• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylej

Banned
Drop in drop out is terrible for most halo games

Big team battle / customs are fine

The problem with halo is that you don't join a game and stay with the game until you leave... Like PC shooters

They need to have casual work that way and competitive to be distinct matches

None of the playlists are competitive anyway. Better to have an endless stream of scrubs to poop on than sit there meleeing walls and browsing reddit because one idiot on the other team wont leave.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
None of the playlists are competitive anyway. Better to have an endless stream of scrubs to poop on than sit there meleeing walls and browsing reddit because one idiot on the other team wont leave.

Lol. I have played many games where I have won simply because I was the last player left on my team

4 vs 1 is an advantage to the 1

So why not take advantage?

And playlists in reach aren't competitive because they fucked the competitive part of the game that halo 2 and 3 thrived on. If it goes back to halo 2/3 then all will be good.

Gazzawa

I hope you have a choice to only find matches that are about to start. I know for sure that you're never going to be put on the winning team. Nobody quits when they're winning unless they lag out or get booted.

I've never seen this in a game. Perhaps a parameter put in so you don't join a game that is close to finishing. Wish mod 2 did this. It's only flaw. :)

Talents

Banned
Lol. I have played many games where I have won simply because I was the last player left on my team

4 vs 1 is an advantage to the 1

So why not take advantage?

And playlists in reach aren't competitive because they fucked the competitive part of the game that halo 2 and 3 thrived on. If it goes back to halo 2/3 then all will be good.

It's not an advantage on MLG, say if you're on Construct and the other team have people at top gold, Closed purple, open purple and lets say sword, you have next to no way of getting top control, you're pretty much screwed.

Howdy

Neo Member
For me, the jury is out on drop-in/drop-out. Potentially fantastic. I want to believe.

I like the new dinosaur enemies in Halo 4.
Strange how we haven't seen any jackals yet.

I think drop-in/drop-out works really well for Gears 3, sometimes I want to just get into a game and play. The teammate AI leaves a little to be desired though... I wouldn't be opposed to it in H4. I think it would be really cool if done right.

The Halo 4 Jackals kinda remind me of Chamberlain from the Dark Crystal.
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/images/AUTOIMAGES/NC60650lg.jpg

Gunnerdude

Neo Member

I am proud to say... I am always that idiot who won't leave. If a team of 4 wants a win, I make a team of 4 earn that win, even by myself.

(You wouldn't believe the amount of times I've beaten a team that starts screwing around after I lose my teammates)

It's not an advantage on MLG, say if you're on Construct and the other team have people at top gold, Closed purple, open purple and lets say sword, you have next to no way of getting top control, you're pretty much screwed.

Ah but then it becomes a game of sneaky jet pack man! :p

raindoc

Going by the pictures that's the new dino Covie race, we've yet to see jackals.

are you kidding me? the guy with the shield is a jackal, not an elite.

7629771124_cf18b67804_z.jpg

dino/elite to the left in the back, jackal to the right and front. even without close-up, the shield is a good hint IMHO.

kylej

Banned

1) 1-50 isn't coming back.
2) Halo 4 puts giant text in the middle of your screen that rewards you for running out in the open and dying.

Make of that what you will.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member

2) Halo 4 puts giant text in the middle of your screen that rewards you for running out in the open and dying.

Make of that what you will.

3)Add a guitar riff every time you get a kill/assist/distraction/death/unlockweapon/"rankup" and ship it!

I don't play Reach so I don't have that problem lol.

Ah that does say Construct... fail on reading :( you are right. In that case... hope for camo/overshield and hide!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
drop in drop out is a GOOD start but i really hope it doesn't replace quit bans. i hope quit bans become more strict even.

if you're losing to a better team, play hard til the end! don't bitch out and quit.

no gamesmanship in children these days i'm tellin ya.

mind expanding on these two? what do you mean?

drop in drop out is a GOOD start but i really hope it doesn't replace quit bans. i hope quit bans become more strict even.

if you're losing to a better team, play hard til the end! don't bitch out and quit.

no gamesmanship in children these days i'm tellin ya.

i don't think quit bans should exist at all. especially when it's 1v4 because the rest of your team quit. you shouldnt have to sit for 12 minutes while the other team destroys you/

Tawpgun

People are mad at the Jackal redesign, because it's changing the fundamental design of the Jackals. Turning them from avian like scavengers to dinosaurs.

To be honest they kind of look like generic monsters

Beckx

Me: FUCK YOU CARMACK

Did he do anything except the tech? But yeah. I couldn't get into that game at all, it seemed so soulless.

Helped my son finish Halo 3 this weekend (mainly, I played through Cortana, he did the rest). He's pumped for H4 and hoping that Hornets return (and available in Forge). So get on that, Frankles.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
People are mad at the Jackal redesign, because it's changing the fundamental design of the Jackals. Turning them from avian like scavengers to dinosaurs.

To be honest they kind of look like generic monsters

Based on the pic from earlier it looked like they flip-flopped designs every game though. Also seeing them in the Halo 4 demo they looked fine. Still bird-like.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i don't think quit bans should exist at all. especially when it's 1v4 because the rest of your team quit. you shouldnt have to sit for 12 minutes while the other team destroys you/

the rest of your team won't quit because they know they'll get banned and they'll know it sucks.

Arnie

Drop in, drop out is good for social, aka Kyle, but it's pretty shit for serious Ranked playlists. It undoes any effort to stigmatise quitting, thus ruining each and every playlist, even if it's not in every playlist.

They need to reveal the game at some point since its coming out in Fall 2013 and the VGAs will have a peak into the next generation and we know Destiny is also coming out on the new xbox as well thanks to the Activision court case.

Shaky Assumptions:
- Destiny is still targeting a Fall 2013 release.
- It's going to release on the Super Xbox 720™ at the same time as the 360.
- The 720 will release in Fall 2013 or earlier.

That contract was signed in April 2010. Kinect wasn't released until November 2010 and it arguably sold well enough to impact the console release timeline.

We're going to see something from Bungie in 2013, but I wouldn't be surprised if the release date and/or targeted consoles have shifted in the past two years.

(Your assumptions aren't bad, the contract certainly gives us a better idea of what they're shooting for. We just can't take them as fact. Personally I agree that a VGA reveal seems appropriate.)

Helllllll naw, I hate the Twitch Tv app for a number of reasons, first off it doesn't let you watch past streams, second the comments never load on streams, and third it always changes video quality so I'd be watching something then it'll jump back to 20 seconds ago.

Frusturating.
Yup. I'm noticing all the mistakes already </3
Do you have a recommended better stream app?

Has 343/MS ever actually called it "Drop-in, Drop-out" anywhere?

I could be wrong, but I believe it has always been referred to as "Join In-Progress."

Big difference right there.

I don't get the "jackals don't look birdlike now" complaints. They didn't look birdlike in Halo CE or 2, only in 3 and Reach. So I don't get the big deal with that at all.

daedalius

Join in progress is amazing, I'm pretty much with Kyle on this one; would rather have a random stream of scrubs than running around meleeing walls and browsing the internet on my phone waiting for a 1v8 to finish. If you want a competitive game, well hopefully there is a playlist for that for one(that doesn't have JIP, it shouldn't need it), or do customs.

Also do we really need to have the jackal discussion again? It still looks like a lizard bird.

Join in progress is amazing, I'm pretty much with Kyle on this one; would rather have a random stream of scrubs than running around meleeing walls and browsing the internet on my phone waiting for a 1v8 to finish. If you want a competitive game, well hopefully there is a playlist for that for one(that doesn't have JIP, it shouldn't need it), or do customs.

Also do we really need to have the jackal discussion again? It still looks like a lizard bird.

Ill be happy if it is in. Obviously I don't think its going to work in gametypes like MLG or Ranked Playlists but for everything social I'm more than happy about its inclusion.

Not really. "Join-in progress' they would probably still enforce quit bans and such, while if they call it 'drop-in/drop-out" it'll probably be more COD-style and not have any penalty.

Yes, but in practice, it could end up essentially the same, no?

Will people care about quit bans?

Arnie

Not really. "Join-in progress' they would probably still enforce quit bans and such, while if they call it 'drop-in/drop-out" it'll probably be more COD-style and not have any penalty.
Join in progress by it's very nature makes quitting more acceptable than it currently is, even if there's still a quitting ban (which I don't think there will be). It's not the same on the surface, but the connotations of openly allowing players to join games in progress implies an allowance to quit in progress, too.
Exactly.

Tawpgun

Whatever, its 343's choice and the design isn't going to change substantially.

I just don't like it. They have beady eyes, no beak/snout, large face etc.

nbraun80

That's a good question. I doubt most people that quit in Reach care a bout a 10 min. ban after 7 or 8 quits. Maybe if they raised the penalty or did something else to encourage completion of a match.

Beckx

Which brings us back to something I mentioned previously, use the Valve/DotA thing where quitters are sent to Quitter Purgatory to play against each other until they fight their way out, Sandman Slim style.

u4iX

That's another reason why I think there should be ranked playlists with visible ranks. It makes it that much more important to stay in ranked games if something like a visible rank is at stake.

I play ranked playlists for either the competitive gametype or the rank. I play social playlists when I don't feel like trying to win. That was the distinction made in Halo 3 and I think that was one of the things H3 did rate. Those matchmaking hoppers were really effective.

The thing about visual ranks is that it ties everything in. If you want to play a ranked playlist, but don't actually care about the rank, then you'll be in the lower ranks with similar minded players. It's nothing against you as a player personally, it just sorts you out. Higher ranked players have played for that rank and care about winning, so they'll be matched up together.

Drop in drop out (we should call this DIDO, there will be no white flag above my door) will be AMAZING for social playlists.

However, there needs to be a reason why people won't quit out of ranked games as well, and that's where a visual rank plays a key role.

It's going to be so awesome when kids join my game and go -10 before quitting.

I still think if you quit a game you should be locked out of team-based playlists until the game you quit is over.

This is basically how it "should" work.

Join in progress Gameplay for all playlist's without a ridged ranking structure. (with the exception of MLG)

3 Quits in a row in any Playlist and you face an hour long matchmaking ban. 3 Quits in a row after that hour (within a 72 hour period) and you suffer a 24 hour ban.

Along side this is a "Quit Quota" which tracks player quits. 10 Quits over a 2 day period and its a day long quit ban.

Quitting servers no purpose and those who do it should be punished. A stricter punishment would deter people from quitting and JiP would mak sure that games remain full and playable so people have less reason to quit.

Those who quit because of the predicted outcome of a game should be punished and those who quit with a valid reason will likely not quit again within the hour because if the quit because they grew tired of the game or had obligations those obligations would be keeping them busy.

Alongside this players players who do idle for extended periods should be kicked.

Which brings us back to something I mentioned previously, use the Valve/DotA thing where quitters are sent to Quitter Purgatory to play against each other until they fight their way out, Sandman Slim style.

This would be hilarious, because, I imagine they would never finish a full game together.

Tawpgun

That's another reason why I think there should be ranked playlists with visible ranks. It makes it that much more important to stay in ranked games if something like a visible rank is at stake.

I play ranked playlists for either the competitive gametype or the rank. I play social playlists when I don't feel like trying to win. That was the distinction made in Halo 3 and I think that was one of the things H3 did rate. Those matchmaking hoppers were really effective.

The thing about visual ranks is that it ties everything in. If you want to play a ranked playlist, but don't actually care about the rank, then you'll be in the lower ranks with similar minded players. It's nothing against you as a player personally, it just sorts you out. Higher ranked players have played for that rank and care about winning, so they'll be matched up together.

Drop in drop out (we should call this DIDO, there will be no white flag above my door) will be AMAZING for social playlists.

However, there needs to be a reason why people won't quit out of ranked games as well, and that's where a visual rank plays a key role.
This

Arnie

It's going to be so awesome when kids join my game and go -10 before quitting.

I still think if you quit a game you should be locked out of team-based playlists until the game you quit is over.

This is an excellent idea.

In regards to your first point, I always saw people quitting after being donged on as a reward for the person, and team, doing the donging. Not now when Kyle quits out and gets replaced by Tashi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom