• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

I didn't think you would like our custom of two forts Bobs', we've been playing it since H3.

But two forts is unbeatable for wacky fun, was better in halo 3 because of the balanced banshee.

No I enjoyed it a lot actually, it was stupid and made no sense, but was fun all the same.

That banshee was stupid lol, but fun I think it was by far the tool of destruction :p

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So, any predictions on what Halo 4 reveals we'll get at PAX?

I'm hoping for group/clan functionality, personally. It's a comparatively minor thing, but would really excite me. And Spartan Ops customization.

FyreWulff

It is done. 33$, vinyl.

9l4fy.jpg

TMbUT.jpg

Big thanks to Devolution for designing this. Came out awesome. GAF ball mostly survived.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It is done. 33$, vinyl.

http://i.imgur.com/9l4fy.jpg[img]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/TMbUT.jpg[IMG]

Big thanks to Devolution for designing this. Came out awesome. GAF ball mostly survived.[/QUOTE]
Looks awesome. Good job, Devo.

My HaloGAF shirt came today, woo.

I got the dark blue, which is LOT lighter than I thought it would be; a rather ugly color, actually. Other than for the HaloGAF meet up, I'll probably not wear it in any context. Curses.
Dunno If I aim going to wear SLT Poison's GAF shirt. I still love Letter's one.

You said it yourself, episodic content is not innovative. Plenty of other developers in plenty of other genres have done it to various degrees of success. So what if Halo 4 does it right? 343 and Microsoft have the talent and money to make sure it goes right.

Without speaking to the quality of the content, if 343 follow through with their promises with Spartan Ops, then so what? They wouldn't be making these promises if they didn't think they could keep them. If they break their promises, they won't be the first company to do so, or the last. It's no big deal.

Are you really willing to pin Halo 4's innovations on just Spartan Ops? For a franchise known for breaking moulds for defining a genre, for setting standards and leading the industry, is this really all we're getting these days? Should we not expect more? A lot more?

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you, and made some posts yesterday to the same effect. I wish we where seeing more creativity from 343, but just on a technical, cramming stuff into the game point of view: it would be impressive if 343 can match bungie for features on they're first game.

I hope they are more adventurous with Halo 5, but I hardly blame them for not going above and beyond when it's the industry norm these days to throw the kitchen sink at games as it Is!

But yeah while im disappointed by what seems like lack of creative innovation I still think technically 343 are pulling off a miracle to cram so much into they're first game as it is.

It is done. 33$, vinyl.

9l4fy.jpg

TMbUT.jpg

Big thanks to Devolution for designing this. Came out awesome. GAF ball mostly survived.

Wow it came out great. I always cross my fingers on prints since the screen can't always be trusted when it comes to colors and saturation/brightness on surfaces.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, another thing I want to see at PAX: regen field and/or auto-sentry.

I'm posting these as me and Demoncarnotaur speculate in Matchmaking, lol.

After 10 years, and just a few months away from the start of a new trilogy, where has Halo's innovation gone?
I don't think anyone's done episodic content like this in the console space. I don't think anyone's done it on PC either, for that matter. Obviously, the proof will be in the pudding (as to the quality of Spartan Ops), but it is innovative to have weekly episodic co-operative campaign DLC.

I see Spartan Ops as a significant innovation in the delivery model; the concept is pretty great.

It's in the content that is delivered that my questions arise. I've said this before, but delivery system aside, they're short Campaign missions; what else differentiates them from Campaign, in any significant way?

More significantly, where Firefight was pushing further toward customizable experiences, Spartan Ops goes the other way toward more strictly developer authored content.

One of the things I've always loved about Halo has been the tools Bungie has been building to let the community make their own content. Custom game types, maps, films, screenshots, Firefight game types - that's what they built up to with Reach. And in swapping out Firefight for Spartan Ops, a big chunk of the customization - and thus re-playability - of the game mode goes with it. The compensation is volume of content (50 missions is a LOT of missions). I may sing a different tune once the game is out, but right now, I'd rather have the customization back.

And this is setting aside the fact that I love Firefight because it's a survival mode - Last Man Standing - and that appears gone with Spartan Ops as well. So in terms of both feature set and appeal, it's looks like a step backward to me. This is not to say I'm not looking forward to Spartan Ops - I am. It's just that while it replaced Firefight as a co-op mode, it does not appear to have also carried over what I liked about that co-op mode.

I get the feeling at least some of the spartan ops missions will be very firefight like In nature, it would be cool if those particular missions had editable options

I really like the idea of spartan ops, I just wish it wasn't episodic. I know for a fact with how busy im going to be that everyone will have played through the new release before I get to to touch them, playing co op with someone who has beaten the game before is slightly crappy, I imagine spartan ops being the same. If it was all up front then at least I could blitz through that stuff with someone up front.

Ken

I'm still installing, and Ken said it's down? What server is GAF on?

Stormbluff Isle. I was on earlier and there was a server wide announcement that the servers would go down for maintenance for 20-60 minutes so I logged out for a break.

Looks like it's still up right now.

Trey

HaloGAF has good taste in games. Following the tradition of quality Halo sidepieces such as SSX and Counterstrike, GW2 promises a warm home to wait out the cold tundra that is the time between now and Halo 4's launch.

Edit: ken, servers are going down at midnight pdt, which is in eleven minutes.

FyreWulff

Wow it came out great. I always cross my fingers on prints since the screen can't always be trusted when it comes to colors and saturation/brightness on surfaces.

The guy seemed genuinely happy that he was able to do a two-color shirt, I guess a shitton of people come in and go "oh shit, money" -> one color design

So do you guys think we'll be getting the sandbox podcast with the bulletin, or not until PAX hits?

Anyone else taking time off from work for Halo 4. I have the 6-10th off. 5 days of Halo 4, so excited. Almost 2 months away!!

My group of buddies all took the whole week off too :D
~10 people lol

Shadders

After 10 years, and just a few months away from the start of a new trilogy, where has Halo's innovation gone?

To be honest, and this is something I've been saying for a couple of years. 343's number one priority with this game needs to be to make a good Halo game. They need to make a game that shows they're worthy of working on this franchise. Remember how Treyarch used to be looked at like IW's retard brother? 343 can't afford to be looked upon as Bungie's retard little brother.

Once they've shipped Halo 4 and it gets solid reviews and people are happy that the multiplayer is a worthy successor, then they can work on pushing the genre forward again.

We all want innovation, but I can totally understand why that might not be their priority with Halo 4.

Halo 5, on new hardware, with an experienced team.. Well, that needs to be a game changer.

feel

Dunno If I aim going to wear SLT Poison's GAF shirt. I still love Letter's one.
*wipes away single tear of joy*

edit-
Wondering, has 343i/MS confirmed that a PC version of Halo 4 is not ever happening? If they even as much as hinted about it like Metal Gear Rising, I would still keep my xbox LE preorder, but I would wait it out to be able to play for the first time at over 30fps. Not sure if my eyes can allow me to immerse myself into any campaign experience at 30fps anymore after months and months of 60/120 (and we don't even know if they will fail to lock it at a constant 30, like the previous games failed to). It would be so niiiice.

Shadders

Anyone else taking time off from work for Halo 4. I have the 6-10th off. 5 days of Halo 4, so excited. Almost 2 months away!!

I have the whole week booked off (as is standard practice for the release of a new Halo game), hopefully it'll be delivered on the Monday otherwise that whole day will be torture.

I'd pay $60 for Halo 3's multiplayer with Reach's netcode
and COD's player population
Back in the day when I thought it was still something Bungie might do in the future, I used to wish for Halo:CE's multiplayer with Halo2's xbox-live experience. After Halo3 came out I wanted a Halo2-sequel to be done. The fact is developers don't know how to continue a good thing. They always have to innovate something into the ground until it's unrecognizable. Halo: Believe Until Your Dreams are Shattered Year after Year :p

neoism

Furthermore, Spartan Ops only arrives as a replacement. A replacement for Firefight -- the first major feature to simply be phased out of Halo.

Which makes the lack of spark and innovation even more jarring.

Edit: I'm thinking of it this way; up to now, every major Halo instalment has brought to the table significantly more features and content than the last. Halo 2 introduced online multiplayer. Halo 3 brought forge and theatre to the table, in combination with a revolutionary online infrastructure. Reach... well, actually, it arguably didn't introduce anything major, firefight being a previous innovation. Halo 4... well, it adds Spartan Ops, in return for Firefight...

Yeah, re-playability is a major issue. I really hope 343 have made that the priority, but I'm not sure how it could ever live up to Firefight in that regard given what we know.
yeah hopefully its random enemies with random postions so after playing an episode 3 times your not bored with it.... I will miss FF.. :/ Should of been in 4 with SO

Top Bottom