• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Few more.

IMG_5044.JPG

He didn't use a wet wipe?

Stephen 08 confirmed for his teammate

I think the shift is that the flag carrier shouldn't be a one man army. If you have Rockets, your job should be to cover the flag carrier.

What's wrong with a one man army? Anyway the flag carrier never was Rambo unless they were highly skilled and secured the weapons for themselves.

So many of the changes in Halo 4 seem like spoonfed, braindead uninspired, unfun shit. Where's the discovery for the individual anymore? I remember when I discovered the power of the magnum in Halo CE. I remember when I started playing Halo 3 I didn't even know about flag juggling until I saw it happen in MM; I then gradually incorporated it into my own gameplay. This is called the process of learning, it's what gives videogames longevity and depth. I didn't think "Hang on a minute, someone who has played the game more than me is doing something I don't know about and it doesn't say anything about it in the manuel PATCH IT OUT, THEY'RE PRESSING BUTTONS IN AN ORDER I DON'T KNOW ABOUT".

Basically, I'm never picking the flag up ever again.

*The salt in this post seasoned by the news we know so far from Twitter, pending official explanation

Ramirez

Everyone was freaking out about it saying "carrying flag", but don't all of the Halo HUDs reference when you have the enemies flag?

Redford

aka Cabbie
Wonder what it'll be like when you've finished a game you've been dropped into halfway, and you're someone like me who always backs out of the post-game lobby. I can see people being constantly fucked over with multiple drop-in losses. I never have, and don't really want to, play with the same people over and over, especially if my teammates are consistently garbage.

What weapon is that showing on the right? It looks like a concussion rifle.

Probably in the top 10 worst sandbox additions. :(

Before the flag bomb was dropped I was very excited at the look of that new map. Absolutely delicious, the visuals in this game stellar as usual.

Ghaleon, when you gonna elaborate on interesting?

Who ever said there was anything wrong with one man army elements? Nobody.

Your post suggested 343 were trying to move away from the flag carrier being a 'one man army'. I wondered what was wrong with it in the first place.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Never really played 2. I was a Noob thinking smg starts were bad-ass

SMG starts was awesome.

That way I didn't have to wait to get the most powerful gun in the game (SMG)

You pulse it and people holding BRs just melted before my eyes. Coupled with a pistol, you could take someone out before they even got their 3rd BR shot in.

People just don't know how to handle power, sometimes.

Everyone was freaking out about it saying "carrying flag", but don't all of the Halo HUDs reference when you have the enemies flag?

Was freaking out about the waypoint.

SMG starts was awesome.

That way I didn't have to wait to get the most powerful gun in the game (SMG)

You pulse it and people holding BRs just melted before my eyes. Coupled with a pistol, you could take someone out before they even got their 3rd BR shot in.

People just don't know how to handle power, sometimes.

All someone would need to do is get some distance on you and an SMG becomes complete shit. SMG starts in BTB and on shit like Burial Mounds was the height of game play stupidity.

CliQ

I really am having a problem with the Recon controller scheme (which is what I will use if this is the final scheme). I really don't think having sprint mapped to X is a good idea.

343i if you see this please consider this scheme for recon.

LT - Grenade
RT - Shoot
LB - Sprint
RB - Armor Ability
LStick - Move/Crouch
RStick - Look/Zoom
Y - Switch Weapon
X - Reload/Action
B - Melee
A - Jump
Dpad - Switch nades/Flashlight/whatever else
Back - Scoreboard
Start - Menu

Making the bumpers your go-to buttons for sprint and AA makes your thumbs free to continue to look around. Think about it, how many armor abilities are going to let you shoot while you use them?

Thruster - No
Hardlight - No
Camo - its probably a toggle so you will be free to shoot
Jetpack - May be tricky but I would take that trade.
PM - not sure but its probably a toggle so you will be free to shoot

With the current scheme it seems like it will be very weird trying to turn and sprint at the same time.

Again, 343i please consider.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I really am having a problem with the Recon controller scheme (which is what I will use if this is the final scheme). I really don't think having sprint mapped to X is a good idea.

343i if you see this please consider this scheme for recon.

LT - Grenade
RT - Shoot
LB - Sprint
RB - Armor Ability
LStick - Move/Crouch
RStick - Look/Zoom
Y - Switch Weapon
X - Reload/Action
B - Melee
A - Jump
Dpad - Switch nades/Flashlight/whatever else
Back - Scoreboard
Start - Menu

Making the bumpers your go-to buttons for sprint and AA makes your thumbs free to continue to look around. Think about it, how many armor abilities are going to let you shoot while you use them?

Thruster - No
Hardlight - No
Camo - its probably a toggle so you will be free to shoot
Jetpack - May be tricky but I would take that trade.
PM - not sure but its probably a toggle so you will be free to shoot

With the current scheme it seems like it will be very weird trying to turn and sprint at the same time.

Is it hold sprint to keep it activated or is it press to activate?

CliQ

Is it hold sprint to keep it activated or is it press to activate?

Not sure if its a toggle then it will change everything. But, if its like Reach then its a hold which would be pretty weird for me. I just wouldn't like that at all. But would you really want to take your thumb off your aim stick to sprint? the only time I would like to take my thumb off aim stick is you reload. Which is a reasonable reason.

Haha, take it easy. I don't think you realised what I was asking. I was asking for source about the removal of the Brute Shot.

CC was Reach's replacement for the brute shot, since CC is confirmed to be back I just don't see them adding the brute shot too, it'd be stupid. Quite simple.

tumblr_m847htsI7O1rrgkzy.gif

Seriously i dont know if this has already been brought up but did ANY of you come to think this was just a CTF variant Gametype, Or are you all just that quick to freak the frag out.

Wow its not like we have seen Halo 4 footage almost confirming Classic CTF and the fact that Frank and Ellis Said Explicitly that they were going to release an already Talk but not Confirmed NEW gametype seriously people Chill

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if its a toggle then it will change everything. But, if its like Reach then its a hold which would be pretty weird for me. I just wouldn't like that at all.
You don't have to hold to sprint in Reach.

1. recon is supposed to emulate halo 3's default control scheme with action/reload on the bumper. so this change you want wouldn't make it the recon control scheme anymore.

2. sprint is technically a toggle. you can just tap it once and hold the joystick forward and you'll be in sprint mode, and you keep running until you run out or you let go of the stick.

Not sure if its a toggle then it will change everything. But, if its like Reach then its a hold which would be pretty weird for me. I just wouldn't like that at all. But would you really want to take your thumb off your aim stick to sprint? the only time I would like to take my thumb off aim stick is you reload. Which is a reasonable reason.

no it's not. (i'm assuming its the same in 4)

Hey has anyone gotten Your console can't connect to Xbox Live error when trying to have a guest? It boots me out of the MP lobby every time for some reason. I can go into matchmaking no problem alone. I also get an error failed to read gamer profile settings. Any ideas?

CliQ

Right but it's an armor ability and it's not X for Recon.

I think it'll be fine at it stands right now.

Man X for sprint just seems so wrong. Your going to be sprint ALL THE TIME. Think of how much your thumb will be off aim stick if your constantly sprinting everywhere.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Man X for sprint just seems so wrong. Your going to be sprint ALL THE TIME. Think of how much your thumb will be off aim stick if your constantly sprinting everywhere.

We'll see. I don't think we have any impressions from Recon players.

Reach was toggle, it would stop when you stopped moving forward.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Plenty of people use Bumper Jumper in Reach, and that has Sprint on X. I've never had an issue with it.

Omni

I don't know if it's because I've been gaming on PC and am used to a higher standard of graphics, but dat ground texture... ew.

Something about Halo 4's visuals just don't look right to me. Can't quite put my finger on it.

/complaining about something else.

I don't know if it's because I've been gaming on PC and am used to a higher standard of graphics, but dat ground texture... ew.

Something about Halo 4's visuals just don't look right to me. Can't quite put my finger on it.

/complaining about something else.

Considering I live in the desert, and what grass does exist looks exactly as shitty as that, this seems fine to me.

Cw6nG.gif

But as you can clearly see, they have evolved into different roles.

Yeah... what's your point? Could the Brute Shot or Concussion Rifle not have been changed in much the same way then? Are we only allowed to assume one line of logic or something?

I mean, yeah, don't get me wrong, I can totally see why people are guessing it won't be in. I'm right there too. I just thought because Monster said there was none at all that there was some official line on the matter. Seems a bit weird to me to flat out deduce that there is none.

Maybe it's just me? I dunno. Oh well.

Top Bottom