• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been playing Halo 3 all night.

Played a couple matches on Boundless, enjoyed it.

I'd like to thank Reach for giving me true perspective on what makes a bad map.

Iv been playing alot of H3 myself and I know what you mean. The map flow on every map just blows Reach away. Lots of action and great BR battles all going on at one time. H3 maps were made for that. Reach maps were made for AA's.

Iv been playing alot of H3 myself and I know what you mean. The map flow on every map just blows Reach away. Lots of action and great BR battles all going on at one time. H3 maps were made for that. Reach maps were made for AA's.

Like snowbound is a bad map for its own reasons, but like you said, the flow and the design lend themselves to BR battles so well.

didn't get to play a game on Valhalla :(

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Thinking more-

I think Bornstellar is actually insane - I guess most readers just take it as revelation that he's become the didact... But he's not really him at all.

The imprint was supposed to get only some memories from didact but was mainly supposed to simply beef his body up for combat, no?

How would didact react when he finds out this kid has been posing as him? I'd exile him ;)

I mean he was just a boring manipular... His family line has been totally screwed so it's either he goes back to being a nothing forever or he takes the place of didact as he has his memories and he assumes the other is dead

Power grab

Maybe bornstellar is the ancient evil. I mean look at how prejudiced he is at the beginning of cryptum and how naive he is... Even though he "likes" humans he wasn't exactly that way before...

Maybe the procedure wasn't a success after all... The didact did say it was dangerous

GhaleonEB

I can understand if people don't like Nolan's action sequences, but I couldn't get even halfway through that guy's criticisms. He actually complains that there isn't a static 2 shot to set up the interior of truck. A static 2 shot...in a suspense/action sequence.

Also, in a movie about changing morals/two-sides-to-a-coin/ChaosVsOrder he complains about shots feeling like they are reverse shots and/or are breaking the 180 degree rule. THAT'S THE JOKE POINT.

I skipped ahead a bit and immediately he complained about the shot in which the Joker is introduced into the sequence...one of my favorite shots in the movie...and he says it should've been skipped in order to get to the next shot faster. The next shot he's talking about is an overhead establishing shot of the city streets.

If this was 1925 and the guy was having trouble following the sequence I could understand, but The Dark Knight was made for audiences that were raised on movies.

Again, I have issues with Nolan's movies (specifically the various sub-plots in TDK) and there are valid criticisms for his action scenes IF you are approaching the movie strictly as an action/adventure movie, but the complaints listed above are both nit-picky and myopic.
I don't agree with every point he makes; some of them are quite subjective, such as the introduction of the Joker in the sequence. But there are multiple, persistent violations of the basic cinematic rules used to establish things like spacial relationships and direction. Nolan is good at conveying the broad strokes of what happens, but the details of how they happen are often a mess.

The points in the video build on one another so it doesn't lend itself well to skipping around as you did, but there's a great illustration at the 13 minute mark, through 16:15, that sums it up well; the re-edited footage makes much more sense than what is in the film. The rest of the segment (through minute 18) hammers it home.

I'm a very visually oriented person, so I'm sensitive to these kinds of perspective violations. I watch Nolan's action scenes with a growing sense of disorientation, because he does not film his action with clarity or logical framing and cutting. It has nothing to do with the themes of his films, and everything to do with his ability to choreograph action in a way that is coherent. As the video points out, he conveys enough of the idea that most people get it. But it's inelegant, often sloppy and for those visually oriented the repeated errors add up to the point where it's hard to be engaged with the film, since we can't tell what the hell is going on. I have found that he has not improved in this regard; Inception has a few neat sequences, but is just as bad at times. (This has a lot to do with why James Cameron is my favorite director; he stages action with remarkable clarity, keeping everything oriented and framing it beautifully. But that's another topic entirely.)

FyreWulff

~You get to finally play your own map in matchmaking~~

You unlocked:

- Stupid teammates

- teammates that are driving the other team around in your gauss hog

- Did I mention the stupidity, like a teammate driving a mongoose around.. without anyone on the back

that was enough Halo for tonight. fucking trueskill, why do you give the other team competent people and leave me with people that are probably chewing their controllers

You unlocked:

- Stupid teammates

- Did I mention the stupidity, like a teammate driving a mongoose around.. without anyone on the back

that was enough Halo for tonight. fucking trueskill, why do you give the other team competent people and leave me with people that are probably chewing their controllers

ragequit.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Dear mother of fuck

In the halo cea terminal 1

343 guilty spark says this "this ring contains significant dangers and even with your assumed legacy, I must confirm the presence and pitch of your geas before allowing full access" (while chief is on screen)

I never realized he was saying geas (I always pronounced it differently in my head)

When the human imagery is flashing on screen spark says "curious"

When master chief is on screen he says "curious indeed! After all these years"

This stuff is almost backing up my theory :)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yoooo HaloGAF, what's up.

I went shopping at local a games shop today. Picked up Wario Land 2 (Gameboy), Wario Land 3 (GB Color), Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA), and Donkey Kong Country 2 (GBA). Gonna nerd the hell out on classic handheld goodness for the next few weeks. (Edit : Oh yeah, and I also got Dr. Mario/Puzzle League for GBA!)

Also: I got a Nexus 7 tablet yesterday. If anyone's looking to get a 7 inch tablet, I highly recommend it.

Also: Halo.

Wow, that takes me back. It's actually a little heartwarming that someone remembered it; I put a lot of thought into that particular post. <3

It still sums up my take on Halo 3's story.
Just read your post. A flaw that Halo 3 and Reach both have in their scripts, as you mentioned in your post, is that there is very little overarching plot in the first half of both games.

I still have this theory that Halo 3's "Guardian" cut campaign section held answers about the Forerunners, their relation to humanity/the chief, and the Flood that never made it into the game.
Imagine in halo 4... Cortana is the enemy and you have didact telling you stuff in your head.... :>
Do it.
Always.

You unlocked:

- Stupid teammates

Uh, have you ever played Big Team before? That's what it is.

GhaleonEB

You unlocked:

- Stupid teammates

I can assure you this is a feature of every Reach map. I could drop a multi-page rant about my Firefight partners as of late. (No, it's not helpful when I'm engaged in a close quarters melee with a bunch of guys when you lob a rocket at my feet detonating the 10 plasma grenades that have piled up, thanks.)

wwm0nkey

Dear mother of fuck

343 guilty spark says this "this ring contains significant dangers and even with your assumed legacy, I must confirm the presence and pitch of your geas before allowing full access" (while chief is on screen)

I never realized he was saying geas (I always pronounced it differently in my head)

Fuck your right he does say it. Never noticed that.

m23

So I rewatched Batman Begins, forgot how great it really was. I'll probably rewatch Dark Knight and come next Saturday I'll finally be able to watch Dark Knight Rises. Its gonna be a long week.

Also, once you read the forerunner books and rewatch the terminals, you will notice quite a few things you might not have the first time around. I also didn't notice 343 said "geas" until after I read Primordium.

zap

You unlocked:

- Stupid teammates

Even if you had competent teammates, you wouldn't have a good time on Cragmire.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Dear mother of fuck

I don't really get the implications here... Would you mind explaining more, or linking me to other posts you might've made? I don't know all that much about the Forerunner trilogy fiction.

FyreWulff

Even if you had competent teammates, you wouldn't have a good time on Cragmire.

The guy that forged is is pretty good at what he does from what I hear

I can assure you this is a feature of every Reach map. I could drop a multi-page rant about my Firefight partners as of late. (No, it's not helpful when I'm engaged in a close quarters melee with a bunch of guys when you lob a rocket at my feet detonating the 10 plasma grenades that have piled up, thanks.)

I think people don't realize that it was a good thing ODST didn't have matchmaking, especially with the survival setup.

Dear mother of fuck

Finally. Now Finish Cryptum and Primordium Already! :D

Riser, Chakas, Bornstellar, Didact within the Forerunner Saga. Remember these names.

Geas was passed down by a specific Forerunner.

GhaleonEB

I think people don't realize that it was a good thing ODST didn't have matchmaking, especially with the survival setup.

Yeah, even setting aside the netcode (ending the game with a drop or quit alone prohibits matchmaking), the game configuration is a griefers dream and a good players nightmare. For bad players, they'd last about 90 seconds, draining the life pool.

That said, I hope Spartan Ops is not just a mini-Campaign. I really want a good survival mode. It's tough to do online, but I really hope that niche will exist.

It is really bugging me that I don't have all the achievements in Halo Wars, ODSt , and Halo 3. If any of you are up to it or need those achievements let me know.

FyreWulff

Yeah, even setting aside the netcode (ending the game with a drop or quit alone prohibits matchmaking), the game configuration is a griefers dream and a good players nightmare. For bad players, they'd last about 90 seconds, draining the life pool.

That said, I hope Spartan Ops is not just a mini-Campaign. I really want a good survival mode. It's tough to do online, but I really hope that niche will exist.

This would have been ODST matchmaking:

1) people quitting out and ending the game because it's dinner time on set 3

2) people getting off the map and idling on the top of Lost Platoon while all of you sit on the spawn screen and quit after a half hour

3) everyone would vote Lost Platoon and Lost Platoon only

4) betrayals for the hog

Havok

Sorry Ram and Domino, was talking to the roommate instead of paying attention to the game and didn't catch your invites until it was too late to start playing a bunch of matches.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It's one of the major ideas in the new trilogy. I'm only a ways into the second book (70 pages), but it's proving even more important in it than in the first.

http://www.halopedia.org/Geas
Cool, that's good to know about, hah. I still don't really understand what Dopey's getting at, though. I should read the Forerunner books after I finish up with Dune.

And another note: I wonder how Spartan Ops objectives like "carry the core" will work in single player. Will the game just skip that objective, or give you AI helpers, or...?

GhaleonEB

Cool, that's good to know about, hah. I still don't really understand what Dopey's getting at, though. I should read the Forerunner books after I finish up with Dune.

And another note: I wonder how Spartan Ops objectives like "carry the core" will work in single player. Will the game just skip that objective, or give you AI helpers, or...?

I'm guessing you either put it on your back, or you have to kill all the enemies in the an area and then lug it from there.

Enjoying Dune? I had some issues with it, particularly later on, but Herbert built one mother of an interesting universe, IMO.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoying Dune? I had some issues with it, particularly later on, but Herbert built one mother of an interesting universe, IMO.
Yeah, I'm loving it so far. I'm about 100 pages from the end, and have only minor complaints. The universe is definitely enthralling. I already can't wait to get my hands on the follow up novels.

FyreWulff

Discussion of ODST now has me loading up and playing ODST. Crater time!

edit: the game decided to reward my long absence with a 3-hammer brute first boss round.

Yoooo HaloGAF, what's up.

I went shopping at local a games shop today. Picked up Wario Land 2 (Gameboy), Wario Land 3 (GB Color), Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA), and Donkey Kong Country 2 (GBA). Gonna nerd the hell out on classic handheld goodness for the next few weeks. (Edit : Oh yeah, and I also got Dr. Mario/Puzzle League for GBA!)

Also: I got a Nexus 7 tablet yesterday. If anyone's looking to get a 7 inch tablet, I highly recommend it.

Also: Halo.

Niiiice, Minish Cap is probably my favorite Zelda behind Windwaker. You're gonna have a blast.

Also, just got back from seeing Batman and thought it was great. I like Dark Knight more though, I think.

Is it imperative that when going in solo all of the rest of your team must be dipshits or something? Is there some memo I missed? Am I on some shit list?
If you are on a shit list then so am I. Its unreal how many bad players i get matched up with. If im the top scorer the majority of games i feel like Matchmaking is not doing its job.

(not sure if i am top score the majority of games but it certainly feels like it most of the time.)

Besides that i also get complete fucknuts for team mates betraying me for snipe or doing the exact same action off spawn every single time.

Kevin's reaction makes me think Bear wasn't supposed to say that, haha.

I got that as well. If I'm hearing correctly, it was,
"Master Chief and his Spartans are two unmixed sets of DNA - one of which is embedded in one of the characters in Halo Cryptum."

If so. Yikes.

Edit: Decided to spoiler tag that...

I played three games by myself for the first time in months today. I did really well in each, all my teammates went negative, and we lost two of the games. It's so awful, almost ruins any incentive to do well if you're not rewarded for it.

Just spoiler tag it, and say what you are spoiling before the black ink.
I was meaning to further speculate in PMs because speculating in this thread can be a problem to those that aren't up to date with the novels. If it's only a few spoilers to add into discussion then I'll do so.

I think I'm the only person ever who really doesn't like High Ground.

Still better than almost all the Reach maps, tho.

Nuh uh. I crowned it the worst map in the game. This is based on the fact I played one sided objective on it a handful of times but slayer a thousand. The forcing of gametypes on maps not intended for it is pre-school MM management, an insult to the playerbase and something that absolutely has to stop for Halo 4.

Is it imperative that when going in solo all of the rest of your team must be dipshits or something? Is there some memo I missed? Am I on some shit list?

It's how Reach rewards you for taking the time to become good at the game: makes it impossible to win.

The less players in the game the higher your chance of influencing the outcome though. 4v4's OK. Last night I played some BTB alone and MM gave me nothing to work with. No matter how well I did, it was ultimately futile because of the rank incompetency of my 'teammates'. All I need are one or two of my seven to be decent. Nope, can't do that. Funny how they can find four players that possess hands on the other team though.

Reach
ruining nights

You jest but sometimes Reach can literally bludgeon me into a bad mood. It passes five minutes after I turn the game off. It's why I've barely played the game of late. Sad thing is, it's not even the game in itself. It's the rubbish around it: the teammates, the wrong map/gametype chosen, the blackscreens, the power weapons respawning after blackscreens, the quitting rendering objective games void, being betrayed for the sniper, gamertags with guests idling for the credit jackpot, etc etc etc.

.You jest but sometimes Reach can literally bludgeon me into a bad mood. It passes five minutes after I turn the game off. It's why I've barely played the game of late. Sad thing is, it's not even the game in itself. It's the rubbish around it: the teammates, the wrong map/gametype chosen, the blackscreens, the power weapons respawning after blackscreens, the quitting rendering objective games void, being betrayed for the sniper, gamertags with guests idling for the credit jackpot, etc etc etc.

Just another reason team training should come back and all of the guests should fuck around in there.

Yeah, I'm loving it so far. I'm about 100 pages from the end, and have only minor complaints. The universe is definitely enthralling. I already can't wait to get my hands on the follow up novels.
I only read the first few pages of the sequel, but if I remember right it takes place a couple thousand years after Dune, the main character of Dune is dead, and his mother is commanding armies or something. I was thoroughly put off, but I hear it's still good

also I'm really lost on all this fiction talk, where should I start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom