• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah, I know. It just goes to show how inconsistent messaging has been. It's confusing and frustrating. We can never be sure what to believe until we hear from 343 directly.

Indeed.

Repost, final post ><
I'd just like to point out that the retail descriptions for the LE never say anything about an exclusive armor, just a skin. I've checked several sites and they all list the same thing:

Armor skin, weapon skin, emblem and avatar prop and armor. No in-game armor.

See picture above. Ingame armor and skin. Armor : recruit
Skin : prime

343i have really outdone themselves on the communication department.

What should i belive?
Fuck this.

Portugeezer

BXaMY.png
LQMnC.png

Beat me ><

tumblr_m3k58aIED71qbx51ho1_250.gif

Hard surface art is my bread and butter.

I prefer the details to be more localized and subtle rather than big painted on pattern and graphic designs over basic noisy diffuse metal textures.

Something like this:

Maybe not the best example as it is a little busy and some details are a little over the top and noisy, but the point is it's got readible details at a variety of frequencies and it's pretty dynamic in terms of materials and reflections adding interest to a pretty simple gun.
And most importantly the gun would fit the Xbox 360 spec pretty well.
It's a pretty cheap shader, average polycount and still manages to have good material definition and really pushes the specular reflections, but I guess it doesn't really fit with Halo 4's style.

If they had the system specs and where really willing to push their guns to the next level, they would need to get some more advanced shaders that could represent the more subtle specular highlight falloff of metals and they various other layers/materials around them.

Here is a turntable of an MP7 made with all these things in mind.

note how the color of the plastics and metals change with the camera and light angles and how much detail is present exclusively from specific angles. You can even see the oil left from the operator's hand.

(Seriously, watch the video, the gun is awesome because of teh detail that pops out when it's in motion)

This requires a much more expensive shader and dynamic object lighting system as well as a whole 'nother multichannel texture to take full advantage, so it is a bit to expensive for most games this gen.

Maybe next gen...

I am still really disappointed in CS:GO's/BF3's and really just this whole gen's weapons from a technical perspective (With the exception of Crysis 2, where they actually do a great job with their hard surface art), but that's another story...

EDIT: For Sources/Credit's click the pictures.

I totally agree about this, and it been something that Halo especially has struggled with.. I really like the AR render you posted, it actually looks like it is made of metal, and its complex without being hard on the eye.

Does it? Because this information is so fucking unclear.

I completely agree, and while it would be logical that the "war games map pack' contents would come with the LE, they havent said as much and its worrying. If the helmets don't come with it Im gonna be pissed.

Sweet, thanks! I actually liked this a lot, and it really restores the hope I lost when the trailer hit.. I still don't like the look of MC, and those ODSTs have huge necks.. But hey, live action ODSTs and MC!

I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case.

Remember the reasoning behind no Legendary edition for Halo 4?

http://www.halopedia.org/Halo_4#Merchandise
"343 Industries has confirmed that there will not be a "Legendary Edition" for Halo 4, citing that they didn't want consumers to have to choose what version-specific ancillary items they'd receive.[95]"

The problem is, this is (arguably) already happening. The LE Console, the LE, the regular edition (if the LE WGMP doesn't include the helmets). And arguably the pre-order bonuses could be counted as well.

Yeah, its incredibly frustrating, I really wish they would have taken a step back and simplified the way to get the digital content.

Why not have both?

5e75127e132dd772d5690399b691a022.jpg
Is that a fried egg in there?

I'm excited about all the visor color options in Halo 4. Now we just need more helmets that actually have visors. And the visor colors aren't tied to specific helmets, right? I'm still a tiny bit unsure of that.
I'm still hoping that the specializations are attachments that potentially cover up the visor (like the plate over the visor for Engineer) and/or give us some visual clue as to what our opponent is using. I'm probably wrong, but at this point it's still fun to speculate over my favorite part of playing a FPS: costumes!!

Slaker117

I think he's reading too much into it. I highly doubt the console armor isn't exclusive, yet the description reads the same.

I'm not reading into anything, just spitting out verbatim what was listed. I get the feeling that the armor is probably exclusive, but that's just a guess. Taking the retail description at face value it isn't, taking the image it is.

DesertFox

Indeed.

Repost, final post ><

343i have really outdone themselves on the communication department.

What should i belive?
Fuck this.

From the MicrosoftStore site http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/pd/Halo-4-Limited-Edition-for-Xbox-360/productID.251269800

Limited Edition includes:

War Games Map Packs: The Limited Edition includes access to nine maps&#8212;three future competitive multiplayer map packs, each including three locations, available for download post-launch on Xbox LIVE

Specializations: Receive early access to six Specializations, available at launch on Xbox LIVE, and use them, one at a time, to achieve higher ranks in your Spartan career. In addition to gaining access to new ranks, Specializations unlock new customization options

The Special Edition of Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn, a 90-minute extended version of the live-action digital series which will take fans back to the terrifying beginning of the Human/Covenant war, when the Master Chief inspired a young cadet who would eventually become a leader aboard the UNSC&#8217;s greatest vessel ever: the UNSC Infinity

Digital content also included:
Bonus in-fiction bonus content expanding the characters and stories of Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn
Special Featurette: Bringing Gaming into Reality
Making of Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn

Bonus digital content through Xbox LIVE:
Unique in-game Spartan IV armor skin
Unique in-game weapon skin for the Assault Rifle
An exclusive in-game emblem
Xbox LIVE Avatar prop*
Xbox LIVE Avatar Spartan IV armor set*
The Limited Edition also contains the UNSC Infinity Briefing Packet which includes a Spartan armor customization schematic, an introduction to the massive ship UNSC Infinity, and insight into what it means to be one of humanity&#8217;s finest warriors: The Spartan-IVs.

many edits to fix sloppy formatting...

I'm still hoping that the specializations are attachments that potentially cover up the visor (like the plate over the visor for Engineer) and/or give us some visual clue as to what our opponent is using. I'm probably wrong, but at this point it's still fun to speculate over my favorite part of playing a FPS: costumes!!

Or better yet, pulsating techno music, so we can 'hear' what specilizations the opponent is wearing.

Huh? Huh?

aj1467

And Gears. God, she's horrible. She publicly admitted to not reading any Halo books, or playing any of the games, and 343 responded by turning over most future Halo books to her.

In summary, FU KT.

Also, the Scanner and Strider helmets look better than most of the rest of what's out there. Still look like crap, but better crap.

I enjoyed the Gears novels. What makes you not like them?

Woorloog

Banned
Thts the same information that is on all sites. That picture is from expert zone.

Wasn't like that when i pre-ordered.
So, i'll save 30&#8364; at least then (for a while, won't buy DLC pass before i know more about the map packs).
Need to find where i can get the regular edition cheaply... and preferrably to arrive by monday instead of tuesday.

EDIT 43&#8364; from VPD... hmm, wonder if can get it more cheaply from anywhere else...

FyreWulff

I think I got this. Stole Ghaleon's spreadsheet idea that he mentioned last year.

9Lv86.png

Also that panel interface on the PAX site is terrible

edit: well of course I didn't see the HBO meetup time before, it was on Facebook :lol

Top Bottom