• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overdoziz

Banned
Just untenable for a lot of reasons, and would ruin the online experience for anyone without a deep friends list of committed regulars. Matchmaking is a masterstroke, and there's a reason its been so widely adopted on consoles.
You can have matchmaking and a custom browser side-by-side. Just streamline matchmaking so it won't be impacted as much by the lower population caused by the custom browser. That way people can go into matchmaking for a consistent experience while other people can join games in the custom lobby if they want a more specific type of gametype and/or map. Of course there will be terrible servers with admins who ban everyone they moment they lose, but there's also servers that are much better (for you personally) than anything matchmaking has to offer. Add an ability to blacklist and favorite servers (or the players running them) to make it easier to differentiate the two.

I would love a custom lobby.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Stop with this 50ppp stuff. You're embarrassing us, guys.
Tried it, couldn't stand having to scroll so much. It's easier for me to keep track of posts and where I've read to with 50ppp. :shrug

blamite

Tried it, couldn't stand having to scroll so much. It's easier for me to keep track of posts and where I've read to with 50ppp. :shrug

This + it's better for mobile + when I'm catching up on threads I can just catch up 50 posts at a time = 50ppp for life.

Also Recon.

Non-inverted.

You can have matchmaking and a custom browser side-by-side.
You probably could, especially if you allowed people to set up their Xbox as a dedicated server, but it would still be to the detriment of both. And y'all would find yourself complaining about the poor quality of hosts, mismatched teams, etc. more than you already do.

Just untenable for a lot of reasons, and would ruin the online experience for anyone without a deep friends list of committed regulars. Matchmaking is a masterstroke, and there's a reason its been so widely adopted on consoles.

Not to sound rude, but what does that have to do with it? You meet new people online as you would through Matchmaking, the only difference is that now you can search for the games you wanna play and match up with people who like to play what you play (without having to go online and scavenge for people).

Matchmaking + Custom Games Browser seems like the next step in multiplayer gaming IMO.

You probably could, especially if you allowed people to set up their Xbox as a dedicated server, but it would still be to the detriment of both. And y'all would find yourself complaining about the poor quality of hosts, mismatched teams, etc. more than you already do.

So then that's when you would just play your regular Matchmaking playlists, no?

PAGE 343!

FyreWulff

Yeah, but how tiny is H2's community? Would make more sense with a larger population.

The thing is, the CGB would just become (Functionally) another playlist. Which would offer what either isn't in matchmaking, or already is. And by the nature of "What isn't in matchmaking", it'd be a smaller community, with a specific taste. After a couple of months, the H4 CGB would eventually settle on a gametype you'd commonly see in it.

Halo 2 PC's CGB is essentially either MLG Midship or Foundation Snipers. I'm not going to offer an opinion of those gametypes, but unless your tastes fit either of those gametypes, you're going to be making a private game anyway.

A CGB also has the downside of player expectation and player anxiety. Why would I want to play Team Snipers CGB when Team Snipers is a playlist? Because if I start doing well in the CGB version, I'll probably end up being kicked by the host. Matchmaking doesn't have that anxiety. In the opposite direction, player loss anxiety will kick in and you'll have rampant CGB quitting when a player starts losing.

Add in the issue of Megalo (if Megalo is returning) and I don't even know how you would search. Base engine? Bro Slayer, Invasion Slayer, and Invasion are all the same engine. Objectives? The Oddball object exists in Headhunter, Hockey, Haloball, and Oddball. Flags appear in CTF, Stockpile, Speedflag and Territories. The Bomb exists in Assault and Oddball. You'd spend a lot of time looking for a game, looking for a ping, then joining it, then finding out it's not exactly what was advertised, backing out, and looking again.

The community has mostly fixed the problem. MLG fixed it with Gamebattles and custom game threads and times. What would help that community more would be clan/groups that you could join and have an instant list of people that are interested in the same general gametypes that you are, instead of having to fit everyone that likes MLG onto your FL. Want to play MLG customs? Clan list -> Invite All Online. Done.

CliQ

So can we talk about the recon controller setting?

I would like to see sprint on the left bumper and the AA on X. Right now its the reverse, which doesn't seem right to me. Trying to sprint with X and turn at the same time would be so annoying.

Overdoziz

Banned
All I play in Reach is in playlists with less than a thousand players in them. I don't think it will be a problem, especially not if you streamline matchmkaing to have less than 26 (!) playlists.

I would like to see sprint on the left bumper and the AA on X. Right now its the reverse, which doesn't seem right to me. Trying to sprint with X and turn at the same time would be so annoying.
Sprint on X is fine because you only have to tap it once.

I think I read somewhere that they already fixed that or are going to? Either way, I agree :]

CliQ

I think I read somewhere that they already fixed that or are going to? Either way, I agree :]

I acually think making the X button pickup/reload and AA right bumper would be better. That way whether you sprint or use your AA you can still use your right thumb to look around. Plus, you dont really need to look around when you pickup something and reload is just a button press not a hold.

Thoughts?

Not to sound rude, but what does that have to do with it? You meet new people online as you would through Matchmaking, the only difference is that now you can search for the games you wanna play and match up with people who like to play what you play (without having to go online and scavenge for people).
If you put a set of filters over matchmaking, you decimate the viable population for every player who enters with a different filter, which reduces the pool of viable hosts, reduces the range of players available for viable teambuilding (in terms of fair ranking match-ups), and generally increases matchmaking times and the quality of connections for all.

If you set up custom browsers without the ability to also set up dedicated servers with detailed options for rotating maps and gametypes, etc., you get a cliquey mish-mash of poorly organized and even more badly moderated cesspits, from which outsiders will regularly be booted, and which will regularly collapse mid-game. You will spend more time looking for games than playing them -- looking for games with more than three players, looking for games with rules you like, looking for games that don't have pings in the thousands. Meanwhile, you are helping to drain the matchmaking population, making matchmaking worse for everyone. And what you will find, over time, is that the range of 'custom games' will shrink to two or three regular set-ups, which you will either enjoy or you won't. If you want to get into viable games easily and often, or just play something more than, e.g., Snipers on Refuge for-ever, you will have to be an insider of some kind.

I acually think making the X button pickup/reload and AA right bumper would be better. That way whether you sprint or use your AA you can still use your right thumb to look around. Plus, you dont really need to look around when you pickup something and reload is just a button press not a hold.

Thoughts?

Right bumper is melee, not picking up things. That's the B button. I like being able to use melee and being able to melee at the same time.

CliQ

Right bumper is melee, not picking up things. That's the B button. I like being able to use melee and being able to melee at the same time.

I too like to melee and be able to melee at the same time. :)

I knew what you meant.

I thought Recon was RB to reload?

Well anyway, this is my ideal button makeup.

LB Sprint
RB AA
X Reload
B Melee
A Jump
Y Switch Weapon
Lstick Move (push to crouch)
Rstick Look (push to zoom)
D-pad (any direction) Switch nade
Ltrigger Throw nade
Rtrigger Shoot

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Thoughts?
But then it wouldn't be recon.

Thoughts?

Actually not a bad idea at all! I've been clawing since I've had little hands on the DUKE controller so the face buttons have never been a problem for me lol - I think you may have convinced me to a better Recon config :b

If you put a set of filters over matchmaking, you decimate the viable population for every player who enters with a different filter, which reduces the pool of viable hosts, reduces the range of players available for viable teambuilding (in terms of fair ranking match-ups), and generally increases matchmaking times and the quality of connections for all.

I understand that completely, but it may work the opposite by attracting more players into the population because now people can play whatever they want, whenever they want. Maybe a filter such as Forge-edited: Yes/No would help alleviate some of those problems, little touches like that.

I just wouldn't totally trash the whole idea because I think the benefits could far outweigh the negatives considering it would be a Matchmaking and Custom Games Browser working alongside each other. 343 has been taking much larger risks than adding a Custom Games Browser since taking over the Halo helm (such as the whole "copying" CoD's formula stigma people throw around).

kylej

Banned
So who was 343 catering to when they replaced Squad Slayer with Super Slayer? The people who wanted a replica of the Team Slayer playlist but with TU settings? But then why did 343 change the settings in Super Slayer? To cater to the people who wanted a half-assed version of Squad Slayer? If you don't explain decisions like that how do you expect me to trust you?

The DJ must've spilled water on his laptop.

heckfu

Banned
Juices, booties, and Kyle: sorry I bailed. I have an older woman who lives below me and she knocked on my door and needed some help so I had to go to her place.

Myyyyyyy b.

Overdoziz

Banned
LB - Jump
RB - Melee
X - Sprint
B - Pick-up/reload
A - AA
Y - Switch Weapon
Left stick - Move (click and hold to crouch)
Right stick - Look (click to zoom)
D-pad (up) - Switch nade
Left trigger - Throw Grenade
Right trigger - Shoot

Make it happen 343.

kylej

Banned
Juices, booties, and Kyle: sorry I bailed. I have an older woman who lives below me and she knocked on my door and needed some help so I had to go to her place.

Myyyyyyy b.

Should've told her to pound sand, you've got kids to wape. Team Objective is more important than people.

blamite

I think my preferred control layout for H4 would be the current version of Recon, with an option to switch the functions of LB and X. For abilities like Promethean Vision or Thrusters, having them on X would seem much more practical, while keeping LB for the more frequently used Sprint. For Jetpack or Hardlight Shield, though, you'd want to be able to move and aim so having those on LB makes more sense. No reason there shouldn't be some option to toggle these two buttons.

Tawpgun

Just don't reward EXP, credits, Spartan points etc. Don't have any stat tracking/unlocks for custom games either.

Look at how big a boost jackpot playlists get. If there was a custom game lobby I would still spend most my time in matchmaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom