• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

Yet again Fuchsdh delivers.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS MEAAAAANS
jack_oneill-i_get_confused.jpg

FyreWulff

tl;dr on my way up to Canada I'm going to play IRL oddball with someone's Mac upgrades.

A5Uqg.jpg

Mac Pro RAM looks like it belongs in a car engine. 8GB of the stuff.

Anyone getting on Halo soon?

I like the beer threads the best on GAF. SnobGAF goes so hard in those threads. Anything from America/Canada is pisswater no matter what.

"You need a thick stought found only in Germany during the winter months for it not to be the worst thing I've ever tasted and I've drank seamonkeys."
~Random GAFFER.

Fuchsdh

tl;dr on my way up to Canada I'm going to play IRL oddball with someone's Mac upgrades.

A5Uqg.jpg

Mac Pro RAM looks like it belongs in a car engine. 8GB of the stuff.

Anyone getting on Halo soon?

The Mac Pro is the easiest computer I've ever upgraded anything with. It looks like a Mercedes when you pop the hatch off. I need a new computer desperately and I really hope Apple does a meaningful update to the line soon.

It means I like you.

EDIT: BUT NOT LIKE THAT!

'k. Rightbackatcha'.

cWLcG.gif

Trey

lol this is NeoGAF. Also, I fuckin lol at the guys who go into the fitness thread and say they wanna work out but they don't wanna get huge. As if they wake up one night and are jacked lol

We all bitch and complain when people do this shit but secretly we love knocking down idiots. Only so long you can talk about eating fucking cottage cheese and asshole number three thousand, five hunned, seventy fo' curling in the squat rack. Passive aggressively chastising the misinformed is our down time, along with squat booty pics.

Also, even though the ending sucked, Mass Effect 3 is a good ass game. Sorry. Will be number third on my GotY list behind H4 and GW2 unless something completely comes out of left field.

FyreWulff

The Mac Pro is the easiest computer I've ever upgraded anything with. It looks like a Mercedes when you pop the hatch off. I need a new computer desperately and I really hope Apple does a meaningful update to the line soon.

Yeah. Although my friend had to hunt for the last graphics card that works in his, apparently he's going to have to reflash this when he installs it:

LSyYj.jpg

(this card is HUEG)

He gave up waiting for them to put out a notable upgrade to the Pro.

Watch them announce one two weeks after he installs this

Fuchsdh

Yeah. Although my friend had to hunt for the last graphics card that works in his, apparently he's going to have to reflash this when he installs it:

LSyYj.jpg

(this card is HUEG)

He gave up waiting for them to put out a notable upgrade to the Pro.

Watch them announce one two weeks after he installs this

After people bitched about how they had the temerity to do some minor price drops and brand the 2-year old rev on the store "new" they finally copped that a real update was coming in 2013.

Of course that could mean 18 months of waiting for me, but no way I'm getting some glossy-screened iMac with a laptop GPU. Mah After Effects, it needs moar RAM.

Meanwhile I've begun wearing through the plastic palmrests on my 2008 MBR. Really wish they'd had the unibody designs when I bought it.

FyreWulff

I want a mac pro so bad so I can run pro tools and logic properly. Being limited to 8 tracks at once is annoying.

I need some sort of mac soon so I can start iPhone/iPad dev. Will probably just get a Mac Mini at first, but that'll be after I built a new Windows machine. I'm leaving the PC I'm typing on right now behind in the states. Ol' Athlon 2400 2-core with a GeForce 7800 GT w/ 2GB of RAM. It's going to be a facebook/homework/teaching computer at my mom's house as of next week.

FyreWulff

Do people actually enjoy default Reach?

I enjoy and prefer default Reach, but the TU should have been universal from day 1. It was way more annoying that we had little bits of Vanilla left to play than if they had just said "this is Reach now".

Also, will there ever be a Reach 1.2?

Microsoft funding another Reach TU? lolno. One and done, baby. Enjoy your Windows Phone 7 Functionality. You wanted that over actual bugfixes, right?

DeadNames

Banned
I enjoy and prefer default Reach, but the TU should have been universal from day 1. It was way more annoying that we had little bits of Vanilla left to play than if they had just said "this is Reach now".

Microsoft funding another Reach TU? lolno. One and done, baby.

Why do you prefer default rather than TU? I've had some... memorable experiences with default.

Almost spit my drink out laughing at this. Updates to Halo. Hahah.

You never know! 343 could pull a fast one on us!

Whoever mentioned MixCraft the other day, thank you so much! I downloaded the 2 week trial and I love it! So much cool shit to mess around with and it is really easy to throw stuff together and tweak.

I have the trial version of Reason but the interface was confusing. I use a pretty low end laptop so I assume that is why I get input lag when playing to a steady beat.

If I can save songs, I'll try do some Halo stuff lol.

Oh yeah, boo the juniors. Boooo.
I love you all... kind of... maybe?

Quick, GAFington, is SSX (the newer one) worth picking up for $7.99? I've got a coupon about to expire in an hour and am crowdsourcing the decision. It's the only one that looks remotely good from the bunch :p

Ken

Quick, GAFington, is SSX (the newer one) worth picking up for $7.99? I've got a coupon about to expire in an hour and am crowdsourcing the decision. It's the only one that looks remotely good from the bunch :p

I don't have it myself but it looks good, and for $8.00 why not?

and for every thing you think you're definitely correct about but that, gosh darn it, those jerks just refuse to listen, there's probably a good reason it isn't so.
I wish I could emblazon this on some HaloGAF monitor bezels.

Do people actually enjoy default Reach?
What a silly question. For an entire year people played nothing but default Reach. The only TU list that is very popular is Big Team, and that's because it has a monopoly on its niche and player size. We already had a vote on whether Team Slayer was going to have TU settings, and given their reluctance to report the results of their poorly designed poll, and the resulting matchmaking changes, it's not likely that TU won.

BigShow36

Seems more worthwhile to just load up Quake Live instead. That style of multiplayer FPS on a controller just seems fruitless to me.

It works great with a controller, and the game plays amazing with aim assist off. There's an actual skill-gap with the aiming, and if the MM and lag wasn't so wonky, I'd be playing a lot more.

FyreWulff

iOS games?

Yep. And ones that don't have a shitty virtual dpad/buttons. They'll actually use the touch screen as a touch screen.

Also, Fire Team Zulu app incoming.

Why do you prefer default rather than TU? I've had some... memorable experiences with TU.

The bloom change would have been fine if they had adjust the guns ROF along with the bloom change. And crouching gives you effective zero bloom (reticule resets completely before you can fire again). Changing something as important as bloom without changing the rest of the gun was silly.

Then tying the change into the Needle Rifle, which was a gun that was ENTIRELY designed around bloom, which mean that you could fire at someone's belt and get a headshot. It also gets effective ZB when you crouch. I noticed this within the first two kills at HaloFest, and they pushed it out anyway. The NR should have stayed at 100%.

Buffing the Sword with being unable to block it but leaving hammer clang in is all kinds of "huh".

The camo change was pointless (you can still make about 90% of the distance across the map while cloaked vs vanilla), the AL change should have been to just delete AL from playlists instead of the drain which is a waste of ammo..

When Bungie did Halo 2's Big Update, they changed most of the sandbox at the same time. 343 changed very little of the sandbox, and the parts they changed were big changes. Without reckoning the rest of the sandbox with it, they left Reach's sandbox damaged. And then being dealt the insult of "default Reach will remain default" while each update takes another 3 vanilla playlists away made me more pissed than if they had just made the TU global from day 1. Especially after also saying the TU elements would be beta tested first then deployed into general matchmaking, then pushing the TU into most of matchmaking and removing the broken elements later.

They went so far as to throw LAN compatibility out the window.. something Bungie never did, which held Bungie back from making certain changes. You break LAN, you can do practically whatever the hell you want since 1.0 is no longer holding you back. And what do we get? A half-assed DMR/NR/Pistol change, only one gun gets hooks to change it's damage and ROF (Magnum), the Anniversary Pistol mode patched into every single map even though we'll never see it used in MM on a non-Annimappack map, no rebalancing of ANY vehicle, the AR's bloom was not reduced to 85% to stay in-line with the other bloom guns.. Reach is just a textbook example of "Not how to do a TU". Oh, and going on and on about how they had all these knobs and levers to change a bunch of stuff and then just giving us 85% bloom and 0% bloom and calling it a day was hilarious. Where's 50% bloom? 60%? 150%? What about a mode where the Pistol kills in one shot and fires super slowly? What about a gametype where AL gets drained in a single shot? They're sitting on a Megalo goldmine and refusing to use it.

Ah shit, I'm talking about the TU again.

DeadNames

Banned
It works great with a controller, and the game plays amazing with aim assist off. There's an actual skill-gap with the aiming, and if the MM and lag wasn't so wonky, I'd be playing a lot more.

Me too. Played a couple games a few nights ago; I loved it. Then it got boring and too laggy.

Whoever mentioned MixCraft the other day, thank you so much! I downloaded the 2 week trial and I love it! So much cool shit to mess around with and it is really easy to throw stuff together and tweak.

I have the trial version of Reason but the interface was confusing. I use a pretty low end laptop so I assume that is why I get input lag when playing to a steady beat.

If I can save songs, I'll try do some Halo stuff lol.

Oh yeah, boo the juniors. Boooo.
I love you all... kind of... maybe?

Some helpful things to look up:
u-he (creators of multiple virtual synthesizers, Zebra2 in particular can host thousands of potential instruments)
Native Instruments and EastWest (Native Instruments specializes in a variety of software instruments, mostly cinematic/synth sound sets and pianos/organs; EastWest is more varied and has a lot more orchestral stuff like choirs)
sfz (Plugin that lets you use Soundfonts in-engine)
After you have sfz figured out, some good places for pretty free and basic Soundfonts include:
http://www.fox-gieg.com/rkhive/banks.html
http://freesoundvault.com/
http://www.hammersound.com/

Viena's SynthFont is a pretty good Soundfont player but you can either play Mixcraft's sound files in Synthfont or set up sfz so that you can use soundfonts in Mixcraft. SynthFont is freeware.

www.rampancy.net has a boatload of Halo-related MIDI files that can be played in Mixcraft.
Likewise, www.vgmusic.com is also pretty useful for videogame music in general.

The input lag/buffering is definitely because of the laptop, you can probably tweak settings in File > Preferences to get rid of it though. Tracks that actually render as audio files won't share these "pops." Overall it's definitely worth the $85 or $150 if you buy the whole thing.

[TU COMMENTARY]
Just a couple of corrections, I don't believe the TU DMR is zero bloom on crouch, but it's almost there. The Needle Rifle is zero bloom all of the time, just hold that trigger down, baby. Removing bleedthrough nerfed the NR a little, because it now requires an additional shot.

FyreWulff

I can see what you mean.

Is it possible to lower the bloom on the AR? It seems to me that the TU settings make it A LOT more powerful. And I agree on the varied gametypes... I wonder how 50 percent bloom would work out.

Since they threw out LAN compat, any gun could have had it's RoF and bloom changed. And the AR was superbuffed in bleedthrough at close range (it was an absurdly low amount of bullets before you were able to get a one-punch kill), but that element is gone now.

edit: In Vanilla, you can burst fire the AR out to a longer range than it's usually capable of, but not quite to DMR range (as it should be). So you can harass/kill if you actually bother to learn how to use the AR. In the TU, this range was lowered significantly since the DMR user can return fire much faster on you, I don't bother with it in TU gametypes anymore. Changing the AR's bloom would have made bursting it stay in line with the DMR's ability to fire faster optimally. All I wanted was the sandbox to stay in synch.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
What a silly question. For an entire year people played nothing but default Reach. The only TU list that is very popular is Big Team, and that's because it has a monopoly on its niche and player size. We already had a vote on whether Team Slayer was going to have TU settings, and given their reluctance to report the results of their poorly designed poll, and the resulting matchmaking changes, it's not likely that TU won.
The only MM change they did as a result of the "poll" was get rid of Squad Slayer and give us another 4v4 Slayer playlist which made no sense whatsoever. Not forgetting to mention they really didn't go about informing the players what exactly they were voting for. I recall people in this thread stating friends as well as people they matched up with had no idea what the TU even did.

DeadNames

Banned
Since they threw out LAN compat, any gun could have had it's RoF and bloom changed. And the AR was superbuffed in bleedthrough at close range (it was an absurdly low amount of bullets before you were able to get a one-punch kill), but that element is gone now.

Oh yeah bleedthrough... Shame that had to go.

I hope 343 gives us customization levels that go as far as ROF, bloom, etc. Imagine the possibilities!

Ken

The only MM change they did as a result of the "poll" was get rid of Squad Slayer and give us another 4v4 Slayer playlist which made no sense whatsoever. Not forgetting to mention they really didn't go about informing the players what exactly they were voting for. I recall people in this thread stating friends as well as people they matched up with had no idea what the TU even did.

:I

DeadNames

Banned

Yes, but did they honestly ENJOY it? Did they actually have fun playing it?

While there was some fun scattered here and there, it was more frustrating than fun. And the only thing people played for customs was Speed Halo, which makes my blood boil.

Some helpful things to look up:
u-he (creators of multiple virtual synthesizers, Zebra2 in particular can host thousands of potential instruments)
Native Instruments and EastWest (Native Instruments specializes in a variety of software instruments, mostly cinematic/synth sound sets and pianos/organs; EastWest is more varied and has a lot more orchestral stuff like choirs)
sfz (Plugin that lets you use Soundfonts in-engine)
After you have sfz figured out, some good places for pretty free and basic Soundfonts include:
http://www.fox-gieg.com/rkhive/banks.html
http://freesoundvault.com/
http://www.hammersound.com/

Viena's SynthFont is a pretty good Soundfont player but you can either play Mixcraft's sound files in Synthfont or set up sfz so that you can use soundfonts in Mixcraft. SynthFont is freeware.

www.rampancy.net has a boatload of Halo-related MIDI files that can be played in Mixcraft.
Likewise, www.vgmusic.com is also pretty useful for videogame music in general.

The input lag/buffering is definitely because of the laptop, you can probably tweak settings in File > Preferences to get rid of it though. Tracks that actually render as audio files won't share these "pops." Overall it's definitely worth the $85 or $150 if you buy the whole thing.

Cheers man. Can't wait to sink my teeth into all this. I shall need a source of income before exploring some of those rabbit holes though :p Been also wanting a keytar for the longest time.

Why is the site bad?

LOL

Best joke I've heard from HaloGAF in a while.

Also im a chef any one need for a personal cook???

You will cook for WolfGAF.

Welcome.

Junior talk.

Welcome.

lawlz

Kids on GAF have weird stomachs, they act as if eating out occasionally will kill you. Every time a Taco Bell thread pops up, you would think anytime a GAFfer eats there they get poisoned, kinda weird.

I've eaten Taco Bell a few times in the last couple years and each time I felt like I was on the urge from being violently ill.

I think it's actually poison.

Pretty sure the Mercenaries playlist is getting announced tomorrow. Might get some XboxLive time if thats the case.

Haha don't you know that the MM team makes changes by looking at your suggestions and doing the opposite?

Yes, but did they honestly ENJOY it? Did they actually have fun playing it?

While there was some fun scattered here and there, it was more frustrating than fun. And the only thing people played for customs was Speed Halo, which makes my blood boil.
You are the bubble boy.

a zoojoo

Banned
GUYS. IM STILL ALIVE. someone give me a rundown. also hi to the new juniors. I hereby dub this wave of juniors the Juniors Wave of 2012.
Edit: 3/4 through this ot. this thread moves way to tucking fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom