• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/224182640641716224
iKv5D7cV8HqDS.jpg

Omlet making HaloGAF Proud. Team 2 for life!

kylej

Banned
Still not entirely sure how the solution to the "people don't use pro-pipe enough" problem is to make a grenade launcher that is less versatile than its predecessor.

I'd also argue the aggregate statistics of pro-pipe usage in Reach don't account for its relative availability and the accessibility of its spawn locations on standard matchmaking maps, but whatever.

Regard que la nation demande! Viva la revolution! 343 hoodie pour Hypertrooper!
I'm still trying to decipher the symbolism of the Starbucks stuff in the foreground. Outrageous attack on corporations? A veiled reference to knowing where 343 lives (sort of close to Seattle)? Breakfast of champions?

CyReN

What's the point of aim acceleration anyway?

I'm not exactly sure the reasoning they've added it to begin with.

For those wondering what it is:
The aiming system in Halo Reach, just as in Halo 3 features Aim Acceleration which basically adds a noticeable amount of artificial positive and negative acceleration to your aiming, which in turn 'smooths out' your aiming. In other words, the amount of time it takes for your aim to speed up or slow down to a stop relative to your thumb movement is expanded over time.

This creates the sensation of sluggish aiming; the feeling as if you are skating on ice or under water. I am exaggerating with these examples, but those feelings do resemble what is present in both Halo Reach's and Halo 3's aiming system.

For those of you who would like a visual representation, here are some graphics to illustrate what I am referring to:

Smoothing vs no smoothing: http://i.imgur.com/gYwvb.png

Smoothing: http://i.imgur.com/n9fzA.png

No smoothing: http://i.imgur.com/jilGU.png

Looking at those graphs, it may not look too bad because it is simply showing moving your joystick right to the edge and back. But imagine doing heaps of small adjustments (like you need to to keep your reticule on a moving target), and you can see the effect builds up.

Bungie's old games, Halo 1 and Halo 2, did not feature this interpolated acceleration to such a noticeable degree. Shadowrun and Call of Duty are the same way. Because of this, the aiming felt much more responsive in those games compared to Halo Reach and Halo 3.

Why would Bungie add this? It seems like it would only be a bad thing?

It makes aiming much more manageable for people who are new to video games. For those who are playing a FPS for the first time, aim acceleration/smoothing allows their aim to be smooth even though their actual input (thumb movements) are not so much.

The negative side effect is that for those who are more gamer-oriented and comfortable on a controller, it feels very awkward. It doesn't allow us to twitch our aim as we can in Halo 1, Halo 2, Shadowrun, and COD, and it feels very sluggish. Killzone 2 suffered from the same sensation, except to a much more extreme degree. Because it smooths out your thumb movements, it restricts you from flicking your aim on to an opponent, or from making tiny adjustments to where you are aiming because it gets smoothed out, and sometimes doesn't move at all depending on how small the joystick movement was.

Now, on to my proposition:

I understand why this level of aim smoothing is helpful to those who are new to gaming, so in order to make both those who are comfortable with a controller and those who are new to a controller comfortable, giving us the ability to disable aim acceleration/smoothing or adjust the amount with a slider, would satisfy everyone. PC games offer this option, as well as Unreal Tournament 3 when it came out on Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.

How awesome would it be if 343 implemented a controller setting under advanced options that is something along the lines of:

Controller settings Advanced Options

Aim Smoothing: Enabled / Disabled

or instead of just ON/OFF option, have the 1-10 option like with Sensitivity

It would not be difficult for 343 to implement this if we show them we would like it in Halo 4.

Some of you who play other games know exactly where I am coming from. Others may not. If you have not experienced what I am referring to, try playing Halo 1, Halo 2, Shadowrun, or Call of Duty MW1/MW2, followed by Halo 3 or Halo Reach. After doing so, you will probably be able to relate to this thread. If you still do not feel it, remember: I am not proposing to eliminate anything. Just the ability to change it depending on your preference.

Morning GAF.

Looking forward to the 343 vs Gaf game, smashing f5 ;-)

Also, that Battlefield 4 beta in MOH means I might get it. But I don't want to! Help!

EDIT: It appears the Frostbit engine and BF4 beta access only comes with the Digital Deluxe version. Pass.

Did I miss anything big in about...8 hours?
They said that with MOD for BF3, and they got the beta like 24 hours early. EA just trying to get people to buy their game.
The Sticky Detonator is only more useful for a very passive playstyle it seems. Yes, you can stick a grenade to the ground and wait for someone to run over it or stick it to a vehicle and wait from someone to get it, but that doesn't exactly promote fast gameplay. You couldn't really use the Grenade Launcher like that and that's a good thing because it keeps people moving and makes them play more aggressively with it.

I honestly still don't understand what was wrong with the Grenade Launcher that made 343 change it. It's one of the most perfect weapons I've seen in Halo.
Yeah that's my thoughts/issues with it as well. It's a much more defensive weapon than the Grenade Launcher.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
I'm not exactly sure the reasoning they've added.

Slow turn on Microsoft controllers is normally to blame... but with the way aiming has evolved some people still need that assistance when making small adjustments.

I'm still all for it being taken out of every game but you play whats made available if the complaints don't get through.

Make is easier to for the kiddies using console controllers. (There is no point)

Beaten :(

What's the point of aim acceleration anyway?

Just guessing, but it may exist so you can be more precise with your aim, i.e. small movements move the reticule slower whereas bigger ones accelerate for more agile maneuverability.

Edit: beaten

Edit 2: I don't think its a horrible thing, as long as it means less aim assist.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Which interview? I only read/watched stuff where 343i said that Spartan Ops played 6 months later after the Campaign.

Like I said, it's in one of them. I don't know which one exactly, and it's definitely in one of the Halo threads.

Actually lots of things have changed in the last two years. We love Turtle Beach, Astros and others, and use a big mix in the studio, but these are based on Trtton's brand new tech and build design and are straight beast mode.

I want to believe.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't see why not just implement aim acceleration just like in COD. It is damn good... and Reach-like aim acceleration clearly doesn't really matter for people... COD has far more casual console gamers than Halo...

CyReN

From Domino and Mastrbiggy.
  • OS invincibility is gone in newest build, Carbine a tad nerfed, and Pistol has unknown changes.
  • Thruster also goes to 3rd person view as their way of balancing it in the newest build.
  • Promethean vision nerfed

Trey

What is OS?

Over shield

How many people actually dislike aim acceleration on its own merits? Seems like an echo chamber of negativity rather than actual constructive criticism of the mechanic. I would expect the opposition to mainly come from seasoned PC shooter players.

daedalius

Ok. But, was Comic-Con build the same as E3 build?

Apparently it is the same build, I guess the changes were just mentioned by the devs.

I don't blame them, I'm sure putting out a build for public consumption is quite a lot of work, especially during this winding down phase.

Also where is the 2nd part of the fiction panel dangit!

Woorloog

Banned
Over shield

How many people actually dislike aim acceleration on its own merits? Seems like an echo chamber of negativity rather than actual constructive criticism of the mechanic. I would expect the opposition to mainly come from seasoned PC shooter players.

I don't actually care much about aim acceleration either way... but when switching games... urgh.
COD>Reach>BF3>Halo3>BFBC2 (maybe, i don't remember it well)

CyReN

Over shield

I really wish it was but it's a annoying mechanic for some of the people that played h1/h2 religiously, along with it enhancing the slow turn problem for wired controllers. Glad to hear it's very minimal in this game though compared to past titles. Hope it works out.

Woorloog

Banned
Good to hear PV nerfed.

If the carbine is getting nerfed too, surely the BR deserves a little buff?

Was the Carbine a lot better than BR earlier?

I really hope Halo 4 actually manages to balance those two weapons, in Halo 2 and 3 BR is clearly better in general (i think Carbine has edge at really short ranges but it is difficult to shoot fast and keep the aim good with it...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom