• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So I've ordered this nerf gun: http://nerf.wikia.com/wiki/Longstrike_CS-6

I'm going to mod in to the Halo 4 DMR. Seems a good match in terms of scale and form. I've never done anything like this before so it will probably be a disaster

hYSY7.gif
Haha, half the kids I babysit have that gun. It's one of my favorites. Nothing beats Nerf swords, though.

Yo I know an assistant manager at Gamestop who's flying to PAX. Dude will hook you up in the industry.

He knows a girl that knows a guy that heard from some guy that some other guy played against Stinkles in Halo for about 2 minutes before he exited for an interview. The man has, connections.

heckfu

Banned
Screw PAX. I know where I'm headed.

Edit: just realized they messed up the letters. Looks like I'm staying home.

I could just imagine you busting in yelling, "Slurp slurp!", looking around uncomfortably, and just tip toeing backwards out the door.

Have people gone into any detail about grenade bounce in 4? I saw someone say it seemed to have a bit more than Reach. Anyone else confirm that? I miss the rubber grenades of H3.

Louis Wu

What kind of networking? Because GDC is the elephant in the house when it comes to industry networking, no?
'Elephant in the house'? I've never heard that before. (I'd have used '800 lb gorilla' in a situation like this one - but this one sounds sort of like 'elephant in the room', which is something totally different.)

ObHalo: Hyper, someone on HBO pointed this out - it's the picture you mentioned last week, but with info on where it's going to be displayed (literally 4 blocks from the convention center on Friday night). w00t! (Probably be some other good stuff there, too.)

Have people gone into any detail about grenade bounce in 4? I saw someone say it seemed to have a bit more than Reach. Anyone else confirm that? I miss the rubber grenades of H3.

Yeah, they're bouncier than ever before to compensate for the loss of the Grenade Launcher and expert grenadiers will get their nades stuck in textures to compensate.

L0GIKILL

Neo Member
Just watched the carbine video... looks great.

Good use of the sticky detonator a 1:10 to booby twap the ordinance drop.

At 2:10, we see that grenades also have hitmarkers, which I think is a nice addition that I havent seen discussed here.

Yeah, I agree that his strategy and gameplay analysis is decent, but a LARGE portion of it boils down to "go into a playlist with a full party of experienced players with mics... then dump on the randoms that are forced into the playlist"

To be fair, 99% of the Halo population is not going to be a fair match with him and 2/3 other pros on his team. He says the other team is actually decent players. I just think he had the dongtrain running on full that game.

willow ve

At 2:10, we see that grenades also have hitmarkers, which I think is a nice addition that I havent seen discussed here.

Hit markers on grenades is a slippery slope. Just think in COD where you throw grenades to spots on maps just to probe and see if you get hit markers.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Hit markers on grenades is a slippery slope. Just think in COD where you throw grenades to spots on maps just to probe and see if you get hit markers.

It has, I brought it up last night and mentioned not liking it due to being able to probe with nades/hitmarkers.

Ken

This is a whole new level of CoD strategy to me...but I never thought about things while playing CoD so whatever. :p

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Yeah I'm hoping it's a jump pack now; sort of like the thrust pack, but vertical.

there is spartan ops footage of a knight using what appears to be the jet pack. once engaged, he shoots into the air then nearly as quickly comes back down all in one fluid arc. similar to the hopping jet pack elites would do in reach, but quicker. if this is indeed the jetpack AA it doesnt look like targeting will be all that easy in mid air and certainly not more then a few shots anyways. it will be more for navigating a map. hopefully with a steep cool down period.

Ken

why would you waste grenades when you could just use Promethean vision?

Why would you waste Promethean Vision when you could just run in there as swift as a coursing river, hitting the right trigger with all the force of a great typhoon, and watch as your SAW burns holes into the cowardly enemy Spartan with all the all the strength of a raging fire.

And then you get assassinated by the camo'd Spartan who is as mysterious as the dark side of the moooooooooooooon.

Dammit, *nades. And :lol I was just making fun of that whole "jumping off of textures" thing that happened a few days back.

Gotcha, I thought I read somethin weird like that the other day. Just brushed it aside cause I had no idea what it meant.

Speaking of the nade launcher, from what I've seen the sticky detonator seems to be a less than ideal replacement. The grenade launcher is more interesting because it can be bounced around corners/off the ground, plus it can be detonated in the air.

The sticky detonator is a glorified proximity mine, which I find most useful for throwing right behind me and detonating as an enemy is coming around a corner to shoot me. I don't think it will be nearly as useful at a range because enemy movement predictability goes way down when they don't see you on the radar; even when they do, it seems harder to lure someone in to take the bait at any sort of distance.

The gameplay I've seen reflects this where someone shoots the thing towards an enemy at least 20 feet away, and during that time the person with the detonator is extremely vulnerable to attack. They're just waiting for the enemy to run over it and it rarely happens that they do. Maybe its just a skill thing, but its the least interesting weapon i've seen so far. With that said, I'm sure I'll eat my words in the months to come.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa, I knew about grenade indicators, but not hit markers. Not sure if like.

Why would you waste Promethean Vision when you could just run in there as swift as a coursing river, hitting the right trigger with all the force of a great typhoon, and watch as your SAW burns holes into the cowardly enemy Spartan with all the all the strength of a raging fire.

And then you get assassinated by the camo'd Spartan who is as mysterious as the dark side of the moooooooooooooon.

Did they send me noobs, when I asked for pros?!

willow ve

I'll be zoomin in circles around 'em with my thrusters! I hope they keep first person for that, going out to 3rd is too busy for me. It seems that I'm in the minority there, however.

Maybe the 3rd person "busyness" is an intentional nerf on thrusters? I assume in 3rd person you can't shoot or throw grenades.

I dont see myself heaving grenades cross map to probe for enemies, thats what call outs are for.

You must play with those magical creatures who use mics.

L0GIKILL

Neo Member
Whoa, I knew about grenade indicators, but not hit markers. Not sure if like.

I like them for people camping around corners. Take the sword room on Pit, you know theres a guy in there waiting for you with a sword or mauler so you toss a grenade in. Based on the hit markers, you'll have an idea if you damaged him before you engage him.

I hate it when I think Ive grenaded someone in default sword room or shotgun spawn on Pit, and they come out with full shields and kill me. It just happened to me twice the other day with a camper holding shotgun and snipe.

I dont see myself heaving grenades cross map to probe for enemies, thats what call outs are for.

op_ivy

I strongly suspect, as with Reach, I'll just be rocking sprint.

Unlimited sprint.

yeah, that is definitely the one i'm leaning towards. a bit worried what unlimited sprint will do to the game though.

op_ivy

I'm leaning towards that and the quick shield recharge mod. Dunno if they are in the same category though. If they're not I'll use both! It'll be like I'm a Spartan V.

iirc, they arent. my pre-release combo of choice as well. imagine all the escapes from losing battles i can make!

GhaleonEB

yeah, that is definitely the one i'm leaning towards. a bit worried what unlimited sprint will do to the game though.

Oh, me too. That power weapon on the other side of the map? BRB.

Someone got the flag. On the way!

Flag need capping? Gimme a sec, I'll go snag it.

Losing a shootout, step around a corner, dude follows.....hey he was right there!

The sound of my Spartan panting will be ubiquitous.

Top Bottom