• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadders

I've cancelled my trip to GC, not sounding like there's going to be any Halo so my desire to attend has evaporated.

Putting all my eggs in the Eurogamer basket now.

Computron

Now make a gif of it being dragged to the recycling bin, then a picture of a 343 employee smiling at their computer.

Lol-Ranks.gif

Ellis is most likely the wrong guy for this (Sorry, love you) but I don't got any names or pictures off hand for "Multiplayer Investment Leads."

I disagree on its need. Why aren't rockets, grenades, plasma launchers, brute shots/concussion rifles/railgun, and EMP (plasma pistol and grenade launcher) enough for players to try to take out vehicles?

All that does work, occasionally. Its also all pretty close-range stuff. As long as vehicles keep their distance most of that stuff becomes useless. I mean at the casual level thats enough. Once people go pro in vehicles though...they arent going to lose to that stuff generally.

All that does work, occasionally. Its also all pretty close-range stuff. As long as vehicles keep their distance most of that stuff becomes useless. I mean at the casual level thats enough. Once people go pro in vehicles though...they arent going to lose to that stuff generally.

That's why you have to carefully find that balance for the vehicles, so you don't have stuff like the Reach banshee.
Lol-Ranks.gif

Ellis is most likely the wrong guy for this (Sorry, love you) but I don't got any names or pictures off hand for "Multiplayer Investment Leads."

lol so good

FyreWulff

Not bad. I actually enjoy the Laser, it's one of the few maps that takes advantage of it.

Yeah, they're staying on there, just tweaking them a bit. The one on the pipe-catwalk is also being moved more towards the end of the catwalk so it's easier for Falcons to spot it being picked up.

Swarmerr

All valid points, but the problem then isn't the ranks. It's matching the skill level when you go into matchmaking. So if ranks are hidden but you get the same result of getting matched with people of equal skill, wouldn't all the rest of what you said still apply? I personally wouldn't mind either way if ranks are visible or not. I try to play my best every time regardless of my rank being shown to me or not. But, hey if people want a number by there name, then have your numbers.

At the VERY LEAST I want to see what my personal skill based rank is. Basically I want to evaluate how well I am playing and at what skill level I am at. Having everyone's rank be shown would give me peace of mind that true skill is working. (aka not like halo reach) If I am not matched up against EQUALLY skilled opponents in halo 4, I don't even know...

Well I sure as hell ain't letting 343 adopt my children.

QFT

Okay, but you should realize that most of the people in this thread advocating a 1-50 ranking system are. That's why you're getting the responses you see--not saying it's fair.

Also, the Starcraft 2 ranking system has a lot fewer variables to consider than traditional Halo ranking systems. But I agree with you that there is something better that can be achieved for Halo. In my opinion, Halo: Reach Arena's overarching flaw was that it did not give players adequate timely feedback.

So the bold is why I hate halo reach's arena system. Reach's arena system feels so detached compared to 1-50. I personally cannot stand having to play for a whole day only to wait till the next day to figure out if I moved up or down in the arena percentile. At least with 1-50 if I won or lost I knew what my level was after each game and whether I had moved up, down, or stayed the same.

Pop

So watching my friend play MLG on my account is like watching a new born about to walk for the first time. Amusing

Imagine how prevalent DDOSing would be if there was a win/loss ranking system like 1-50.
I know a guy who will lag people out if he is losing in Reach, and that isn't even ranked.

You can just pay to have access to a botnet to lag out people.
It would be terrible.

Ken

Imagine how prevalent DDOSing would be if there was a win/loss ranking system like 1-50.
I know a guy who will lag people out if he is losing in Reach, and that isn't even ranked.

It would be terrible.

So like standby in Halo 2.

Overdoziz

Banned

It would be terrible.
Ban the guy's 360. There, done.

It would be terrible.

You should tell that guy he is a giant doucher and he should GFH.

From what I could find with a quick search, c_010_sm.blf is a Reach file.

Its the image displayed on the menu for the map, You know those little thumbnails, pretty sure those and .blf files. They existed in Halo 3 aswell.

C_010 is likely the map designation and the _SM tag is likely the smaller version of the image.

Its not the file from reach that is 29kb

However, C_010 is the first level of the game. (The opening cutscene actually, like arrival)

c_M10.blf would be the first actual campaign mission
M_10 would be the first multiplayer map in the list
FF_10 would be the first firefight map in the list
SO_S1E1_10 or something would be how Spartan ops content will look.

Basically if the leak is legit the guy has access to the opening movie of campaign and z00_testchamber (not the z00 tag, which imply s its not an actual content map) which would likely be the dev room which has all the textures all the weapons and vehicles and equipment laid out for testing purposes.

Ban the guy's 360. There, done.

You can't really tell who is doing it.
They don't actually flood you from their computer, they use other ones.

I mean they could ban people when the opposite team "quits" frequently against them.
But imagine if that happened in Reach, everyone would be banned for DDOS'ing.

That is why we need dedicated servers, so peoples' IPs would be hidden to the clients.

Computron

Is this old?

Spartan Laser and Sniper Rifle Video

I feel like it must have been posted already, but I didn't see it scanning the last few pages. Sorry if I'm being an idiot.

DAT Splaser Charging ZOOOOOOOM.

The key difference for me is that the sniper is hitting much smaller targets for an instant kill, doesn't have a giant beam that (at the very least in Halo 3) was practically a shotgun of smaller beams, and isn't capable of getting multi-kills for each shot.

I mean, we could take the "anybody can control it and it should be factored in" argument to the extreme with an example of a souped up UT Redeemer that obliterates a quarter of the map and it would theoretically hold. Something like that might be balanced in a technical and rhetorical sense, but that doesn't preclude it from not being any fun to go up against. When I'm killed by the Laser without any warning, it's annoying. When I'm killed with the Plasma Launcher because I failed to react properly, I realize there was something I could do to avoid it, just as there was something the attacker could do to counter my evasion.

I've got about 200 kills with the PL in just under 300 Big Team games. Considering it's on what, three maps in that playlist, I don't think it needs a boost. It's situational, and has to be treated as such. The laser, on the other hand, generalizes extremely well to infantry. Expanding on what I wrote earlier, the Plasma Launcher lends itself very well to ambush situations, but in a good way: the ambusher has to be within a reasonable distance for it to work. The laser is a crossmap ambush: you could be rounding your own base and get blasted to hell instantly from theirs.

I gather that you and me both agree that even at the extreme end of the spectrum with the redeemer example, the argument holds, and that the next logical step is to decide whether the encounter would be more fun with a 'weaker' gun to a certain degree. And like I said, the laser isn't perfect but I think the plasma launcher is going too far. Like most people, I've written it off after a few uses post beta and I feel like a lot of the kills people do get with it now are because they catch people off guard, rather than it being a competent weapon. That thing is less reliable than the glitched TU DMR fyre uncovered recently, what's up with the random nade explosion timers? Then again, I am not really sure how to 'improve' the laser or what would be a better alternative over what we have seen before.

I think that's part of the reason some people don't like BTB. There are a lot of variables and some have the potential to give one team a huge lead and/or slow down gameplay.

I love me some BTB, though.

Also, in my experience a sniper in moderately skill hands is quite a bit more deadly on non-heavies maps than the laser, especially given how most maps have them laid out.

cocamola

Banned
Is this old?

Spartan Laser and Sniper Rifle Video

I feel like it must have been posted already, but I didn't see it scanning the last few pages. Sorry if I'm being an idiot.
The laser seems to be mighty beefy. Just like in Halo 3. I think the key feature is it zooms out when fired, that small touch adds a powerful "feel". Not to mention the sound.
I really felt the Laser in Reach was very underwhelming, it's defiantly a wet flannel.

Woorloog

Banned
I really felt the Laser in Reach was very underwhelming, it's defiantly a wet flannel.

Indeed.
I have no issues with strong laser. But it shouldn't be used on maps with aircraft. It is not as easy to hit a moving 'Hog as it is to hit a Banshee with the laser (especially on hilly terrain).

Only slower, homing weapons on maps with aircraft. Maps with only ground vehicles, the laser is fine.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
JESUS. 368 megs for 13 seconds with banding up the wazoo.

Why are the leakers allways so bad at videos? You could make a .gif of that same resolution smaller in file size, which would also still be a terrible idea.

Sounds like Black Magic Intensity Pro numbers right there lol. I have whole matches on my HDD that are like 20gbs lol. Quality is fucking bananas though. I really do have to learn how to compress the videos though.

Sounds like Black Magic Intensity Pro numbers right there lol. I have whole matches on my HDD that are like 20gbs lol. Quality is fucking bananas though. I really do have to learn how to compress the videos though.

Me to iv never found a good method to keep quality.

Noricart

Ranks.gif
Gonna have to post this after the time I spent doing it :
Well Bungie had nice weapon switch times during the beta for Reach and them nerfed the shit out of that. History with the little stuff like switch times has made me bitter, hopefully 343 proves me wrong.
Remember when they denied that grenades were op? Then continued to say they nerfed nades by reducing their power by one point? Or the claims of "fixing" Sword Base?
Edit: That dude is really desperate.

Computron

I hope you don't get nearly as much banding. I feel like someone dropped me into Deus Ex.
Also is the recorder dropping frames or is that the game?

Sniper sounds pretty cool.

cocamola

Banned
Has anyone noticed in that video that the snipe doesn't "Timing Bloom" when scoped in. Maybe it fires faster zoomed in than out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom