• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
holy shit

did they dip their faces in acid?

Halo 4: Darkman edition

darkman.jpg

Tawpgun

By day, he's Claude Errera AKA Louis Wu. Casual Halo Player. Mastermind behind HBO. Huge Halo fan.

By night, he transforms into a dongmaster and runs all over kids in MLG.... he is...

2iQ5J.png

credits to Risen for the joke

Slaker117

Woah, those Jackals look way different! Initial reaction is that I like the frail bird-like design much better. Gave the Covies more variety. These kind of just look like vague lizard monsters, though maybe it'll grow on me like Chief's new look.

EDIT: Actually, no, I don't think it will. They might as well be a completely new enemy type.

Cryptum and Primordium Spoiler:

What if
we meet Ancient Human on Requiem?
Not going to happen, just a thought.

I'm hoping something like this does happen and I wonder if a certain piece of concept art hints towards this..

I like it. Looks more reptilian.

I like it also, but I would have preferred a little more alien bird in the design.

Gears of War school of design. Just like the wretches, I mean grunts.

Its the neck, its too thick IMO, making it looks very new grunt/wretch-ish as well as the smaller eyes. I hope they messed with the color to give em a little speckling and variation so they aren't bland grey/brown.

Akai__

Cryptum and Primordium Spoiler:

What if
we meet Ancient Human on Requiem?
Not going to happen, just a thought.

Speaking of Primordium, I will get it tommorow. It has been finally released in Germany. Yeah, I could have read it on english, but I guess I would not understand everything perfectly. Wonders me, why they need so much time for a translation...

a zoojoo

Banned
kylej and Stinkles.
"Halo fan marries Cortana doll, California judge approves."
"New forum members are forced to have premium quality lap dances, police investigate the horrific hazing procedure."
"Obsessed Halo fan threatens to stop playing Reach because of lore continuity errors, Microsoft is investigating the case."
"Frank O’ Connor is tired of people streaking in front of his house, fires Halo array."
"Ex-writer and game designer David Ellis becomes an internet sensation, 1up and Giantbomb dedicate a whole day on the genre-defining meme."
Fixed it for you.
K I just signed up for HaloUnity. How do I create the HaloGAF group?
I added you to the "Group". There is no specific "community" on HaloUNITY yet. Last I heard from one of the admins, is that it's on the list to be reviewed/approved.

Perhaps baffled was the wrong wording, but I was referring to my first sentence in that post. On its own merits, I was confused at its removal (apart from H4 sandbox "conflicts"). Its under-utilization should have been compared to its availability and accessibility, as others have mentioned. If that was done, I don't know.

Perhaps I'm just salty over it because it is one of my favorite Halo weapons to use...ever. It was new, balanced, took at least a little skill to use properly, versatile, and, in the right hands, quite precise. It's one of those weapons where I picked it up any chance I got because it was just so damn fun to use.

Isn't that the point of having different weapons? To facilitate fun?

There is a point when there is just too much to deal with, both as a designer and a player. I'm sure a lot of you will still feel the way you do now about the GL come launch, but I personally felt that even with the "small" selection of weapons in the build I played there wasn't anything lacking or missing. There was a weapon that soothed every single itch and then some. With all the new additions in terms of weapons and abilities in Halo 4 I'm not sure where the GL would fit...

EDIT: and you know that the GL is my favorite weapon in Halo Reach.

Whoa whoa whoa, LTTP. Is there a vid I can see?

Of the grenade, no. I asked Chris if I could film myself using it but he said not to. Technically it wasn't meant to be used. It doesn't even show up on the HUD. You have to listen closely for the grenade pick up sound.

I'm sure you can find the sniper and smg type weapon in some video. I was shot by them multiple times.

Got a little sidetracked and didn't watch Bravo's video until now.

"So at this point in the game it is 460 to 360, and I really didn't think there was any possible way we could lose this game, but...uh...yeah."

HaloGAF, fuck yeah.

Noricart

Gears of War school of design. Just like the wretches, I mean grunts.
This.

Seriously, grunts at least look similar. This Jackal turned from birdlike to something fished out of the Mariana Trench.
I like it also, but I would have preferred a little more alien bird in the design.

The thing about Gears of War enemies is that the are derivatives of the same species, the locust. The problem with the Covenant is that there are several different species within it, so each one should be different from one another, and stay true to the design intentions from Halo 1. That being said, I never got what the jackal was meant to imitate. Bird? Lizard? Both? Maybe it's why I like the new design, the intent was clear behind what it was meant to be; at least to me.

Overdoziz

Banned
I sometimes wish that Bungie made Halo 4 so we wouldn't have half as many changes simply because designers want to put their own stamp on it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The thing about Gears of War enemies is that the are derivatives of the same species, the locust. The problem with the Covenant is that there are several different species within it, so each one should be different from one another, and stay true to the design intentions from Halo 1. That being said, I never got what the jackal was meant to imitate. Bird? Lizard? Both? Maybe it's why I like the new design, the intent was clear behind what it was meant to be; at least to me.
Featherless bird mostly.

IExHI.png

Kig-yar have features similar to birds of prey as well as reptiles. Their legs are sinewy and muscular, and are reverse-jointed in a similar fashion to birds. They have sharp claws on both hands and feet. Being carnivores, their sharp beaks are lined with rows of razor-sharp teeth; some have far more numerous teeth which bear a passing resemblance to baleen.

Kig-yar have extraordinary senses of sight, hearing, and smell. Male Kig-yar possess plumages of spiny quills at the back of the head and on the elbows; the color of this plumage indicates the Kig-yar's mood.[7] Females lack these quill plumages, instead having calloused plates at the forearms and the rear of the head.
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Kig-yar#Anatomy_and_physiology

The main issue I have with the design is their beaks seem gone in H4.

inb4 subspecies, I can't buy that.

Voltron64

I sometimes wish that Bungie made Halo 4 so we wouldn't have half as many changes simply because designers want to put their own stamp on it.
Reach will always be there for you.

Got a little sidetracked and didn't watch Bravo's video until now.

"So at this point in the game it is 460 to 360, and I really didn't think there was any possible way we could lose this game, but...uh...yeah."

HaloGAF, fuck yeah.

69pn0.jpg

a zoojoo

Banned

Seriously, the same people who created bullshit mechanics such as bloom, created jetpack and armor lock, that's who you would want making Halo 4?

Why do all the Covies look fucking terrible in Halo 4? This looks nothing like a Jackal! It looks like Godzilla in the 1998 American film.

Where is the beak?

98goz.jpg

holy shit.

So, I noticed nobody is talking about the new Jackal design-

oGvnl.png

BWF5h.png

I really hope we get some direct feed shots of these, possibly in this weeks Bulletin? They seem damned scary looking, but my big complaint is their eyes seem very small compared to past Jackal designs. It helped make them look more alien. But otherwise, I like em, at least from what I can tell.
Why do all the Covies look fucking terrible in Halo 4? This looks nothing like a Jackal! It looks like Godzilla in the 1998 American film.

Where is the beak?

Seriously, the same people who created bullshit mechanics such as bloom, created jetpack and armor lock, that's who you would want making Halo 4?

Actually people have been begging for Jetpacks since Halo 2 Elites came flying around. Bungie's Jetpack fails because the core gameplay in Reach was bad for it.

http://secretvortex.com/godzilla/98goz.jpg[IMG]
holy shit.[/QUOTE]

LOL! They really do look like Godzilla!

Overdoziz

Banned
I said sometimes. And I'm mostly talking about visual stuff. The Grunts, Elites and Jackals all look like the result of cross-species mating with the dudes from Gears. Chief looks terrible also. And if Bungie made the UI it most likely would've been a continuation of what we have in Reach instead of something made for a card game. I often feel like some changes are made just because the 343 employees want to differentiate them selves from Bungie and that doesn't always work out great in my opinion.

daedalius

So, I noticed nobody is talking about the new Jackal design-

oGvnl.png

BWF5h.png

I really hope we get some direct feed shots of these, possibly in this weeks Bulletin? They seem damned scary looking, but my big complaint is their eyes seem very small compared to past Jackal designs. It helped make them look more alien. But otherwise, I like em, at least from what I can tell.

Also,

ZB8nU.jpg

Thanks Ghaleon!

Holy shit awesome.

Kig-yar reptilian bird thing confirmed.

Where is the beak?

I think your face looks terrible.

Frankie! You and your team need to get your shit together with these designs ffs.

What the fuck does this even mean.

Fuchsdh

Where is the beak?

I tend to agree. Decent designs on their own, but terrible as essentially reimagining the Covenant we know and love.

The thing I liked about the Jackals was they felt like proto-bird dinosaurs with the toothed beak and quills. Now they're just reptilian.

a zoojoo

Banned
Actually people have been begging for Jetpacks since Halo 2 Elites came flying around. Bungie's Jetpack fails because the core gameplay in Reach was bad for it.

IMO, The Reach jetpack negates the entire point of map design and completely disrupts map flow. I wish they would've limited it a little more.

Woorloog

Banned

If Bungie were doing Halo 4, i wouldn't buy it. No matter what they did.
Reach destroyed my faith in Bungie completly.
Well, almost completly... I'll give Destiny a small chance. Not really interesting in it though.
I'll probably abandon consoles in a couple of years, move completly to PC.

Noricart

As long as we are complaining about designs, I don't like that the Elites seem to have their lower torso's exposed, (there seems to be no reasoning behind it.) and that grunts no longer have masks, (which is a small complaint, it's just odd to see the full face of a grunt, whose shape also seems a wee bit off from past halos)

Featherless bird mostly.

IExHI.png

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Kig-yar#Anatomy_and_physiology

The main issue I have with the design is their beaks seem gone in H4.

inb4 subspecies, I can't buy that.

Well, to be fair, not all Jackal designs had a beak, but they always apeared bird-like, in part due to thier posture as well as their large eyes.

Old concept:
XSg8h.jpg

Halo 1:

uVZKl.jpg

Halo 2:

uPY6u.jpg

I feel enlarging the eyes and reducing the neck thickness would make the design looks perfect, and a lot more birdlike.

Where is the beak?

Oh god, I see it.

g98bust.jpg

daedalius

I said sometimes. And I'm mostly talking about visual stuff. The Grunts, Elites and Jackals all look like the result of cross-species mating with the dudes from Gears. Chief looks terrible also. And if Bungie made the UI it most likely would've been a continuation of what we have in Reach instead of something made for a card game. I often feel like some changes are made just because the 343 employees want to differentiate them selves from Bungie and that doesn't always work out great in my opinion.

They change it, you clowns bitch.

They don't change it, you bitch because its 'omg you just took this straight from Reach!'

A whole new art team wants to redesign shit, holy fucking captain obvious.

If Bungie were doing Halo 4, i wouldn't buy it. No matter what they did.
Reach destroyed my faith in Bungie completly.
Well, almost completly... I'll give Destiny a small chance. Not really interesting in it though.
I'll probably abandon consoles in a couple of years, move completly to PC.

I'm sorry for you loss. A misstep in an otherwise solid game doesn't negate everything else they have done and will continue to do.

ZalinKrow

Yeah, the jackals really do look like Godzilla. I couldn't think of what it reminded me of, but I think I was thinking of the version of Godzilla in that cartoon...
0.jpg

I can see I was already beaten even with this version of him too haha.

If the pro-pipe (the one truly great addition Reach brought) has been canned because it was objectively underused then why on earth is the hologram brought back verbatim and unchanged?

Can Biggy or Domino confirm that Hologram is the same? "I thought I read somewhere" that your reticle now turns red when you aim at a hologram. If an enemies HUD behaves the same way it would if it was me in front of him instead of my hologram, I am much more likely to take Hologram.

That was the point.

Shame on you.

Blueblur1

Halo 5 will be a return to form, bro. Just be patient.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm sorry for you loss. A misstep in an otherwise solid game doesn't negate everything else they have done and will continue to do.

Yeah, well, Bioware managed to that as well (though more completly). ME3 ending destroyed the whole series in my eyes. And i'm not touching any future titles by them (CnC Generals 2 being exception but only because the dev team was just rebranded as "BioWare").
I'm still giving Destiny a small chance. BioWare, none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom