PC games allow full keyboard mapping and that's a heck of a lot more to account for than a controller. How does that process differ when developing a console game and why would it take that much longer (based on your hyperbolic statement)?

Those games were glorious. I was losing my shit, so funny.

You+Me+wwm0nkey+Shadders

Get with the program!

It's not about consoles vs PCs, its about Halo systems and content. That and ease of use, which is console specific but a small part of the issue.

There's no philosophy at play on this one, just production reality - if it were feasible we would do it. Maybe one day.

Frankie, custom mapping is unfeasible, but how likely are we to see the proposed Bumper Jumper layout (with Armor Ability and Sprint on A and X, respectively) that has been posted here?

Overdoziz

Banned
It's not about consoles vs PCs, its about Halo systems and content. That and ease of use, which is console specific but a small part of the issue.

There's no philosophy at play on this one, just production reality - if it were feasible we would do it. Maybe one day.
Do you by any chance know what the difference is between Halo and Nexuiz in terms of controls that make it possible to add button mapping in Nexuiz but not in Halo? What "Halo systems" are you talking about exactly, if you don't mind me asking?

So, uhhh...

how close is my rendition of the Forerunner Chopper to the one in-game?

EDIT:
Do you by any chance know what the difference is between Halo and Nexuiz in terms of controls that make it possible to add button mapping in Nexuiz but not in Halo? What "Halo systems" are you talking about exactly, if you don't mind me asking?

I've heard in the past the main reason is that allowing full control would potentially add a lot of fucked up button combos. And not in the way Smash Bros. or Street Fighter would handle it, instead of BXRs you'd be getting things like "oh god why did I just start driving a hardlight shield" or "how did my plasma pistol get stuck charging every time i crouch i am not good with computer."

kylej

Banned

Well at least don't change pre-existing control schemes. I'm sure someone at 343 believes they have the definitive control scheme for Halo 4, but I'm not interested in that until I try my traditional setup and see how it plays. I think Green Thumb is crazy, but I don't think it should be removed from the game. I don't know how Walkie Talkie could be used, but Pistola plays on it.

Legacy content like Bumper Jumper should never, ever be tweaked from game to game.

BigShow36

Well at least don't change pre-existing control schemes. I'm sure someone at 343 believes they have the definitive control scheme for Halo 4, but I'm not interested in that until I try my traditional setup and see how it plays. I think Green Thumb is crazy, but I don't think it should be removed from the game. I don't know how Walkie Talkie could be used, but Pistola plays on it.

Legacy content like Bumper Jumper should never, ever be tweaked from game to game.

If there's one thing Halo developers are good at, its changing things that don't need to be changed.

heckfu

Banned

Agreed! Making the switch from Recon to Bumper Jumper was one of the toughest things I've had to do in Halo but I'm doing much better now I'm used to it. Hope it stays really similar in H4.

Doodis

This is a totally random thought and sorry for derailing, but I've been thinking about the supposed "ancient evil" lately. Right now, we're all assuming it's the Didact, right? Most signs point in that direction. But if it is him, why is he being called an ancient evil? There's nothing in the Forerunner novels that presents him as "evil," so to speak.

Has this been brought up? Sorry if it has. Frankie, feel free to spoil the entire game by giving an answer.

789shadow

Banned
This is a totally random thought and sorry for derailing, but I've been thinking about the supposed "ancient evil" lately. Right now, we're all assuming it's the Didact, right? Most signs point in that direction. But if it is him, why is he being called an ancient evil? There's nothing in the Forerunner novels that presents him as "evil," so to speak.

Has this been brought up? Sorry if it has. Frankie, feel free to spoil the entire game by giving an answer.
It sounds better in promotional materials.

BigShow36

Its the Kraken.

Didact isn't exactly the biggest fan of humanity.

daedalius

Played some H3 over the past few days. I find Bubble Shield and Regen just as annoying as Armor Lock.

Regen is definitely worse than post-TU armor lock.

Bubble shield is pretty annoying; I find the Hardlight shield to be a pretty smart evolution in terms of design for a 'shield'. Much better than bubble/AL anyway.

Ancient Evil is what Didact and his Prometheans are there to keep locked up, duh. MC/Covenant stumble into releasing them.

Didact isn't exactly the biggest fan of humanity.

We also need to point out that Guilty Spark seemed pretty damn crazy the further into the original trilogy you went; 100,000 years of isolation will do that to you. The Didact may have very well been sealed away for that entire time. Forerunner technology may be timeless, but who's to say something didn't go wrong... that the Didact had millennia alone to himself and his thoughts?

darthbob

We also need to point out that Guilty Spark seemed pretty damn crazy the further into the original trilogy you went; 100,000 years of isolation will do that to you. The Didact may have very well been sealed away for that entire time. Forerunner technology may be timeless, but who's to say something didn't go wrong... that the Didact had millennia alone to himself and his thoughts?

Maybe he's just a dick.

Overdoziz

Banned
Bubble shield is pretty annoying; I find the Hardlight shield to be a pretty smart evolution in terms of design for a 'shield'. Much better than bubble/AL anyway.
I wonder why Bungie never added the deployable cover to multiplayer. Always seemed like a better version of the bubble shield to me.

100,000 years of touching myself would turn me crazy too :/

You should stand at the forefront and say things like "We want consoles to have options, we believe console gamers are just as smart as PC gamers and they can handle the additional setup" not , we want ease of use.

By the way most games with "options" aren't more complex. People don't boot up WoW and see pages of options in setup and say OH FUCK THIS I QUIT. They just have options. They work and you click them and they do things. You guys are just too lazy and non progressive to implement them.

I don't even need to know what goes behind all of it. The fact I see other games do it and you don't basically proves it. Far Cry editor. Years ago. Forge 2012. Blah Blah so on and so forth.

----

Anyways so Team Wolf is Devo, Barrow, Monkey and Shadders? Or did I read that wrong, Hell yes though solid team.

BigShow36

The fact the Hardlight Shield could stop a 1v1 gun battle annoyed me to an extent (I guess a person with good aim could shoot the feet or a scattershot user could ricochet the projectile underneath the shield), but the fact that a HLS user cannot avoid explosives and is susceptible to attack from the side/rear due to slow movement and turn speed makes it better then AL, Bubble Shield, and Regen.

While there are certainly ways around the HS, what I don't like is exactly what you pointed out; it stops 1v1 encounters.

Halo is already suffering from an overreliance on teamshot to resolve conflicts. I don't think we need even more stuff to slow down engagements and nerf individuals.

They really evolved the game though. I mean the normal Halo formula was getting really boring, we really needed that gamechanger of people busting out instakill and invulnerable shielding in the middle of a battle.

Yep, can't imagine Halo without them now. I can't handle the core Halo gameplay without some random gimmicks thrown in to switch things up.

kylej

Banned
I don't even need to know what goes behind all of it. The fact I see other games do it and you don't basically proves it. Far Cry editor. Years ago. Forge 2012. Blah Blah so on and so forth.

There are only enough resources to make a live-action ad for a playoff sporting event and to invite NFL prospects to a private pre-release party in New York to play the game. Not enough for customizable controls. Get your expectations in check, sir.

daedalius

I wonder why Bungie never added the deployable cover to multiplayer. Always seemed like a better version of the bubble shield to me.

That's a good question, deployable cover really is much better than bubble shields.

Weird; they could have replaced every bubble shield in the game with deployable cover and I would have been happier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom