• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

heckfu

Banned
I don't understand peoples fascination with Halo 2.

Let me see if this will clear it up for you:

PCc9B.jpg

Nutduster

Neo Member
Energy Sword:
anyone who is a fan of the ridiculous sword of Reach, you wont be happy, but anyone with any type of sense will love the new sword. The clang of a melee and sword swing is out, the sword is nerffed and you have to be like a solid meter in front of someone, instead of 20 meters away. It takes a larger amount of time for the sword to be drawn and swung than it has before, witch is good.

I am fine with nerfing the range (especially since everyone will have sprint and some people will also have thrusters - ye gods). But I hope the warm-up period before you can swing isn't any longer than in Reach. It already drives me crazy how when you switch to the sword it takes so long before you can actually use it. It might be better from a balance standpoint, but if they make that pause any lengthier I'll end up breaking my TV with my controller.

Nutduster

Neo Member
I don't understand peoples fascination with Halo 2.

My feeling is that it comes from two things:

1. Lots of guys now playing Halo were first exposed to it by Halo 2, due a combination of their age (too young for CE) and 2's popularity.

2. The maps in H2 were great. Maybe the most consistent crop of maps in any Halo game.

Ramirez

I take that sword description with a grain of salt, you know once you get off LAN and on XBL, the lunge distance for some people will increase greatly.

The OP of that thread reminds that there are probably dozens of NeoGAF members who lurk but never post. They're watching...

ಠ_ಠ

Why does the audio keep getting squashed in every video? :/

It's quite a shame. From what I've heard of this game so far, the audio seems fantastic. I'm really excited about it. My favorite change is to the Carbine, which always sounded wimpy before. They gave it a lot more punch.

IHaveIce

Banned
What the fuck I get parted from my group in matchmaking somehow without pressing something.

GGs guys but my internet is somehow fucking up.

Thanks Crow for inviting.

Ramirez

I bought The Walking Dead on XBLA the other day, boot it up last night only to find out you can't invert the cursor controls, WTF!?

GhaleonEB

Even including Halo 2/3 you only have 700 total? That seems extremely low considering all of the picture posts you used to make in the H3 OT. :p
I was only posting Reach stats, that's what I thought everyone was doing. Must have misunderstood. I'll post a larger comparison later.

We thought he was pulling out the highlights. Little did we know he was documenting every game.

;)
I don't understand what this means, but it's apparently hilarious. :(

Well I'm up in the Pacific Northwest now, so our pings should be fairly good. I'd hope.

Okay. Just get on some time that I'm on. We're the same time zones now, no more excuses!

I'm on most evenings around 8-9 and periodically during the day for the next month (until my sabbatical is over).

FyreWulff

People still like Halo 2's ELO system that would punish you for winning?

That turd of a ranking system will (rightly) never return.

GhaleonEB said:
Okay. Just get on some time that I'm on. We're the same time zones now, no more excuses!

I'm on most evenings around 8-9 and periodically during the day for the next month (until my sabbatical is over).

Yeah I'm up here on a vacation. In a couple of months, I'll return to the US so my next employer can actually bring me on full-time. Then I'm up in Canada until at least next spring. I'm hoping for the return after the work visa is acquired to road trip it up via car and meet people along the way instead of just flying.

Flying: Fast as Hell, Boring as Hell

Risen

If someone drops out of that MLG party, invite me.

There's an MLG party? Come play dubs nerdus.

People still like Halo 2's ELO system that would punish you for winning?

That turd of a ranking system will (rightly) never return.

Funny because it worked better than H3's hybrid trueskill that could be exploited lol... particularly for a numbered representation of team skill. Coupled with solid match making, it worked well IMO.

Tunavi

Banned
Any other impression you want to share.

I just want to know EVERYTHING.

And i think the ultimate question is

Better than Halo 2?
Better than Halo 3?
Better than Reach?
way too soon to be compare it to other games

way better than reach

the only concern I have left is the netcode.

Alright, another member with a Pokemon avatar! Our numbers have increased two-fold today. I don't count the kid who ranted about dual-wielding spikers or whatever.

Tawpgun

Yep, that's me :)
US has been great so far! Lots of nice people, beautiful landscapes and I really liked Boston. Seemed like a great city to live in. Right now, I'm in Acadia where we're gonna visit the national park tomorow. Really looking forward to that too!

MAH NIGGA

Is your youtube account name GTLx16?

You did not meet up with Tawpgun or vhfive? Dude... sigh.

Both me and vhneverpostsherefive live in Connecticut. I go to school in Boston, he has a brother in the city I think.

GhaleonEB

Your little screenshot stories. Rather than us getting the occasional gem out of many games a night, you were literally posting about the only match you'd played that night.
Or at least that's the joke.

Ah. Okay, that's funny. For comparison:

Halo 3 Multiplayer: 2,310

Reach Multiplayer: 834 (according to the Career Overview; it's 784 on my Service Record. Go figure.)

Better, Wu? :p

FyreWulff

It never punished you for winning, FYI. It only punished you for losing.

I got deranked in Halo 2 BTB because we were only offered low level players (the rest of the party was brought upwards) in a massive win streak. ELO's very design is to punish you for winning against lower level players, no matter what game you're playing. One of the famous chess masters got his ELO lowered from beating someone lower than him.

Imagine going for a 50 in Halo 3 and being unable to do it because you don't have enough 50s in the pool to continually match against, and you get deranked because the matchmaking pool server decided to give you just enough of a low ranked team.

Trueskill doesn't have this problem, you'll never lose rank for beating low level players. You just don't get much "credit" for doing so.

ELO did have the benefit of being able to map the ELO value to EXP bars so people got an RPG-esque experience for ranks, but when you have gigaflops of servers available, it's silly to use a ranking system that was intended to be calculable on pen and paper quickly.

tl;dr fuck ELO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom