• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Towards the specifically competitive side of things, not entirely.

The MLG footage was sick, I really enjoyed it at first. Then I realized we only really saw the BR and Pro Vision... I like to go over stuff like that, look for subtle nuances in weapons, etc, but we really only saw the BR and DMR. Hoaxer used the Carbine as well, which was nice to see. I think we only saw 2 AAs in that build, 2 gametypes, and 2 maps.

We now know of the Pro Nade, and we have leaked screens of several of the Pro weapons, but not much else has been said in regards to those.

Wasn't it during Reach that a staple of the bulletin was the break down of the game's armory/weapon sandbox? We got something like that, but only for the Rail Gun after nexy made his video on it.

Shake your head all you want, the casual players already have their game, and in my eyes, while I certainly get excited for the casual side of Halo, they're always more complacent and content with whatever their getting.

We haven't even heard about theater yet, something that, if improved enough on, could serve as a mediocre substitute for a spectator mode.

What were the newest things about Forge? The evolution was minimal.

Player zones, magnets, and lighting... The increased budget is whatever, we have no idea if the values of the pieces were increased as well.

So you just want to know more stuff right? The information isn't going to make or break your purchase of the game. Would knowing this stuff now change your opinion of the game once you've spent a substantial amount of time with it?

Here's my problem with 343's marketing, which worries me a lot.

Ever since CoD4 stole the show Halo has been on downhill slump in popularity. Questionable design decisions aside, Reach was still a great game from a proven developer. They hyped it like crazy. Not as much as Halo 3, but close. Halo 3 marketing was the first time I thought video games had finally caught up to movies in terms of their entertainment industry impact. We had huge ads over Times Square, an amazing marketing campaign, Game Fuel, Doritoes, Slurp Slurp Slurpees, Halo 3 launch event was a HUGE thing. It ended up being more popular than some hyped up Hollywood sequel.

So what now?

We have Halo 4, continuing the Master Chiefs legacy. A Halo game with some incredibly robust changes to the formula, not just in MP but in campaign too with the brand new enemies. And, it's being made by an unproven developer.

At this point in the dev cycle my hype levels were through the roof. Best game ever. Best game ever. Best game ever. and I hadn't played it yet.

I don't think there was a single point in the Halo 3 or Reach marketing campaigns when I wasn't slurping over Halo. Reach beta worried me a bit but then they said they were fixing major issues. I believed.

With Halo 4, I feel like I'm in a state of constant worry as far as the multiplayer goes. The only MP hype I get is watching those videos from RTX, E3, SDCC... And then reading the impressions of the people that played it. But soon after, I realize it is a bit of a honeymoon period, and I'm then reminded of all the random elements being introduced, as well as somethings that have been leaked that really worry me.

I agree, it is very weird the way they have handled marketing for Halo 4, especially given this is the beginning of a new trilogy, new threat, etc. I really was hoping the marketing would share the scale of the game, and really go guns blazing. Its awfully quiet compared to Halo Reach and 3.. Hell, even ODST felt 'bigger'. The game looks good, but the way we have been receiving our info hasn't been ideal.. Hopefully this will change, but we are running out of time.

u4iX

All of these have been talked about. Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time answering questions via, twitter, forums, editing and posting podcast all while working to help create Halo 4 along with the rest of the studio. No matter how many questions get answered someone will always come along and shit all over the efforts you make.

Feels bad man.

I'm gonna clarify why I'm expressing my opinions this way, and why it's coming along with BO2's announcements.

I just spent an entire weekend with a group of guys who love Halo, so much so they sacrified their time, money, and pretty much their health to hold a tournament for people who love to compete in the game as well.

We suffered numerous technical difficulties in trying to stream the event, from audio bugging out, to POVs shutting down, to Black Magic Intensities almost frying. One POV for Halo is just not enough for the style of game it is and the casting required to really hype up the matches.

We started out with 4 POVs, out of a planned 8, that required about a 8 second delay of an entirely black screen just to switch POVs on the fly on day one. The reason we couldn't have 8 is because of costs. They couldn't afford all the capture sources, splitters, etc, after purchasing several of those already, along with a PC capable of rendering and streaming that.

The set up for streaming was also extremely BARE BONES compared to that of an MLG event.

The team stayed up until 2 AM trying to resolve stream issues, setting with only 2 POVs on Saturday, with the tournament starting around 9 AM.

Sunday, we were reduced to 1 POV because of audio issues. The team was up until 2 AM again Saturday night, reworking and reorganizing the entire layout for the stream.

The team also had to create their own overlays, etc, all volunteer work.

The people at Arena Gaming, Bonafide Boarding, and Under the Radar busted their asses all weekend for a game they love and love to compete in.

It just really crushed me after seeing what FELT like a succesfull weekend and a step in the right direction with Halo 4 coming up, only to have BO2 release a trailer that's like...

HEY GUYS WHO RUN TOURNAMENTS AND EVENTS, THIS JUST GOT EASIER AND BETTER FOR YOU.

And it's not even like a spectator mode would ONLY be for the competitive community.

"Coaches" can offer advice while spectating a newer player, BTB leagues can run tournaments, Griffball leagues could run tournaments, you could probably even have spectated LIVE "Let's Plays" of campaign, and I know I'd even give my shot at shoutcasting Zombies.

A lot of this is personal frustration seeing things from the competitive side with leagues like MLG, Machinima PLANNING to do events for Halo 4 but being turned away by the fact it has no spectator mode (I could find Fwiz's tweets), so I hope it's understood that I'm in no way speaking for everyone when I vent and pour salt on here.

It's just a personal frustration at seeing the sacrifices people in the competitive Halo community are willing to make for the game, and seeing the competition receive the things we've asked for and then some.

<3

CyReN

I don't think it's 343i fault, it just happens the series they took over had content/news flow that the "hardcore halo community" fans became accustomed to.

hardcore fans = people from casual to competitive who follow halo news.

-----
and with what Frank said above, we do it out of love and not "hate". We want to see Halo strive again and setbacks hurt our side of the community. I'll admit we aren't the biggest by a long shot but we just want a fighting chance. We understand it a issue, and we agree it shouldn't be in the final built, but anything post launch to help us out will be grateful. Competitive Halo is almost dead, Halo 4 is our last shot.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I agree, it is very weird the way they have handled marketing for Halo 4, especially given this is the beginning of a new trilogy, new threat, etc. I really was hoping the marketing would share the scale of the game, and really go guns blazing. Its awfully quiet compared to Halo Reach and 3.. Hell, even ODST felt 'bigger'. The game looks good, but the way we have been receiving our info hasn't been ideal.. Hopefully this will change, but we are running out of time.

I would agree to a point. But remember, most marketing campaigns don't go full scale until closer to launch. I'd guess we will see a bunch of marketing in October. I can't see MS not going all out like they did for 3 here.

Plus, I want some damn GameFuel. :p

GhaleonEB

All of these have been talked about. Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time answering questions via, twitter, forums, editing and posting podcast all while working to help create Halo 4 along with the rest of the studio. No matter how many questions get answered someone will always come along and shit all over the efforts you make.

Feels bad man.

I sympathize, you guys have answered many questions a zillion times. Suggestion: write about those things in some detail in one of the updates (or rather, ask Jessica to do so). When people ask, they can be linked to. Right now most questions are addressed in articles, interviews, tweets, etc. There's relatively little official information on Waypoint, though the Halo 4 site is a good start. Maybe push more of it there?

I remember the awesome days when Bungie would lock the site down with a countdown timer. Sipping on game feul watching the timer. Oh man the hype levels so good. ><

Trey

Ever since CoD4 stole the show Halo has been on downhill slump in popularity. Questionable design decisions aside, Reach was still a great game from a proven developer. They hyped it like crazy. Not as much as Halo 3, but close. Halo 3 marketing was the first time I thought video games had finally caught up to movies in terms of their entertainment industry impact. We had huge ads over Times Square, an amazing marketing campaign, Game Fuel, Doritoes, Slurp Slurp Slurpees, Halo 3 launch event was a HUGE thing. It ended up being more popular than some hyped up Hollywood sequel.

So what now?

We have Halo 4, continuing the Master Chiefs legacy. A Halo game with some incredibly robust changes to the formula, not just in MP but in campaign too with the brand new enemies. And, it's being made by an unproven developer.

At this point in the dev cycle my hype levels were through the roof. Best game ever. Best game ever. Best game ever. and I hadn't played it yet.

I don't think there was a single point in the Halo 3 or Reach marketing campaigns when I wasn't slurping over Halo. Reach beta worried me a bit but then they said they were fixing major issues. I believed.

With Halo 4, I feel like I'm in a state of constant worry as far as the multiplayer goes. The only MP hype I get is watching those videos from RTX, E3, SDCC... And then reading the impressions of the people that played it. But soon after, I realize it is a bit of a honeymoon period, and I'm then reminded of all the random elements being introduced, as well as somethings that have been leaked that really worry me.

Growing pains.

Recarpo

Does anybody have any links or anything about what was released for the marketing of halo 3 90 days before release? I honestly don't remember and I'd be curious to see the comparison of marketing for both games. I imagine when the game goes gold that's when we'll start seeing the marketing step up.

heckfu

Banned
Do people not like to be surprised anymore? Serious question. I kind of don't want to be given everything 3 months in advance because that kind of ruins the experience for me.

I would agree to a point. But remember, most marketing campaigns don't go full scale until closer to launch. I'd guess we will see a bunch of marketing in October. I can't see MS not going all out like they did for 3 here.

Plus, I want some damn GameFuel. :p

That is true, but that really is not the way Halo marketing used to be handled. I feel we should at least have more product exposure by now, so hopefully soon.

And yes, I would kill for something like this again:

S9UH1.jpg

The box and can art was so good, seriously.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got a huge information megaton before release, but it still doesn't/won't change how disappointing the marketing for Halo 4 has been.

Yeah, I expect as much in September-October.. Hopefully they do not go spoiler crazy. Also, agreed.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Game fuel was so awesome. Scored so many 2-liters of it at random events at my school.

Really hoping something like that makes a comeback for Halo 4.

Swarmerr

So what now?

The problem is that we are given tiny pieces of information about various elements and then we all start speculating. We are then told that are speculations are wrong or way off base, but instead of explaining the whole element they only address the one thing that we are off base on, which leads to more questions. I feel 343 would be far better served introducing an element in its entirety, rather than just simply announcing its existence.

CyReN

Do people not like to be surprised anymore? Serious question. I kind of don't want to be given everything 3 months in advance because that kind of ruins the experience for me.

Single player = 30 second trailer at most. The less the better.
Multiplayer = Make me want to buy the game, show off everything.

Halo 3 anyone? Send me a message if anyone is interested. I kind of want to get some semi competitive customs going, ive been slumping for a while, and since screwing up my arm have been pretty crappy, want to try and get some customs going to turn that around!.

Blinding

I'd like to be surprised about campaign, but multiplayer? Not so much, especially after Reach.

GhaleonEB

I love to be surprised by the story. But I'd really like to know what's up with Theater, or the Waypoint integration, or Spartan Ops netcode and matchmaking, or the other new MP game types, or some of the other seven maps, or Forge features, or the investment and progression system, or any new vehicles, or.....

Okay, I'm a greedy bastard. But there are still a huge number of unanswered questions and unrevealed features, which I don't think should be surprises. I'm sure they'll come before launch; they're crunching like hell right now. I'm just so nervous about some aspects of Halo 4, part of me wants to be reassured.

Nobody is asking for them to tell us everything, we still know almost nothing about the game. I personally will not spend 60+ dollars on something I know nothing about. We just want some details.

cocamola

Banned
Halo 3 anyone? Send me a message if anyone is interested. I kind of want to get some semi competitive customs going, ive been slumping for a while, and since screwing up my arm have been pretty crappy, want to try and get some customs going to turn that around!.

GT: coca mola, online now

Swarmerr

Down for sure ill be online.

Feels bad man.

I think stuff being leaked through twitter and forums and podcasts doesnt hit as hard as videos. Yes theres MP gameplay videos but the MP highlight videos are so short right now we have so little to watch or get excited about.

Plus you are facing monster bombs right now with Blops MP video just released and rumors of dedis, and livestreaming.

I just really hope you guys have something to fight back with because you are getting smoked right now.

The best we have is hints at a ranking system. Yes thats right we have just hints that our game might have a ranking system, let alone the one we actually want. Something thats been in most other Halo games.

So good luck.

I just got home and good god what happened since i left? the thread exploded.

Who will our second character in co-op campaign be? Has this been asked or answered?

pretty sure they said its master chief clones again. unless co-op puts everyone but first player as their spartans.

EDIT: beatin by the horse's mouth.

also, can do the tourney tonight, will be on in around an hour and a half.

Tawpgun

As people have said, don't spoil campaign/SpOps, but as far as MP goes I want to know MORE.

We're 3 months from launch, compare what we know now to what we knew with Halo 3 and Reach.

I thought 343 would have made up for the lack of a beta by dumping on information, but they haven't. It might be intentional, it might be due to time constraints. Either way, its disappointing to the consumer.

343: "New Intel Coming Later Today".

-And Then Everyone Starts Losing Their Mindz!-

HALOGAF: "Sweet!" "Yay, When?!" "YUNoExplainAllDis?!" "Blah Blah Blah"
"CoD:BlOps2HazSpectatorMode,YNotHalo?!?"
"/ScumbagDev" "It's Not Their Fault, Chill" "WthHappntoHaloOT?" = Chaos. Is. Fair.

(HaloGAF<3U343)

Talents

Banned

Dammit, if only you asked 20 minutes earlier, playing Diablo with my mate atm.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Online campaign co-op wasn't announced for Halo: 3 until 56 days before launch. Just saying.

I remember this. They were still chuggin away on it. Huge news.

Wasn't there a GAF photoshop with that picture that was posted in the Friday update when online co op was announced?

Nowise10

Aww yeah, still got mine (unopened) from the Halo 3 days. Planning on eating and drinking these in celebration of Halo 4.

...that's pretty gross.

I had a can of gamefuel from Halo 3, but a few months ago, I noticed a big pile of sticky stuff on my shelf, and my Halo 3 can had someone leaked. So I popped a small whole at the bottom, and emptied it out.

Pxl8l.png

Karl2177

Yep, during Spring Showcase in February. All co-op characters in the main campaign will be Chief doppelgangers ala Halo CE and 2.
Oh okay. I liked what Bungie did for Halo 3/Reach where every character is different and has a story behind them.

On a similar note, it would be nice to have some kind of aggregate area to look for things relating to co-op or Forge or whatever else you guys have announced. Similar to how Bungie handled the information releases of ODST and Reach.

ZalinKrow

I like knowing more about MP, sure. But for me a huge part about getting a new Halo game is exploring the new multiplayer maps I hadn't seen before, unlocking armour I'd never seen, trying out how everything feels and just exploring it all in general (forge pieces, weapons, menus, ranks etc.). I feel like a big part about hype is the unknown, so while I like having things to look forward to, I also really like knowing there are a lot more things left to find out when I actually get the game.

I just don't want to feel too much like I've played it already, from knowing practically everything about how it plays beforehand. That's just me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom