• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
LoL. I love the SL though. Only cause I really fucking hate vehicles and its the perfect counter to a vehicle.
Just balance the game well, and then you don't have to have the rock, paper, scissors machine that is the Spartan Laser.
I feel like I haven't been on the opposite end of the splazer enough to hate it as much as all of you guys seem to.
Well you rarely see it with Halo 3's netcode, you just spontaneously combust.

Play some Paradiso or Cragmire; You'll learn to love it.

Red Menaces for days!

no, i love shooting the thing. really awesome blast of red light that makes things explode. who wouldn't like that?

the problem is when you are on the other end. cant see it, no indicator, the little red line doesn't always appear. you just explode out of nowhere. its just so frustrating driving a vehicle in halo 3/ sometimes reach.

JackHerer

Netcode, FOV, aiming feels like dragging an anchor through sludge, weapon feedback/feel in Reach is much better IMO, and quitting at this point in the lifecycle is horrifying on H3.

I tried to play Ranked TS with a friend last week: we played 5 games, and won every game due to the entire opposing team quitting out.

I would agree with this. I think this is what I was referring to when I meant the sniper is more satisfying in Reach than H3. The sound and overall feel of the weapon is much better IMO.

As far as difficulty of use, Reach certainly has more auto aim and the hit box for headshots is huge. But H3 though seems to have bigger player models, movement seems slower than Reach (obviously even more so with sprint), and the jump is so floaty that if someone jumps when they are in your sights it's basically an automatic kill for you even if you don't hit the head.

H3 is definitely harder overall though just because headshots are more difficult. The lag doesn't help either.

DeadNames

Banned
no, i love shooting the thing. really awesome blast of red light that makes things explode. who wouldn't like that?

the problem is when you are on the other end. cant see it, no indicator, the little red line doesn't always appear. you just explode out of nowhere. its just so frustrating driving a vehicle in halo 3/ sometimes reach.

I wouldn't know... Very seldom do I drive vehicles.

The IP address assigned to your Xbox might have changed. You can setup your 360 to always have the same IP address. You might want to check to make sure the ports you forwarded are still going to the IP address that is given to your 360 by your router.

That makes no sense. You can't port forward unless the xbox IP and DNS are static. If so it should never change. Last resort to get a open NAT after all other options is too set your xbox's static Ip outside the routers DMZ. It will open your NAT.

Havok

Well you rarely see it with Halo 3's netcode, you just spontaneously combust.
This is the case in Reach as well. A pixel-thin tracer that you'll see for about half a second before you explode (any good laser-er won't charge with the reticule actually on the vehicle specifically so you can't see it coming) is really terrible warning.

People have made the case a lot in here for the Grenade Launcher as the best addition to the sandbox in the series, but for my money, the Plasma Launcher is the most important addition--a small but significant distinction. It's easily the best (but not most effective) antivehicle weapon in the series, period. Doesn't have an incredibly fast travel time and pinpoint locking like H2 rockets, isn't a highly effective sniper rifle capable of crossmapping both infantry and vehicles like the laser, requires at least some effort by the attacker to get a multi-kill. Both the weapon charging and the projectiles have a loud, distinct sound associated with them to aid the driver of a vehicle, and the shot is slow enough that cover can be found, but only if the driver is good at his job. Halo is cat and mouse gameplay at its core, and this is the first time they've managed to scratch that itch in the vehicle sandbox.

Then they brought the Laser back instead.

Yep, whoever mentioned BLOPS2 MP news tomorrow appears to be correct,

From their facebook page:

Blops Facebook said:
Here's Charlene, hanging out with our Vehicles Team, flirting with some of the other drones and advanced robotics. Frankly, she's feeling a little insulted that the Mars rover is getting so much attention right now...but that's beside the point, because right now, she's trying to get a sneak peek of tomorrow's MP news...

And whoever mentioned that Blops 1 was great, I actually agree, before last week I havent played cod in like 2 years, but I really have been enjoying Blops a lot more than Reach lately. Having a Halo LAN with some buddies tomorrow, CE-Reach, should be fun, first time playing Halo in a few weeks which should be nice to get back into. Probably on pace for the longest I've gone without playing Halo since Halo 2 lol

Just balance the game well, and then you don't have to have the rock, paper, scissors machine that is the Spartan Laser.

Umm to balance vehicles they would be no fun to use...

Think about balancing vehicles. Think about people outside just spawned. Now how would it be balanced against a vehicle?

To balance:
1. Vehicle must move same speed as person on ground
2. Turret must kill in about same time as a 4-6 shot DMR (Or whatever starting weapon is)
3. Vehicle must die in about 4-6 DMR shots (Starting weapon)

Then a vehicle would be balanced for the current sandbox. That would be so stupid. Like just bonkers crazy and not fun at all.

The point of a vehicle is you get a boost to all these stats like speed, damage, armor, maneuverability, objective carrying.

You take these advantages knowing you now are a huge big target for instant death and being shit on.

Its the risk reward balance that makes vehicles work inside a sandbox.

Play some Paradiso or Cragmire; You'll learn to love it.

Red Menaces for days!
Doesn't not compute.
This is the case in Reach as well. A pixel-thin tracer that you'll see for about half a second before you explode (any good laser-er won't charge with the reticule actually on the vehicle specifically so you can't see it coming) is really terrible warning.

People have made the case a lot in here for the Grenade Launcher as the best addition to the sandbox in the series, but for my money, the Plasma Launcher is the most important addition--a small but significant distinction. It's easily the best (but not most effective) antivehicle weapon in the series, period. Doesn't have an incredibly fast travel time and pinpoint locking like H2 rockets, isn't a highly effective sniper rifle capable of crossmapping both infantry and vehicles like the laser, requires at least some effort by the attacker to get a multi-kill. Both the weapon charging and the projectiles have a loud, distinct sound associated with them to aid the driver of a vehicle, and the shot is slow enough that cover can be found, but only if the driver is good at his job. Halo is cat and mouse gameplay at its core, and this is the first time they've managed to scratch that itch in the vehicle sandbox.

Yeah the Plasma Launcher is a very good anti-vehicle weapon. Too bad they couldn't find a happy medium between the beta and final for anti-infantry though.

Think about balancing vehicles. Think about people outside just spawned. Now how would it be balanced against a vehicle?

To balance:
2. Turret must kill in about same time as a 4-6 shot DMR (Or whatever starting weapon is)

Then a vehicle would be balanced for the current sandbox. That would be so stupid. Like just bonkers crazy and not fun at all.

The point of a vehicle is you get a boost to all these stats like speed, damage, armor, maneuverability, objective carrying.

You take these advantages knowing you now are a huge big target for instant death and being shit on.

Its the risk reward balance that makes vehicles work inside a sandbox.

You are trolling right?

Obviously I don't think balance means vehicles should move the same speed as person on ground.

willow ve

To balance:

Nah - to balance all that you just need ARMOR LOCK
please no. just. please. no.

KdMgMan

47b9a1d8225d34126f5454dceebe5e95.png

3376a03b60937210e11ddb43f54a7463.png

found this on some forum. i wonder if its legit

Ken

http://gyazo.com/47b9a1d8225d34126f5454dceebe5e95.png[img]
[img]http://gyazo.com/3376a03b60937210e11ddb43f54a7463.png

Couldn't I just name a bunch of zipped files of moé as secret Halo 4 stuff and spread it around the internet as legit.

47b9a1d8225d34126f5454dceebe5e95.png

3376a03b60937210e11ddb43f54a7463.png

Call me crazy but why does the memory jump from v1 to v2 like that?

And the Halo 2 emblem in the file icon.

And the 20 minutes between each file.

And the inconsistent naming convention.

You actually hurt my head.

Just wanted to say that this is a great post.

Edit: Pro-pipe IS the best addition ever, by the way.

Doesn't not compute.

Yeah the Plasma Launcher is a very good anti-vehicle weapon. Too bad they couldn't find a happy medium between the beta and final for anti-infantry though.

You are trolling right?

Obviously I don't think balance means vehicles should move the same speed as person on ground.

Well thats what balance means. When two things are equal so they balance out. I'm just saying thats what balance would be. Which is why you cant balance the game like you suggested. You just need a sortof hard balance.

One thing I learned is all those "Lockon shoot projectile" weapons dont work. The rocket pod in h3, the plasma launcher in halo reach. The people just drive the vehicle behind something or they fail to follow the vehicle. Especially in the hands of a pro. Gamesager doesn't get fucked up by plasma launchers. No, you need a hard good weapon to destroy a vehicle instantly.

I think the SL has a perfect place in any Halo sandbox.

Just imagine what it could of been with Reach's netcode.
The "netcode" people keep comparing between Halo 3 and Reach has almost nothing to do with the programming code that controls network functionality, and mostly everything to do with gameplay and engine changes that make the game more reliable (i.e. more accurate, hitscan weapons, client-side accuracy mechanics like bloom, and other engine changes like artificial friction, not networking ragdolls, et cetera).

Well thats what balance means. When two things are equal so they balance out. I'm just saying thats what balance would be. Which is why you cant balance the game like you suggested. You just need a sortof hard balance.

One thing I learned is all those "Lockon shoot projectile" weapons dont work. The rocket pod in h3, the plasma launcher in halo reach. The people just drive the vehicle behind something or they fail to follow the vehicle. Especially in the hands of a pro. Gamesager doesn't get fucked up by plasma launchers. No, you need a hard good weapon to destroy a vehicle instantly.

I think the SL has a perfect place in any Halo sandbox.

I never suggested that.

Risk and reward is very important to balance, and things being "equal" is not what I consider to be balance. There are tons of things that go into balance of various sandbox elements of a game like Halo. Suggesting the idea that a vehicle has equal attributes to an infantry player is simply absurd.

I think the Laser is a poor weapon because it is not a weapon that creates an interesting combat scenario between a vehicle and someone attempting to take out a vehicle. There is absolutely no depth to it at all, it's simply there is a warthog, if I have a laser, the warthog is destroyed. Rock, paper, scissors.

FyreWulff

Laser + Cragmire > Oddballs and Swordbases

I'm working on updating it in a while. So far I'm going to bump up the respawn time a bit, and the Max Runtime will be 2 instead of 3. Did that change last night actually.

Also I deleted one of the Rocket Launchers near the middle of the map.

Computron

Code:
BTB HEAVIES ON CRAGMIRE.

A STRANGE GAME.
THE ONLY WINNING MOVE IS
NOT TO PLAY.

HOW ABOUT A NICE GAME OF ZUGZWANG?

Lol.

The "netcode" people keep comparing between Halo 3 and Reach has almost nothing to do with the programming code that controls network functionality, and mostly everything to do with gameplay and engine changes that make the game more reliable (i.e. more accurate, hitscan weapons, client-side accuracy mechanics like bloom, and other engine changes like artificial friction, not networking ragdolls, et cetera).

Someone's been to the Bugie.net publications section.

JackHerer

On the subject of vehicles, I've seen many people complain about how vehicles have independent health and can be taken out by DMR, Sniper, etc. Personally I think this is totally fair. Particularly in the case of the Banshee. Even with this feature it is still OP IMO.

What are these complaints about? Maybe it's just because I don't particularly like driving vehicles that I am in favor of this feature. The only time I use vehicles is to run the objective.

Don't get me started on the gauss hog which is the most unbalanced thing in any of the Halo games.

Havok

http://gyazo.com/47b9a1d8225d34126f5454dceebe5e95.png[img]
[img]http://gyazo.com/3376a03b60937210e11ddb43f54a7463.png

From what I could find with a quick search, c_010_sm.blf is a Reach file.
Just wanted to say that this is a great post.
Thanks!
Gamesager doesn't get fucked up by plasma launchers. No, you need a hard good weapon to destroy a vehicle instantly.
I'll just respond to this, because we fundamentally disagree on your other points, but the reason Gamesager doesn't get killed by the plasma launcher is because Bungie made an astoundingly horrible decision by erasing the weapon lock when the Banshee does an aerial maneuver. It is nearly impossible to get a rocket or PL kill on a Banshee because they fucked that vehicle up so badly.

Wait for the fans excitement to find out that BLOPS2 has 1-50 ranking system a la Halo 2 and 3.

I hope that happens. Then we'll get 1-50 back for Halo!

Netcode, FOV, aiming feels like dragging an anchor through sludge, weapon feedback/feel in Reach is much better IMO, and quitting at this point in the lifecycle is horrifying on H3.

I tried to play Ranked TS with a friend last week: we played 5 games, and won every game due to the entire opposing team quitting out.

Can't be worse than Reach. Those Halo 3 parties Elzar was running the other week had surprisingly little quitting, though we played social exclusively.

It was objectively underused though.

I never suggested that.

Risk and reward is very important to balance, and things being "equal" is not what I consider to be balance. There are tons of things that go into balance of various sandbox elements of a game like Halo. Suggesting the idea that a vehicle has equal attributes to an infantry player is simply absurd.

OMG thats my point. Because this idea is so crazy stupid. You need to have something like the Spartan Laser in the game. That way vehicles will trump infantry and an infantry who has the Laser somehwere is going to trump the vehicle.

All I know is I dont want another round of Reach where Scorpions and Wraiths go +30 every game shooting mortar shots hundreds of feet away from any real danger, occasionally getting pinged by round after round of DMR and laughing at their shield bar still being 75% filled.

Anyways heres my suggestions to vehicle balance. They should have done this in Reach during a patch upgrade.

Remove Banshee bomb in MP.
Add Banshees flips and rolls to its thruster energy supply.
Scorpion + Wraith shell shots slowed a bit. Those powerful shots just come out too rapidly.

Enfinit

I'm working on updating it in a while. So far I'm going to bump up the respawn time a bit, and the Max Runtime will be 2 instead of 3. Did that change last night actually.

Also I deleted one of the Rocket Launchers near the middle of the map.

Not bad. I actually enjoy the Laser, it's one of the few maps that takes advantage of it.

Computron

I wonder how you see the sniper rifle given this viewpoint?
I don't think the splaser is perfect, but like the sniper or any power weapon, it is a tactical advantage that should be fought over and captured before your team decides to take the risk going out into the open or otherwise face the consequences.
The strengths of the splaser could be lessened though, I would agree.
The Plasma launcher kinda seems way too weak on the other hand.

zap

I have a confession...

I used to really enjoy BTB Splockets on Sandtrap in Halo 3. I felt like a Jedi with the laser... So good.

I had to get that off my chest.

I have a confession...

I used to really enjoy BTB Splockets on Sandtrap in Halo 3. I felt like a Jedi with the laser... So good.

I had to get that off my chest.

Splockets was real fun. Sometimes the game got laggy though and you never knew if they were about to laser you or not.

Havok

I wonder how you see the sniper rifle with this viewpoint. I don't think the splaser is perfect, but like the sniper or any power weapon, it is a tactical advantage that should be fought over and captured before your team decides to take the risk going out into the open or otherwise face the consequences.
The key difference for me is that the sniper is hitting much smaller targets for an instant kill, doesn't have a giant beam that (at the very least in Halo 3) was practically a shotgun of smaller beams, and isn't capable of getting multi-kills for each shot.

I mean, we could take the "anybody can control it and it should be factored in" argument to the extreme with an example of a souped up UT Redeemer that obliterates a quarter of the map and it would theoretically hold. Something like that might be balanced in a technical and rhetorical sense, but that doesn't preclude it from not being any fun to go up against. When I'm killed by the Laser without any warning, it's annoying. When I'm killed with the Plasma Launcher because I failed to react properly, I realize there was something I could do to avoid it, just as there was something the attacker could do to counter my evasion.

I've got about 200 kills with the PL in just under 300 Big Team games. Considering it's on what, three maps in that playlist, I don't think it needs a boost. It's situational, and has to be treated as such. The laser, on the other hand, generalizes extremely well to infantry. Expanding on what I wrote earlier, the Plasma Launcher lends itself very well to ambush situations, but in a good way: the ambusher has to be within a reasonable distance for it to work. The laser is a crossmap ambush: you could be rounding your own base and get blasted to hell instantly from theirs.

FyreWulff

I didn't even know my Canadian roommate had one of the Reach PAX posters signed.

yCGSc.jpg

Who was the Ken that spelled his name with Reach's logo? :lol

OMG thats my point. Because this idea is so crazy stupid. You need to have something like the Spartan Laser in the game. That way vehicles will trump infantry and an infantry who has the Laser somehwere is going to trump the vehicle.

All I know is I dont want another round of Reach where Scorpions and Wraiths go +30 every game shooting mortar shots hundreds of feet away from any real danger, occasionally getting pinged by round after round of DMR and laughing at their shield bar still being 75% filled.

Anyways heres my suggestions to vehicle balance. They should have done this in Reach during a patch upgrade.

Remove Banshee bomb in MP.
Add Banshees flips and rolls to its thruster energy supply.
Scorpion + Wraith shell shots slowed a bit. Those powerful shots just come out too rapidly.

I disagree on its need. Why aren't rockets, grenades, plasma launchers, brute shots/concussion rifles/railgun, and EMP (plasma pistol and grenade launcher) enough for players to try to take out vehicles? Balance that combat adequately, and then you have vehicle vs infantry combat that is actually varied and interesting instead of just "warthog always wins in X situation, and dude with Y weapon always wins against warthog".

Agreed on your suggestions for the banshee. As for the Scorpion and Wraith, I don't think they ever worked well in MP (well Wraith is decent, but the Scorpion should just not be in MP.)

FyreWulff

Its probably a botnet file that will enslave your PC. That is a classic way to spread on fools.

If it was an actual .map from Halo 4, and the person was smart enough to extract said .map from Halo 4, they'd also have all the tag information and assets from it and a way to make them viewable.

Basically what I'm saying here is basically most of Halo 4's stuff would be contained in that, and someone sitting on that wouldn't do something as quaint as just screenshotting a directory.

But alas, that person has Halo 2 Vista installed and has .maps associated with it instead of the Halo 1 tools, and Halo 2 is the worst Halo game to mod on ever, so that gives me a hint at their skill level.

I don't know why I'm fighting like mad to make it to the grav lift in T&R in Halo Legendary. There's no way I'm making it out of the first room alive. :/

Just shoot. SHOOT EVERYWHERE.

Ken Taya probably, the K's look similar on the pic I have signed...

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom