• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are people seeing the Sniper gameplay? Can anyone link me? EDIT: Found it.

Not a fan of the UI, I think it looks pretty but is a step back in terms of conveying useful information. If the games good and I play it a bunch I want the UI to make my job of getting around easier, not harder.

As for the forge reveal, im actually kind of sad forge wasn't just cut, I hate forge maps in matchmaking. :p So I guess I dont really care that they didn't seem to devote many resources to overhauling it. The new dynamic lighting stuff looks great and the new features are ok, but overall its pretty much just forge again.

heckfu

Banned
Checking out my new computer at my folks and pulled up Tashi's stream and the first thing we all hear from it out of the box is, "Oh my fucking kylej SHIT."

Just caught up on all the Forge stuff and I've got to say it is looking pretty nice at the moment. Im glad that the map doesn't seem as big as Forgeworld since that map has so much wasted space when ever you build a map on it. Hopefully the other forge maps have different themes and colors to them. The dynamic lighting looks amazing although I hope like hell it wont cause any framerate issues. The magnet tool pretty sweet for new forgers I never had any real issues with lining up my objects but it should make things easier. Overall it looks pretty sweet.

The new UI immediately reminded me of GT5, that's not a good thing since GT5's menus were a clusterf***. I'm praying usability is good.

pETBbl.jpg

I don't think I'm on anybody's friends list anymore lol. Zerofire still has me. I'm gonna be busy for much of the night, but I'm gonna try and start getting on more often.
GT: xxdeputymoonman if anyone has space.

EDIT: also /high five bobs

Not a fan of the UI, I think it looks pretty but is a step back in terms of conveying useful information. If the games good and I play it a bunch I want the UI to make my job of getting around easier, not harder.

As for the forge reveal, im actually kind of sad forge wasn't just cut, I hate forge maps in matchmaking. :p So I guess I dont really care that they didn't seem to devote many resources to overhauling it. The new dynamic lighting stuff looks great and the new features are ok, but overall its pretty much just forge again.

Woorloog

Banned
IMO Halo 4 UI looks oddly "Kinectified", just like the Xbox Dashboard.
Maybe it is some Microsoft/their subsidiary thing...

Fracas

#fuckonami
I don't think I'm on anybody's friends list anymore lol. Zerofire still has me. I'm gonna be busy for much of the night, but I'm gonna try and start getting on more often.
GT: xxdeputymoonman if anyone has space.

EDIT: also /high five bobs

What are you doing, brah?! We're here

Whoever is complaining about the H4 UI doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about. It's great; a natural evolution of what's come before.

IMO Halo 4 UI looks oddly "Kinectified", just like the Xbox Dashboard.
Maybe it is some Microsoft/their subsidiary thing...

I was thinking the same thing, although it does kind of remind me of Halo 1's multiplayer UI. e.g. When you are selecting the gametypes.

Woorloog

Banned
It's really going to come down to functionality and ease of use. Something that of course, we will have to use to test.

Halo 4 UI just looks too much like Xbox Dashboard, which sucks. (Well, Xbox dashboards have sucked since day one, IMO. Blades dashboard was cool but it wasn't really good. And dear lord how slow the Guide was back then... it is still too slow)
The previous iteration of Xbox Dashboard was better than this current POS. A bit.

So, hopefully it works just fine, it doesn't look like it works fine. It looks good but looking good doesn't equal working well.

And did i just cram this text full of tautologies?

Nutduster

Neo Member
Either make Forge a proper map creator or don't put a hundred Forge maps into Matchmaking. If I have to play Forge maps over half the time in Halo 4 I will strangle two puppies.

I hear you on this but I would add a caveat. If forge in Reach (let alone forge in H4) had no framerate issues and you could literally build whatever you want, allowing for budget and object count restraints, the maps you could forge would be so much better and more diverse. Yes, even with all the gray. You could use more objects; you could use aesthetic objects and things with lights on them; you could use COLORED FRIGGIN' LIGHTS. I've made a couple of beautiful maps that I had to abandon due to unsuitable framerate, and I've seen maps from others that were nearly as pretty as on-disc, non-forged maps. But you'll never see a map like that in Reach matchmaking because of performance. It sucks.

So here's to hoping that 343 has somehow fixed that damn framerate nightmare. That, along with a couple of new palettes (and maybe some other unrevealed surprises) would go a long way to making forge maps more tolerable, and not just a repetitive series of coliseum wall boxes with a few ramps and 2x4 blocks in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom