• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Blissful

Neo Member
The way I'd set up playlists.

Team Slayer (Infinity Slayer is always an option, just to keep it from becoming it's own redundant playlist)
Team Swat (no perks/AA's, limited loadout options)
Team Snipers (no perks/AA's, limited loadout options)
Rumble Pit
Big Team Battle
Infinity Squad (5v5, mix of Slayer and Objective)
Team Hardcore (classic settings)
Multi Team
Team Objective (although that may be redundant of Team Hardcore)
Action Sack

Weekend playlists: (double xp)

Grifball
Living Dead

Each week, a random playlist is selected for double xp/jackpots.

I like your playlist breakdown recommendation, but you ALWAYS seem to miss Team Doubles.

I emphasized the text heavily because it's my favourite playlist of all time!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The way I'd set up playlists.

Team Slayer (Infinity Slayer is always an option, just to keep it from becoming it's own redundant playlist)
Team Swat (no perks/AA's, limited loadout options)
Team Snipers (no perks/AA's, limited loadout options)
Rumble Pit
Big Team Battle
Infinity Squad (5v5, mix of Slayer and Objective)
Team Hardcore (classic settings)
Multi Team
Team Objective (although that may be redundant of Team Hardcore)
Action Sack

Weekend playlists: (double xp)

Grifball
Living Dead

Each week, a random playlist is selected for double xp/jackpots.

Mine would be.

Infinity Slayer
Infinity Objective
Hardcore (no radar, mixed slayer and obj)
BTB (mixed slayer and obj)
Rumble Pit (95% slayer)
Head to Head
Double team
Team Classic (mixed slayer and obj, stripped down version)
Squad (6v6 mixed slayer and obj)

Fracas

#fuckonami
Mine would be.

Infinity Slayer
Infinity Objective
Hardcore (no radar, mixed slayer and obj)
BTB
Rumble Pit
Head to Head
Team Classic (mixed slayer and obj, stripped down version)
Squad (6v6 mixed slayer and obj)
I'd be okay with that. Only reason I put in Swat and Snipes is because the community would rage so hard if it wasn't in lol. 1v1 playlist could be a lot of fun

Isn't multi team 2v2v2v2 though? I'd prefer doubles to have its own playlist because 2v2 is a must in Halo. Always intense and competitive (unless you are playing brain dead noobs with guests)
Eh, true. I'd be cool with its return, as long as no guests are allowed.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'd be okay with that. Only reason I put in Swat and Snipes is because the community would rage so hard if it wasn't in lol. 1v1 playlist could be a lot of fun

Eh, true. I'd be cool with its return, as long as no guests are allowed.

IMO stick swat/snipes/livingdead and griffball all in the same playlist.

Or at least Swat/snipes in one playlist and livingdead/griffball in their own.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Team Doubles is pretty essential, in my opinion. It's one of my favorite lists.

Fracas

#fuckonami
IMO stick swat/snipes/livingdead and griffball all in the same playlist.
I'd be okay with that as well. To be honest, my personal ideal playlist setup would just be Team Slayer, Team Objective, Big Team Battle, and Rumble Pit. However, that obviously wouldn't go well if that were the actual set, haha.

Yeah, Team Doubles is pretty essential, in my opinion. It's one of my favorite lists.
Huh, I had no idea that people cared about that playlist. themoreyouknow.jpg

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
My ideal launch playlist:

4v4 Slayer
Infinity Slayer
Team Hardcore
Team Doubles

4v4 Specific/Specialty Slayer
Snipers
Swat

6v6 Objective/Slayer weighing for slayer/objective should be 50/50(atleast at first)
Squad Battle
Team Classic(If it absolutely "has to be a playlist")

Objective
Team Objective
Big Team Battle

---------------------------------------------------

Weekend Exp. BK Bonanza Fun time
Action Sack
Grifball
Living Dead

Yeah, probably. Same as this guy:

iS7ve98zpZe1K.gif

That is terrifying.

I recently learned that if you're player model is fast enough you can kill another player on impact. WOMP

WHY DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT SPARTAN ON SPARTAN SPLATTERS?!

This happened to me in one of my first games of the Beta, me and an enemy sprint into each other and just die. It was great.

I <3 Double Team.

Computron

LOL, I just spent the last match in H3 BTB trolling the Juices of the world with far-less-than-cinematic framerates.

Most our team quit so, me and this one random got like a 5 point lead then got both Elephants stuck in the exploded scarab.
The framerate tanks to about 3 Frames per second while the game speed remains constant, rendering the whole thing unplayable.
Meanwhile, the elephants are stuck and won't respawn completely ruining the game for everyone else.
There are a lot of uninitiated players in Halo 3, becuase, oh man, the mic chatter was hilarious.

Collect 5 point victory. Make yourself a sandwich. prepare for 10 minutes of mic madness.

IDK how this shit got past test and the 1.1 patch since it's been done since like the first week the game was out, but at this point it's just too funny.

Computron

No shit, right?

Or it could have been a story about how we spent a good 10 minutes wandering around sandtrap because our teammates quit.

stanley2.gif

..or you could've quit.. ;]

where would the fun be in that? This social game was ruined from the outset, so could the other team.

A more accurate .GIF would be one where the cake disappears/quits a couple frames in.
lol

Blissful

Neo Member

4v4 Slayer
Infinity Slayer
Team Hardcore
Team Doubles

4v4 Specific/Specialty Slayer
Snipers
Swat

6v6 Objective/Slayer weighing for slayer/objective should be 50/50(atleast at first)
Squad Slayer
Team Classic(If it absolutely "has to be a playlist")

Objective
Team Objective
Big Team Battle

Action Sack
Grifball
Living Dead

stanley2.gif

Halo Reach matchmaking is a clusterfuck now because we have Anniversary, TU, and Vanilla settings all wrapped up together.

From the scraps of information we have, it seems like Halo 4 has Infinity, Random Drops, Custom Loadouts, Restricted Loadouts etc etc etc.

Just something I thought about.

That's literally what every discussion about Halo 4 MM has been about in this thread for the past few months.

senador

Banned
I also dig Doubles.

I hope 343 has a good way to deal with guests. They really ruin my Halo experience. I wouldn't feel bad at all and would in fact be quite happy if they came out and said no guests this time around.

JackHerer

I also dig Doubles.

I hope 343 has a good way to deal with guests. They really ruin my Halo experience
I wouldn't feel bad at all an would on fact be quite happy if they came out and said no guests this time around.

Never gonna happen and I don't think it's a good idea. People should be allowed to play online MP with friends if they come over.

Now, limiting guests to social playlists, that would be a good idea. (edit: this is assuming there is any kind of ranked/social division of playlists, which I'm starting to doubt there will be)

Blissful

Neo Member
I also dig Doubles.

I hope 343 has a good way to deal with guests. They really ruin my Halo experience
I wouldn't feel bad at all an would on fact be quite happy if they came out and said no guests this time around.

Halo 3 managed it well with Social and Ranked playlists. No, I am not going into the whole ranked playlist arugment again.

Computron

Action Sack
Grifball
Living Dead

Does any game still do DXP weekends? The last I remember for sure was MW2.

Either way, I would rather have all the Living-Dead/Grifballers in their own fulltime playlist.

senador

Banned
Never gonna happen and I don't think it's a good idea. People should be allowed to play online MP with friends if they come over.

Now, limiting guests to social playlists, that would be a good idea. (edit: this is assuming there is any kind of ranked/social division of playlists, which I'm starting to doubt there will be)

I doubt it'll happen too, but I disagree. Guests didn't pay for the game like I did (most likely and if they did, they should go play on their own box or playlist). They shouldn't be able to ruin my experience so easily.

This can be allieviated somewhat by having better matchmaking when guests are involved and also keeping them to a few playlists. I feel this is totally fair and also very imperative.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Either way, I would rather have all the Living-Dead/Grifballers in their own fulltime playlist.
I'd prefer they populate the other playlist, that is if(343 willing) there is some kind of ranked structured system in place. Those playlists are mostly used for stat-padding and challenge completing.

G17

DLC must be made free if Halo Reach is to survive after Halo 4 releases. (already lower than Halo 3) The policy of making DLC map packs free after a year will only clean up the playlists.

TCKaos

I also dig Doubles.

I hope 343 has a good way to deal with guests. They really ruin my Halo experience. I wouldn't feel bad at all and would in fact be quite happy if they came out and said no guests this time around.

Ought to be able to filter for it. Like, an actual, honest to God filter. The stuff in Reach never worked.

You ought to be able to filter for players with mics as well. Imagine full teams of similarly skilled players with no guests and the ability to actually talk.

senador

Banned
Uh...Biggy, Yuhas, and I just got matched up with Trounce...and he recognized us.

Immediately

I think it's hilarious he is still playing after all that bulkshit. Did you guys Trounce him? Hopefully your remembered to j-hook hour headshots.

I'd prefer they populate the other playlist, that is if(343 willing) there is some kind of ranked structured system in place. Those playlists are mostly used for stat-padding and challenge completing.

Me too. Regaedless of those people liking the playlists, they take away from "real" Halo. I'd much rather weekend playlists return for those weird gametypes.

JackHerer

I doubt it'll happen too, but I disagree. Guests didn't pay for the game like I did (most likely and if they did, they should go play on their own box or playlist). They shouldn't be able to ruin my experience so easily.

This can be allieviated somewhat by having better matchmaking when guests are involved and also keeping them to a few playlists. I feel this is totally fair and also very imperative.

There would be a huge outcry if they banned guests entirely. Sure the guest didn't pay for the game, but the main account holder did, and if they want to play it with a guest when they have friends over they should be able to IMO.
I understand the annoyance of having a really bad guest on your team but I think it's unreasonable to think that they should be banned from matchmaking entirely.

I myself occasionally have friends over who are not great at FPS games but I still like to play with them in non-competitive playlists like multi-team.

Edit: Best case scenario is that we have ranked playlists and that they do not allow guests in them. I would be quite happy with that.

This made me laugh hard.

I swear that happens every other game in Reach.

Edit: With regards to guests, I think something where if someone brought a guest into matchmaking, the game prioritized others with guests for their lobby. That way, you would usually end up with lobbies where everyone has a guest (and they're not ruining other people's playtime), but guests aren't barred from any playlist at the same time.

senador

Banned
DLC must be made free if Halo Reach is to survive after Halo 4 releases. (already lower than Halo 3) The policy of making DLC map packs free after a year will only clean up the playlists.

Don't count on it.

Ought to be able to filter for it. Like, an actual, honest to God filter. The stuff in Reach never worked.

You ought to be able to filter for players with mics as well. Imagine full teams of similarly skilled players with no guests and the ability to actually talk.

I'd be ok with that if it actually worked. I'd (un)check that shit day one and never ever look back.

There would be a huge outcry if they banned guests entirely. Sure the guest didn't pay for the game but the main account holder did and if they want to play it with a guest when they have friends over they should be able to IMO.

I understand the annoyance of having a really bad guest on your team but I think it's unreasonable to think that they should be banned from matchmaking entirely.

I myself occasionally have friends over who are not great at FPS games but I still like to play with them in non-competitive playlists like multi-team.

Edit: Best case scenario is that we have ranked playlists and that they do not allow guests in them. I would be quite happy with that.

I personally wouldn't care about an outcry and I'd be on the otherside rejoicing. Plenty of games these days don't allow guests or limit them to cetain areas. I get yiur point but I still disagree. Just because they paid too doesn't mean they should be abke to infringe on mh pkaying.

You are most likely right though about the outcry and I don't see it happening. Just posting my dream scenario. See my other posts above for alternate solutions.

Computron

This made me laugh hard.

Watching through the Halo 3 most-relevant/top-viewed Bungie Pro archives is awesome.

So many cool clips in there. You find a lot of trolling or amazing shots or plain stupid stuff and the best just bubbles to the top instead of being picked out by a couple people like RoosterTeeth's fails or other Youtube series.

Plus, Halo 3 just seems ripe with hilarious stuff.

I wish Reach's system were better. They could allow you to watch rendered videos in the lobby and vote them to the top.

Why didn't you just quit?

Because trolling social.

wut

EDIT: You mean if you compare them side by side at 2'ish years in?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
There would be a huge outcry if they banned guests entirely. Sure the guest didn't pay for the game, but the main account holder did, and if they want to play it with a guest when they have friends over they should be able to IMO.
If they absolutely have to have guests the following should(ideally) happen:

• Those with guests are matched with guests
  • Guests are assigned a temporary rank/trueskill/whatever that excels either upward or downward based on their last game. This would allow those with guests to get matched up with players around them and their guests skill level... ideally.

Karl2177

Uh...Biggy, Yuhas, and I just got matched up with Trounce...and he recognized us.

It's amazing how one can throw an Xbox out the window because of a certain video game, and end up playing the same game a year later.

And I had totally forgot about him until you just mentioned him. Wahrer, be taking notes on the legacy of "Trouncing an Xbox" for your HaloGAF movie.

I'd be okay with that as well. To be honest, my personal ideal playlist setup would just be Team Slayer, Team Objective, Big Team Battle, and Rumble Pit. However, that obviously wouldn't go well if that were the actual set, haha.

Huh, I had no idea that people cared about that playlist. themoreyouknow.jpg

Doubles is the most important playlist.

Redford

aka Cabbie
It's funny juices, I vaguely remember suggesting a PGR-esque Gotham TV feature for Halo years ago, as did EazyB and yourself. While searching for it I found this god-tier post of yours from 2009.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18757198&postcount=14556

For the new kids, Waypoint nerds, and dee riders who cry about "Team Downer" and wonder why some are so cynical, those are the types of posts HaloGAF made for a long, long time. Nothing changes no matter how many logical and well reasoned suggestions you make. It's sad how many of those changes would make the game exponentially better, yet 3 years later 343 is trumpeting things like Forge magnetism and bringing the BR back. Oh well.

I'd kill for #'s 1, 10, 11, 25 and 27. Would excite me more than most of what I've seen so far, sadly.

Fotos

LOL, I just spent the last match in H3 BTB trolling the Juices of the world with far-less-than-cinematic framerates.

Most our team quit so, me and this one random got like a 5 point lead then got both Elephants stuck in the exploded scarab.
The framerate tanks to about 3 Frames per second while the game speed remains constant, rendering the whole thing unplayable.
Meanwhile, the elephants are stuck and won't respawn completely ruining the game for everyone else.
There are a lot of uninitiated players in Halo 3, becuase, oh man, the mic chatter was hilarious.

Collect 5 point victory. Make yourself a sandwich. prepare for 10 minutes of mic madness.

IDK how this shit got past test and the 1.1 patch since it's been done since like the first week the game was out, but at this point it's just too funny.

Its a phantom not a scarab :)

Defect

Halo 3 managed it well with Social and Ranked playlists. No, I am not going into the whole ranked playlist arugment again.

AROOGA AROOGA!

I want Ranked/Social split like Halo 3. Was perfect.

I don't think Doubles is returning...thanks to the country sized maps.

Trounce has a new Xbox and Reach ? lol

Computron H3 having framerate issues. I'm sorry I just cannot believe that. Your story must be false you liar.

Computron

Trounce has a new Xbox and Reach ? lol

Computron H3 having framerate issues. I'm sorry I just cannot believe that. Your story must be false you liar.

You wanna see it in 60 FPS glory? Open up a tight corridor map like orbital with a recorded theatre film in which there are very few players or movement, hold down the play button for at least 2x playback speed and cruise around the map.
Theatre mode unlocks the framerate if you do this, and in a lot of places you can get 60 fps. I was hoping to record some footage like this and add some nice after effects magic to get it silky smooth.
It's nowhere near stable enough to be playable that way, especially with a lot of player interaction as in multiplayer, so a Bioshock style frame unlocker would not be a good idea.

Honestly though, Halo 3 is %95+ above the 30 frames cap. Halo Reach has several consistent issues with certain areas of maps that should have been ironed out in testing though, I would agree.

Top Bottom