• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

nillapuddin

It depends on how good default Halo 4 is. If the game out of the box is not competitive then why would you use it for a competitive league?

I find this hard to grasp because I dont understand your definition of competitive, Im not disagreeing, I just dont understand

The most stripped down version of Halo 4 will undoubtedly lack personal ordnance, custom loadouts and mods.

What (in your opinion) will keep that from being "competitive"?
Have you seen evidence thus far that Halo 4 is not "competitive"

*Im not using "competitive" to be a dick, Im just unclear on the definition your working from

p.s.
im glad steely isnt blinded with nostalgia, I love Halo 2 but as Ive stated previously, not sure the anniversary treatment is best for it

Any new version of Halo 2 needs to be a remake. It's an unfinished game, people aren't going to buy it again.

I'd almost be tempted to say put it off for a while, and remake Halo 2 AND Halo 3 into one game. Re-instate Forerunner Ship as a glue level and just go straight into H3's story.

Definitely dropping (whatever it takes) bucks on that

FyreWulff

Personally, I would be shocked if we don't see Halo 5 in 2014, that's just my opinion of course though.

I love the shit out of Halo 2, but I honestly don't want to see an Anniversary to that game. It is so buggy that simply pulling a new graphics engine overtop everything like they did with CE might not work as well as it did with CE.

Any new version of Halo 2 needs to be a remake. It's an unfinished game, people aren't going to buy it again.

I'd almost be tempted to say put it off for a while, and remake Halo 2 AND Halo 3 into one game. Re-instate Forerunner Ship as a glue level and just go straight into H3's story.

senador

Banned
Personally, I would be shocked if we don't see Halo 5 in 2014, that's just my opinion of course though.

I love the shit out of Halo 2, but I honestly don't want to see an Anniversary to that game. It is so buggy that simply pulling a new graphics engine overtop everything like they did with CE might not work as well as it did with CE.

I'd love to see Halo 5 in 2014 and also expect it then. I don't want yearly Halo but 3 years is just too long.

I'd like a Halo 2 Anniversary because it's the only one now that feels pretty outdated. Makes Halo playthroughs weird. But yeah, I don't really see it happening soon.

willow ve

Halo 2 can just be an XBLA multiplayer download. Yes, it might be nice to have the sadistic Halo 2 campaign, but that's not what really "made" the game.

In CE it was campaign (and LAN parties), but mostly campaign. In Halo 2 it was all about multiplayer and that's what they should give the fans.

If there was a Halo 2 Anniversary they really need to not skip on the multiplayer. The campaign for the game is the worst of the bunch and not enough to pull a facelift, but solely on the intended design and presentation the multiplayer was ace. Take out the superjumping and button glitches and you've got something special there.

Halo 2 can just be an XBLA multiplayer download. Yes, it might be nice to have the sadistic Halo 2 campaign, but that's not what really "made" the game.

In CE it was campaign (and LAN parties), but mostly campaign. In Halo 2 it was all about multiplayer and that's what they should give the fans.
I'm playing Perfect Dark Zero on Dark Agent right now and believe me that game makes Halo 2 Legendary look like fucking Care Bears. This shit is merciless in a way unlike any console FPS I've played lol.

TheOddOne

Upstream Bandwidth: WARNING! -- Decent matches and hits register.
Upstream Bandwidth: Good -- Everything is borked.

Upside down world we live in. Quite 3 matches of just awfulness.

If there was a Halo 2 Anniversary they really need to not skip on the multiplayer. The campaign for the game is the worst of the bunch and not enough to pull a facelift, but solely on the intended design and presentation the multiplayer was ace. Take out the superjumping and button glitches and you've got something special there.
Why take button glitches out? Its part of the game at this point.

FyreWulff

Why take button glitches out? Its part of the game at this point.

Awesome. Halo 2 XBLA Multi would just be an arms race to get all the glitches working again, then everyone from 2004 drives away all the new players with the glitches, and then it's a ghost town as everyone goes back to 3, Reach and 4.

I find this hard to grasp because I dont understand your definition of competitive, Im not disagreeing, I just dont understand

The most stripped down version of Halo 4 will undoubtedly lack personal ordnance, custom loadouts and mods.

*Im not using "competitive" to be a dick, Im just unclear on the definition your working from

p.s.
im glad steely isnt blinded with nostalgia, I love Halo 2 but as Ive stated previously, not sure the anniversary treatment is best for it
Something having "competitive merit" or not is hard to define, and that definition varies from group to group and person to person.

One thing I will say that I feel strongly is not competitive is programmed randomness. An example of this is the "random" global ordnance drops in H4. It is intentionally programmed by the developers to not be predictable or consistent. A game mechanic, ability, or weapon that isn't predictable or consistent is bad thing, and isn't competitive in my opinion.

Note: I don't actually know how "random" the global ordnance is (something I hope to find out this weekend), but the concept I'm trying to convey still stands.

That would be awesome, but I doubt we'll ever see something like this.

I'm in favor of scraping all side-games or remakes in-between major releases and have major release every 2 years, and consistent DLC support.

Overdoziz

Banned

Dude, I haven't anything regarding Halo 4 yet. For all we know it's great for competitive play.

Competitive settings mean that there's a big overall skill-gap. Having the AR as a starting weapon would be terrible because it has a small skill-gap. Faster movement speed and faster kill-times will make the game play much faster which requires players to make decisions faster which ups the overall skill-gap (to a certain extend of course). Armor Lock, the Bubble Shield and Reach's bloom all - among other things - slow down the game so they're not very fit for competitive play.

nillapuddin

Something having "competitive merit" or not is hard to define, and that definition varies from group to group and person to person.

One thing I will say that I feel strongly is not competitive is programmed randomness. An example of this is the "random" global ordnance drops in H4. It is intentionally programmed by the developers to not be predictable or consistent. A game mechanic, ability, or weapon that isn't predictable or consistent is bad thing, and isn't competitive in my opinion.

Note: I don't actually know how "random" the global ordnance is (something I hope to find out this weekend), but the concept I'm trying to convey still stands.

That is completely understandable, and I overlooked that in my previous posts.

Without Custom Loadouts, Personal Ordnance, Infinity Shuffled Ordnance, and Armor Mods.

In my opinion I feel like that can be a very competitive game, its essentially Halo 1-3 with sprint for everyone.

You have now removed every bit of fog from the battlefield.

If Im thinking it, I find it hard to believe 343 hasnt already thought of it, so I trust em, especially if they are working with the pros so closely.

Dude, I haven't anything regarding Halo 4 yet. For all we know it's great for competitive play.

Competitive settings mean that there's a big overall skill-gap. Having the AR as a starting weapon would be terrible because it has a small skill-gap. Faster movement speed and faster kill-times will make the game play much faster which requires players to make decisions faster which ups the overall skill-gap (to a certain extend of course). Armor Lock, the Bubble Shield and Reach's bloom all - among other things - slow down the game so they're not very fit for competitive play.

Well thats what Im saying, in your opinion, with Halo 4 boiled down to the lowest common denominator, should it be given a chance to stand on its own as a competitive and a social title?

Im just advocating to hold off on all the gameplay changes, reduce it down all day, but keep the game the same.

If you can agree with that, then theres nothing more to discuss really, if you disagree, then I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Hey You

I don't get why you guys think if H2 ever gets remade, they would include multiplayer. It would split the population up more than CEA did and probably have a impact on DLC sales.

I remember the last time a shooter was brought back on XBLA, with all of it's bugs 100% intact, including ones that let you instantly reload.

The online was absolutely dead 3 weeks after release, even though it sold 400,000+ copies in the first week.
Is this a Perfect Dark post?

*sigh* Guess I gotta take another drink.

TheOddOne

I remember the last time a shooter was brought back on XBLA, with all of it's bugs 100% intact, including ones that let you instantly reload.

The online was absolutely dead 3 weeks after release, even though it sold 400,000+ copies in the first week.
Multiplayer XBLA games in a nutshell. Nobody ever sticks around, was gutted when the whole Monday Night Combat community vanished overnight.

Yes, that is definitely due to the glitches and not because every game on XBLA is a ghost town within a month.

Weren't you not able to play with your friends in PD for XBLA? That might have had a big part to play in that

FyreWulff

Is this a Perfect Dark post?

*sigh* Guess I gotta take another drink.

I was trying to avoid raising Tashi's counter :lol

But seriously, same thing gonna happen to a Halo 2 XBLA release. All the oldbies will have their fun creaming newbies with glitches, newbies will ragequit, Halo 2 XBLA a ghost town after a month when the combination of not wanting to have to learn a ream of out-of-sandbox exploits and the new XBLA hotness comes around. 343 then cuts down Halo 2's playlists to Team Slayer and Super Slayer.

Meanwhile, the modernized PD that came out ages ago still has a solid base of players playing it to this day.

Apples and oranges.

That'll be the gameplay of Halo 2 XBLA with glitches. Team Knows All The Glitches versus Team Doesn't Know Them

Meanwhile, the modernized PD that came out ages ago still has a solid base of players playing it to this day.
That's weird because I tried finding a game at several points in the day the past few days in my downtime chipping away at the single player and haven't found a single match yet.

kylej

Banned
are you seriously saying the success of perfect dark xbla would be directly equitable to the success of Halo 2 xbla.

lol

FyreWulff

Weren't you not able to play with your friends in PD for XBLA? That might have had a big part to play in that

Yes, and that's why Microsoft needs to stop letting 4J port shit. They have no fucking idea what they're doing with those old Rare properties.

Here's an idea, let Rare port them, it's not like they're doing anything else of note these days.

are you seriously saying the success of perfect dark xbla would be directly equitable to the success of Halo 2 xbla.

lol

No, H2XBLA multi would be equitable to the success of a Halo 1 XBLA multiplayer direct port. Ghost town in a month. It'd make more sense to make a Halo 2 map pack for Halo 4.

Gazzawa

The XBLA version use to have a lot of girls playing. Like with headset and all and yelling. Man, it was like you found a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I'm gonna cry now.

lol when that happens i always send friend requests with the message: "R U hawt gurl??"

Redford

aka Cabbie
I'll miss medals as we previously knew them... I remember when having a (non-swords/infection/grifball) killtrocity in your service record was something in Halo 3. Halo 3 had about the right amount of medals. Bunch of cool style ones but very conservative compared to Reach.

The Angry ____ stuff has been at BK for years, it's their spicy stuff.

I'm sad that people consider Chipotle the pinnacle of Mexican food
I eat at Qdoba on a regular basis. Naked burrito with guacamole please! I've done Chipotle, too, and the majority if not all of my friends think it has an edge on Qdoba. But the difference is so subtle that I don't really have strong feelings over one or the other. Chipotle charges almost twice as much for the guacamole, so I'm inclined to do Qdoba more often. All I care about from Burger King is the Rodeo Burger and Whopper with Cheese. Now I'm hungry... Let's eat. Oh yeah, something something Halo4 woot woot raise the roof :p

EDIT:

No, H2XBLA multi would be equitable to the success of a Halo 1 XBLA multiplayer direct port. Ghost town in a month.
Not sure why people would get all excited over Halo2 when it was still going during Halo3. It's not exactly like we didn't get to play it on xbox live. But I think halo 1 would be able to sustain a population, even if only a small one. I would jump back into it like it had never left.

Dug

Banned
I'll miss medals as we previously knew them... I remember when having a (non-swords/infection) killtrocity in your service record was something in Halo 3. Halo 3 had about the right amount of medals. Bunch of cool style ones but very conservative compared to Reach.
I hope "Mmmmm, Brains" medal is in Halo 4. I love the voice for that one.

FyreWulff

I hope "Mmmmm, Brains" medal is in Halo 4. I love the voice for that one.

Well, I guess we know that Hell's Jerome isn't coming back.

edit: Need to find that BWU that had all the cut Announcer lines, like "BRODASAURUS REX" for getting spawned on a bunch of times in Invasion.

I wonder why Fyre ignores me whenever I mention XBLA games in general die a quick death and that PDZ has no one playing it. I don't know how he sees no one playing either and draws the conclusion that one is unpopulated because of bringing over the original glitches, and the other has a healthy population because it's a 20FPS modernized jankfest that is near universally reviled by both fans of the series and newcomers.

I didn't ignore you. Thread moves fast, dude. For the record, I tried a week ago and got a match in one that was 90% humans. Believe me, I try to barely acknowledge PDZ exists, because it is an abomination.

edit: I only played it because my job required me to.

I wonder why Fyre ignores me whenever I mention XBLA games in general die a quick death and that PDZ has no one playing it. I don't know how he sees no one playing either and draws the conclusion that one is unpopulated because of bringing over the original glitches, and the other has a healthy population because it's a 20FPS modernized jankfest that is near universally reviled by both fans of the series and newcomers.

BigShow36

MLG should differntiate itself by having a mix of Slayer and Objective. Using custom maps, and altering/dictating weapon placement and timers.

Leave the general physics of the game alone and you'll have a lot more crossover players and fans.

The problem is when the general physics of the game are bad.

If we have the option to increase the movement speed without ****ing up the strafe, it should be a day one change for any competitive minded players.

willow ve

The problem is when the general physics of the game are bad.

If we have the option to increase the movement speed without ****ing up the strafe, it should be a day one change for any competitive minded players.

That's the same mentality that will say the game is ALWAYS too slow. Even if the base movement is faster than the Reach or 3 MLG settings. You have sprint now as default. Coming up with a tweaked physics model for the game doesn't make the MLG players better or worse, it just makes them a smaller and smaller niche market. Rarely will you get people who love Halo that cross over into MLG; they're just too different at this point.

TheOddOne

lol when that happens i always send friend requests with the message: "R U hawt gurl??"
I find it funny when ladies called me "Odd" in-game. "Odd, defend the base", "Odd, make turrents, here money", "THEY KILLED ODDDDDDDDDDDD, NOOOOOOOOO. THOSE BASTARDS" and "Odd, WE WILL AVENGE YOU".

The best first response I got was "We should friend Odd. That sounded Odd".

Gazzawa

I find it funny when ladies called me "Odd" in-game. "Odd, defend the base", "Odd, make turrents, here money", "THEY KILLED ODDDDDDDDDDDD, NOOOOOOOOO. THOSE BASTARDS" and "Odd, WE WILL AVENGE YOU".

The best first response I got was "We should friend Odd. That sounded Odd".

Bro, will you be my XboxLive wingman? We can scour those unplayed playlists for unsuspecting girls.

I didn't ignore you. Thread moves fast, dude. For the record, I tried a week ago and got a match in one that was 90% humans. Believe me, I try to barely acknowledge PDZ exists, because it is an abomination.

edit: I only played it because my job required me to.
I'm warming up to it even though it doesn't come close to the original. They were ahead of the curve in shitty cover system implementation.

This page is full of Fyrewulff unable to adapt to pressing a series of buttons...

And Barrow quit giving away our secret drinking game. Hell figure it out and make us drink ourselves to death.

FyreWulff

I'm warming up to it even though it doesn't come close to the original. They were ahead of the curve in shitty cover system implementation.

I'm still amused at the original story of why Perfect Dark Zero has rolling. From one of the interviews of a Rare employee that was there at the time, it was basically an MS exec producer going "why doesn't this game have jumping, Halo has jumping", then Rare was like "we're not putting jumping into Perfect Dark, it's not designed around it", they talked him down to the combat roll. edit: There's a retail FPS out there I know of that has iron sights from executive meddling, but it wasn't MS in that one.

This page is full of Fyrewulff unable to adapt to pressing a series of buttons...

And Barrow quit giving away our secret drinking game. Hell figure it out and make us drink ourselves to death.

I can do all the Halo 2 glitches in my sleep homie

Beckx

Bro, will you be my XboxLive wingman? We can scour those unplayed playlists for unsuspecting girls.

p3.jpg

Top Bottom