• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Call me a fanboy, but I still got chills during the Halo 4 trailer at E3. And I had seen it numerous times beforehand!
Yeah, but there were a few let downs that tarnish it for me. Chief needlessly calling out the crawlers as "Hostiles", and the Promethean Knight skull heads, which I still think is a pretty awful design choice... Small critiques, but enough to knock it out of my favorite trailers/teasers.

(Edit : Wait, are you talking about the campaign demo from E3 2012? Cause now I realize you might have been talking about something else, haha.)

I just thought of something. Halo 4 campaign spoilers:
I'm really curious to see how Cortana and Halsey will react to each other when reunited.

Enfinit

That's kind of harsh, although Enfinit was kind of embarrassing in
It happens to the best of us.

Call me a fanboy, but I still got chills during the Halo 4 trailer at E3. And I had seen it numerous times beforehand!
The teaser trailer still gives me nerd chills to this day. I knew it was coming when it premiered at E3 2011, however just seeing Chief again turned me back into a ten year old boy. So good.

Yeah, but there were a few let downs that tarnish it for me. Chief needlessly calling out the crawlers as "Hostiles", and the Promethean Knight skull heads, which I still think is a pretty awful design choice... Small critiques, but enough to knock it out of my favorite trailers/teasers.

I'm really curious to see how Cortana and Halsey will react to each other when reunited.

I'm reeaaaallly hoping that Halsey's appearance isn't going to result in a total cop-out regarding Cortana's rampancy.

GhaleonEB

I felt a great disturbance in the HaloGAF, as if millions of irrelevant posts suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something useful has happened.

Unrelated, but zoojoo check your PMs.

Oh, that was perfect.

I dedicate these lines from Zoo Station, off of U2's masterpiece Achtung, Baby, to the fallen.

Time is a train, it makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station, your face pressed up against the glass​

Question: is there a "Recent Screenshots" auto upload to Waypoint, or do I need to park every one of them in file share?

crazybydefault

Neo Member

(Edit : Wait, are you talking about the campaign demo from E3 2012? Cause now I realize you might have been talking about something else, haha.)

Yeah, I was talking about the display of the trailer beforehand!

I also found the Promethean Knight skull heads to be a strange design choice. I can understand how they took the Forerunner relationship to humanity, but it just appeared too human.

Question: is there a "Recent Screenshots" auto upload to Waypoint, or do I need to park every one of them in file share?
Assuming your gamertag is the same as your username here (yeah, I'm a junior and don't quite know people. Laugh at me.), it should be here.

feel

I like the skull head thing, seems like some sort of hologram device meant to display something that tries to prey on the fears of whatever enemy they're up against.

Ken

Yeah, I was talking about the display of the trailer beforehand!

I also found the Promethean Knight skull heads to be a strange design choice. I can understand how they took the Forerunner relationship to humanity, but it just appeared too human.

Cross overrrrr.

Huh, neat. Hadn't seen that before.

I like the skull head thing, seems like some sort of hologram device meant to prey on the fears of whatever enemy they're up against.

I think that'd be a neat concept, but I feel like it's a little too spooky-magic-y for the Forerunners.

Cross overrrrr.

I forgot how much of a colossal flop that game was.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That last flag run was unreal. Ninja indeed.

I like the skull head thing, seems like some sort of hologram device meant to display something that tries to prey on the fears of whatever enemy they're up against.
Huh, that's actually a really cool idea. Still, though, I agree with this:

I feel like it's a little too spooky-magic-y for the Forerunners.

GhaleonEB

So, Firefight Limited with Fyre and friends.

First game, Corvette. Right off the bat, a Wraith drops. No problem, I'm a pro at dropping these things and making a quick escape as the throng drops from the ships behind me.

Wraith1.jpg

Now, all I need to do is plant the grena....

Wraith2.jpg

*wham*

The Wraith tags the lip of the drop ship doors, and blows me off the back. The actual mortar hit isn't close enough to damage me, but the damage modeling on the Wraith is funky. While you are boarding it, any damage done to the Wraith passes through to you (you can be on the back, and Grunt can stick the front hood, and you'll die). So I get toasted as a result.

Not exactly a graceful start, but I make up for it the rest of the game and don't die again. Until...

Flash forward to the start of the final boss wave, in Round 3. One thing that's useful is the way enemies are stunned for a moment after they drop to the ground from the ship. You can tell they are defenseless when they are still crouched down like this. Great chance to toss some grenades and get an early stick.

Like this Chieftain toting an FRG, for example. He's a sitting duck.

Brute1.jpg

He's not dangerous until he stands up and takes aim to fi....

Brute2.jpg

wat

Brute3.jpg

You can imagine my surprise as I immolate while he's still pointing his FRG at the ground. It didn't even bounce off the floor, he just fired it up at me while pointing it down.

Both were amusing deaths at the time, but it's kind of disappointing to see I got cheated on both of them. This is one of Reach's failings, the way you can be killed because the game is cheating.

I hope Halo 4 is more fair in that regard.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Lol that was a really good recap. Almost better than watching a film of it, honestly!
Agreed. Photo stories are one of my favorite HaloGAF traditions. We need to bring'em back.

Edit : I really wish Halo 2 had a theater mode. Awesome stuff keeps on happening. :-(

FyreWulff

Here's your problem.

reach_engine.cpp said:
/*

if ( option.checked.skill ) { add_search_restriction("skill"); } // turn on skill match requirement
if ( option.checked.skill ) { add_search_restriction("language"); } // turn on language requirement
if ( option.checked.skill ) { add_search_restriction("connection"); } // turn on connection requirement

draw_model("brute",cur_ai.x,cur_ai,y,cur_ai.z, firing_vector); //sync brute model to firing vector
// this seems to be causing issues for now, remember to uncomment before launch
*/

draw_model("brute",cur_ai.x,cur_ai,y,cur_ai.z, ground);

if (spartan_spotted) { fire_bullet(); }

senador

Banned
No, please. Don't we have a thread specifically for Reach screenshots.

Why not? It's a nice change of pace, generally positive, totally on topic, and is visually pleasing.

Its definitely a nice thing to see after reading what is now the norm around here being that we are between Halo games.

Ken

? You don't like them? That much?

Why not? It's a nice change of pace, generally positive, totally on topic, and is visually pleasing.

Its definitely a nice thing to see after reading what is now the norm around here being that we are between Halo games.

My internet connection isn't great.

I would hate to sit around trying to load the page because someone thought it would be acceptable to quote a 10-picture story from the previous page.

Sai-kun

Banned
My internet connection isn't great.

I would hate to sit around trying to load the page because someone thought it would be acceptable to quote a 10-picture story from the previous page.

it's a wonder you get through all the GIFs that get posted

someone get mumei to tag the topic with a 56k warning!!

feel

Use Firefox or Chrome as your default gif viewing program on your pc, that way you can check if the speed is right before uploading.

Ken

it's a wonder you get through all the GIFs that get posted

someone get mumei to tag the topic with a 56k warning!!

.gifs load so slowly and move at like 1 frame per 5 seconds that I usually scroll past them, unless it's .gifs in that DoA5 thread.

Woorloog

Banned
EDIT WTF, empty post? Where did all the text go?
EDIT seriously, what the hell, i wrote a post, pressed reply and boom, everything's gone but the post is here.

Damn timezones, miss everything...

Also, lol@Ghaleon's luck. Fucking Reach AI.

Striker

I liked being able to veto in Halo 3 to avoid AR starts a bit more, but in Reach the voting means I play the same maps over and over again, whereas in Halo 3 there was usually more variety imo.
It meant you played more bad maps with no choice.

As it was stated before in this topic (which repeats itself every month or so), if the selection of maps we are given are at the very least above average, it's not a big deal if there's four options of voting, or none at all. Yeah, you might tire of playing the same map over in Reach, but given the choice in H3, you rather play BR's on x bad map (count 'em, there's plenty) over something more desirable? Then you factor in objectives, and you see things like Oddball on The Pit, or VIP anywhere. You can't change to CTF because the options were limited, and simply in general lacked decent variety.

FyreWulff

EDIT WTF, empty post? Where did all the text go?
EDIT seriously, what the hell, i wrote a post, pressed reply and boom, everything's gone but the post is here.

Damn timezones, miss everything...

Also, lol@Ghaleon's luck. Fucking Reach AI.

Yeah, I saw your empty post. Don't know how you pulled that off.

Also during our Firefight escapades tonight, I saw as a voting option we vetoed away:

Arcadefight on Installation 04
FF Limited on Installation 04
Rocketfight on Unearthed

I don't believe I've ever seen two different maps on a Firefight voting screen before.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah, I saw your empty post. Don't know how you pulled that off.

I don't believe I've ever seen two different maps on a Firefight voting screen before.

I wrote what i wanted, pressed "submit reply" and it all vanished. There are no banned words in GAF that would clear the whole message, are there?

I've seen two different maps. I think. In Score attack and FF Doubles at least. What list are we talking about?

FyreWulff

I wrote what i wanted, pressed "submit reply" and it all vanished. There are no banned words in GAF that would clear the whole message, are there?

I've seen two different maps. I think. In Score attack and FF Doubles at least. What list are we talking about?

Normal 4 man Firefight.

Don't know of any banned words that would trigger that. In theory I guess your browser could have somehow stripped/dropped the POST data randomly (this does happen), but if it did the GAF forum software should have theoretically rejected your post for empty post data.

So somehow the forum got to the point where it was all "okay, this post has enough characters in it, insert into the database" and then somehow removed the actual post data, leaving a row that had the post id and your account id but no actual post text.

In short, nanomachines.

edit: in other news, Unique Name from HBO noticed the Halo 4 Warthog now has a normal, non-futuristic suspension system:

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1149881

CyReN

Is it confirmed in to be in the US yet?

I though Mountain Dew "Energy" was a UK thing

Not sure yet but here's the uk info:
  • 4 trips to 343 Industries
  • 40 copies of Halo 4
  • Approximately 140 avatar items to win daily.

Competition will begin on the 24th of September

Flavor: Citrus and Raspberry

via Xiob

Top Bottom