• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talents

Banned
what-the-fuck-wtf-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-74.gif

Hell yeahhhhhhhh.

Conor 419

Banned
No.

Custom game browsing would reduce the player count in every playlist the majority of custom games would be fat kid on utah mambo and expecting the community to self moderate is beyond the worst thing iv ever seen you post

Oh god, are you really attacking me again after the good sound thrashing I gave you the other day?

You underestimate the popularity of normal gametypes and overestimate the popularity of the niche ones. Are you forgetting that team slayer has always held the bulk of the Halo matchmaking population? So why under a new system would 10's of thousands of people just mindlessly abandon the gametype?

Games like CSS, TF2 and even Halo itself on PC do more than enough to show that people running their own servers has and will always work.

neoism

That user interface looks like it was made for a touch screen, not a controller. It is by far the worst UI a Halo game has had. All they had to do was move over the same style of UI that Reach had along with the Active Roster. They can bring back Sprint and shitty Armor Abilities but they can't copy decent UI design? If Dave Candland were dead, God forbid, he'd be spinning in his grave.

lol worse UI I ever seen

Oh god, are you really attacking me again after the good sound thrashing I gave you the other day?

You underestimate the popularity of normal gametypes and overestimate the popularity of the niche ones. Are you forgetting that team slayer has always held the bulk of the Halo matchmaking population? So why under a new system would 10's of thousands of people just mindlessly abandon the gametype?

Games like CSS, TF2 and even Halo itself on PC do more than enough to show that people running their own servers has and will always work.

And BF3 shows you that custom servers don't always work.

Halo 4 won't have them. Move on already. That never stopped custom games becoming popular before.

Talents

Banned

Halo 4 won't have them. Move on already. That never stopped custom games becoming popular before.

The occasions I do play BF3, I never see anything wrong with them apart from the occasional bootings from admins who you keep owning.

Was there criticism of the BF3 servers? I always liked them myself.

You mean the lack of ability to choose whether I want official DICE servers or User servers? Yeah, that is a huge problem. On consoles at least, Admins post terrible rules with absolutely ridiculous ticket counts, why DICE hasn't offered me the option to simply display only official servers is beyond me.

Conor 419

Banned
You mean the lack of ability to choose whether I want official DICE servers or User servers? Yeah, that is a huge problem.

Aye I can see how that's problematic, but that seems more like a major oversight rather than a time tested flaw of the structure itself.

wwm0nkey

Was there criticism of the BF3 servers? I always liked them myself.

DICE originally cut A LOT of their servers and replaced them with custom ones. They put some of their servers up not too long ago but if you join a custom one expect the following

-Being kicked for doing good
-Being kicked because you killed an admin
-Server banner with either a naked chick/dude or something stupid
-Stupid rules (ex: 5x ticket count for Rush)

Overdoziz

Banned

The biggest problem in BF3 is that there's no way to filter between DICE and private servers.
I still think a custom browser could work fine alongside (a streamlined) matchmaking.

Conor 419

Banned
DICE originally cut A LOT of their servers and replaced them with custom ones. They put some of their servers up not too long ago but if you join a custom one expect the following

-Being kicked for doing good
-Being kicked because you killed an admin
-Server banner with either a naked chick/dude or something stupid
-Stupid rules (ex: 5x ticket count for Rush)

The thing is, 343i aren't DICE. If they're taking a note from Bungie's book then they wouldn't allow this stuff to happen. I doubt the community would allow it either, especially if they can blacklist servers.

TF2 and CSS show that the system works, it just needs to be implemented properly. I think the benefits far outweight the cons.

i vote stalker

not sure what you guys are talking about. got to back my team lol

The TL:DR is

He post's baseless claims that "ODST irreparably damaged the halo brand"

I posted results showing launch day sales for reach were higher than any other halo proving that the brand was unharmed

He dismissed this and wrote it off as good marketing

I say he has no facts to prove his claim

He stops talking about it pretends he "won" the argument.

Wow what a good sound thrashing.

The biggest problem in BF3 is that there's no way to filter between DICE and private servers.
I still think a custom browser could work fine alongside (a streamlined) matchmaking.

I agree it 'could' work. I just don't agree with the idea that custom browsers always work.

Conor 419

Banned
He said that whilst ODST is a good game, Microsoft would never make an 'ODST 2' due to the damage it caused the brand. It was the lowest reviewed title in the series and only halved the sales of its immediate predecessor. Finally it caused a lot of resentment amongst consumers who ultimately compared the value of its features with Halo 3 and Modern Warfare 2 - The two biggest blockbusters of its time.

Fixed

The TL:DR is

He post's baseless claims that "ODST irreparably damaged the halo brand"

I posted results showing launch day sales for reach were higher than any other halo proving that the brand was unharmed

He dismissed this and wrote it off as good marketing

I say he has no facts to prove his claim

He stops talking about it pretends he "won" the argument.

Wow what a good sound thrashing.
If anything reach damaged the halo brand. No halo at Raleigh :(

The thing is, 343i aren't DICE. If they're taking a note from Bungie's book then they wouldn't allow this stuff to happen. I doubt the community would allow it either, especially if they can blacklist servers.

TF2 and CSS show that the system works, it just needs to be implemented properly. I think the benefits far outweight the cons.

I think the console demographic approaches server browsers differently than PC. The server browser is a staple of PC gaming, you learn it to live with it. Console gamers have been treated to matchmaking for years now. Simply select a gametype and bam, matchmaking handles everything else. I've had friends who don't even touch the server browser in BF3 because they don't fully understand it. That's there problem, yes, but they just prefer simplicity.

Conor 419

Banned
I agreed that Halo:Reach also damaged the brand, however this did not negate the fact that ODST had already done so.

Why compare ODST to Halo 3 or MW? That's stupid really.

Because they were priced equally. That is a completely reasonable comparison for a consumer to make. I think your post further shows the damage caused by ODST.

You said it "irreparably damaged the brand" i said it did not.

You cannot prove it did. I can provide sales figures that go directly against your claim.

Stop pretending like you "won" some big debate you posted a stupid statement without ANY evidence and i called you out on it and then you proceeded to backtrack and go off subject.

Its a pointless discussion until you can provide something substantial that shows a direct impact that ODST had on the Halo brand.

Conor 419

Banned
You said it "irreparably damaged the brand" i said it did not.

You cannot prove it did. I can provide sales figures that go directly against your claim.

Stop pretending like you "won" some big debate you posted a stupid statement without ANY evidence and i called you out on it and then you proceeded to backtrack and go off subject.

Its a pointless discussion until you can provide something substantial that shows a direct impact that ODST had on the Halo brand.

Dude, it's the lowest reviewed game in the series. That point alone is irreparable damage to a brand, a brand of which was consistently in the mid nineties.

Launch sales do not mean jack shit, they can easily be attributed to a larger install base. The actual fact is that Halo Reach has not lived up to Halo 3's lifetime sales, and has been outsold by it in the long run. That is a fact

Dude, it's the lowest reviewed game in the series. That point alone is irreparable damage to a brand, a brand of which was consistently in the mid nineties.

Again that says nothing about the brand JUST about ODST.

Launch sales do not mean jack shit, they can easily be attributed to a larger install base. The actual fact is that Halo Reach has not lived up to Halo 3's lifetime sales, and has been outsold by it in the long run. That is a fact

5 years Vs 2 Years.

10 million Vs 7 Million

Reach is a bad game.

If the brand was damaged it would not of seen the largest sales figures to date with its last launch.

TheOddOne

Halo Wars has a 82% metacritic, did it damage the franchise? No, the mainline games still are highly regarded games.

Conor 419

Banned
Again that says nothing about the brand JUST about ODST.

ODST is a part of the Halo brand, are you denying this?

edit

5 years Vs 2 Years.

10 million vs 7 Million

Reach is a bad game.

If the brand was damaged it would not of seen the largest sales figures to date with its last launch.

Five years!!!?? What on earth are you talking about? It took Halo 3 two years to reach 10 million, it has outsold Halo:Reach by definition.

http://n4g.com/news/376678/halo-3-sells-10-million-copies-worldwide#c-2653364

And the fact that the game says fuck you, if you want to play with your friends on the same squad.

Conor 419

Banned
I replaced the link immediately, the point still stands. You cannot disregard a source for absolutely everything, that is called hostile media bias.

Granted Halo 3 reach 10 million after 3 years and Reach has done 7 million in 2 years.

Now look at how Xbox live has changed. Call of duty has seen a huge boost in the period between those to games and virtually every title has seen a hit in the player base because of it.

Couple this with the fact that Reach is regarded by many as the worst multiplayer title and the negative reception it received because of this.

But Conor please tell me more about how ODST hurt the halo brand.

The game still splits you up but it has become much easier to switch teams. Never really have any problem with it any more.

Yea, few small annoyances nothing major. BF3 is good. Badly managed but a fun game.

Still a custom game browser for Halo really seems like a bad idea. Jump into elzar's lobby if you need proof that the community likes to play shit.

JonCha

A friend of mine said yesterday words to the effect of the Halo brans is in the shitter. He said ODST sucked, and Halo 4 is the same game.

Yea, few small annoyances nothing major. BF3 is good. Badly managed but a fun game.

Still a custom game browser for Halo really seems like a bad idea. Jump into elzar's lobby if you need proof that the community likes to play shit.

Lolololol

You shut your mouth, you dirty Hartlepudlian.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom