• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is as halo continues to change more and more from its previous installments it becomes near impossible to recreate a H2 or CE. At some point I feel we just have to try and fully accept what 343 is trying to do with Halo and see what happens.

Granted I am very skeptical about many things in Halo 4 and I would really love to play a CE or H2 but it just isn't practical to try and recreate old games in new halos as the mechanics are completely different. (because they are meant to support the new halo not old ones)

Well 343 Title Updated Reach to change some of the core mechanics that allowed slight mimicry of Halo 1 features. Since Halo 4 is their baby, I wouldn't doubt if they fully fleshed out some of those changes in the Halo 4 engine allowing it to play more like past Halos

Potential Birthday Present

Anyone got experience with it?
Criticism? Be brutal

Have you used a 3D tv before? I'm getting my first tomorrow, so I can give initial impressions of what 3D gaming is like if you want :)

Risen

I think the game needs more give and take in order to truly balance the packages and AAs.

There should be a true reason you pick something with an advantage and a disadvantage.

For instance, if you have shielding, your base movement would be slower. This would allow you to get back into combat quicker, but you'd need to choose your engagements more wisely.

Another example would be mobility. If you have mobility equipped, you would start with less shield strength making you able to get around the map more quickly, but in more of a sneaky, rogue-like fashion to truly cater to that play style.

Tribes does this well, Shadowrun does this well with the different classes. A Troll in SR has more health than all other classes, but moves slower and is a much bigger target. An Elf in SR has the lowest health of all classes, but is the fastest and skinniest of all the classes.

If you're going to force players to make a choice with their AAs and Packages, it needs to be a conscious decision with a give and a take; an actual thought process being involved as to why you're picking certain abilities over others.

Take the Ninja Troll in Shadowrun. A typical Ninja Troll would have a Katana primary with a SMG secondary. Its slotted magic and tech would be Wired Reflexes, Teleport, and AMG's or Gust. A typical troll in SR was meant to be a Tank, one that could take a lot of damage and stay in a fight.

However, the Katana in the hands of a troll was only a 2 hit kill. So, players would SACRIFICE the ability to take lots of damage and use the trolls unique "harden" ability which cost mana to fill those slots with Wired Reflexes so it could have a faster base movement speed along with teleport which cost 3 mana slots with each use. Trolls also had the slowest mana regen of all 4 classes.

So, you sacrificed a LOT of what made the Troll class and Troll and in return, if you were sneaky enough, knew enough teleport lines, and made great flanking decisions, you had a class that was unique that you could play in a strong way, but at the cost of what would typically be the Trolls strengths.

Pretty much this... if we're talking "balance" the ability/class needs be self limiting in some way that runs counter to the primary ability. So you want to be a tank...? You're moving slow... you want to move fast...? Less health... Balance cannot be achieved by attempting to limit abilities/classes based solely on choice or preference.... particularly when there are numerous character traits and abilities over default.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
to ensure button combo glitches ala halo 2 dont happen again, all controller options need to be thoroughly tested

This was Bungie's reason too. Makes sense, and I'm totally fine with it. Recon seems to be pretty much the same, so that's nice. I can imagine myself forgetting to sprint though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I'm odd in that I use the default Reach button layout?

I could never get used to bumper jumper, or take the 15 games of me doing horrible to figure it out. :p

heckfu

Banned

I could never get used to bumper jumper, or take the 15 games of me doing horrible to figure it out. :p

Moving to bumper jumper was the smartest thing I've ever done. Feels way more natural to me after only 5 or so games.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This was Bungie's reason too. Makes sense, and I'm totally fine with it. Recon seems to be pretty much the same, so that's nice. I can imagine myself forgetting to sprint though.

default for me, like reach. loved bumper jumper in 3, but with AAs, it went out the window. and i agree with others, bumper jumper as its been presented so far in halo 4, is shit.

Nutduster

Neo Member

I'm a default guy also. I've used default in every Halo game.

Interesting that Frankie said that, about BXR-type glitches. I never read any official statement on that but I've assumed all along that that was why there's no button-mapping in Halo. Glitches can be a very big deal in competitive Halo and it's easy to imagine that the right obscure button-map layout could create new ones along those lines.

Overdoziz

Banned
goMrZ.png

sigh

op_ivy

really dig the look of boxer, but not having nades on LT would be odd and quite an adjustment. if only you could swap that for melee it would be perfect.

Pennybags

FishStick for the true aim-down-sights experience!

Not going to lie, I'll probably use it, as getting knocked out of zoom can be pretty damned annoying.

op_ivy

FishStick for the true aim-down-sights experience!

Not going to lie, I'll probably use it, as getting knocked out of zoom can be pretty damned annoying.

but you dont get knocked out of zoom in current builds...

Omni

That's probably gonna be ok. I can see myself pressing them at the same time to make some jumps.
But you'll also be stuck "sprinting" in a straight line because you'll be pressing the 'x' button...

To me it seems like a "what are you willing to sacrifice?" kind of thing with these controller layouts.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
But you'll also be stuck "sprinting" in a straight line because you'll be pressing the 'x' button...

To me it seems like a "what are you willing to sacrifice?" kind of thing with these controller layouts.

What? Do I have to hold sprint button or something?

daedalius

but you dont get knocked out of zoom in current builds...

Scope health is a thing. A thing Frank has confirmed. Still tweaking, might be in final might now; wouldn't doubt some sort of scope health will be in the shipping game.

As for bumper jumper, I need nade on LT. AA/Sprint on X, AA on A preferably; I won't use jetpack, and everything else is a toggle pretty much.

laughing-out-loud.gif

As for bumper jumper, I need nade on LT. AA/Sprint on X, AA on A preferably; I won't use jetpack, and everything else is a toggle pretty much.
Agreed. It would be nice if tapping jump twice activated jetpack as well. I am never ever, not once, ever, NEVER going to not jump before jetpacking anyway.
I assume so? (anyone correct me if I'm wrong)
Sprint is a toggle in Reach, no reason to assume otherwise for 4.

Something I'll comment on about the new Forge, I'm glad that the texturing on the Forge pieces are more simplified. The ornate texturing on Reach's just resulted in kind of a visual catastrophe especially when creating indoor settings with it.

Caja 117

if they don't fix bumper jumper than I just can't play this game..... FUUUUUU WTF guys granade on X WTFFFF how can you aim a nade a press X please for the love of everything let it not be final. I want to use X for sprint goddamn it, and.... finds magazine rack...x

Yeah, I hope they fix that, current bumper jumper players don't rely too much on AA's, , so Having AA activation in such important button as the LT is counterproductive.

Ugh. Can't we just get rid of bloom? Seriously, now I get to choose between a BR with random spread or a blooming DMR? Just get it out of Halo; I don't care if its even just a visual effect in the end, it's still annoying.

I will miss bouncing grenades around corners. That's the best thing about the Grenade Launcher.
Any bloom I experienced was coming from the automatic weapons and not the rifles. There's a visual representation of bloom on the DMR, but it seemed to just be giving you a visual cue on when to pull the trigger next.

As far as the Sticky Pistol goes, I think it will be a good replacement for the GL despite the fact that it didn't need one (stats be damned). I watched a guy stick someone with it, and it went off immediately. I asked him afterward if he did that on purpose or if it automatically goes off when attached to a Spartan, but he didn't remember. There's an audible beeping noise once you stick it somewhere, but I don't know if it's only for your benefit or if everyone can hear it. If they can, it pretty much takes a lot away from the weapon as a trap device.

Squidhands, Tunavi – I'm really looking forward to some in-depth impressions from you guys.
bsangel kept giving me drink coupons, so I might not remember everything. Anything specific you want to ask?

Someone should ask them if flag juggling is in. I just want a straight answer. Something so small can't possibly be a "We're not ready to talk about that" right?
There were no CTF matches, only Regicide FFA on Adrift and Infinity Slayer on Haven.

I disagree. I'd rather see it across all gametypes or disallowed and force players to change they way they play around it.

It gets ridiculous to a point, especially when trying to garner interest to new players, when you have tons of these tiny little tweaks that affect how a game is played.

For instance, when switching from Super Slayer to MLG, it takes me a few games before my aim and strafe is adjusted to the different movement speeds and jump heights. It makes it harder for newer players to keep playing different gametypes when they can't realize why it "feels" different.
Best new junior? Best new junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom