• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

GhaleonEB

Yeah, I loved ODST because it was a beautiful swan song for the Halo 3 version of the engine. It was like the DLC graphical bump multiplayer maps usually got, but for the first time, also for a campaign. Especially that last level on the highway. That sunset/flooded sky look, the carrier appearing in the clouds and then strafes the city... amazing. Then of course, dmiller had to top himself by having multiple carriers jump into New Alexandria and start glassing it in Reach :lol

But it really was the first time a Covenant capital ship actually INTERACTED with the world you were in. In Halo 1, there was one, but it was scenery (and seemed a bit.. underscaled from the outside). Halo 2 they were all painted into the skybox for most of the game and were barely noticeable in the first level as one flew by. ODST's glassing moment was so suprising because it was the first time one of them actually DID anything while you were playing.

Tsavo Highway in Halo 3, one blasts past overhead from behind about midway through the mission.

What got me at the end of ODST was the sheer scale of the carrier. It was the first time one of the Covenant ships had felt so truly, terrifying massive. I was just gobsmacked the first time I saw it; Bungie figured out how to convey the size of the carriers properly and it really had an impact.

Computron

Forget about nerfing the laser,
they got bigger issues to worry about.
Like the Mancannon/Flag Noob-Combo:

ibsPBWq203qfXU.gif

FyreWulff

Tsavo Highway in Halo 3, one blasts past overhead from behind about midway through the mission.

What got me at the end of ODST was the sheer scale of the carrier. It was the first time one of the Covenant ships had felt so truly, terrifying massive. I was just gobsmacked the first time I saw it; Bungie figured out how to convey the size of the carriers properly and it really had an impact.

Okay, I forgot about that one. And yeah, you really got a sense of the thing's scale, like it was going to fuck shit up and absolutely did not care about your presence at all. I think what helped sell it was how it emerged from the clouds.

Okay, I forgot about that one. And yeah, you really got a sense of the thing's scale, like it was going to fuck shit up and absolutely did not care about your presence at all. I think what helped sell it was how it emerged from the clouds.

And then you look at it in the theater and realize that it just pops out of nowhere, ahead of the clouds.

EFFECT RUINED :(

FyreWulff

And then you look at it in the theater and realize that it just pops out of nowhere, ahead of the clouds.

EFFECT RUINED :(

I ruined the Tsavo Highway one for myself the second time I saw it, because I was like "okay, I'm going to actually watch it come in!"

Then you see it spawn in sidedways first before the script kicks in and orients it in the correct direction.

I ruined the Tsavo Highway one for myself the second time I saw it, because I was like "okay, I'm going to actually watch it come in!"

Then you see it spawn in sidedways first before the script kicks in and orients it in the correct direction.

I hated how Reach scaled stuff in. Like instead of having a dropship fly all the way off into the distance, or fly in from far away, it got to a certain distance and then just scaled itself down or up :\

GhaleonEB

The drama between Marty and Dan today on Twitter was hilarious. Marty had an axe to grind. Sorry Dan!
I hated how Reach scaled stuff in. Like instead of having a dropship fly all the way off into the distance, or fly in from far away, it got to a certain distance and then just scaled itself down or up :\

Apparently you can glitch some of the drop ships so they stay tiny when they get close.

Just noticed grenades give hitmarkers too. Not sure how I feel about that. I don't like "probing" with grenades like in COD.

That's a very interesting point, I don't like the idea of nade probing either, it's going to be interesting to see what affect it has, I imagine Randoms doing a lot more blind nades then rushes across the map to clean up a 1 shot lol. Players who are a bit more restrained could use it to lock down the map to a degree.

FyreWulff

The carrier in Halo 2 does this on Cairo Station, and I believe it's used in a couple of spots in Halo 3 (although I can't remember specific examples offhand) I don't know the actual reason why they did it, and I was discussing this with Ghaleon when we were playing Campaign, but if I were doing that, I'd be doing it to avoid the model having to LOD-pop when it reaches a certain distance away. So you shrink instead to give the illusion (forced perspective) that it's moving away, without having to make it transition to another LOD, so players don't see a jarring 'pop' as it transitions. I dunno. Maybe they had other reasons. There's another separate quirk of their LOD system that I have theories about and can make out occuring on Forge World, but I'd like to get the ear of a Bungie engineer if they're willing to talk about it.

But yeah, there's certain spots where it's really apparent that they're actually shrinking and then all you can think is "THAT PHANTOM IS SHRINKING!!!11". I think it becomes apparent when the engine does the shrink too fast and it looks unnatural.

The drama between Marty and Dan today on Twitter was hilarious. Marty had an axe to grind. Sorry Dan!

Apparently you can glitch some of the drop ships so they stay tiny when they get close.

The trigger conditions must be researched

The carrier in Halo 2 does this on Cairo Station, and I believe it's used in a couple of spots in Halo 3 (although I can't remember specific examples offhand) I don't know the actual reason why they did it, and I was discussing this with Ghaleon when we were playing Campaign, but if I were doing that, I'd be doing it to avoid the model having to LOD-pop when it reaches a certain distance away. So you shrink instead to give the illusion (forced perspective) that it's moving away, without having to make it transition to another LOD, so players don't see a jarring 'pop' as it transitions. I dunno. Maybe they had other reasons. There's another quirk of their LOD system that I have theories about, but I'd like to get the ear of a Bungie engineer if they're willing to talk about it.

But yeah, there's certain spots where it's really apparent that they're actually shrinking and then all you can think is "THAT PHANTOM IS SHRINKING!!!11". I think it becomes apparent when the engine does the shrink too fast and it looks unnatural.

Yeah, I understand the reason behind it. It just always bugged me. The times when it's blatantly obvious are painful, "THAT PHANTOM IS SHRINKING!!!11" is exactly right. Like..hide it better if you're going to do that. You have amazing skyboxes, your clouds are layers upon layers of awesome, and your art department it full of very talented artists..but you choose to shrink a Phantom out in the open? Whyyyyyyyyyy?

FyreWulff

Yeah, I understand the reason behind it. It just always bugged me. The times when it's blatantly obvious are painful, "THAT PHANTOM IS SHRINKING!!!11" is exactly right. Like..hide it better if you're going to do that. You have amazing skyboxes, your clouds are layers upon layers of awesome, and your art department it full of very talented artists..but you choose to shrink a Phantom out in the open? Whyyyyyyyyyy?

Need more stage-clouds. Another topic me and Ghaleon suddenly thought up: In Oni Sword Base, it's mostly Phantoms dropping off troops, except for one Spirit, and it really sticks out that there's a Spirit amidst all the Phantoms dropping troops off. We were trying to think of any other mission that has both Spirits and Phantoms dropping troops off in the same area, and couldn't think of any.

Winter Contingency - Spirits
ONI: Sword Base - Phantoms minus the lone Spirit
Nightfall - Phantoms
Tip of The Spear - Phantoms
Long Night of Solace - Spirits, although space-Phantoms appear in the space battle part, but they're not in the same area
Exodus - I want to say all Phantoms
New Alexandria - Phantoms.
The Package - Phantoms.
The Pillar of Autumn - Phantoms

Some mis-remembering could be going on here, but it was suddenly "wait, why the hell is that one Spirit dropping off troops in between these two Phantoms?"

blamite

Now this I need to see. Would the enemies they drop off be tiny too, like that skirmisher on the roof in Winter Contingency, or jump out and become normal sized, or what? Either way sounds pretty funny.
Need more stage-clouds. Another topic me and Ghaleon suddenly thought up: In Oni Sword Base, it's mostly Phantoms dropping off troops, except for one Spirit, and it really sticks out that there's a Spirit amidst all the Phantoms dropping troops off. We were trying to think of any other mission that has both Spirits and Phantoms dropping troops off in the same area, and couldn't think of any.

Nightfall - Phantoms
Long Night of Solace - Spirits, although space-Phantoms appear in the space battle part, but they're not in the same area
The Package - Phantoms.

Some mis-remembering could be going on here, but it was suddenly "wait, why the hell is that one Spirit dropping off troops in between these two Phantoms?"
Exodus definitely has at least one Spirit: You see some Brutes shooting at civilians from the side bay of a Spirit close to the beginning of the mission. Maybe Spirits were used in cases where the dropship absolutely needs to be indestructible for whatever reason?

Nightfall - Phantoms
The Package - Phantoms.

I..never paid attention to this. That is pretty strange.

Now this I need to see. Would the enemies they drop off be tiny too, like that skirmisher on the roof in Winter Contingency, or jump out and become normal sized, or what? Either way sounds pretty funny.

I completely forgot about this until this post. Damn it...

Seance

Banned
Not sure how old this news is but it seems there are hitmarkers for the nades. Only just noticed on the gameplay Cyren posted from the fan expo.

:(
No big deal but still.

Has anyone made/posted a layout of Haven yet? I think we've seen enough footage of the map that a fairly decent one could be put together.

Not sure how old this news is but it seems there are hitmarkers for the nades. Only just noticed on the gameplay Cyren posted from the fan expo.

:(
No big deal but still.

There is probably hit makers for anything that does damage to an opposing player, consistent design.

Has anyone made/posted a layout of Haven yet? I think we've seen enough footage of the map that a fairly decent one could be put together.

Wraparound.PNG

Haven heat maps from a bulletin

Déjà vu

Not quite what I meant. Heatmaps don't really give much detail. It's an overhead view, but it doesn't show paths, gaps in the bridges, where there are ramps, what the lower level looks like, etc.

Yeh figured.. 'tis all we have thusfar.

Woorloog

Banned

Reminds me of this Seraph thing. EDIT duh, wrong video... kinda, one tutorial had shrunken Seraph, this one doesn't. EDIT actually, this one has a shrunken Seraph too... should watch vids more closely before saying anything... EDIT this is awesome, a marine stole a Seraph http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS82ZFSw9I8

If we still had animated avatars, shrinking Phantom would have made a great one. Especially if looped correctly, first shrinking and then running reverse...

I don't really like the hitmarkers for grenades. probing with grenades isn't fun imo

Grenades are limited(for most people), and Halo is fast-paced and encourages movement anyway. I don't see a problem with a hitmarker for grenades. Do people really go around throwing grenades and going "Oh he's over there"? By the time that person got to "over there" with sprinting, thrusters, jetpack, etc. I doubt the person they ping'd would even be there anyway.

Gazzawa

that probe and nade thing wont be that much of a deal. Since in Halo its if you throw a nade must players will move to avoid the damage and show up on radar.

I miss when Halo was so pretty to look at :(
And the crazy stunts you could do with the sandbox...
Halo 4... beli343.
Don't expect to be able to do stuff like that in Halo 4...unless they've removed it.

Fall damage.
Woah what happened? I saw Marty was really pissed. Or at least the twitter gives me the impression.
Marty more than quadrupled Dan's followers, which Dan doesn't like. Dan's a private person, haha.

I don't think Marty was pissed. It seemed to be a huge joke and/or gentle ribbing. Kind of like making a .gif of Marty dancing, who had tried to interrupt your video in an attempt to be funny, adding hearts to it, and putting it in a game.

Don't expect to be able to do stuff like that in Halo 4...unless they've removed it.

This is what I used to do on Valhalla, on a semi constant basis.

Although, I've never managed to make the flag travel as far as that video shows, usually mine ends up either side of our teams hill.

Fuchsdh

I have noticed that there are places in Reach where dropships, etc. seem to spawn a bit off-- for instance, if you defend the troopers by the garage, the Spirits spawn right next to the far cliffside, when you'd think they could have hidden the spawn by sticking it behind the cliff and have them come in.

Spawning in most Halo games can be rather weird, I'd love a tech/developer doc just about that subject.

JackHerer

That's a very interesting point, I don't like the idea of nade probing either, it's going to be interesting to see what affect it has, I imagine Randoms doing a lot more blind nades then rushes across the map to clean up a 1 shot lol. Players who are a bit more restrained could use it to lock down the map to a degree.

You can already do this "probing" with nades to a certain extent in Reach. When a spartan gets hit by a nade they make a little noise like a gasp or something that can be heard fairly easily if you have a good set of headphones.

It's particularly useful in 1v1s. The hit markers will make this a lot easier to do though, which I'm not sure I like.

Fuchsdh

You can already do this "probing" with nades to a certain extent in Reach. When a spartan gets hit by a nade they make a little noise like a gasp or something that can be heard fairly easily if you have a good set of headphones.

It's particularly useful in 1v1s. The hit markers will make this a lot easier to do though, which I'm not sure I like.

You guys honestly think hit markers is going to make randoms (which I believe is just another word for "newbs") more strategic? They throw grenades to soften people up then rush it. Knowing 100% that they hit someone is not going to change that pattern. They might just throw one less grenade.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I stayed up late last night in hopes that I'll be able to sleep tonight. Flight leaves for Seattle at 6:30 am tomorrow. Will be out the door by 4:45 and in Seattle by 11am (hooray for gaining 2 hours!).

Louis Wu

I stayed up late last night in hopes that I'll be able to sleep tonight. Flight leaves for Seattle at 6:30 am tomorrow. Will be out the door by 4:45 and in Seattle by 11am (hooray for gaining 2 hours!).
Wow, you must be coming from farther away than me.

I'm leaving from Newark - flight leaves at 7, arrives at 10.

Top Bottom