• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gui_PT

I think you were taking the original statement seriously, while I wasn't.

Of course it's canon. I just think it's a terrible addition.

Shame that Nylund didn't continue writing them, I enjoyed Ghost of Onyx a lot.

They want them to look holographic but they just look cheap =\

L1NETT

The cover might be Halo 4 concept art. Wasn't Primordium's cover?

Solid theory. Would be a pretty neat way to tie the two together; they've certainly implied a strong connection between FUD and the game.

Interesting stuff. If he isn't an ODST or a Spartan, an officer on the Infinity would make most sense. Briefs you for SPOPS?

Akai__

3 vs 4:

rIoMS.jpg

Almost got a cap in the last second. So close!

Trey

I guess I and all the other people who enjoyed it just have terrible taste.

Shame on me.

No, no shame on you. It's your opinion, and it's not wrong, per se. I consider Glasslands a waste because a major plotline was not used to deepen the character or provide world context or to even provide a message for the reader. Traviss took the most developed character in the fiction and used her and the surrounding characters as a vessel to preach her own views. And she also had the nerve to summon up contrived characters and circumstances to validate the character assassination that took place.

We all know Halsey did some shiesty shit, and that her most recent actions were to atone for those crimes. But instead of providing more information on her (and the S2 program's) past in order to shed some light on her demons, Traviss tackles the issue with clumsy hyperbole (comparing Halsey to 20th century dictators) and completely ignores the moral crisis Nylund wrote her into.

As a result, the most busy and plot driving character -- aside from the AI modeled off her brain -- did fuck all for an entire book. She just took shallow hits the entire time that provided NO NEW INFORMATION for the reader to digest.

Silentium sounds like something I'd learn at a knockoff Hogwarts school.

also, Hogwarts is an anagram for Warthogs. Just blew my own mind a little bit.

Crucio

Interesting title : Silentium!
So the "Ur-Didact". This is the first time I hear someone refer to
Bornstellar
that way. Anyone else hear that before?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
There's absolutely no way those medal are final. Unless they hired a team of pre-schoolers and armed them with crayons, in which case, maybe.

Only the Ur-Didact and the Librarian—a husband and wife pushed into desperate conflict—hold the keys to salvation. Facing the consequences of a mythic tragedy, one of them must now commit the greatest atrocity of all time—to prevent an unmatched evil from dominating the entire universe.
It confirms the theory that
there are two Didacts.
[Primordium Spoiler/Cryptum Spoiler]

Silentium sounds like something I'd learn at a knockoff Hogwarts school.

also, Hogwarts is an anagram for Warthogs. Just blew my own mind a little bit.
Shit. Seriously. No. It is. Damn.

daedalius

Not even going to bother arguing. It's not going to change anything; I simply disliked the fact that the characters seemed to be completely oblivious as to what they did with the SIII project but were just dandy in comparing Halsey to Stalin for the SIIs.

But they weren't, so you're wrong.

And I believe she was compared to Mengele, and it was an ODST who read the file of what she had done over the years, this wasn't just about SIIs and SIIIs; it was probably an apt comparison. She is the definition of a mad scientist, doing crazy things just to see if she could, which she basically admits over the course of the book.

No, no shame on you. It's your opinion, and it's not wrong, per se. I consider Glasslands a waste because a major plotline was not used to deepen the character or provide world context or to even provide a message for the reader. Traviss took the most developed character in the fiction and used her and the surrounding characters as a vessel to preach her own views. And she also had the nerve to summon up contrived characters and circumstances to validate the character assassination that took place.

We all know Halsey did some shiesty shit, and that her most recent actions were to atone for those crimes. But instead of providing more information on her (and the S2 program's) past in order to shed some light on her demons, Traviss tackles the issue with clumsy hyperbole (comparing Halsey to 20th century dictators) and completely ignores the moral crisis Nylund wrote her into.

As a result, the most busy and plot driving character -- aside from the AI modeled off her brain -- did fuck all for an entire book. She just took shallow hits the entire time that provided NO NEW INFORMATION for the reader to digest.

I don't understand this 'preach her own views', what exactly were you expecting from the characters who viewed her past actions to think? She is a monster, she was a monster before this; her madness just happened to play out in humanity's favor.

As for doing fuck-all, what exactly were you expecting; she started out
stuck in a sphere full of forerunner tech, we got a bunch of character interaction with her, Mendez, and the other Spartans; interaction we normally wouldn't get as they aren't trying to escape immanent death or fighting for their lives, and yet you sum this interaction up as 'character assassination'. Give me a fucking break. She got out, got taken into custody for war crimes; in case you forgot she knocked out a Spartan and stole a ship in the face of a Covenant attack just to spare her conscience and 'save' her children.

But this is no new information! No new character development! I feel the same about all these characters as I did at the end of Onyx! Amazing!

Vire

I hope Halo 4 is understandable to people who aren't familiar with these outside projects. (Forward Unto Dawn/The Greg Bear Books). My brother's only knowledge of the Halo universe comes from the games, so I hope that H4 doesn't get drowned and lost in the details of the books...

I guess it's a difficult balance.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Halo 4 is understandable to people who are familiar with these outside projects. (Forward Unto Dawn/The Greg Bear Books). My brother's only knowledge of the Halo universe comes from the games, so I hope that H4 doesn't get drowned and lost in the details of the books...

I guess it's a difficult balance.
Frankie has stated in multiple interviews that the game's story would be accessible while also being deep in fiction. So no worries.

Vire

Frankie has stated in multiple interviews that the game's story would be accessible while also being deep in fiction. So no worries.

Excellent. Maybe they can tackle the deeper minutiae of details through terminals without beating you over the head in cutscenes.

Or, get regular Halo fans up to speed on what's going on quickly.

That's good to hear though.

Omni

But they weren't, so you're wrong.

And I believe she was compared to Mengele, and it was an ODST who read the file of what she had done over the years, this wasn't just about SIIs and SIIIs; it was probably an apt comparison. She is the definition of a mad scientist, doing crazy things just to see if she could, which she basically admits over the course of the book.

She was compared to Mengele and Stalin. Eh, I haven't read the book in ages... So even if I wanted to, I can't give you a better argument than I already have. Still, nothing you can say will change my mind about the book; It's bad, and many others agree.

Anyway. I think I'm going to have to read through Primordium again. I've only read it once and found that some scenes were really hard to visualise.

Trey

She was compared to Mengele and Stalin. Eh, I haven't read the book in ages... So even if I wanted to, I can't give you a better argument than I already have. Still, nothing you can say will change my mind about the book; It's bad, and many others agree.

Anyway. I think I'm going to have to read through Primordium again. I've only read it once, and some scenes were really hard to visualise.

Good luck with the second round.

IHaveIce

Banned
Wow the description sounds nice. the flood with unexpected help hmm. Really digging the cover art.

when I'm home I like to jump in the Glasslands discussion

I think you were taking the original statement seriously, while I wasn't.

Of course it's canon. I just think it's a terrible addition.

Shame that Nylund didn't continue writing them, I enjoyed Ghost of Onyx a lot.

Fair enough, but it was a little hard to tell from your original post. I sorry.

Posting image again for awesomeness.

image.axd

Aw hell yeah. Halo: Silentium. The final novel.

Ive been wondering when that cover art will unveil. Sooner than expected but exciting at most. Forerunner series are interesting to piece together thanks to Greg Bear =]

Thanks HaloGAF for these new Intel!

I wanna add my 2 cents to the Glasslands discussion. I am not going to make a wall, but here is what I did not like.

-I reread all the Nylund books right before Glasslands, so I was used to the way he handled the story. Traviss did not do a very good job following in his style. The military jargon and use of hierarchy was just, non existant. She didn't need to mimic Nylund, but it felt as if she made no attempt to give us a sense of true continuity.

-It wasn't necessarily a problem that Halsey is demonized in the book, it's the fact that she is at every opportunity. A character talks about Halsey, they're going to slip in a few words about how terrible she is. Halsey talking to herself, she will think about how evil she is. I understand bringing to light a characters wrong doing, but you hit me across the face with at every opportunity and I start getting tired of hearing it.

I saw this pic CyReN posted:

Is that...a destroyed Requiem? Or is it just a general, cool-looking background?
Some fans believe Halsey could be on that halo ring.

or activated the ring on Requiem's surface causing the damage.

What I see is the damage appears to originated from the inside.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I hope Halo 4 ends with Chief heading towards a Halo ring with the original Halo theme playing.

So many nerd chills.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I spy a Halo ring in that picture! (Top right side of the screen)

Where? You must have better eyes than me, I can't quite make it out.

I hope Halo 4 ends with Chief heading towards a Halo ring with the original Halo theme playing.

No way man, I'd rather the franchise move in another direction than focusing on the "Halos" that isn't to say we can't visit them from time to time.

Vire

So many nerd chills.

I just hope they come up with a better way to end the game rather than the typical Warthog chase, trying to escape.

It was cool the first two times... let it be.

And by better I don't mean a Tartarus-like boss fight.

It's a difficult thing to end a FPS's campaign... even Valve struggled with it in the Half Life series.

789shadow

Banned
I just hope they come up with a better way to end the game rather than the typical Warthog chase, trying to escape.

It was cool the first two times... let it be.

And by better I don't mean a Tartarus-like boss fight.

It's a difficult thing to end a FPS's campaign... even Valve struggled with it in the Half Life series.
Should do an Elephant escape this time. :p

Louis Wu

Have you guys seen HaloUnity being advertised? It looks to be a hub trying to unite different Halo fan factions (Bnet, TTL, THC) but on two separate announcements I've seen there's no mention of HaloGaf lololololol
The communities represented are the communities whose fans have REPRESENTED THEM.

Nobody from HaloGAF has stepped forward. I guess you're all just a bunch of insular jerks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom