• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Spiders

I love Halo 3. And After Effects.

ibgoq8bMA4siCl.gif

Thats pretty awesome.

Too bad there's no motion blur in Halo 4 (or at least not in the builds we've seen).

Conor 419

Banned
Slightly Live said:
After 10 years, and just a few months away from the start of a new trilogy, where has Halo's innovation gone?

This, this and this again. I've been saying it for a long time, Halo 4 lacks any of the innovative stretches that we saw in every single of the Halo trilogy before they released. Spartan Op's is more 'value for money' than it is innovative.

This game is looking to certainly lack the ambitious and crazy new ideas that felt 'just right' when you saw them, those Halo 3 gifs are a testament to those kinds of innovation. Anything we've seen that is 'new' is really just new for the series, and ultimately we're really just seeing compromises between the Halo formula and Call of Duty. There's no new weapons I'm dying to use, there's nothing like the Bubble Shield or the Elephant that I can't wait to play around with, and with the strong indication that there'll be no Halo 3 style ranking system or custom game browsing, it looks like we're just taking one step forward from Reach, but two steps back overall.

The Campaign alone is where all my hope is placed in this game right now, but I'm worried it'll be as Conservative as Reach's. It might not be, and it might be enough to give the game overall greatness the Trilogy had. It'll need some proper Mass Effect 2/Super Mario Galaxy/OoT vibes to even come close, which isn't an easy task.

This, this and this again. I've been saying it for a long time, Halo 4 lacks any of the innovative stretches that we saw in every single of the Halo trilogy before they released. Spartan Op's is more 'value for money' than it is innovative.

This game is looking to certainly lack the ambitious and crazy new ideas that felt 'just right' when you saw them, those Halo 3 gifs are a testament to those kinds of innovation. Anything we've seen that is 'new' is really just new for the series, and ultimately we're really just seeing compromises between the Halo formula and Call of Duty. There's no new weapons I'm dying to use, there's nothing like the Bubble Shield or the Elephant that I can't wait to play around with, and with the strong indication that there'll be no Halo 3 style ranking system or custom game browsing, it looks like we're just taking one step forward from Reach, but two steps back overall.

The Campaign alone is where all my hope is placed in this game right now, but I'm worried it'll be as Conservative as Reach's. It might not be, and it might be enough to give the game overall greatness the Trilogy had. It'll need some proper Mass Effect 2/Super Mario Galaxy/OoT vibes to even come close, which isn't an easy task.

are you serious? the weapon sandbox looks much better than any other halo and we have yet to see the new vehicles

Blueblur1

I am fine with no motion blur. I always turn that stuff off.

I feel the same way. I hate seeing it in Reach. Motion blur, especially with how much its overused in the game, combined with the filter layered on top of everything and lack of color are why I think Reach is so visually unappealing.

Sororities... And you want to be distracted...
If this weren't recruitment, I'd agree with you. But this is recruitment, and trust me when I say, "It will not be a pleasant experience." They're going to sing, chant, and scream – oh my word the screaming – to the point where they'll lose their voices. For the rooms I have to be in there with them, I'll likely get a headache (yes, it will be that bad, and I plan on taking some medicine). For the rest, after I set up whatever tech they want, they'll kick me out out of the room and have me wait outside.

Other than potential eye candy, why wouldn't I want to be distracted? :/
Seriously though, why so pessimistic Dax? You might meet some cool girls
who need you desperately.
See above for my pessimism.

Wake me when you need me?

Out of sheer curiosity what are they doing to scream so much Dax? We don't have anything similar here but I just can't imagine anyone that age screaming just out of excitement lol?

Striker

You enjoyed throwing down bubble shields and driving a slow-ass Elephant? Granted before release, driving a Chopper or piloting the Hornet sounded fun, but those?

We've haven't seen many vehicles in H4 yet, or much less got a serious look at a lot of weapons unless you want to count the BR, Carbine, or DMR.

Sai-kun

Banned
Not always. Bar + good beer + friendly stranger who'll chat to you about where they're going = good times.

It's wayyyyyyy too early for me to be drinking. It's only 7:30!

I usually have to hold off until at least 9 AM or so before I start.
Airport liquor is too damn expensive, as well.

TheOddOne

This game is looking to certainly lack the ambitious and crazy new ideas that felt 'just right' when you saw them, those Halo 3 gifs are a testament to those kinds of innovation.
This doesn't make any sense, but you as a whole have never made sense before so I'm not suprised. Nobody knew going into Halo 3 that the things done in those gifs were even possible. Just to see some parlor tricks/goofs being presented by you as "innovative" really baffles my mind. Also being dead set on not being intrested on things you have no seen? Yeah, that makes no sense at all.

Dani's points hit the right spots, yours however just are fragments with no logical reasoning behind them.

Man, I really want to see that Pit remake soon. Need something to drum up that hype again!

Edit: Seeing as I'll drag Reach's name through the shitter every time I have a bad session, I have to say that yesterdays 3 hours plus with the game was an absolute joy and the most fun I've had with it in some time. Played Team Snipers the whole time, picked up three random players incrementally from different games and donged the whole time. No surprises there but the real joy was that

A. The randoms I paired up with were actually really nice guys

and

B. The quitting was minimal considering it's Reach

(Bonus reason C. Only had to play Hemmorhage three times? out of 20 plus games :)

Oh and the lag wasn't too bad either

Talents

Banned
Man, I really want to see that Pit remake soon. Need something to drum up that hype again!

Edit: Seeing as I'll drag Reach's name through the shitter every time I have a bad session, I have to say that yesterdays 3 hours plus with the game was an absolute joy and the most fun I've had with it in some time. Played Team Snipers the whole time, picked up three random players incrementally from different games and donged the whole time. No surprises there but the real joy was that

A. The randoms I paired up with were actually really nice guys

and

B. The quitting was minimal considering it's Reach

(Bonus reason C. Only had to play Hemmorhage three times? out of 20 plus games :)

Oh and the lag wasn't too bad either

Pit remake?

Halo 4 is not as 'ambitious' as previous Halo games because it doesn't have the luxury of being developed by an established company who have worked together on other Halo games and who are building on an existing platform and shared pool of knowledge and resources dating back across a decade.

The 'ambition' of Halo 4 is that it more or less meets the feature list of the last game, which itself represented the culmination of a decade of organized and directed work at the same company. We should count our lucky stars that Halo 4 is as feature-rich as it is; they're not just building the new model with the new parts, they're meanwhile building the factory that produces them.

Still gonna be mad when it turns out there is no competitive offering whatsoever, though.

feel

Man, I really want to see that Pit remake soon. Need something to drum up that hype again
I think I could only get excited for a Pit remake if it was for that Halo mp xbla game based on Halo 2+3 gameplay I keep dreaming about. Thinking of the Pit coupled with this crappy new post-Reach gameplay is just depressing.

willow ve

Halo 4 is not as 'ambitious' as previous Halo games because it doesn't have the luxury of being developed by an established company who have worked together on other Halo games and who are building on an existing platform and shared pool of knowledge and resources dating back across a decade.

The 'ambition' of Halo 4 is that it more or less meets the feature list of the last game, which itself represented the culmination of a decade of organized and directed work at the same company. We should count our lucky stars that Halo 4 is as feature-rich as it is; they're not just building the new model with the new parts, they're meanwhile building the factory that produces them.

Still gonna be mad when it turns out there is no competitive offering whatsoever, though.

I wish this were true. I think we might have been far more lucky to see a true stripped down version of Halo. IE: A simple arena shooter that focused on balanced gameplay; no loadouts, classes, perks, weapon drops, etc.

They might be building their company while building Halo 4, but 343 has been around for a full 5 years now. Add to that the fact that some staff were Bungie employees and a lot of staff are seasoned game design veterans. We expect Halo greatness because they are a company solely designed and purposed to deliver Halo greatness.

I think I could only get excited for a Pit remake if it was for that Halo mp xbla game based on Halo 2+3 gameplay I keep dreaming about. Thinking of the Pit coupled with this crappy new post-Reach gameplay is just depressing.

It would be great to see a Halo 2/3 multiplayer remake on XBLA. Keep weapon sandbox the same as 3. Update netcode (or add dedicated servers?!?!?). Update graphics to Halo 4 level. Put in every single map from Halo CE 2 and 3. ??????? Profit.

willow ve

dat daily challenge.

"Link your gamertage with Bungie.net and play a game in Halo: Reach"

Really looking forward to better game management in Halo 4.

wwm0nkey

So, anybody wanna take bets as to which news outlet will break todays Bulletin news before 343 does?

I am hoping this bulletin is about the collectors edition and the 2 discs.

Oh also I found out what they showed at the GameStop managers conference but you guys will hear about that soon enough.

Tawpgun

Halo CE - console fps controls, open battlefields, industry standard setting.
Halo 2 - Console Online Standard. Games coming out now still don't have as good online infrastructure. The dashboard before the dashboard.
Halo 3 - Forge, Saved Films, and incredible Bungie.net support.
Reach - uhhh... Made stuff a bit better...
Halo 4 - uhhh... SpOps maybe.

Reach really fell on its face by lacking innovation. Hopefully SpOps is huge.

Karl2177

Halo CE - console fps controls, open battlefields, industry standard setting.
Halo 2 - Console Online Standard. Games coming out now still don't have as good online infrastructure. The dashboard before the dashboard.
Halo 3 - Forge, Saved Films, and incredible Bungie.net support.
Reach - uhhh... Made stuff a bit better...
Halo 4 - uhhh... SpOps maybe.

Reach really fell on its face by lacking innovation. Hopefully SpOps is huge.
In concept, Megalo is one of the better things that has happened to Halo. It just fell incredibly short, because there was a lack of people actually using it. 343i put out a gametype, and Bungie put out a few. If only the players had the chance to tinker with it...

Tawpgun

You could see your own Spartan in cutscenes and stuff!!!
ugh actually... They said they had CG cinematics. #awkward

Though they'll probably have small in game cutscenes before each level.

Only thing im hoping for is variety. Not just hitting buttons and clearing out enemies.

TCKaos

You ever play Spec Ops in CoD? Its gunna be like that you just kinda fight your way to waypoints where some fractured story will be given to us that noone cares about. Basically a huge waste of resources, we could have more MP maps instead or something else useful like a technological advancement.

I remember talking to my brother about this when Reach came out. You remember how in one of the earlier ViDocs someone mentioned getting all of the things they ever wanted to do in Halo and throwing them up on the board? That's what brought around MW2's Spec Ops mode. Reach's disjointed campaign is what comes from devs just sort of shoving shit in to a box and trying to tie it together with a loose narrative whereas Spec Ops came from developers creating missions around what they couldn't do in campaign as opposed to shoehorning in even more segments that would make even less sense than is normal for Cawadooty.

Spartan Ops could be a great idea provided it was actually handled in that way after the campaign was more or less mapped out. It'd be a nice use of resources to have an encounter a dev really wanted to use in an earlier area but had to cut due to time constraints or what have you. Instead of having the awesome warthog rush be a cutscene that ends abruptly at the beginning of the level because it doesn't fit in the narrative of the level, make it a side mission that doesn't last quite as long but is still action packed or something.

Again, this is provided that it was handled properly, and because we know almost nothing about it we can't really know that.

TheOddOne

I think another big factor playing in there not being any substantial innovation in Halo 4 is the outdated 360 hardware and its limitations (DVD-drive space for example). Reach could barely even hold onto itself with the “minor” additions to it.

Heck it would not surprise me if what we all want from Halo 4, such as spectator mode, a real level editor and 60 fps in the next Halo on next-gen hardware.

Conor 419

Banned
This doesn't make any sense, but you as a whole have never made sense before so I'm not suprised. Nobody knew going into Halo 3 that the things done in those gifs were even possible. Just to see some parlor tricks/goofs being presented by you as "innovative" really baffles my mind. Also being dead set on not being intrested on things you have no seen? Yeah, that makes no sense at all.

Dani's points hit the right spots, yours however just are fragments with no logical reasoning behind them.

You really are afraid of me aren't you? It's quite clear that (like I said) the gifs aren't the basis of my post, but are instead an indicator of how unique (a synonym for innovative btw) a game Halo 3 was. My focus before has been primarily about game modes, or lack of interesting weapons of vehicles that we've yet seen.

I'm sure you're still feeling salty after you got completely embarrassed during the ODST argument we had, but if you keep attacking me I'm going to start reporting you.

You enjoyed throwing down bubble shields and driving a slow-ass Elephant? Granted before release, driving a Chopper or piloting the Hornet sounded fun, but those?

Yeah...have you forgotten the Pirate Style game modes that the Elephant introduced? I've also loved having whole teams defend the interior of a Bubble shield.

TheOddOne

You really are afraid of me aren't you? It's quite clear that (like I said) the gifs aren't the basis of my post, but are instead an indicator of how unique (a synonym for innovative btw) a game Halo 3 was. My focus before has been primarily about game modes, or lack of interesting weapons of vehicles that we've yet seen.

I'm sure you're still feeling salty after you got completely embarrassed during the ODST argument we had, but if you keep attacking me I'm going to start reporting you.
Afraid? I think you are the prime example of bottom of the barrel youtube ignorant commentator. Time and time people have called you on your shit and time and time you just brush it off like you won the argument, all the while everybody knows you ran for the hills the moment you were confronted with your ignorance.

Even your goddamn tone with this post shows the level of maturity you have. Going to snitch because you got called out? Disgraceful. Utterly disgraceful.

Afraid? I think you are the prime example of bottom of the barrel youtube ignorant commentator. Time and time people have called you on your shit and time and time you just brush it off like you won the argument, all the while everybody knows you ran for the hills the moment you were confronted with your ignorance.

Even your goddamn tone with this post shows the level of maturity you have. Going to snitch because you got called out? Disgraceful. Utterly disgraceful.

I like the more aggressive OddOne.

daedalius

Yeah...have you forgotten the Pirate Style game modes that the Elephant introduced? I've also loved having whole teams defend the interior of a Bubble shield.

I found this extremely hilarious.

Also, why does this thread lately just seem like a chore to read at all?

Kylej is a cool guy, I'm gonna remove him from my ignore list.

daedalius

You're welcome to leave instead of commenting on how dull you find the conversation constantly, daedalius.

If you haven't noticed... I pretty much have lately. How dare I post a grievance about the conversation in the thread once a month, PREPOSTEROUS!

But thanks for pointing it out!

TheOddOne

It kind of contributes to me not giving a shit about reading this thread anymore.

That is literally all it is lately, other than when we get a morsel of news.
Actually there was a pretty good debate going on about innovation in Halo 4. Then shit happened and now the mood is ruined. Still, it's not everyday you see Subzero visit the beach.

Top Bottom