• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Hit markers on grenades, could make the hologram ability much more useful.

But that depends on whether hit markers are enabled on holograms in the first place. I heard it wasn't in the E3 build, dunno if it's in at all.

CyReN

Is this advice because there will be something cool there to see or are you proposing to go and play...? If there is something to play, and cool people with which to play it... I'd definitely go.

Could be, have to wait and see:)

also something is in the works with a h1 tourney in Ohio during October.

yeah, that is definitely the one i'm leaning towards. a bit worried what unlimited sprint will do to the game though.

It is things like this and instant respawn that I am kind of anxious about. This may be implemented better in Halo 4, but things like that in COD generally caused players to get frustrated at the game. I knew someone that would jam on the respawn button every time he died and then just sprint right back out again because he would get more and more aggravated every time he died. This normally lead to a rage quit, which I think completely ruins the match for anyone taking it seriously

I'll probably only consider using unlimited sprint on giant BTB maps, although in all likelihood I'll find a different mod I like even more for those situations.

Can't wait to actually play this game on Friday.

People with unlimited sprint should wheeze like they smoke six packs a day with an occasional, joisey-accented "SOMEONE GET ME A COUGH DROP" thrown in there for good measure whenever they sprint.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
cant wait for all the overs with unlimited sprint + sword. maybe increased radar as well so i can keep racking up the multis ;)

Having loadouts for particular situations will definitely make the gameplay quite interesting. Did you just die defending the flag? Pull up your unlimited sprint loadout. It will be a huge change of pace rather than just switching between armor abilities in Reach. It is one thing to swap to evade to try to catch a flag runner, but swapping to something a little more specialized makes changing loadouts more important for optimal gameplay. Switching loadouts in Reach didn't play that much of a role, but switching in Halo 4 seems like it will. Like pulling out the Operator specialization when your team has finally broken past CTF defenses as your respawning so you can jump into a vehicle to setup a more secure ride back.

Part of me likes the idea of the added layer of adaption skill while the other part of me would like to just keep things simple in that the margin of success between one loadout and another should be pretty small. The added tactical/support packages definitely increase the margin to the point where it may force players to switch in order to not feel like you are always behind from the get go on certain tasks. I already feel that sometimes being a camo user... once a player grabs the flag camo becomes much less useful and I feel like I'm behind in the chase for the flag runner unless I switch to sprint/evade. These added perks are going to make that feeling worse at times forcing players to make a choice between playing playstyles that they may not want to play or being at an innate disadvantage in their own playstyle.

I don't know man... I love the ability to not only play the way I want to play but to magnify it to the point of unique style. I just don't like that feeling of having to play like someone else in order to feel like I'm on even footing.

Enfinit

cant wait for all the overs with unlimited sprint + sword. maybe increased radar as well so i can keep racking up the multis ;)

This is what comes to mind for me when I think of unlimited sprint. Sprint + sword is like eating a bag of hair when you're on the receiving end.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I hope some of you can fight the honeymoon phase and give us real talk impressions.
They're going to one of the biggest gaming conventions to play one of, if not the biggest title releasing this year months before anyone else. They'll get to talk to and maybe even play with the people who made this game.

Even if Halo 4 multiplayer was the worst thing ever, no one's going to be like "nah man, that game is terrible". I can't really blame them (I'd say the same thing), but still.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
They're going to one of the biggest gaming conventions to play one of, if not the biggest title releasing this year months before anyone else. They'll get to talk to and maybe even play with the people who made this game.

Even if Halo 4 multiplayer was the worst thing ever, no one's going to be like "nah man, that game is terrible". I can't really blame them (I'd say the same thing), but still.

At Pax? If they don't like something you'll hear about it.

Watching that carbine gameplay just reaffirms how little of a distraction that text in the middle is for me at least.

Can't wait to see how the UI has changed to include the new medals and any other stuff we were missing.

neoism

jbk.gif

with aim like that I can't wait til launch day...lol

I wonder if Frank has the power to slap a developer if they say they're gonna nerf the carbine. That would be so Stinkling awesome. It'd be all "Not in my dojo, biatch!"

neoism

The free map packs and spartan ops missions should make it worth while to buy the LE version.

The armour skins and other garbage is bonus.

really probably repre-order then.
What is the deal with specializations..... LE gets them all, and regular only 2???

heckfu

Banned

So wise!

And so false!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
How about they remove sprint and just increase movement speed.
Brilliant.

How about not. This is 2012. Sprint is needed.
Even with an increased movement speed, not being able to actually run is just out of place, even in Halo.

EDIT:
As far a PAX impressions go, if there is something I (or we I guess) don't like, you'll hear about it. The issue you may run into is that not everyone has the same definition of what they want Halo 4 to be. A fine example is Over's post and my post. We want different things.

TheOddOne

Heck, the MLG coverage was pretty balanced. Some hated it, while others liked it.

Even with an increased movement speed, not being able to actually run is just out of place, even in Halo.

EDIT:
As far a PAX impressions go, if there is something I (or we I guess) don't like, you'll hear about it. The issue you may run into is that not everyone has the same definition of what they want Halo 4 to be. A fine example is Over's post and my post. We want different things.

10 successful years without it.

Karl2177

Let's throw aim down the sights in as well. It's 2012, I can't think of a single competitive shooter that doesn't have aiming down the sights.

In all seriousness, I want the "classic" mode to have no sprint, AAs, perks, specialization bonuses, hit markers, and all that jazz. I just want Halo 2/3 gameplay with Halo 4's weapon and vehicle sandbox.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Heck, the MLG coverage was pretty balanced. Some hated it, while others liked it.
Who disliked the game as a whole?

Not being sarcastic, I honestly haven't seen any overall negative impressions.

Do you like the game?

If Yes: Honeymoon phase, your opinion is skewed.

If No: Completely valid, gospel truth.
I'm basically saying that while write-ups are interesting to read, I wouldn't call them objective summations for a variety of reasons, regardless of whether they were positive or negative.

TheOddOne

Who disliked the game as a whole?

Not being sarcastic, I honestly haven't seen any overall negative impressions.
Even Bravo noted that some people actively disliked game (he didn't say who specifically though). You should go back and see Bravo and Walshy's interviews during E3.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
10 successful years without it.

Successful, yes, but that wasn't because of movement speed. My number one issue with Halo has always been the feeling of taking a walk in the park when getting around maps. Maybe it's just me, but I have wanted sprint in Halo for years now. There is no need for my Spartan to be slow, and have to slowly walk across Blood Gulch, or whatever, to get back into the action.

Let's throw aim down the sights in as well. It's 2012, I can't think of a single competitive shooter that doesn't have aiming down the sights.

In all seriousness, I want the "classic" mode to have no sprint, AAs, perks, specialization bonuses, hit markers, and all that jazz. I just want Halo 2/3 gameplay with Halo 4's weapon and vehicle sandbox.

Let me be clear, I'm not saying "this is 2012, everything in other shooters should be in Halo." I'm saying after 11 years it's time to add good movement and speed to Halo. My (and friends') #1 complaint with Halo has been how slow you feel trying to move around a map. Got a ghost bearing down on you? A warthog? Well let me slowly walk away and try to jump like an idiot until I can walk to cover. Yeah, that's an extreme example, but I just like the faster gameplay speed sprint brings.

Did you just respond using a classic FPS which requires you to switch to a knife in order to essentially run faster as some kind of argumnt that sprint isn't needed?

So... ok. Let's get this straight.

In CS:GO, holding the knife lets you run quite a bit faster than normal guns (and the heavier guns too). However, when holding the knife you cannot shoot.

In Halo 4, sprinting lets you run faster than normal run speeds (and turret holders too). However, when sprinting you cannot shoot.

GG

Edit: Wait you linked to a specfic time in the vid, let me watch that cuz the youtube plugin messed up.

DesertFox

Successful, yes, but that wasn't because of movement speed. My number one issue with Halo has always been the feeling of taking a walk in the park when getting around maps. Maybe it's just me, but I have wanted sprint in Halo for years now. There is no need for my Spartan to be slow, and have to slowly walk across Blood Gulch, or whatever, to get back into the action.

Especially in Reach on Hemorrhage where your choices are a teleporter ambush, or an agonizingly slow stroll from (extremely limited) cover to either the cliff or ridgeline, all the while being pinged by DMR fire or picked off by a Sniper. That is unless you take up your armor ability spot with the ability to sprint... I gotta stop my blood pressure is rising.

Louis Wu

Do you like the game?

If Yes: Honeymoon phase, your opinion is skewed.

If No: Completely valid, gospel truth.
Yeah, this attitude bugs me a lot. It STARTS with the assumption that everything is crap - so anyone suggesting that something might NOT be crap is simply blinded by circumstance.

I'm basically saying that while write-ups are interesting to read, I wouldn't call them objective summations for a variety of reasons, regardless of whether they were positive or negative.
You also strongly implied that negative impressions are more valid than positive ones, because positive ones can be explained away by the special circumstances in which conventiongoers find themselves.

GhaleonEB

Did you just respond using a classic FPS which requires you to switch to a knife in order to essentially run faster as some kind of argumnt that sprint isn't needed?

So... ok. Let's get this straight.

In CS:GO, holding the knife lets you run quite a bit faster than normal guns (and the heavier guns too). However, when holding the knife you cannot shoot.

In Halo 4, sprinting lets you run faster than normal run speeds (and turret holders too). However, when sprinting you cannot shoot.

GG

Edit: Wait you linked to a specfic time in the vid, let me watch that cuz the youtube plugin messed up.

They're lamenting that there are no iron sights.

I'll probably only consider using unlimited sprint on giant BTB maps, although in all likelihood I'll find a different mod I like even more for those situations.

Can't wait to actually play this game on Friday.
I can't wait to be jealous of you playing the game on Friday.

Have fun, everyone! Heresy has stayed my feet for the Great PAX Journey.

ib1B0VY0BoTziF.gif

This is reminding me of that IGN CS:GO review of "BU-BU- WHERE'S MY SIGHTS?!" If this is simply 2012 and Halo NEEDS sprint because all the other games are doing it, then I guess it needs ADS too. Hip fire is just too archaic. Yuck.

If this is just over the aesthetic that not sprinting provides, then have regular movement appear as that. Or just let me sprint and shoot, or is there something in the canon that doesn't allow these superhuman juggernauts who can flip tanks to do that.

Counterstrike: GO is an awesome game, but there's a reason its 15 dollars. A remake is a remake.

Edit: Plus it has the most precise shooting mechanics of any game, but thats about it. Running around is kinda silly feeling to me.
It's 15 dollars because that's the range Valve prices most of their solely competitive multiplayer games. GO is as much a remake as Halo 3 was a remake of Halo 2.

Top Bottom