• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the best games I've played in a long time.

Best match that I have been part of in a while, that's for sure.

The last one was probably that close BTB game on Headlong a while back.

Cheating! Thats how!

Or by two of you spawning right in front of our flag carrier at the end.

But it was some good games. I actually played ok in MLG for once. And by ok I mean i went positive.

You played pretty good.

Oh I do. It was me! haha :) I've got beast call outs too. You should have heard. They've got sniper in sword base!

It's always the quite ones! :p

Akai__

All those impressions of Halo 4 are so amazing. I can't wait to play it. *goes into cryo sleep until November 6th*

Wakes up on November 6th, 2013 :p

I want to meet the person who designed this

xXAFm.jpg

robocop-thumb-550x370-20760-470x316.jpg

Justice.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Frankie/Ellis can you guys confirm/deny the presence of the ODST helmet? Surely that's not top secret. Right? Please tell us it's in.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I got deranked in Halo 2 BTB because we were only offered low level players (the rest of the party was brought upwards) in a massive win streak. ELO's very design is to punish you for winning against lower level players, no matter what game you're playing. One of the famous chess masters got his ELO lowered from beating someone lower than him.

Imagine going for a 50 in Halo 3 and being unable to do it because you don't have enough 50s in the pool to continually match against, and you get deranked because the matchmaking pool server decided to give you just enough of a low ranked team.

Trueskill doesn't have this problem, you'll never lose rank for beating low level players. You just don't get much "credit" for doing so.

ELO did have the benefit of being able to map the ELO value to EXP bars so people got an RPG-esque experience for ranks, but when you have gigaflops of servers available, it's silly to use a ranking system that was intended to be calculable on pen and paper quickly.

Your eyes confuse you or you deranked from a previous game and your rank did not update right away (at the time, you could see on bungie.net what your skill progression was before and after the win)

I have played over 4500 ranked halo 2 games and have never deranked due to a win. Ever.basically due to the rank mins and maximums, you couldn't achieve a negative result due to a win. That's why if you played against a level 10 when you were a level 20, the system recognized them as like rank 15 due to the mismatch

You win against a low ranked opponent, you gain a tiny amount... You win against an equally ranked opponent, you gain some... You win against a higher ranked opponent, you gain a lot.

SLUUUUUUUURRRRRRRPPPP!

Thanks for posting, sounds great.

mastrbiggy
Banned
(Today, 05:22 PM)

Seriously though, I thought biggy was good people. I guess I was wrong.

CE > H2, scrubs.

Well obviously.

I always just kind of assume that when people are ranking Halo multiplayer games they leave out H:CE because it's so much better than the others, and I'll admit hard to compare because it was not made for online play like the rest were.

SLUUUUUUUURRRRRRRPPPP!

Thanks for posting, sounds great.

Seriously though, I thought biggy was good people. I guess I was wrong.

Well obviously.

I always just kind of assume that when people are ranking Halo multiplayer games they leave out H:CE because it's so much better than the others, and I'l admit hard to compare because it was not made for online play like the rest were.

I'm only a person, but in all honesty, I do like Halo 2.

ODST
Security
Pilot
Mark 4
Mark 5

^ give me those and you can do whatever you want with the rest.

Edit

Noble Team helmets and SPI would be nice aswell

FyreWulff

Your eyes confuse you or you deranked from a previous game and your rank did not update right away (at the time, you could see on bungie.net what your skill progression was before and after the win)

I have played over 4500 ranked halo 2 games and have never deranked due to a win. Ever.basically due to the rank mins and maximums, you couldn't achieve a negative result due to a win. That's why if you played against a level 10 when you were a level 20, the system recognized them as like rank 15 due to the mismatch

You win against a low ranked opponent, you gain a tiny amount... You win against an equally ranked opponent, you gain some... You win against a higher ranked opponent, you gain a lot.

ELO's punishing you for beating lower level players is inherent to it's system. Doesn't matter if it's Halo, chess, baseball, or Rock-Paper-Scissors. If you are an exceptional player, you will be punished for continually playing. It also has the island problem.

It's never coming back. Partly because there's much better systems out there (Trueskill is only one of them), and partly because the island problem makes it terrible for matchmaking search times edit: hence why they had to reset Halo 2's ranks.

I'm not really into repeating myself too much so I'll just give you this link to give you an idea of my opinion of Halo 2's ranks.

I have played over 4500 ranked halo 2 games and have never deranked due to a win. Ever.
Yeah...H2 was notorious for being slow about updating game progress toward rank at times.

If you think that you are truly ready, Aggrotek, then you may use this transparent avatar. Remember, use this avatar only if you think you can handle it. Not just anyone can wield this kind of power.

OCOnd.png

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
ELO's punishing you for beating lower level players is inherent to it's system. Doesn't matter if it's Halo, baseball, or Rock-Paper-Scissors. If you are an exceptional player, you will be punished for continually playing. It also has the island problem.

It's never coming back. Partly because there's much better systems out there (Trueskill is only one of them), and partly because the island problem makes it terrible for matchmaking search times.

yeah, i guess my first suggestion was correct.

Halo 2 ELO didn't punish for winning because of the min/maxes

and island problem? Once again, it pushed ranked players up and down to fit into the game. You could play a level 30 against a level 50, but statistically it was like facing a level 43. Halo 2 had the quickest search times out of the entire series. In Reach/Halo 3, a lot of times I could go make a sandwich and it would be still in its completely anal loop of finding players. Even when Halo 2 was about to be killed off... I jumped online with only like 2,000 players in games... I still found a match in less than 20 seconds (Ranked Team Snipers)

and TrueSkill is utter fucking shit. (fyi, again).

I'm starting to doubt you even played Halo 2, to be honest.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I want to meet the person who designed this

xXAFm.jpg
To give them a high five? Me too.

I haven't been able to keep up with the thread today. Have people been flipping their shit over the new Hazop helmet again? I hope so, cause shit deserves to be flipped over that monstrosity.

Karl2177

yeah, i guess my first suggestion was correct.

Halo 2 ELO didn't punish for winning because of the min/maxes

and island problem? Once again, it pushed ranked players up and down to fit into the game. You could play a level 30 against a level 50, but statistically it was like facing a level 43. Halo 2 had the quickest search times out of the entire series. In Reach/Halo 3, a lot of times I could go make a sandwich and it would be still in its completely anal loop of finding players. Even when Halo 2 was about to be killed off... I jumped online with only like 2,000 players in games... I still found a match in less than 20 seconds (Ranked Team Snipers)

and TrueSkill is utter fucking shit. (fyi, again).

I'm starting to doubt you even played Halo 2, to be honest.
Fyre is correct about the math of Halo 2's ELO system. You could lose a rank if you were leagues higher and won, but it's only with continual wins against low levels and no play against mid to upper tier levels. It was incredibly rare, but there are cases and the math verifies it. Do I think it should return? Not as a primary ranking system. Is TrueSkill better? In some regards yes, but some regards no. If you're using the skill system as a matching system with tighter restrictions(a la Halo 3/Reach), then your wait times are much larger.

I've always been in the boat of a customized ranking based on player performance. Play well consistently, get matches with and against very similar players. This comes down to assist/headshot/etc. that TrueSkill doesn't calculate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom