• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homeboyd

by forge? really?

hBxwA.gif
To be fair, I was blown away by Reach's Forge reveal. I was expecting the same level of improvement from halo 3 to reach as I was here with reach to 4. They did make some improvements and we haven't seen near everything, but that feeling I had when I first saw Forge World never came close to returning today. A simple hill creator/ground leveler would've done it, but I guess that's not going to happen this gen. Hoping for some more color schemes, but I won't bet on it.

Gui_PT

We should probably ask Frank if there are plans to be a beta. Didn't Halo: Reach have one?

I was going to ask them if they were going to do their best to make Halo 4 a good game, but this question's probably more important.

Going to send him a PM asking if there will be a beta

zap

Away from the aesthetics, what do you think about the functionality, ie magnets, duplication and so on?

For me, I think it's a step in the right direction, but a smaller step than what we wanted.

Tbh I would have been over the moon if we had simple terrain editing and swappable colours on all forge pieces.

I don't feel like my expectations were set too high.

I need someone like Fyre to explain if it would be hard on the engine to be able to have a few colour textures that can be swapped on to each piece.

Overdoziz

Banned
Away from the aesthetics, what do you think about the functionality, ie magnets, duplication and so on?
Using coordinates isn't that much different from magnets, duplication objects is nice but opening up a menu and picking an object achieves the same goal, and finally there's the player trait areas which will rarely be used in maps that aren't meant for mini-games. I can only get so excited about that.

I was ready to be blown away by Forge. What they've shown so far has been really disappointing. The biggest complaint was the fact that every Reach Forge map looked the same and they show us more grey and no new ways to make maps look better? Yeah, I'm not convinced.

Im totally with you that the way they showed off Forge was less than spectacular, it seriously looks like Forgeworld with better lighting and some nice new tricks, which are nice, but they dont address the biggest complaints from gamers who play on Forge maps. They really should have shown off at least a different looking environment that doesn't look like what we have been stuck with, thats for sure.. That said, I am sure this new Forge is filled with tons of new neat new things, but for whatever reason they didn't show them.. or even really show a Forge map. We didn't even see what this new forge can do, I really don't get it. I mean if this was supposed to be a tease they should have said so, instead the demo ended right when I was expecting them to address the 'big issues'.

Truth be told from forge I was expecting:
New tricks to make building easier (those are in)
Texture Pallets (unknown if they made it)
weather/time of day (confirmed to not be in)
More ways to manipulate the natural environment/terrain (unknown)
New tricks with gravity/interactivity/etc (in)

So yeah, Im a little underwhelmed, at least by this initial showing. Im just saying the canceling preorder bit is a little much.

ElRenoRaven

I'm not hard to please at all. Previous Halos had the right direction, just needed clean up or to utilize wasted space. This current version though? Why is something like start game huge? What's the design decision there?

Yup. I agree 100 percent. I'd rate the interface from what we've seen behind Halo 3 and Reach without a doubt. Course I'm lucky in that I can adapt to even the worst of the worst interfaces as long as the gameplay is good.

Karl2177

343 needs to learn how to make something big out of a little bit. Comparing Reach's and 4's Forge reveals makes Reach's Forge look like a massive step up from 3 compared to 4 from Reach.

TheOddOne

To be fair, I was blown away by Reach's Forge reveal. I was expecting the same level of improvement from halo 3 to reach as I was here with reach to 4. They did make some improvements and we haven't seen near everything, but I that feeling I had when I first saw Forge World never came close to returning today. A simple hill creator/ground leveler would've done it, but I guess that's not going to happen this gen. Hoping for some more color schemes, but I won't bet on it.
I get Over’s point about showing the grey Forerunner pallet was the least appealing way they could have shown off the latest Forge. From the outset it looks like Forge world, which it of course is the intention, but looks – outside of the great new lighting – more of the same. The underlining systems however are getting a massive boost with great new additions for forgers. I think they impact of those systems would have been bigger if they had shown it in one of the new environments, now however they will not dominate the discussion – outside of the more hardcore forgers.

Maybe it was done intentionally, because much of it isn’t shipping quality yet or still have to be tweaked and such. However they could have teased those environments with screenshots and it would have gotten a bigger reaction then it got now.

zap

Use coordinates isn't that much different from magnets, duplication objects is nice but opening up a menu and picking an objects achieves the same goal, and finally there's the player trait areas which will rarely be used in maps that aren't meant for mini-games. I can only get so excited about that.

A mirror feature would be so much better than the duplication.

Set plane(s) to mirror, press a button and boom, symmetrical map.

Or just a group feature so you can duplicate a group of objects laid out a certain way. There are so many better features that could have been added.

ElRenoRaven

Put me down for UI hate.

Looks like its supposed be made for Kinect or some bullshit.

I'm not a fan of the big fucking blocks with visuals that don't really provide useful information anymore and the real estate they take up. It's being used everywhere. If there is very little information necessary, fine sure, use it. But when there are more than several things a player wants to see. Like a friend list, and you decide to add a button when previous games could display 16 players fine, and those UIs were more than useful, I have to wonder what the fuck people are thinking.

Also the names. Sideways down the screen. Why. I'm having conniption fits over here.

Both of you nailed my thoughts perfectly on it. I really can't put it any better. I really also do wonder what the hell people are thinking when designing an interface like that to be honest.

Longbow gameplay...I couldn't tell the relationship between the vehicles and player health. I hope 343 clarifies that relationship soon because we've seen gameplay videos of it already.

When one of the players got into the Warthog, something looked off. I couldn't place my finger on it until I saw it a second time: It looks like they're driving a box. It's very rectangular.

Other than that everything looks good from what I'm expecting. I wish the videos were of a higher resolution and had no announcer.

Using coordinates isn't that much different from magnets, duplication objects is nice but opening up a menu and picking an object achieves the same goal, and finally there's the player trait areas which will rarely be used in maps that aren't meant for mini-games. I can only get so excited about that.

The player trait areas fix the man cannon landing issue with distance and damage ect.

The objects look pretty diverse and detailed to me a big improvement on Halo:Reach and again they could change textures and such with the enviroments.

Overdoziz

Banned
A mirror feature would be so much better than the duplication.

Set plane(s) to mirror, press a button and boom, symmetrical map.

Or just a group feature so you can duplicate a group of objects laid out a certain way. There are so many better features that could have been added.
Sorry, too busy creating a billion Spec Ops missions.

Sorry, too busy creating a billion Spec Ops missions.

Honestly those spec ops mission are more important.

To you personally maybe not but its already been said alot of people dont even play the halo competitive stuff. Spartan Ops is going to add alot of life to the game.

If forge sucks real bad we still have hope that the DLC maps will be good and the maps shown so far look solid even if adrift is a bit too dark. Im happy with haven and longbow.

Id love a better looking sniper.

Tawpgun

You really need to get your expectations out of batshit insane. All these improvements are fine. You think terrain editing is going to create better maps? It's only going to create people who don't know how big to make a hill.

These new additions are totally awesome. I think dynamic lighting is the best one. Now maps will look real. Only thing it needs is more color options to orient yourself on forge maps.

The user interface is complete poop. Why not improve on what reach did? Reach's menu's for the most part are spectacular. In these h4 ones I cant even tell who is in the party properly.

Forge has a few really nice improvements but I seriously hope they have more left to reveal when it comes to colors. I find this disappointing, why not be able to add colors on those white parts of forge pieces like this:

(super lazy example but you get the idea)

jDZAGfeAj6cyM.png

ElRenoRaven

10 extra hours of gameplay>>>forge.

As long as we don't see 50 shades of grey in MM.

That is my one hope. Since forge is in I really hope forge maps are limited to their own playlist or lists. I really don't wanna see them in matchmaking with regular maps. I honestly only saw maybe 3 forge maps that were worth a shit in Reach.

Soooo

I actually thought Forge was quite impressive, the dynamic lighting system being the standout feature and a huge improvement over previous versions (as it should be).

Forge's improvements from Halo 3 through Reach and now Halo 4 have been focused not on user ability but user accessibility. Any sensibly sized map that can be made in H4 could probably be made in H3's forge and certainly Reach's, just with a greater amount of stress exertion. So, while not a radical reinvention of the mode to allow previously impossible maps to now be made, it once again reduces the aggro in forging. Pretty unspectacular stuff but nonetheless an improvement.

The dynamic lighting though, that will make a significantly favourable difference to the forge map aesthetic I think. Thinking of Asylum in Reach, it has that bloodless 'superimposed' look to the bases and the surroundings of the centre ring. I just hope they nail the performance this time around, no frame rate breakdowns please.

The 'player trait' option is interesting. Party game makers will get a lot of mileage out of that. Action Sack will be fucked up this time around.

Did anyone notice the animation of the AR when falling from a great height? Looked cool as fuck.

The UI is a mixed bag. I quite dig the huge boxes for the gametype and map; If my memory serves me correctly the Halo CE custom UI had very similar elements ('Team Slayer' and "Oddball' etc were huge tablet rectangles). I'd have to agree with many here though that the player names on their side is hilariously poor and should be rectified.

The Longbow gameplay was good, getting very pumped to play this game now. One last thing though

The sniper still looks like shit. It must be changed.

The user interface is complete poop. Why not improve on what reach did? Reach's menu's for the most part are spectacular. In these h4 ones I cant even tell who is in the party properly.

Forge has a few really nice improvements but I seriously hope they have more left to reveal when it comes to colors. I find this disappointing, why not be able to ad colors on those white parts of forge pieces like this:

(super lazy example but you get the idea)

jDZAGfeAj6cyM.png

Where has it been said that you can't do this?

my forge sessions turn into playing with killballs and dropping tanks on my friends

would rather have no forge maps in matchmaking (maybe ONE dedicated playlist for them) and a shit ton of spartan ops missions instead.

zap

You really need to get your expectations out of batshit insane. All these improvements are fine. You think terrain editing is going to create better maps? It's only going to create people who don't know how big to make a hill.

These new additions are totally awesome. I think dynamic lighting is the best one. Now maps will look real. Only thing it needs is more color options to orient yourself on forge maps.

How is expecting terrain editing 'batshit insane'? It's a logical extension.

Lol at bold. Wtf.

Shadders

Yup fuck that i hate sideways writing it ALWAYS looks shitty

Aye, that's the thing about letters, isn't it? Orientation matters.

You take an N and rotate to the left and you have a Z. You take a U and rotate the right and you have a C.

Our brains are wired up to read them a certain way, and whilst we can work out what they say at different angles it's still an unnecessary layer of confusion. It slows the brain ever-so-slightly and means you don't get the same flow over the text as you would when it's layed out normally.

lEX5m.jpg

nw0hJ.jpg

FgNVM.jpg

Oc3o2.jpg

p7t79.jpg

EPzyN.jpg

We'll all be able to read each of these without too much trouble, but I know one of them is not just easy to read, but effortless. You don't even really need to focus your eyes on the correctly orientated one to be able to read what it says.

How is expecting terrain editing 'batshit insane'? It's a logical extension.

Lol at bold. Wtf.

Its not a logical extension its a logical evolution It would push forge beyond what it currently is into a full on map maker. It currently sits in the middle void between editor and maker.

Its batshit insane because its not as simple as flicking a switch its going to require a huge time investment and likely a engine rework to get something like that up and running and considering the wealth of content within Halo 4 its out of the realms of reasonable expectations.

Halo 5 i can see it but it was never something i was under the illusion would be included in Halo 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom