• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
fuck forge. remove that shit.
halo 3 and reach left a terrible impression and i dont want to have to play on these maps ever again:
The_Cage_(Halo_Reach).png

paradiso-halo-reach-maps.jpg

utah.jpg
not to mention maps from halo 3: smashed, octoplex, anvil (couldnt find pictures).

if this is the quality that we are to expect in halo 4, i say fuck forge.

You can only play on a lego set for so long before things get old.

I mean, even back in Halo 3, the best forge maps were pretty bad. Forge is great for like, mini-games and crap.

Let's look at Amplified, for example.

Amplified was a total sack of shit.

Blueblur1

They have 3 environments, they show us the one that looks like Forge World and show us more gray objects. I don't get it. The biggest complaint from people who played Forge maps in Reach was the fact that they all look the same and now they show us even more of the same. Why would you do that?
It is my honest opinion that the people making the marketing decisions really don't know what the hell they're doing. There's be multiple times were misinformation made the rounds and wasn't cleared up for months (talking about perks, tactical packages, whatever they're called) and then there's shit like this. Maybe they should call Bungie for some pointers.

Overdoziz

Banned
Aren't you jumping to conclusions that all the maps from now on will be grey? I get your point, but stop acting like a little baby that needs to be pandered to.

Even with they enviroment they showed off, it showed a huge improvement which of cource gets undermined because of "Look at all that grey hurr durr".
What? I didn't say all the maps will look gray again. I said all the Reach Forge maps look gray and the first thing the show of Halo 4 Forge is more gray stuff with practically the same environment. Seems like a very poor way of showing off Halo 4 Forge.

Love how the most people are overreacting without trying it out. We have never seen the UI in full action because no one really used it. Of course it looks like something for a touch screen but at the end we can only judge because of a screencap. And I do not know a video where we saw the UI in motion.

Oh yeah for the most people I am slurping at this moment. Even I do not know why. So. I like my ice cream.

This "remove forge" bullshit is fucking hilarious, seriously be even remotely logical for a second children.

Even if 99% of the forge maps are dog shit tier someone somewhere is going to like them. I agree that every matchmaking playlist does not need to be filled with maps that look like they got expelled from Gollum's ass but at the same time to remove it would do more harm than good. Its not like you would get something in its place it would just be gone.

The issue is over saturation of forge maps in matchmaking not forge itself, with the improvements Halo 4 is bringing the maps are already going to look more detailed and diverse the only remaining issue is keep the forge maps in MM to only AMAZING tier maps.

TheOddOne

What? I didn't say all the maps will look gray again. I said all the Reach Forge maps look gray and the first thing the show of Halo 4 Forge is more gray stuff with practically the same environment. Seems like a very poor way of showing off Halo 4 Forge.
And I agree with that, but my point is you're overreacting and focusing too much on "look at the grey". Heck huge improvements in functionality and 2 more eviroments are nothing to scoff at, but then again you have always avoided the good stuff so it should not suprise me.

You're just trying to channel Kyle, without any of the substance and truth behind it.

This "remove forge" bullshit is fucking hilarious, seriously be even remotely logical for a second children.

Even if 99% of the forge maps are dog shit tier someone somewhere is going to like them. I agree that every matchmaking playlist does not need to be filled with maps that look like they got expelled from Gollum's ass but at the same time to remove it would do more harm than good. Its not like you would get something in its place it would just be gone.

The issue is over saturation of forge maps in matchmaking not forge itself, with the improvements Halo 4 is bringing the maps are already going to look more detailed and diverse the only remaining issue is keep the forge maps in MM to only AMAZING tier maps.

brings back memories of squad slayer. no armor lock, no forge. the perfect playlist for reach.

Gui_PT

Love how the most people are overreacting without trying it out. We have never seen the UI in full action because no one really used it. Of course it looks like something for a touch screen but at the end we can only judge because of a screencap. And I do not know a video where we saw the UI in motion.

Oh yeah for the most people I am slurping at this moment. Even I do not know why. So. I like my ice cream.

Schadenfreude: German word

Yep

Overdoziz

Banned
And I agree with that, but my point is you're overreacting and focusing too much on "look at the grey". Heck huge improvements in functionality and 2 more eviroments are nothing to scoff at, but then again you have always avoided the good stuff so it should not suprise me.

You're just trying to channel Kyle, without any of the substance and truth behind it.
Huge improvements in functionality? The magnet system is nice but unless you can actually move a group of objects at the same time it's not all that great and you can do pretty much the same with coordinates in Reach. The player trait zones seem like something that would rarely be used in normal maps (unless you're into low-grav sections). Really cool for mini-game maps, though.

There are some improvements but I wouldn't call them "huge". Even the improvements between Halo 3 Forge and Reach Forge we're much bigger.

Even when you are explaining it in your next post. Still.
Just poking fun at the fact that they show us more gray after so many complaints.

TheOddOne

Huge improvements in functionality? The magnet system is nice but unless you can actually move a group of objects at the same time it's not all that great and you can do pretty much the same with coordinates in Reach. The player trait zones seem like something that would rarely be used in normal maps (unless you're into low-grav sections). Really cool for mini-game maps, though.

There are some improvements but I wouldn't call them "huge". Even the improvements between Halo 3 Forge and Reach Forge we're much bigger.
Yes, you could do the same stuff in Forge now. Then again, it still would be a pain to do compared to the improvements. Either way, undermining them now seems way to be a kneejerk reaction. Getting those tools in more capable hands will of cource boost map making.

IMO functionality brings tons to the table.

They have 3 environments, they show us the one that looks like Forge World and show us more gray objects. I don't get it. The biggest complaint from people who played Forge maps in Reach was the fact that they all look the same and now they show us even more of the same. Why would you do that?

This is something that made me scratch my head as well. It just seemed as if the whole presentation was an afterthought really.

Overdoziz

Banned
Yes, you could do the same stuff in Forge now. Then again, it still would be a pain to do compared to the improvements. Either way, undermining them now seems way to be a kneejerk reaction. Getting those tools in more capable hands will of cource boost map making.
Aligning objects in Reach was never really a big issue so adding a magnet system is nice but not exactly something I will go crazy over. It's not a huge step like being able to phase objects and place them in mid-air going from 3 to Reach. That saved hours of works.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
The best improvement for Halo 4's Forge has to be the fact that they redid every individual geometry piece to bring it up to the standards seen in proper multiplayer and campaign spaces. Combine that with the lighting and promised varied environments and grey, samey maps should be a thing of the past.

Blueblur1

That single player better be fan-fucking-tastic if they had to farm out Forge to outside developer. Makes me wonder why Hoberman even bothered to create Certain Affinity if 90% of the work they do is on Halo.

Talents

Banned
fuck forge. remove that shit.
halo 3 and reach left a terrible impression and i dont want to have to play on these maps ever again:

not to mention maps from halo 3: smashed, octoplex, anvil (couldnt find pictures).

if this is the quality that we are to expect in halo 4, i say fuck forge.

Hey, Onslaught was a good map on Halo 3.

Just poking fun at the fact that they show us more gray after so many complaints.

Yeah, I didn't see any improvements worth jizzing over. I look at youtube comments going "OMG HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT!!!!" and I just don't get it. Magnetism is probably the best thing there for map makers, and even that, like you said, doesn't even compare to the leaps and bounds made between H3 and Reach.

TheOddOne

Aligning objects in Reach was never really a big issue so adding a magnet system is nice but not exactly something I will go crazy over. It's not a huge step like being able to phase objects and place them in mid-air going from 3 to Reach. That saved hours of works.
So the lighting engine, the breath of functionality brought in and 3 enviroments are not "huge" improvements? I'm sorry, but that is huge. The presentation didn't reflect that though, but even on paper and the small tidbits we saw they are surely huge additions and nothing to scoff at.

Forge reveal was awesome. I can get over the grey after the new features they have shown off. The sheer amounts of whitespace on the bases really hints at more colour.

Sorry, more gray.

Conor 419

Banned
Thing is, if they added custom game browsing it'd completely rejuvenate the Halo experience entirely. Popular forge maps would spread way more quickly amongst the community. Also, the community in general will strengthen through self moderation and stronger communication.

Blueblur1

The best improvement for Halo 4's Forge has to be the fact that they redid every individual geometry piece to bring it up to the standards seen in proper multiplayer and campaign spaces. Combine that with the lighting and promised varied environments and grey, samey maps should be a thing of the past.
So you're saying that what was a base level expectation of Forge in Halo 4 is the best improvement? Good job, Certain Affinity! Lol It supports my argument that Halo 4 Forge is just Forge 2.1. It is a total afterthought compared to everything else they're trying to do with the game. Just like the UI.

Thing is, if they added custom game browsing it'd completely rejuvenate the Halo experience entirely. Popular forge maps would spread way more quickly amongst the community. Also, the community in general will strengthen through self moderation and stronger communication.

Hahahaha, not this shtick again surely.

Overdoziz

Banned
So the lighting engine, the breath of functionality brought in and 3 enviroments are not "huge" improvements? I'm sorry, but that is huge. The presentation didn't reflect that though, but even on paper and the small tidbits we saw they are surely huge additions and nothing to scoff at.
You said there were huge improvements in functionality. That has nothing to do with more environments and a better lighting system.

On a semi-related note; I do hope they add something similar to what Trials Evo has with a list of top Forge maps. Maybe add categories. Top 10 Competitive 4v4 maps, Top 10 Minigame maps etc. Would be really cool.

Talents

Banned
Like in March, Frankie said 'Storm before the calm' when everyone was hating over what was just revealed, what was the 'calm'...?

Dynamic lighting is a god sent feature but again, they decided to show us grey FW... they'd have show us covenant FW (space skybox, midship/heretic forge pieces...) and I'd be blown away but no, they showed a smaller FW than Reach's with upscaled and re-textured old FW pieces.

On a semi-related note; I do hope they add something similar to what Trials Evo has with a list of top Forge maps. Maybe add categories. Top 10 Competitive 4v4 maps, Top 10 Minigame maps etc. Would be really cool.
Nah, they all would be naked ladies done with spawn points.

No.

Custom game browsing would reduce the player count in every playlist the majority of custom games would be fat kid on utah mambo and expecting the community to self moderate is beyond the worst thing iv ever seen you post

That single player better be fan-fucking-tastic if they had to farm out Forge to outside developer. Makes me wonder why Hoberman even bothered to create Certain Affinity if 90% of the work they do is on Halo.
Maybe Certain Affinity does enjoy their work with 343i? Another point is to have Halo 4 on their resume is a pretty good thing as independent studio.

Like in March, Frankie said 'Storm before the calm' when everyone was hating over what was just revealed, what was the 'calm'...?
Please. Do not generalize everyone in one group. They are people slurping and like the Halo 4 stuff they have seen like me and Tashi as an example.

TheOddOne

Those things don't make it more functional.
You said there were huge improvements in functionality. That has nothing to do with more environments and a better lighting system.
Well technically they all related and support each other. Environments and the lighting bring support the maps being more distinctive, add the improvements over the tools given then are huge strides made in making it more functional and aesthetically pleasing.

It was a terrible presentation though, the features are there but they way they presented it was ugh.

The game's release

It was a terrible presentation though, the features are there but they way they presented it was ugh.

Definitely got vibes that it was rushed.
From the lackluster reveal/demo to the 5 slide powerpoint presentation.

I'm sure Comic-Con will be a much larger affair.

Overdoziz

Banned
Well technically they all related and support each other. Environments and the lighting bring support the maps being more distinctive, add the improvements over the tools given then are huge strides made in making it more functional and aesthetically pleasing.

I really wish they would've kept Forge under wraps until they could've shown off an environment that doesn't look like FW and a palette that's not a direct copy of Reach's with new textures. :/

Nah, they all would be naked ladies done with spawn points.
There can be a separate "Top 10 'stuff virgins make in Forge'" category.

So, after watching the gameplay on Longbow I couldn't help but notice that the service tags seem to be quite far from the player model. Not only that, but the infamous text on the screen seems very high up. Looking at the gameplay, where the player is focusing is only combat related.

The Ghost has weirdly small projectiles and the hog is funky. Really liked the speed at which the hog's bullets were firing off.

Something that has been on mind regarding Halo 4 lately is how well 343 translates their concepts into the game engine. I always get dissapointed seeing concept of games that never shines through in the final prodict. I think 343 has done a great job with this, and I can't wait to see what some of those concept pieces we saw turn into.

VUywB.jpg

IGtsQ.jpg

I can't wait to see this in game.
xY2hQ.jpg

Anyone else thought the waypoints on the warthog showing which seat was the driver, gunner and passenger were annoying and unnecessary? I know they want to make the game more accessible for new players but that is a tad overkill IMO.

L1NETT

Sorry to be a pain, but where are these games you have all watched.

By internet has been down since that Forge reveal yesterday. Typical BT.

EDIT: Cheers Nando.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom