• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

I remember when Perfect Dark Zero was gonna have a TV mode of sorts and you could watch channels of people playing the game.

Think that got left on the cutting room floor
KuGsj.gif

Also, there are people, right now, playing PDZ. Online. With other people.

Think about that shit.

I remember when Perfect Dark Zero was gonna have a TV mode of sorts and you could watch channels of people playing the game.

Think that got left on the cutting room floor
KuGsj.gif

Also, there are people, right now, playing PDZ. Online. With other people.

Think about that shit.
No there aren't, believe me, I checked!

Actually I'm playing it through co-op on Dark Agent but by myself since there's no one to play it with. It's completely masochistic and the game is incomprehensibly cheap, every mission is a perpetual sniper alley. It's exciting.

The game is so fucking janky too, it's kind of charming just how rough it is.

Tawpgun

I used to be proud of Halo for being so innovative. Always had the one of the best if not the best graphics while maintaining large open gameplay. All of its innovative features.

Then I became proud of Halo for sticking to its mantra while the rest of the FPS genre was CoDifying.

Hopefully, Spartan Ops does become as monumental as it might seem. Hopefully once 343 establishes itself with Halo 4 we'll get something spectacular in Halo 5.

I've got like 15 multikill medals between my last three games of Anniversary Slayer. Condensing the playlists have forced all the Anni BKs into one list, it's great.

Yeah, 343 really hasn't demonstrated how SpOps "scratches a similar itch" as Firefight.

They haven't really demonstrated anything other than how to shoot a the BR at grunts and kill a couple Prometheans.

The lack of official footage is depressing.

I'll touch lightly on the SpOps talk. I agree that 343 has been a little vague on what the gameplay entails. It does seem like, from what we've been shown, that the customization we've had with Firefight will be gone in place of a more controlled, campaign-like experience. I do expect to see some very Firefight-esque missions down the line (if we haven't seen 'em already).

I've never been a huge Firefight fan, and that's not Halo specific. I haven't encountered a "horde mode" in a game I've liked. I expect to enjoy SpOps more if not for anything but the promise of regularly-released new missions. However, I really like the idea of customization for a gamemode like SpOps. I'd probably never touch it myself – like Reach's Firefight options – but it'd be really interesting to see what people come up with. Alter the works: what enemies appear where and when, skulls (Does campaign have skulls? Will there be skulls in SpOps?), starting weapons for the player, and so on.

To all GAFPAXers:

While all you fine, lucky folk will be out enjoying the lovely atmosphere of Seattle and playing Halo 4, because of work I'll be subjected to the chorus of singing, chanting, and screaming of college sorrorities over the weekend (and tomorrow). I'm depending on you guys to dispense plenty of information and impressions, while recounting fantastic tales of your journey to help me through this difficult time. Distract me.

Help me get through this. Please.

Karl2177

I'll touch lightly on the SpOps talk. I agree that 343 has been a little vague on what the gameplay entails. It does seem like, from what we've been shown, that the customization we've had with Firefight will be gone in place of a more controlled, campaign-like experience. I do expect to see some very Firefight-esque missions down the line (if we haven't seen 'em already).

I've never been a huge Firefight fan, and that's not Halo specific. I haven't encountered a "horde mode" in a game I've liked. I expect to enjoy SpOps more if not for anything but the promise of regularly-released new missions. However, I really like the idea of customization for a gamemode like SpOps. I'd probably never touch it myself – like Reach's Firefight options – but it'd be really interesting to see what people come up with. Alter the works: what enemies appear where and when, skulls (Does campaign have skulls? Will there be skulls in SpOps?), starting weapons for the player, and so on.

To all GAFPAXers:

While all you fine, lucky folk will be out enjoying the lovely atmosphere of Seattle and playing Halo 4, because of work I'll be subjected to the chorus of singing, chanting, and screaming of college sorrorities over the weekend (and tomorrow). I'm depending on you guys to dispense plenty of information and impressions, while recounting fantastic tales of your journey to help me through this difficult time. Distract me.

Help me get through this. Please.
Sororities... And you want to be distracted...

kylej

Banned
It's funny juices, I vaguely remember suggesting a PGR-esque Gotham TV feature for Halo years ago, as did EazyB and yourself. While searching for it I found this god-tier post of yours from 2009.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18757198&postcount=14556

For the new kids, Waypoint nerds, and dee riders who cry about "Team Downer" and wonder why some are so cynical, those are the types of posts HaloGAF made for a long, long time. Nothing changes no matter how many logical and well reasoned suggestions you make. It's sad how many of those changes would make the game exponentially better, yet 3 years later 343 is trumpeting things like Forge magnetism and bringing the BR back. Oh well.

Ideally there would only be one canvas with all objects and you could shape your own environment, change the time of day and decide what kind of weather there would be.
Sigh...

Would you pay for Limited Edition if it came with Forge+ and Theater+ for free, which would be optional DLC otherwise?

Let's say the business model is something like this.

Forge: Everything we've seen so far, magnets, how do they work, etc etc
Theater: Basically the same as Reach, maybe back to Halo 3-level post-processing when allowing online screens, though.

Forge+: Costs $10 (whatever that translates to in MSP; 1250?). Does not allow for importing custom models, but pretty much everything else is possible--modifying a pre-existing set of setpieces/forge blocks/etc, possibly thousands of different structural items. You can share "Object Mods" with your own maps and create Object Mod Sets to share with others that would basically work like structure packs; in-engine you'd just be playing around with vertexes and the like of pre-existing Forge objects and saving them as new ones. 360 memory is basically the only limit. You can choose from a large variety of skyboxes, environments, and use the same object mod tech on terrain. All exists within the game engine but requires a bit of harddrive space.

Theatre+: Also costs $10 in spacebucks. Not a full-blown video editor or anything, but it allows you to snip clips and add basic fade effects and snip clips together with a maximum of 10 minute-long videos. Screenshots could possibly have some stupid function like Instragram filters. The important part here is that you could upload films to your fileshare, but Theatre+ allows you to download them (to your console or your PC) as an actual video file. Rendering could be free (thanks to you paying for Theatre+) or cost some amount of Spartan Points.

You could buy a Halo 4 Forge/Theatre Suite Plus combination for $15 (but in Microsoft Points).

GhaleonEB

You should be able to contact RedBubble about that, since the dark blue shirts I've gotten through them have closely resembled the color shown online.

Welp, looking at the order email, it looks like I did order "Blue" instead of "Dark Blue" - which is what I meant to order. So it was me that goofed up. Curses. There goes $30.

It's just too ugly a color, though; I don't think I can get myself to wear it in public.

heckfu

Banned
Welp, looking at the order email, it looks like I did order "Blue" instead of "Dark Blue" - which is what I meant to order. So it was me that goofed up. Curses. There goes $30.

It's just too ugly a color, though; I don't think I can get myself to wear it in public.

What size? I'll give you 20 if I dig the color and it fits my muscular-gorgeous body.

Funny that was my wishlist for Reach none of it got added nor did probably anyone from Bungie/343 read my Reach review of what needed to happen (Of which none of it did happen).

Now were waiting for the Next Halo and that stuff is all still a wishlist that isn't getting added.

Maybe Halo 5!

Who was the dude who said insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
It's funny juices, I vaguely remember suggesting a PGR-esque Gotham TV feature for Halo years ago, as did EazyB and yourself. While searching for it I found this god-tier post of yours from 2009.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...ostcount=14556

For the new kids, Waypoint nerds, and dee riders who cry about "Team Downer" and wonder why some are so cynical, those are the types of posts HaloGAF made for a long, long time. Nothing changes no matter how many logical and well reasoned suggestions you make. It's sad how many of those changes would make the game exponentially better, yet 3 years later 343 is trumpeting things like Forge magnetism and bringing the BR back. Oh well.
That HaloTV idea, hire juices.

kylej

Banned
Funny that was my wishlist for Reach none of it got added nor did probably anyone from Bungie/343 read my Reach review of what needed to happen (Of which none of it did happen).

Now were waiting for the Next Halo and that stuff is all still a wishlist that isn't getting added.

Maybe Halo 5!

Who was the dude who said insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Well to be fair, I've learned from HaloGAF that you can not in fact address or critique any upcoming Halo product unless you've actually experienced it first-hand. Not sure how you made so many dead on predictions and great suggestions before the game was unveiled. Magic, I guess.

Maybe Halo 5!

If it makes you feel any better, everyone wants to be able to rewind in film clips. The reason we can't is a standard .map/bandwidth/etc reason; you're not really watching a movie in theater so much as you are completely reloading and reliving the game, just using a separate camera. Reversing would require the game to basically fold in on itself to reload weapons, objective points, etc. backwards.

willow ve

That post from 2009 was ... I ... I don't even know what to say.

I can pretend it is dark blue, if that makes you feel any better...

I don't know what you played at SDCC, but the SpOps episode available at E3 (and RTX) was intentionally shortened for the conventions - the real mission it was based on is longer.
I didn't know that, and am very happy to hear that. My main complaint about that "full" mission was that it was pretty short.
iire7fOLRINMw.gif

At least it also comes in vanilla flavor. (hopefully)
lol
Any blainers going to be on tonight?
I could be convinced to get on for a bit.
Sororities... And you want to be distracted...
image.php

Seriously though, why so pessimistic Dax? You might meet some cool girls
who need you desperately.

Slaker117

I don't want to encourage abuse, but they seem to have a very lack refund policy. I ordered a large shirt that turned out bigger than I was expecting, and contacted them with the full intent of returning it and paying whatever fee for a partial refund, but instead they let me keep the shirt and sent me a medium for free. You might want to contact them and see if they are willing to do anything similar for you.

Some fantastically dismal posts being made. Great points which is all too saddening.

I'd like to believe this is the time where Frankie or David pops in for a second and soothes our souls with vague hintings of greatness.

A boy can dream.

kylej

Banned
That post from 2009 was ... I ... I don't even know what to say.

Yeah but the one thing I'd bet on more than anything is that we'll get proper playlist management this time around. I mean, Frankie said so. Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

Oh yeah and Forge has better lighting. Don't forget that.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
"12. Timed weapon switches, Pistol's faster to pull out then a rocket launcher. I love this about CoD and it should totally be copied." via Juices wishlist.

IIRC Halo 4 does have this, I believe it was stated somewhere that the magnum has a faster weapon switch over other weapons. So I'd guess that each weapon has their own switch times.

I'd still love to do that playlist management. At least work on the team of people they've hired. Right they have a team doing this this time around, RIGHT?

"12. Timed weapon switches, Pistol's faster to pull out then a rocket launcher. I love this about CoD and it should totally be copied." via Juices wishlist.

IIRC Halo 4 does have this, I believe it was stated somewhere that the magnum has a faster weapon switch over other weapons. So I'd guess that each weapon has their own switch times.

The Magnum has faster weapon switches, all it's animations are faster for that matter, making it faster to reload, throw grenades, and melee.

Not sure if they all have their own switch times though, it might just be the Magnum with 343's intention to really make it a "sidearm".

If I were hypothetically working on a HaloGAF album (which would be dismissed by three administrations as preposterous rumor) do you think

HaloGAF Vol. 1:
[NICE album · COOL logo]

would be an acceptable name? The subtitle might take some critical thinking. And revising as long as it fits the acronym.

Fuchsdh

If I were hypothetically working on a HaloGAF album (which would be dismissed by three administrations as preposterous rumor) do you think

HaloGAF Vol. 1:
[NICE album · COOL logo]

would be an acceptable name? The subtitle might take some critical thinking. And revising as long as it fits the acronym.

I have no idea.

Your post just reminded me how odd that line was, though.

The Magnum has faster weapon switches, all it's animations are faster for that matter, making it faster to reload, throw grenades, and melee.

Not sure if they all have their own switch times though, it might just be the Magnum with 343's intention to really make it a "sidearm".

I hope it's done for all the sidearms. Making them more useful is good.

Quick melees are a pretty powerful tool for increasing weapon power without actually touching the weapon's damage, RoF, et al.

CE Plasma Rifle... *sigh*

I'd still love to do that playlist management. At least work on the team of people they've hired. Right they have a team doing this this time around, RIGHT?
Good fucking list Juices! This is wishful thinking, but I hope the Infinity sites would support a feature like "HaloTv", but we really have no clue how much different (innovative) the site(s) will be compared to B.net & Waypoint.

Good fucking list Juices! This is wishful thinking, but I hope the Infinity sites would support a feature like "HaloTv", but we really have no clue how much different (innovative) the site(s) will be compared to B.net & Waypoint.

Wait, 343 is making another site for Halo 4 MP? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

zap

Wow that was amazing.

The only thing they have added from that list is challenges and magnets in forge...

God-tier post indeed.

Hire Juices. Or just steal his ideas. I bet he wouldn't even be mad.

I recently learned that if you're player model is fast enough you can kill another player on impact. WOMP

WHY DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT SPARTAN ON SPARTAN SPLATTERS?!

Technically, it's included with the purchase - just delivered after. (To Gold subscribers.)
Feels like a loophole.

Other companies that have wanted to provide free post-release content have felt constrained by MS policies. Although I'm not sure if anybody just came out directly and said as much.

Tawpgun

Halo Reach matchmaking is a clusterfuck now because we have Anniversary, TU, and Vanilla settings all wrapped up together.

From the scraps of information we have, it seems like Halo 4 has Infinity, Random Drops, Custom Loadouts, Restricted Loadouts etc etc etc.

Just something I thought about.

Havok

Feels like a loophole.

Other companies that have wanted to provide free post-release content have felt constrained by MS policies. Although I'm not sure if anybody just came out directly and said as much.
Valve was very vocal about their feelings on Microsoft's free content policy concerning the TF2 updates, and Supergiant Games was pretty upfront about it when they were forced to charge $1 for Bastion content that was free elsewhere.

Live policy is a joke. What a waste of a well-done Chill Out remake.

Fracas

#fuckonami
The way I'd set up playlists.

Team Slayer (Infinity Slayer is always an option, just to keep it from becoming it's own redundant playlist)
Team Swat (no perks/AA's, limited loadout options)
Team Snipers (no perks/AA's, limited loadout options)
Rumble Pit
Big Team Battle
Infinity Squad (5v5, mix of Slayer and Objective)
Team Hardcore (classic settings)
Multi Team
Team Objective (although that may be redundant of Team Hardcore)
Action Sack

Weekend playlists: (double xp)

Grifball
Living Dead

Each week, a random playlist is selected for double xp/jackpots.

senador

Banned
Halo Reach matchmaking is a clusterfuck now because we have Anniversary, TU, and Vanilla settings all wrapped up together.

From the scraps of information we have, it seems like Halo 4 has Infinity, Random Drops, Custom Loadouts, Restricted Loadouts etc etc etc.

Just something I thought about.

Which is why I'm worried for Infinity vs Classic in Halo 4.

Top Bottom