• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Yeah I would actually be kinda surprised if they didn't, since nearly every press release refers to the existing Spartan Ops as "Season 1".

It'll be interesting to see how much it costs. Maybe the second season wouldn't be as long so it would be a bit more reasonable to produce?

I would personally prefer the investment to go towards making multilayer maps, although if they can have two separate dlc teams, one for Ops and one for multi then I would be happy.

Vire

I would personally prefer the investment to go towards making multilayer maps, although if they can have two separate dlc teams, one for Ops and one for multi then I would be happy.

Well I mean they already confirmed 3 maps packs (9 maps) are in the works, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Fuchsdh

I'm pretty sure if Ops was somehow a horrible failure that they would instead devote those resources to other multi content. Two teams seems likely.

5 days? Sheesh. Too much IMO.

I'm out of contract and not working now but if I should be by then and plan to just take the 6th if possible.

Edit: You got mentioned by Allison: https://twitter.com/alisonst/status/240723464963633152

Haha so awesome!

My group of buddies all took the whole week off too :D
~10 people lol

Thats amazing, I got my friend to take a couple off as well when I told him what I did.

Just make sure you dont meet your boss at the midnight launch!

He took a week off for Diablo, I don't think he will mind :p

I have the whole week booked off (as is standard practice for the release of a new Halo game), hopefully it'll be delivered on the Monday otherwise that whole day will be torture.

I never do midnight launches, but I will be for this game, especially with a lot of my friends on another coast. I always get packages delivered late so the extra 3 hours in time zones doesn't help.

Ha! I've got the entire semester off uni. Can play as much as I want :D

Awesome! I dont work certain days off the week, so i requested the 6th,7th and 9th since I wont work the 9th and 10th.

I'm off the 7th, and I'm starting extra early on the 6th so I can go home earlier.

Hells yeah man.

3rd - 12th, an extra Monday because of Veteran's day here in the US on the 12th. Can't wait.

This guy knows whats up. 10 days of Halo 4. We're going to need to get an IV drip by the end of it.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
I've thought it over... I don't think I really care what settings are used in Dallas.

BUT I'M SO EXCITED!

ijYCGLeGxY70w.gif

It saddens me that they haven't shown any features yet that help the experienced Forger. A magnet system is only useful for someone who rarely use Forge anyway, same with the object copy system. I use Forge regularly and I can align objects pretty fast with relative ease. I can also go through the object menu quickly so a copy option is nice but not exactly something people asked for. Now if you could group together a bunch of objects and copy that group that would be useful. An option to mirror groups of objects would be even better especially for symmetrical maps.

So far it doesn't seem like they've actually done much about the functionality of Forge. A performance meter, undo/redo option, object grouping, etc. All that kind of stuff is what I would like to see. The jump from Halo 3 to Reach Forge was incredibly in terms of how much easier they made it to make proper maps. Nothing seems to point towards a similar jump from Reach to Halo 4 which is disappointing.

I'm interested in seeing what the other two Forge maps and palettes look like. For some reason I've got a feeling they will just use the same objects and slap different textures on them. I hope I'm wrong.

Also, I remember when Frankie said (or hinted) that there would be a big flat surface available in Forge for you to build maps on. If that's just a big grey or white object that would be very disappointing. A huge flat object with - for example - grass on one side and sand on the other would be great so switch things up a bit visually. The coliseum walls in Reach get boring real fast.
Great post. I was fairly disappointed that the RTX footage basically showed a snazzier version of Reach's Forge and not something far more robust. Whenever 343 decides to release real information about it, I hope there's something I can get excited about. Reach didn't solve any more problems than it created, and it really took the forging life out of me. :-(

This weekend was some straight up Planes, Trains and Automobiles shit.
"You can start by wiping that fucking dumb-ass smile off your rosey, fucking, cheeks! And you can give me a fucking automobile: a fucking Datsun, a fucking Toyota, a fucking Mustang, a fucking Buick! Four fucking wheels and a seat!"

Please tell me this was said during your travels.

Well I mean they already confirmed 3 maps packs (9 maps) are in the works, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Ah yeah fair point, I wonder if that season pass allows access to further series of Spartan ops aswell as multiplayer dlc?

I am right in thinking there is a separate season pass aswell as the pass included in the limited edition of the game right?

Ah yeah fair point, I wonder if that season pass allows access to further series of Spartan ops aswell as multiplayer dlc?

I am right in thinking there is a separate season pass aswell as the pass included in the limited edition of the game right?
the pass in the Limited edition should just be a download code FOR the season pass. why do two separate items?

So strange to hear about the size of America in driving terms. I could drive a few hours and be in two different countries, Scotland and Wales.

I get to enjoy an odd dynamic. I can drive about ~1 hour and be in Mexico, drive about 8 hours and still be in my state, drive 8 hours 1 minute and be in 4 different states at once, or drive 14 hours and still have only travelled through half of my state and part of TX.

Hey kids, where am I!?

I wonder how LaughTrey feels about this news?

TIFHP.gif

The Angry ____ stuff has been at BK for years, it's their spicy stuff.

I'm sad that people consider Chipotle the pinnacle of Mexican food

I'm sad that people consider Tex-Mex to be Mexican food, period. Granted, especially around here, we have absolutely amazing local Tex-Mex, but it's nothing like actual Mexican food.

senador

Banned
Chipotle is good but it's not anything special IMO. Are they rare or something? I have several within 20 minutes of me in Utah and 1 within 2 minutes.

I do think they are special in that they get their food from better places and are more environmentally friendly than most other places.

The day u4ix smiled.

That's just his ball chin.

FyreWulff

the pass in the Limited edition should just be a download code FOR the season pass. why do two separate items?

The LE Mattrick Pass and the Mattrick Pass you can buy give you separate armor bonuses, and only the LE one gives you the early specialization unlocks. (I think I got this right)

There's a post a while back where I attempted to predict what each placeholder content item for Halo 4 was on it's marketplace page, and it roughly matches up with there being two separate passes (and therefore separate code types)

nillapuddin

With all the talk about MLG using different settings, and how crazy it has been implemented in Reach

(Im mostly oblivious here btw)

Why can there not be a line drawn in the sand and say "H4 MLG will use default settings, period" ?

I dont care if they disable personal ordnance, or create standard preset-loadouts, but why mess with the run, jump, gravity, damage?

I "get" that they are trying to make it more "competitive" but it just seems like it really splinters the players, its almost like 2 different games at some point.

Im not stubborn enough to think MLG should be vanilla, its just my opinion it isnt the best decision to change soo much, the core gameplay should remain the same, the tertiary things can be altered to hell.

In my most humble opinion

GhaleonEB

Spartan Ops could be a way to extend the time frame that we see DLC for Halo 4, to provide new content in the 2-3 years between games (likely 3 years). If we get the three map packs in the first year, which seems likely given the season pass model, they could roll out the Spartan Ops missions in Season 2 some time in year 2 (after release). If CA is doing Spartan Ops as well as the DLC maps, it would make sense to sequence them that way from a development standpoint as well.

[/random speculation]

The LE Mattrick Pass and the Mattrick Pass you can buy give you separate armor bonuses, and only the LE one gives you the early specialization unlocks. (I think I got this right)

There's a post a while back where I attempted to predict what each placeholder content item for Halo 4 was on it's marketplace page, and it roughly matches up with there being two separate passes (and therefore separate code types)
All of the bonuses in the LE will probably be separate codes. I doubt 343 is stupid enough to not use the season pass in the LE. But honestly I don't care, both of the season pass helmets look like shit.

Vire

Spartan Ops could be a way to extend the time frame that we see DLC for Halo 4, to provide new content in the 2-3 years between games (likely 3 years). If we get the three map packs in the first year, which seems likely given the season pass model, they could roll out the Spartan Ops missions in Season 2 some time in year 2 (after release). If CA is doing Spartan Ops as well as the DLC maps, it would make sense to sequence them that way from a development standpoint as well.

[/random speculation]

I really hope CA isn't doing the map packs.

Call me crazy but I'm not a fan of the Defiant Map Pack...

Striker

Reach didn't solve any more problems than it created, and it really took the forging life out of me. :-(
It definitely made it easier, and less frustrating. The main problems with it was the dull colors in the palette (as it's had in every Forge variation) and the lack of a flat terrian, or at least a decent amount of it. Putting blocks together in 3's Forge was a chore, and often took multiple tries. To put a line of blocks or items together took several minutes - just a big waste of time in the end. What H4 Forge needs is more flat surfaces. It at least saves players from creating a solid wall color as a floor.

Would I love for something like Far Cry's editor? Absolutely, but I wasn't expecting it in this game. I do think Theater needs to be improved greatly - stepping back and just having things like party viewing or watching clips with friends is not what I have in mind, either. Port to Youtube/other video or bust.

FyreWulff

All of the bonuses in the LE will probably be separate codes. I doubt 343 is stupid enough to not use the season pass in the LE. But honestly I don't care, both of the season pass helmets look like shit.

Here's the post

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41189827&postcount=1328

Prediction is just for fun, etc

I really hope CA isn't doing the map packs.

Call me crazy but I'm not a fan of the Defiant Map Pack...

I'm the other way, I highly enjoyed their original efforts and wish they'd stop being saddled with remaking Hang Em High over and over again. The only thing that annoyed me about Certain Affinity's content is that they seemed to absolutely hate one-way shield doors, which limited the forge-ability of their maps as you can only block things off, not control the flow.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Roundtrip for me would be around 400$ for the flight alone. I can manage that.

MLG Dallas here I come!

Chipotle is good but it's not anything special IMO. Are they rare or something? I have several within 20 minutes of me in Utah and 1 within 2 minutes.

I've actually never been. Closest one to me is 3 hours away in Albuquerque, I believe. And I'm pretty sure it's the only one in the city.

Overdoziz

Banned
With all the talk about MLG using different settings, and how crazy it has been implemented in Reach

(Im mostly oblivious here btw)

Why can there not be a line drawn in the sand and say "H4 MLG will use default settings, period" ?

I dont care if they disable personal ordnance, or create standard preset-loadouts, but why mess with the run, jump, gravity, damage?

I "get" that they are trying to make it more "competitive" but it just seems like it really splinters the players, its almost like 2 different games at some point.

Im not stubborn enough to think MLG should be vanilla, its just my opinion it isnt the best decision to change soo much, the core gameplay should remain the same, the tertiary things can be altered to hell.

In my most humble opinion
Because the default settings for the past few games have been shit, that's why.

nillapuddin

Because the default settings for the past few games have been shit, that's why.

forget Reach, were not talking about Reach or 3, Im saying Day 1 Halo 4 gameplay settings.

You honestly think it would be to Halo 4 and MLG's detriment if they used default gameplay settings?

From my POV I find it hard to find the cons.

Edit:
MLG players hate playing default Reach, non-MLG players hate playing MLG, because they feel like 2 different games.

Im just saying, they should have a unified gameplay settings across all gametypes,
the only things that should change in ANY PLAYLISTS,
  • allow/disallow custom loadouts
  • allow/disallow armor mods
  • allow/disallow personal ordnance

FyreWulff

forget Reach, were not talking about Reach or 3, Im saying Day 1 Halo 4 gameplay settings.

You honestly think it would be to Halo 4 and MLG's detriment if they used default gameplay settings?

I wish they would. There was some stuff about the previous settings that felt like change for the sake of change so it'd be "pro" without any real reason or discovery process behind it.

Like, I'm just assuming 110% speed. It wouldn't matter if Halo 4's default speed was equivalent to the 110% speed, it will be 110% because someone is trying to look like they're doing something.

The MLG game has diverged significantly from the mainline and it's hard to get worked up when what they're playing is notably different from what most everyone is playing. I wish they'd actually start off with default and then evolve their gametype from there, make it resemble the main game like Halo 1 and 2, avoid the divergence that started with 3 and went into another track completely with Reach.

But I guess this is also why some of us want to just see a Team Hardcore that MLG consults on along with other hardcore communities, but not an actual out-and-out MLG list.

[/random speculation]
I'm extremely curious to find out how/in what ways SpOps is going to be different than the campaign. Right now I'm expecting ODST-type missions where we can use our snazzy custom armor and loadouts. Will it contain modifiers like skulls? If so, how are they going to be implemented? It doesn't seem like a Firefight progression of difficulty will work from a relatively uninformed viewpoint.

It definitely made it easier, and less frustrating. The main problems with it was the dull colors in the palette (as it's had in every Forge variation) and the lack of a flat terrian, or at least a decent amount of it. Putting blocks together in 3's Forge was a chore, and often took multiple tries. To put a line of blocks or items together took several minutes - just a big waste of time in the end. What H4 Forge needs is more flat surfaces. It at least saves players from creating a solid wall color as a floor.

Would I love for something like Far Cry's editor? Absolutely, but I wasn't expecting it in this game. I do think Theater needs to be improved greatly - stepping back and just having things like party viewing or watching clips with friends is not what I have in mind, either. Port to Youtube/other video or bust.
It was a bit of a pain in the early days of Foundry, but once the glitch was found where you could merge objects together, it made a tedious process incredibly fast. I think what it boiled down to for me was the worst color palette out of the previous two already-bad schemes, terrible framerate before a piece is put down (looking at you, Quarry and Cave), and as you mentioned no really good flat place to start with. It's actually kind of amazing that with two months to go before the game's release, there's still so much to learn about what H4 has in store for us. These pretzels are making me thirsty!

I wish they would. There was some stuff about the previous settings that felt like change for the sake of change so it'd be "pro" without any real reason or discovery process behind it.

Like, I'm just assuming 110% speed. It wouldn't matter if Halo 4's default speed was equivalent to the 110% speed, it will be 110% because someone is trying to look like they're doing something.

The MLG game has diverged significantly from the mainline and it's hard to get worked up when what they're playing is notably different from what most everyone is playing. I wish they'd actually start off with default and then evolve their gametype from there, make it resemble the main game like Halo 1 and 2, avoid the divergence that started with 3 and went into another track completely with Reach.

But I guess this is also why some of us want to just see a Team Hardcore that MLG consults on along with other hardcore communities, but not an actual out-and-out MLG list.

I like this guy

nillapuddin

There was some stuff about the previous settings that felt like change for the sake of change so it'd be "pro" without any real reason or discovery process behind it.

The MLG game has diverged significantly from the mainline.

Well put, I specifically agree with both of the above

I late edited with:
IMO, the only things that should change in ANY PLAYLISTS

I feel like were on the same page, at the very least if MLG/hardcore HAD* to alter the gameplay settings, it cannot happen at launch, I feel like they really need to give the game a chance to flourish across all communities.

*i dont think it should ever diverge

having the auto-update is great, but missing out on edits sucks

All they really need to take out are the AAs and Specializations.
Honestly, because the Halo 4 tourney is pre-release and basically a cross-promotion event (largely to promote Halo 4), I wouldn't be surprised if they play default settings. They just pick their 11 gametypes for the tournament.

Of course if MLG picks up the game for the circuit in the new year, they would make their own settings.
Do I look like a cheap hooker to you?
Yes.

[/random speculation]

I agree with the posts that a season 2 of Spartan Ops is extremely likely, as they'll want to go into production for it pretty soon if they want to deliver it in a timely manner. Then a possible season 3 will be a wait and see how the feature is received before the green light is given. Assuming that Spartan Ops is a lot of fun, I would be horrified if we didn't get a season 2 until the second year after the release of the game. Season 1 will be over before the end of this year.

Worth noting that I also base all my DLC release date speculation on Halo 5 coming out in 2 years.

Honestly, because the Halo 4 tourney is pre-release and basically a cross-promotion event (largely to promote Halo 4), I wouldn't be surprised if they play default settings. They just pick their 11 gametypes for the tournament.

Of course if MLG picks up the game for the circuit in the new year, they would make their own settings.

Yes.

I agree with the posts that a season 2 of Spartan Ops is extremely likely, as they'll want to go into production for it pretty soon if they want to deliver it in a timely manner. Then a possible season 3 will be a wait and see how the feature is received before the green light is given. Assuming that Spartan Ops is a lot of fun, I would be horrified if we didn't get a season 2 until the second year after the release of the game. Season 1 will be over before the end of this year.

Worth noting that I also base all my DLC release date speculation on Halo 5 coming out in 2 years.

I see HALO 5 coming 2015 with a HALO 2 Anniversary in 2014.

Overdoziz

Banned

Edit:
MLG players hate playing default Reach, non-MLG players hate playing MLG, because they feel like 2 different games.

Im just saying, they should have a unified gameplay settings across all gametypes,
the only things that should change in ANY PLAYLISTS,
It depends on how good default Halo 4 is. If the game out of the box is not competitive then why would you use it for a competitive league?

MLG doesn't just create gametype settings that will draw in a big crowd, they also create settings that are fun in a competitive scene. You can't always combine these two. I agree that Reach MLG is a completely different game than default Reach but that is because default Reach is horrible for competitive play. Same with Halo 3 but to a lesser extend.

willow ve

MLG should differntiate itself by having a mix of Slayer and Objective. Using custom maps, and altering/dictating weapon placement and timers.

Leave the general physics of the game alone and you'll have a lot more crossover players and fans.

I see HALO 5 coming 2015 with a HALO 2 Anniversary in 2014.

Personally, I would be shocked if we don't see Halo 5 in 2014, that's just my opinion of course though.

I love the shit out of Halo 2, but I honestly don't want to see an Anniversary to that game. It is so buggy that simply pulling a new graphics engine overtop everything like they did with CE might not work as well as it did with CE.

Top Bottom