• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It it didn't kill me when I stood in the field it only drained my shields. No idea if it drains AA. Technically its not meant to be usable so ill try my best to get it again a see what happens to the AA meter.

QUOTE=Louis Wu;39867913]
dammit.png

You planned this, didn't you?[/QUOTE]No comment, but now I should be making three fitty.

Woorloog

Banned
It it didn't kill me when I stood in the field it only drained my shields. No idea if it drains AA. Technically its not meant to be usable so ill try my best to get it again a see what happens to the AA meter.

What kind of effect it has? Red? I mean the plasma is blue so it probably won't be the same...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

QUOTE=Louis Wu;39867913]
dammit.png

You planned this, didn't you?
No comment, but now I should be making three fitty.[/QUOTE]

Lsldkfjdjoworifjdjwkekfjskwleifusj

Akai__

Wait, hold up, Biggy, are you guys playing a new build or something?

I remember screenshots from E3 gameplay in which Promethean Knights dropped this nade, but it only randomly appeared and no one filmed it while using it. So, I think it's the same build, but no one saw it in action of us.

Vire

Melad Darbandi ‏@DominoTheory_
@Lazzerr @thehalocouncil @mastrbiggy PV has longer recharge time and shorter usage time. Carbine nerf specifics unknown.

Risen

Over shield

How many people actually dislike aim acceleration on its own merits? Seems like an echo chamber of negativity rather than actual constructive criticism of the mechanic. I would expect the opposition to mainly come from seasoned PC shooter players.

I definitely dislike it "on it's own merits". People that are wired to have excellent hand eye coordination do not like things that interrupt their movements artificially. A good analogy would be in golf with game improvement irons. Pro's don't want them. They typically will play with some sort of club with a much smaller sweet spot and very little offset because they want the ability to shape their shots and have much greater feed back with all focus being on their own swing mechanics.

Much like game improvement irons change the way a ball reacts relative to specific input/swing, the aim acceleration mechanic changes how my reticle reacts on screen relative to the input I provide on the controller. What complicates this is that it's an acceleration/deceleration, so the amount of assistance the game provides is not a 1:1 ratio for input:movement. (at least that's what it feels like to me)

So rather than me moving my stick x and my reticle moving an exact corresponding amount on screen, I have to either create over-travel or under-travel to get the result I want. In a dynamic environment where I am tracking an object that moves, it feels off to me.

The difference here is that I do not want or need to "smooth out" my aim. I want my aim to be exactly as I create it with my thumbs. There are people who won't notice it, and absolutely need it in order to have fun playing a shooter. But there are people that absolutely do not want it because they can feel it. They can feel when it starts, and when it levels out, and that creates an aiming mechanic that is not crisp.

I definitely dislike it "on it's own merits". People that are wired to have excellent hand eye coordination do not like things that interrupt their movements artificially. A good analogy would be in golf with game improvement irons. Pro's don't want them. They typically will play with some sort of club with a much smaller sweet spot and very little offset because they want the ability to shape their shots and have much greater feed back with all focus being on their own swing mechanics.

Much like game improvement irons change the way a ball reacts relative to specific input/swing, the aim acceleration mechanic changes how my reticle reacts on screen relative to the input I provide on the controller. What complicates this is that it's an acceleration/deceleration, so the amount of assistance the game provides is not a 1:1 ratio for input:movement. (at least that's what it feels like to me)

So rather than me moving my stick x and my reticle moving an exact corresponding amount on screen, I have to either create over-travel or under-travel to get the result I want. In a dynamic environment where I am tracking an object that moves, it feels off to me.

The difference here is that I do not want or need to "smooth out" my aim. I want my aim to be exactly as I create it with my thumbs. There are people who won't notice it, and absolutely need it in order to have fun playing a shooter. But there are people that absolutely do not want it because they can feel it. They can feel when it starts, and when it levels out, and that creates an aiming mechanic that is not crisp.

Not to mention that the implementation of acceleration and smoothing often results in very odd perceived input lag due to the slow acceleration times, especially in Halo 3.

u4iX

There should be an option in Halo 4 in the control settings that asks "do you care about your ability to aim?"

If you pick yes, aim acceleration is turned off.

If you pick no, aim acceleration is turned on.

Vire

Hopefully you can't spawn with Promethean Grenades in a loadout in multiplayer.

Can you imagine it against vehicles?

Power Drainer in Halo 3 was one thing, but this is much much more plentiful.

There should be an option in Halo 4 in the control settings that asks "do you care about your ability to aim?"

If you pick yes, aim acceleration is turned off.

If you pick no, aim acceleration is turned on, and so is auto look-centering

fixed because that is what those people deserve.

Striker

Power drainer had direct spawns and were pretty plentiful in Valhalla. Often felt like many players per team had one. So if these are properly set in timed spawns :)45 secs.?) and there's only one per pickup, it might not be too bad.

Besides, can you imagine spawning with a plasma pistol and plasma grenades in vehicle oriented maps? It can happen unless they designate changes for loadouts in BTB.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
How can anyone play with auto look centering? @_@

those people cant play without it. within 1 second they are running around in circles staring at the ground helpless.

is there a 4th grenade type?

Power Drainer in Halo 3 was one thing, but this is much much more plentiful.
4x Pro. Nades? OP.

Should start out with one for each spawn and spawn time needs to me limited, if not nerfed overall.

Edit: Pretty much what Striker said.

Vire

Power drainer had direct spawns and were pretty plentiful in Valhalla. Often felt like many players per team had one. So if these are properly set in timed spawns :)45 secs.?) and there's only one per pickup, it might not be too bad.

Besides, can you imagine spawning with a plasma pistol and plasma grenades in vehicle oriented maps? It can happen unless they designate changes for loadouts in BTB.

I have a feeling vehicles will be a total joke in this game.

If an entire team spawns in with plasma pistols or stickies/promethean grenades...

Goodbye vehicle gameplay!

u4iX

I think if you spawn with EMP grenades, you should only spawn with one, pending their power. We haven't actually seen them yet.

If the other team can have Auto-Sentries, I want to be able to spawn with a defense against them, not have to wait for a EMP nade to spawn.

I think if you spawn with EMP grenades, you should only spawn with one, pending their power. We haven't actually seen them yet.

If the other team can have Auto-Sentries, I want to be able to spawn with a defense against them, not have to wait for a EMP nade to spawn.
Good point with the auto-sentries and spawn with a counter without waiting for nades to spawn. Unless PP are the main solution for this.

Tawpgun

I just hope loadouts are heavily restricted in BTB.

Because everyone knows how fun its going to be when you can spawn with a cross mappin DMR, Plasma Pistol Secondary, and EMP nades.

wouldn't surprise me.

Halo anyone? I feel like zoning out and pooping on blind people in Objective for a while. jelyk

Rgr

u4iX

Good point with the auto-sentries and spawn with a counter without waiting for nades to spawn. Unless PP are the main solution for this.

After a fully charged PP shot didn't take people out of armor lock, I kinda gave up on convincing people that gun should serve more utility.

I think these EMP nades will serve more utility, and maybe they'll take some of the function out of the PP. I wouldn't be surprised if the PP doesn't shut down vehicles anymore.

If they're worried about canon, the UNSC and Covenant have developed anti-plasma shielding for their vehicles. Some BS like that...

Vire

After a fully charged PP shot didn't take people out of armor lock, I kinda gave up on convincing people that gun should serve more utility.

I think these EMP nades will serve more utility, and maybe they'll take some of the function out of the PP. I wouldn't be surprised if the PP doesn't shut down vehicles anymore.

If they're worried about canon, the UNSC and Covenant have developed anti-plasma shielding for their vehicles. Some BS like that...

You still can

I'm hoping 343 just makes sure they restrict loadouts for these exploitable scenarios that we are coming up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom